Chapter 4

The way you fall

The empress met Mina when the girl was 6 for the first time. It was very obvious the little girl didn't want to be at the event, even if it was her birthday. Mina kept clinging to her mother's arm and hid behind her back whenever someone she didn't know approached them. The empress wanted to meet little Mina. Not only because she thought the girl was absolutely adorable but she has a daughter the same age. She hoped the two could become friends. Sana only has Momo, who would stay as long as her mother stays in the kitchen. A friend like Mina would be needed after Momo leaves to pursue her dreams. The empress decided to take a chance and talk with the minister's daughter and her mother after the little girl finished her ballet performance. Mrs. Myoui was apologetic for her daughter's shyness, as Mina hid behind her once again. The empress only smiled and kneeled on the floor to be at Mina's height. After a few moments of that Mina moved in front and bowed to the empress. Mrs. Myoui was surprised at that. Her daughter wouldn't even talk with her father most of the time. Mina only talked to her mother and here the empress was able to make her daughter comfortable. Sure, Mina actually didn't say a word but she was smiling and nodding along to the empress's words. When the encounter was nearing an end, the empress mentioned Sana and wished that Mina would want to be friends with her. Mina was still too shy and wouldn't meet with Sana for a long time. 
The empress met with Mina many more times and the first time the girl conversed with her was very heartwarming. The empress was more and more convinced that Mina was a perfect match for her daughter. It changed a little bit though when the empress noticed Sana's weird behavior. Her daughter's first love was obvious. She could see Sana's affectionate stares from afar. She was a little taken aback when Sana developed feelings for their cook apprentice, who was a girl. She didn't mind it actually. How could she when her daughter looked so happy. So if Sana preferred her own gender, the empress accepted that wholeheartedly. She pained at one thing. That she couldn't provide Sana with freedom. The empress couldn't let her marry who she wanted. The imperial family is too traditional.  When the time for Sana to marry had come, the empress got an idea. If she couldn't let Sana marry someone she loves, she will provide her with someone she can fall in love with and have her at her side. It wasn't the best idea. Her daughter is too righteous and probably wouldn't agree but she wanted to give Sana happiness. That's how she found herself in front of Myoui's house to ask Mina to be her daughter's tutor. That's all she would do and the rest would be in their own hands.

The time passed too fast for everyone's liking. Two months flew as if it was just a second. But not everyone wasted their time. Sana and Mina were meeting every day since they started the supposed project and after they were done those meetings ensued. The two were doing many things, things that Sana didn't exactly did with Momo before. Like strolling around the gardens at night, watching stars, watching Mina observing the world with sparkles in her eyes. Sana wouldn't admit she was mostly watching Mina though. They talked for hours and never got bored. They goofed around and forgot completely about chemistry and physics. So can you blame the princess that she didn't exactly think of Jeongyeon for the entire two months? The president's daughter had to come back to Seoul for important events. And Sana thought she would miss her. It worried her that she didn't. She actually only knew Jeongyeon came back from Dahyun that visited a few times to play for the family.  She tried to ignore it. She likes Jeongyeon, right? 


"Why are keep taking photos of me?" Mina finally let out after ten minutes of Sana just taking photos of her, instead of the actual thing she was supposed to capture. Which was the beginning of their project. Mina needed the photos so that she had a copy of the model. In case Sana destroyed it on accident. Sana laughed awkwardly and lowered the camera.
"Because you are beautiful." She wasn't supposed to say it out loud. She was going to say something cool. Something that wouldn't make the atmosphere weird. Mina stared at her for a moment and then giggled. 
"I hope you would find the model beautiful. Take the photos, I need them." Mina's voice was playful. That made Sana want to play along. She wanted to make the tutor bashful, for whatever reason. 
"I don't know. Those chimnies don't have breathtaking smiles and soft voices that make me feel warm." Mina froze. Sana had a playful smirk on her face and high-fived herself for achieving her goal. Mina wasn't looking her way. Her head was turned away but Sana could tell that the tutor was flustered. 
"You should keep those compliments for Jeongyeon." That answer startled the princess. That was the first time she thought about Jeongyeon that day. Her mind was so preoccupied with Mina that she didn't think much about anything else. 
"I-" Before she could say anything a loud knock interrupted her. They both glanced at the door and waited. But no one walked in. Another knock.
"You should open the door." Sana moved right away at Mina's suggestion. Or maybe it wasn't a suggestion. Whatever that was she took the handle and revealed Hidenori.
"I am sorry for interrupting. Dinner is ready. You two should join us." The two girls looked at the clock and only then noticed that it was nearing 8.  Mina stood up and started packing her things. 
"I will take my leave. Thank you for having me, Sana. I will come by tomorrow around the same time. Have a good night. Sir." Before she could leave, Sana caught her arm.
"You should stay for dinner. It is late and before you get home it would be too late to eat. Please." Sana thought she got it. Until Mina removed her hand from her arm and bowed to Hidenori and her.
"I am sorry. I need to go. I had a great time though. Don't eat our model." Mina smiled at Sana and then at Hidenori. But Sana took hold of her again. 
"Wait, I will walk you to the door. Hidenori, you can go to the dining room and inform my parents about it." The man nodded.
"I will. Have a good night, Miss Mina. I will see you tomorrow, then." And Hidenori left them. In an awkward silence. Mina was staring at their joined hands. More like Sana's hand holding hers tightly. 
"Sana. Can we go?" Sana wanted to ask what happened. She thought they had a great time but the tutor suddenly became like that. The only problem was that she couldn't do it. Nothing came out of . So, without letting go of Mina's hand she led them to the entrance. 
Right before the door, she pulled Mina into a hug and then let her go. Yet again, she couldn't focus on anything else but the tutor.
"My! Mina, what are you doing?" The sudden voice scared them. They both jumped away and the empress rushed towards them from the other end of the hallway. "It's late, you need to stay." The empress grabbed Mina's arm and started leading her to the dining room. The tutor glanced at Sana who only shrugged. 
Mina was awkward at the table. She sat between the empress and emperor, right in front of Sana. The princess looked very confused and tried to calm Mina with her smile. It was effective until her parents started bombarding her with questions. No matter how boring Hidenori is, he has some decency at least. He gives them privacy. He never forced them to spend time with him. She was glad that her future husband is a kind person. 
"You need to stay the night, Mina." The empress nodded at her statement. Even the two men found the behavior a little bit off. The empress kept convincing Mina that she should stay for around ten minutes. Sana tried to stop her several times but was ignored. 
"It's just half past 9. I can go home, it's not that late." 
"Nonsense! You don't know what can happen. I will give you just the right pajamas." The empress grasped Mina's hand and dragged her away. The three people left stared at the door blankly.
"What is going on with your mother?" Sana could only shrug.
"How would I know?"

At first, Sana wanted to wait for Mina but when she didn't come back in a while, the princess went to her room. She was busy trying to make sense of her mother's behavior. Since when was she so fond of Mina? She was also worried about something else. Mina acted strangely before and Sana thought it must've been her fault. Why did Mina mention Jeongyeon? Why was she upset from compliments? Sana was lost. Mina always told her she's smart but now she didn't feel like that at all. She should've just asked Mina about it. Albeit, that would be too awkward. Perhaps, she should just wait until Mina tells her?
"May I come in?" Mina peeked through the door. Sana looked at her in the window. Only after a few seconds, the princess turned towards Mina and nodded. The tutor walked in shyly. She was wearing one of the pajamas her mother ordered for Christmas. It was a sweet view. 
"I am sorry for my mother. I don't know what got into her." Sana got on the bed and made herself comfortable under the covers. Mina was still standing awkwardly by the door. 
"It's fine. Your mother is just welcoming." Mina paused for a little moment. Visibly struggling with the thing she wanted to say. Sana waited for Mina to gain courage and say it. "Your mother told me to sleep here. I insisted on getting a different room because it is only logical. But she again said it's nonsense. She pretty much threw me in here. I understand if you don't feel comfortable with this type of arrangement. I will just sleep wherever. Why are you laughing at me?" Sana was giggling while holding her sides. Mina was the cutest girl in the world. The tutor was rumbling so much when she was nervous. It was cruel but Sana wanted to make her nervous more often because of that. The princess calmed and cleared . She put on her best smile to make her words genuine.
"I don't mind. I figured my mom would do something like that. The only way I would not be okay with it is if you weren't comfortable." Mina lowered her head and started waddling to the bed. This looked too cute to be real. So, when Mina got on the bed Sana locked her in a tight hug and patted her head. A surprising thing happened because Mina reciprocated the hug immediately and buried her head into Sana's shoulder. They stayed like that until Mina stiffened for some reason and pulled away and covered herself with the duvet, her back facing Sana. Sana was sitting frozen, confused at the behavior, as well as sad that this moment ended. She lied next to Mina, leaving space between them.
"I hope this will help you sleep, Mina." She whispered and waited for any answer. But she didn't receive any. It bothered her more than it should. She felt upset again. Why is Mina making her feel like this? She feels so much around the tutor but why are negative emotions involved? Why does she feel so dumb right now? 

The empress didn't want to invade her daughter's privacy. Which obviously meant she did. She was walking towards Sana's room acting suspiciously. All the maids were thinking if the empress is feeling okay. In front of her daughter's room, the empress put her ear to the door, to check if the two girls are awake. When she didn't hear a thing, she opened the door and scanned the bed and moved inside. In the bed, Sana was sleeping very close to Mina, she wasn't hugging her but the empress wondered how Sana was able to breathe with her face glued to Mina's back. The sight was endearing. She felt her face light up with a huge grin. Maybe this could work. Perhaps Sana would be happy after all. Then she remembered something. The empress her daughter's head until the girl woke up. Upon seeing her mom, Sana sat up at the speed of the light. 
"Why are you here?" Sana said it louder than she wanted to and glanced at Mina to make sure she didn't wake her up.
"You need to get up. You will have visitors in an hour." Sana stared blankly at her. "Jeongyeon and Dahyun?" The realization fell upon the princess. She completely forgot that Jeongyeon is back. She poked Mina in the back a few times and successfully woke the tutor up. 
"We need to get ready. Mom will give you clothes." Sana jumped off the bed.
"Come, Mina. I will give you some lovely outfit." The empress didn't wait for an answer she grabbed Mina's hand and dragged her out of the room. 

"I really will just go home." Mina tried to avoid the meeting with Jeongyeon and Dahyun with all her might. Sana wasn't sure why. Sure, Mina is shy and has a hard time talking to the people she doesn't know. But is it that big? She wasn't acting so scared when she met with Sana for the first time. 
"Ridiculous. Jeongyeon and Dahyun are very kind. You will like them, Mina. And it's Saturday." On the other hand, Sana's mother was trying to convince Mina to stay with all her might. To be frank, Sana didn't want Mina to go either. But she couldn't say it out loud for some reason. She hoped that Mina understood her without words. Because the princess told her to prepare as well and talked about what they would do together. Probably Sana wasn't obvious enough. "Oh, look. They are here already. Let's go greet them." The empress walked before them. The three of them met the cousins at the front gate. Her mother told them to go to the gardens instead of sitting inside. Mina's phone rang for the first time. She stared at the screen but didn't pick up. She put it away when it stopped ringing.
"Good morning, your imperial majesty. Sana, I'm ecstatic to see you again after so long." Jeongyeon bowed respectfully at the two and Dahyun just said hi and mirrored her cousin's action. The empress pulled Mina to her side.
"It's good to see you two. This is Mina." Mina stood there awkwardly with fear written on her face. Sana couldn't look at this and decided to take the attention from the tutor.
"Mina is my friend. She will join us today." Jeongyeon and Dahyun nodded and smiled welcomely. Jeongyeon would finally meet the person that made Sana feel smart again.

The four were strolling lazily around the gardens. Mina and Dahyun were a few meters away from Jeongyeon and Sana. The princess was looking back at Mina every minute. She wasn't sure if it was to check if the tutor feels comfortable or to see if Dahyun was behaving and wasn't, she felt dumb for thinking this, flirting with Mina. The two were getting along very well. Dahyun made Mina laugh a lot. 
"Everything's alright, Sana?" Sana looked back at Jeongyeon after most likely glaring at Dahyun for a while. 
"Yes. Why do you ask?" She cleared and fought with her mind not to glance behind again.
"You keep looking back. Are you worried that Dahyun will make Mina uncomfortable? She is very mindful if she noticed Mina being uncomfortable she would call you." Jeongyeon squeezed her hand and Sana smiled at her weakly. 
"You are right. I'm being silly." The president's daughter shook her head.
"Not at all. I think it means you are a good friend. It's very cute." Sana thought that maybe Jeongyeon was right. Then the princess realized it became too quiet. She looked back and the other two were gone. Her heart stopped for a moment and her stomach dropped. 
"Where are they?" Her voice was high, sounded very distressed. Jeongyeon followed her vision and indeed Dahyun and Mina were nowhere to be seen. 
"Dahyun probably said, let's ditch them, I don't want to third-wheel. Don't worry, they won't get lost." This wasn't the reason for her reaction. They had to find the other two. 
"We gotta find them. The gardens look harmless but I got lost here when I was 6." Jeongyeon raised her brow at that. She wanted to say something and make Sana feel at peace. Albeit, the princess stormed away. She could only follow.

"Aren't they too obvious? A blind man could tell they like each other. I'm surprised the empress didn't notice anything." Dahyun was lying on the grass near the fountain. She suggested that Mina and she should ditch the other two, she didn't like third-wheeling. Mina was sitting on the fountain looking at her reflection.
"I know. But Sana is affectionate with everyone. Her mother might just think she's being friendly." Dahyun glanced at Mina. Her words sounded somehow personal. But she didn't want to pry.
"It could be it. Then does she even like Jeongyeon? If she is like that with everyone." Mina was taken aback. She met Dahyun's eyes and knew it wasn't a trick question. The pianist really wondered about that.
"I don't know. Yes. She told me so, at least." 
"There you are, guys. You should inform us before playing hide and seek." Sana rushed towards them and sat next to Mina. She sat so close their legs were touching and Mina wanted to move away. She got stopped when Sana grasped her arm. 
"We weren't playing. You weren't supposed to find us." Dahyun sat up and glared at her cousin. Jeongyeon just shrugged.
"We are spending time together. So let's not leave." The president's daughter stated and Dahun rolled her eyes.
"Yes! Let's be together the whole time. Just like that. In these exact positions. No changing." Somehow Sana sounded threatening and Dahun didn't dare to move a muscle. Jeongyeon finally sat on the grass in front of Sana. "What were you two doing?" The princess looked at Mina, as she only trusted her with getting an honest reply.
"Just talking." Good. Sana nodded content. 
"We were just talking as well." Dahyun snorted and Jeongyeon elbowed her in the ribs. It didn't stop the pianist from talking.
"I have a hard time believing you two weren't making out there." Jeomgyeon slapped her over the head and Sana glared daggers at her. 
"Why would we do that?!" The princess sounded offended. Something that no one expected. If they remember correctly Sana was gushing over Jeongyeon just two months ago. What happened in those months. 
"Yeah. We don't have a reason to do that." Jeongyeon still sounded hurt even if she tried to hide it. Dahyun had to know what happened.
"Maybe I just dreamt you two flirting in front of me for few hours straight." And there was silence. It was something neither of them could deny. Sana didn't like lying but if she did she would say that she was just friendly. 
"Let's go back to the house. I am sure the lunch will be soon." Mina tried to make the atmosphere less suffocating. She didn't want to sit there anymore. She was ready to call her mother back, as she ignored a few calls from her. Just so that she didn't have to be there.
"That's a good idea. I'm getting hungry anyway." Dahyun backed her up and all of them headed for the house. Sana still holding Mina's arm tightly. 

Sana was sitting on her balcony stargazing. That was accompanied by deep thinking. About today but also about every day since she met Mina. The tutor left right after lunch saying she needs to go to work. Sana believed her. Mina never lied to her. She buried her face into her hands. What is happening to her? It wasn't right. She likes Jeongyeon. 
"Sana, why are you up so late?" Her mother put a blanket over her shoulders and sat next to her. 
"I don't know." Sana didn't look at her mother. She still had her face covered by her hands. The empress pulled her into her embrace.
"Is it about Mina?" She couldn't tell her mother. It was too risky.
"I'm just worried about her health. She needs to work so hard." That wasn't very convincing but it was all she could come up with right then. The empress got her confirmation. Her daughter needed to figure that out herself.
"I understand. You care about her a lot." Sana only nodded. The two stayed at the balcony for a little longer and then the empress put her daughter to bed. Literally. Sana fell asleep on her and she didn't want to wake her. Let's just say that Sana isn't 5 years old anymore and she isn't in her 20s anymore. She was able to carry her daughter without falling. The empress kissed Sana's forehead before leaving.

"Isn't Mina coming here today?" Momo was lying on her tummy munching on jellies. She came to see Sana after lunch. She was actually supposed to meet with Nayeon as well but the girl ditched her for Jihyo. Not that she isn't happy her friend got a girlfriend. But Nayeon was always with Jihyo. Maybe it was also the reason for Mina to come to the palace so often. 
"No. She is at work." Sana sounded like someone kicked her puppy. She was sitting next to Momo hugging the huge dog plushie she got from Mina.
"You don't like that, do you? I can see your pout even from behind that plushie. Mina spoiled you by being here so often." Momo felt pain on her left thigh. Sana smacked her there. "Dude! What the hell?!" 
"You are mean. Mina didn't spoil me. She enjoys my company and that's why she is here. I love to have her close anyway." Momo would say that Sana likes Mina if she didn't know her friend is into Jeongyeon. Or maybe she was too dense to notice what was the case. 
"Okay, sorry. You know, you two know each other for three months and Nayeon and Jihyo are dating for around two but we had never hanged out together. You know us and them including Mina's other friends." Sana considered Momo's words for a moment. She would like to meet Mina's friends. They make the tutor happy so she likes them even if she doesn't know them. Only from what Mina and Nayeon told her. 
"It sounds nice. But I would have to schedule it. We will do some public events. Also, I can't just leave Hidenori alone here." Momo snorted.
"Isn't that what you are doing right now?" 
"No. It is our alone time. I pretty much spend every day until 4 with him and then we have dinner together and some other activities and part for bed again." The dancer rolled her eyes. The princess liked to avoid certain encounters. Obviously, she was worried about many things. She's the future empress and her appearing in public can cause some unwanted attention. 
"Don't worry. Take a free day or something. He won't mind. And we will just meet at Mina and Jihyo's. Nayeon told me they have a whole house for themselves and that Chaeyoung and Tzuyu practically live there. It will be cool." Sana sighed heavily. She wanted to do that. Nonetheless, she had to remember about her responsibility. 
"I will talk to my mom. Though, I will have to keep it secret from my dad."  Momo grinned at her and pushed her playfully.
"That's all I ask. Let's call Nayeon so that I can annoy her. I'm angry with her for ditching me for the hundredth time." Sana laughed at her friend's silliness. Albeit, she joined in the masterplan of irritating Nayeon. It helped her distract herself from her constant overthinking.

The air was suffocating. Mina was sitting in the office with her head down. She was trying to hold her tears in with all the strength she had. She couldn't say anything because she had a lump in . Her father sat in front of her with a grimace.
"I am very disappointed. You prefer to act silly instead of like an adult. I understand there are many benefits from your "friendship" with the princess but you are taking it too seriously. I don't want people talking. Some of them already asked if my daughter isn't normal as she never speaks, then that she never shows up, now that you don't have a man yet. Look at me." He paused. Mina wished her mother was there. She would help her. But she was working. She didn't know her father took Mina for a talk. She had to face it herself. She slowly raised her head and met her father's icy glare.
"You will distance herself from the princess. She will get married soon anyway and she won't remember you. You need to focus on your work. On making our family name memorable. Make me proud for once. Be like your brother. Find yourself a man, he will make you better. Now, go back to your work and don't tell your mother about it. Keep quiet as you did for all those years as a child. Sometimes I miss this." Mina got up and bowed to her father. He wasn't like that all the time. Or so Mina liked to think. She was sure her father felt hurt by her when she was a child. She would never say a word to him for 7 years of her life. After that, he was hard on her and the only person keeping her sane was her mom. 
"I am sorry, father. I will do as you say. Have a good day." Mina left the room and went straight to the restroom to let her tears fall.