Just A Kiss

Just A Kiss

 

Listening to the song while you read is optional, but I do encourage it.  You can listen to it here.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Staring at the calendar that sat on the table, Heechul's eyes zeroed in on that day's date - February 14th.

An entire year had already passed without Hangeng.  Heechul was surprised he had made it this far; surprised that he hadn't fallen into that inevitable state of pure misery and depression due to the absence of the man who had kept him rooted to the earth.  His absence from the dorm. from the band, from the minds of his brothers, from where his presence had been permanently burned into Heechul's heart; his absence from Heechul's world was the only thing he was conscious of.  On any other day, it wouldn't have hurt so much.  But it was February 14th, and Heechul was in pain.

 

February 14th (one year ago)

 

Heechul sobbed into his pillow.  His entire body shook with the intensity at which the tears left his eyes and the cries left his mouth.  How could Hangeng leave him?  How could he abandon and break all the ties he had made whilst being a member of Super Junior?

Heechul let a scream of anger, sadness, and frustration rip threw his throat.  The sound was muffled by the pillow, not allowing his misery and despair to escape the confines of that room.

He hadn't believed it when he had been told that Hangeng would leave that day.  Out of all the days in an entire year, why that day? That one day they could have really expressed how much they loved each other. 

In an effort to numb the pain and momentarily forget the sadness that overwhelmed him, Heechul fell into the welcoming arms of sleep, his sobs lapsing into quiet snores.  The flow of tears that ran down his face ceased as his eyes fluttered closed.  Sleep overcame him, acting as a vanguard, serving to avoid the throbbing that he felt inside at the knowledge that in a matter of hours, Hangeng would no longer be within his grasp.

As Heechul dreamed, Hangeng walked into the room, careful not to make any sound that would wake the man that lay across the farthest bed.  He was dressed for travel, a scarf dangling lazily around his shoulders, a cap set loosely on his tousled hair.  His lips curved into a sad smile as he approached Heechul's bed, gazing with loving eyes at the man he was being forced to leave.

Hangeng bent over and swept the bangs out of Heechul's smooth, handsome face.  He looked peaceful, all of the worried lines that had been present in his expression gradually disappearing with every breath he took.  Hangeng let his lips brush lightly over Heechul's forehead, forever marking it with the imprint of the love and affection he felt.

He bent in closer; close enough to whisper something into Heechul's ear.  He couldn't be sure if the whisper would get through to him, but he tried nonetheless.

Straightening up, Hangeng shot his lover one last smile, tears spilling over and landing on the carpeted floor.  Before the sound of his heart breaking woke Heechul, Hangeng left the room, left the house, left the band, entrusting his heart to Heechul.

 

February 14th (now)

 

Heechul sprung up, knocking over the wooden chair that he had resided on.  He remembered vaguely, a voice that had whispered something into his ear the day that Hangeng left.  What had the voice said?  He paced the room, wracking his brains, trying to clear up the fog that covered that distant memory like a curtain.

"Check the photo album."

What?  Which photo album?  Heechul's eyes automatically rose to gaze up at a thick book that sat on a shelf of the living room bookcase.  Without thinking, he walked over and reached up to grab the thick, leather-bound album.  His heart froze as he realized what it was - the photo album he had made with Hangeng; a compilation of pictures they had taken together.  Though his heart screamed at him to stop, he flipped it open, the memories that met his eyes forcing him to his knees.  More wetness sprung to his eyes as they roamed over the beautiful face that had always lit up his world.  The smile that had set his heart on fire.

A small envelope fell out of the book, hitting the floor with a dull thud.  Heechul picked it up gingerly and opened it, almost scared of what he would find.  There was a note towards the front of the envelope, which Heechul opened and began to read.

 

Heechul,

                I don't know if you'll ever find this, but I just wanted to leave you this before you began to think I left without loving you.  I wrote this song, and while I did, I thought of you.  Forgive me for not giving this to you personally.  Some things are just better left unsaid until the right moment.

-Hangeng

 

Lyin' here with you so close to me.  It's hard to fight these feelings when it feels so hard to breathe.
Caught up in this moment; caught up in your smile.

I've never opened up to anyone.  So hard to hold back when I'm holding you in my arms.
We don't need to rush this.  Let's just take it slow.

Just a kiss on your lips in the moonlight.  Just a touch of the fire burning so bright.
No, I don't wanna mess this thing up.  No, I don't wanna push too far.

I know that if we give this a little time.  It'll only bring us closer to the love we wanna find.
It's never felt so real, no it's never felt so right.

Just a shot in the dark that you just might.  Be the one I've been waiting for my whole life.
So baby, I'm alright, with just a kiss goodnight.

 

Heechul's whole face was wet with tears as he emptied the remaining contents of the envelope into his hand.  Something round and cold landed in his open palm.  He gazed down at a small band of silver.  He seemed to forget how to breathe as he examined the engraving that sparkled on the inside edge of the ring.

Happy Valentine's Day, Heechul.  I love you.

Tears falling freely, Heechul slipped the ring onto his finger, wrapping his arms around himself to restrain the sobs; to keep himself from falling apart.

I love you, too, Hangeng.  Happy Valentine's Day.

 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note that the song is NOT by Hangeng.  It is the original song of Lady Antebellum.