When We Were Young

Helpless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: Pardon me if I didn't post the second chapter as soon as I had anticipated I would. I actually had the bulk of this chapter written since early October but then I got sick and it was a while before I recovered fully and was able to type it up, hence the delay. I'm still continuing with this story, and while it doesn't seem to be as much of a hit as its predecessor was, I still highly appreciate each and every one of you who have subscribed, upvoted, and of course, commented so far. 

This chapter is actually a flashback (hence the tense change) and thus does not directly pick up from the previous chapter. However, it could be read as if either Kris or Lay is thinking back to these events from many years ago. It gives more background to their relationship and sets events in motion that lead to how they are in the "present-day" setting of the first chapter. 

~~

Yifan sighed as the door clicked shut behind him. He propped one hand on the wall beside him to steady himself as he removed his shoes to change into his slippers. Adjusting his bag on his shoulder, he called out to the dark apartment, “Lay?”

“In here!” called out the voice of his roommate from one of the bedrooms.

 “Can I come in?” Yifan asked as he chucked his bag into the other room – his room, which was right across the one where Yixing’s muffled voice came from.

The door to Yixing’s bedroom opened and its occupant stood there with a sleepy expression. “What kind of question is that?” he quipped. “You know you’re always welcome in my bedroom.”

Yifan chuckled as he pressed a kiss to Yixing’s forehead. “I know, but I figure it’s always best to ask first.”

With a yawn, Yixing ran his hand through his ruffled hair. “And why’s that?”

“Because you’re my boyfriend and I respect your consent.” There was a mischievous glint in Yifan’s eyes, but his words were serious nonetheless.

Despite himself, Yixing blushed. “Oh my god Kris, that’s so cheesy,” he whined with a playful punch to his boyfriend’s shoulder. Kris continued chuckling as he hugged Lay in return. “How was class?” Lay shifted the conversation and yawned again. He stifled a laugh of his own when Kris ended up yawning as well.

“Harrowing,” Kris admitted. “You’re pretty lucky you missed it.”

Yixing frowned. “You know I didn’t want to miss it, though.” He pouted for effect.

“Oh I know, Lay,” Kris responded with a somber tone. “But you have to admit that a chance to be excused from that witch’s class is a precious gift that must be treasured.”

Yixing laughed, but then winced immediately. “You wouldn’t be saying that if you had a migraine as bothersome as this one.”

“Hmmm… that’s true. Longsuffering that class may be, it’s not as agonizing as what you’re feeling.” Yifan nodded, this time seriously considering the tradeoff. “Given that, how are you?”

Yixing grimaced. “The pain reliever has started to kick in, but I still need a full night’s sleep to fully recover.”

“Right, go rest then. I’m just going to reheat some leftovers for dinner and then do some reading for tomorrow’s classes.”

“Can’t you join me in bed? Your presence helps comfort me.” Yixing asked with a hopeful glance. “I know you well Kris, any reading you’re doing is for next week’s classes and not tomorrow’s,” He teased.

Yifan grinned in response. “As you wish, but I’m starving so I promise I’ll join you after I grab dinner. I won’t turn your light on so as not to disturb you so if you hear me crash on your floor do save me the embarrassment. Sounds good?”

Yixing smiled gratefully as he turned to head back to bed. “Sounds perfect.”

--

A loud and persistent buzzing roused Yifan from his sleep. Grudgingly opening his eyes to identify the source of the offending sound, he saw that it was coming from Lay’s phone that was on top of the bedside table. He moved to stop whatever was causing the phone to vibrate but realized that half o his upper body was under Yixing’s torso which was draped over him.

Yixing grumbled in his sleep as the glare from the still vibrating phone hit his face. “Turn ‘toff,” he mumbled. He slid off Yifan and turned away with another sleepy grumble.

As Yifan once again reached for his boyfriend’s phone, he noted that it was 4 A.M. His hand stilled when he saw the name on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter