HER BESTFRIEND

My Phony Ladylove

1 DAY AGO

"Arggggh!" Lisa groaned as she stirred in her sleep upon hearing the non-stop ringing of her phone. She checked it for the time, ignoring the caller. Upon checking, she got more irritated. It was only 5:30 in the morning.

Last night, she and her mom went home late. They had to complete last minute orders at their flower shop. They expected the surge of customers since Valentine's Day is fast approaching but they didn't expect them to be that many. 

It had only been a month since they relocated their home and flower shop in Seoul, hoping to get more customers to earn their keep. It was then they realized that it was a good decision.

Once they got home, she had to stay up until wee hours to finalize some papers that were required for the job she's trying to apply to. So basically, she doesn't have enough sleep yet. Answering her phone is the last thing she wants to do.

Unfortunately for her, the ringing didn't stop. She was about to turn her phone off when she realized she needed it for her alarm to work. Feeling defeated, she lets out a loud, frustrated groan and answered the phone without even checking who the caller is.

"WHOEVER YOU ARE, YOU BETTER HAVE A GOOD EXPLANATION AS TO WHY YOU ARE DISTURBING MY SLEEP! IT'S 5 IN THE MORNING!! THE SUN HAVEN'T EVEN RISE UP YET AND I HAVEN'T HAD ENOUGH SLEEP YET!!" She yelled.

"Calm dow..." The caller wasn't able to finish what she was saying since Lisa interrupted.

"DON'T YOU DARE TELL ME TO CALM DOWN!! HAVE YOU EVER HEARD A SAYING THAT SAYS 'TALK TO SOMEONE WHO'S DRUNK BUT NEVER TO SOMEONE WHO HAS JUST WOKE UP?!!'" She angrily said.

"CAN YOU JUST LET ME TALK!" The caller suddenly raised her voice, making Lisa flinch in surprise.

"DID YOU JUST YELL AT ME?!!" Lisa retorted.

"DON'T TELL ME THAT YOU FORGOT MY BIRTHDAY!" The caller said, making her bewildered.

"Birthday?" Lisa muttered to herself. At the very least, she calms down a little.

"HOW COULD YOU FORGET YOU BESTFRIEND'S BIRTHDAY??!!" The caller shouted in irritation.

"Bestfriend?" She muttered again.

"Oh wow. So you don't even remember who your bestfriend is now?" The caller replied, appalled.

"Chaeyoung? Oh. Chaeyoung! It's your birthday today?"

"You're really doing a great job at being my bestfriend, you know. What am I even expecting? You even forgot your own birthday."

"Calm down or else you'll get wrinkles. It's your birthday today and we don't want that happening, right? Our brains are crammed with a massive amount of memories that we have formed over a lifetime of experiences. Although the brain contains detailed representations of lots of different events and objects, we can't always find that information when we want it. That is, although we can hold lots of things in our memory, the details of the memory aren't always crystal-clear and are often limited." Lisa said, closing her eyes. She was about to continue when Chaeyoung interrupted.

"Cut the crap, LALISA MANOBAN!!"

"What I'm saying is, although my brain failed me and forgot about your birthday, my heart remembered." Lisa said as she yawned.

"Oh God. Please leave all the sentimental and scientific crap to yourself, nerd. Don't you dare not come to my party later. I swear I will sever ties with you if I won't see you there." She ends with a threat.

"Although I hate the dark places with blinding lights and loud music and people drinking booze, making bad decisions and reckless behaviors, it's still your birthday and I promised to be there." She said lazily, wanting to drift off to sleep already.

"You're such a wacko. Be there at 8 PM. You know the address." Chaeyoung said but there wasn't any reply from Lisa.

"Lisa? Are you still there? You haven't even greeted me properly yet. What kind of bestfriend are you?" Chaeyoung said, totally annoyed.

"I'm still here. Yeah yeah, I'll be there. And I definitely know the address of your favorite bar after having to bring you home so many times because apparently you're too drunk to drive."

"You just have to remind me."

"Yes I had to." She laughed before continuing.

"Anyway, since I'm not there and I'm too sleepy to even lift my arm, just imagine me bringing you your favorite cake with a cute candle in the middle." She then started singing a birthday song for Chaeyoung.

"You, crazy girl. Thanks for the sleepy version of the birthday song. I'm really sorry for calling you this early. I thought you were already awake since you mentioned yesterday that you'll be up and about at this time to finalize your papers for your job application. Since I already got my greetings and I know how much you hate it when people disturb your sleep, I'll leave you alone for now." Chaeyoung replied and silence was Lisa's reply. Chaeyoung sighed. She can't believe her friend just slept on her.

"Sleep tight, my friend. See ya later." Chaeyoung said as she ends the call.

"I better start the day early. I still have a lot of things to do." She continued.

-------------------------------------------------

Character Preview:

PARK CHAEYOUNG, 23 years old, Korean Fashion Industry's newbie

She was born with a silver spoon in . Her father owns a chain of restaurants, which were popular not only to Koreans since they have just expanded their market to Japan and China. 

As soon as Chaeyoung graduated from college, she started her own clothing line, a brand which was slowly getting the spotlight for its unconventional, eccentric yet classy pieces. She was starting flourish in the fashion industry.