Don't Speak

Helpless
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Oh my god, is that…” Jongdae gapes.

“Dammit Jongdae, shut your mouth or else we’d be in trouble again,” Baekhyun warns, staring just as intently at the sight before their eyes.

Chanyeol unsuccessfully tries to tug the two away from the glass window of room 408. “Come on you two, I’m sure Dr. Zhang and-“

“Hello, boys.”

“Director Amber!” three voices chorus in mortification.

There’s a dangerous glint in the hospital director’s eyes as she assesses three with raised brows. “What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be at your stations?” She asked.

“I-yes, Director. We were just on our way back from break.” Baekhyun gives a shaky grin as he moves to pull the other two away.

The stern expression on Dr. Liu’s face disappears as she gives them a sly grin. “Very well then, do your best!” she calls out to the rapidly backing away boys.

“Yes, Director!” The three call out with hasty bows as they retreated round the corner.

The door to hospital room 408 opens and Zhang Yixing steps out of it with an unreadable expression on his face. Surprise registers on his features when he realizes who was standing right there in the hallway. “Director Liu, to what do I owe the pleasure?” he asks.

Amber Liu gives a small dismissive wave of her hand. “It’s nothing, Dr. Zhang. I just happened to pass by some kids who need to stop snooping around,” she replies. Her expression becomes somber as she reads the nameplate of the patient confined inside the room. “How is he?” she asks quietly.

Yixing gives a heavy sigh. “He’s doing better since we gave him the dextrose, but he still refuses to physically eat. Any other form of rebellion I can take but this… this is just destructive to himself.”

The door opens behind Yixing and Wu Yifan steps out of it. There’s a hard glint in his eyes when they settle on Yixing’s face, but he gives the cursory bow to address Amber before he wordlessly walks away.

“Should I worry about your and Dr. Yifan’s performance suffering because of this?” Amber asks in a cautious tone.

Yixing shakes his head. “I wouldn’t think so, Director.”

“Very well,” Amber nods once before she bids goodbye to the head of the neurosurgery department.

--

“We need to talk,” Zhang Yixing says as he knocks on the clinic door of Wu Yifan. There’s no response from the other side of the door which he takes as a yes. He enters and sees the silhouette of Yifan as he looks out of the window of his clinic to the hospital grounds below.

“Kris, I don’t know what to do about Tao.”

Yifan slowly pulls away from the window to look at him. “And what makes you think I do?” he asks quietly.

Yixing gives a shaky sigh. “I- I don’t know. He’s always listened to you and I thought you would have any ideas what to do. I can’t lose him too, Kris. Not after Li Yin…”

At the mention of Yixing’s sister, Yifan’s expression hardens.  “I think,” he begins slowly, “That you should think about what Li Yin would want before you come running to me with your questions about how to handle Tao.” There’s bitterness in his tone and he refuses to look at Yix

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter