001

I Remember You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Abhuji!!! How could you just... all those are my hard work! The paintings I’ve worked so hard for years! How could you...”

The young aristocrat dropped onto his knees in front of the flames those were engulfing a several portfolios containing his drawings of years, horrified eyes filling with utter disbelief. His father continued to throw in more sheets of Chinese canvas, tough face with greying beard depicting absolutely no expression at all, let alone mercy.

“Abhuji...! please consider my words just once...”

The middle aged nobleman’s blank eyes turned towards his eldest son, the aged slits filling with venom and arrogance.

“Why would I consider the words of a shameless son who brought shame upon his father and his entire household? The word has spread all over the capital already about The Noble Lord Kim’s eldest son being madly in love with a filthy slave girl! And what makes you think that I do what you want?”

The eighteen-year-old bent his head, down casting his tear filled eyes those are rumoured to be beautiful enough to surpass the King’s sons’ and daughters’. “I thought you were staying up late into the night studying for the state exam, and this is what you’ve been doing the whole time? Painting that despicable face again and again?” his father held out the last portrait left in his hand, the face of a shyly smiling girl beautifully painted on it.

His love.

The love he lost.

It was torn in half right in front of the young man’s eyes.

“Abhuji... please... not that one...” hastily getting back on his feet, he reached for his favourite work. “Please abhuji... no that one... ABHUJI!!!”

The two torn parts of the portrait were dropped carelessly on to the blazing flames, and two burly menservants who came from behind held the youth back as he struggled to reach the fire.

“Lock him up in his room. No food until I command.”

The nobleman walked away.

Trapped in the hold of the two strong men by his arms, those were only trained to portray the fantasies on earth but not to fight back, he had long forgotten the ways he was brought up, taught to hold back emotions as a real man.

‘Men don’t cry.’

‘You’re the eldest of the household.’

‘Keep your honour and glory of our family.’

‘Know your place and let go of that filth already.’

 

Pearly tears glistened their way down the porcelain white skin, dropping off the soft jaw line and seeping into the finest silk robes cladding the broad shoulders. Even the passersby outside the manor walls heard the unusual and heart wrenching cries coming over the guarded walls, and were quick enough to grasp the situation and whisper to each other about the hottest topic in the capital since weeks.

Yet none of them knew the pain of the stranded youth.

No one.

Not even the maiden he loved.

Left alone between the walls of his parents’ grand manor with no means to live, he could do nothing but shed endless tears as he watched the last remains of the one he loved get buried in flames and burn away into ashes.

* * * *

He woke up with a start, his eyes still stinging with tears.

And the undefined pain which ran through his chest while he was dreaming, was strangely still there.

 

“If you don’t wake up now... it’ll be late to school and you’ll miss my special menu for today’s breakfast!”

He sat up in his bed, rubbing his eyes and tear stained cheeks, tangled in his blankets. His mom was standing by the door way to his bedroom, leaning on the doorframe with her usual smile of warmth.

“Get ready and come out quickly like a good boy.”

* * * *

“Good morning appa.”

The feigned cheerfulness at the other end of the call was too obvious, making the return of greeting by the girl colder than she intended it to be.

“Why does my daughter sound so gloomy on her first day at school? Shouldn’t you be happy and cheerful?”

Yooju didn’t bother replying.

“So are you on your way to school? How’re the bus services there? Crowded?”

“Not much. I got a seat.” She muttered.

“Waah... my girl is lucky as always!”

She almost scoffed.

“Appa I’m gonna hang up. Take care.”

Before her father could shower her with overly affectionate ‘good bye’s and ‘take care my sweetheart’s and ‘don’t trip on your way to school’s, she ended the call.

Hate it when he acts like he actually cares.

The girl stared out of the window, afraid and embarrassed that her new neighbours will notice her tears.

 

“Get up you nitwit! That’s my seat!”

Yooju turned around at the suddenly raised voice coming from the last seat, once the bus stopped and a several students got on. And strangely, she was the only one in the bus who cared to pay attention.

She barely saw a pale face with black rimmed glasses, standing up from his seat.

Head bent down, clutching his light brown leather back pack.

“Aish the seat smells of his nerdiness already!” the rowdy looking boy who flopped on the offered seat remarked aloud. The previous owner of the seat hung his backpack over one shoulder, and remained silent while holding onto a pole nearby.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter