Reunion (fin.)

Rogue Sister

Jeongyeon returned the doll with the pink dress back to its original place and looked at the cabinet near the innermost part of the room. Out of all the toys Momo owns in the room, the ones in that cabinet are the prettiest and the most exquisite. 

She glanced through the glass that separated her from the toys, speaking to the Palace Sister next to her. “I still can’t touch them, can I?” 

“No way,” Momo immediately replied, giving her a side glance. 

Jeongyeon couldn’t help but chuckle. It was understandable since those in that particular cabinet were the most precious ones to Momo. It hadn’t been long since they became acquainted and though there was a certain level of trust, it wasn’t enough for Momo to let someone else other than her sister touch her belongings. 

“Alright then,” Jeongyeon smiled. “I’m done for the day. I’ll head back to my room.”

“Thank you again, Jeongyeon,” Momo beamed, and headed in the opposite direction.

Jeongyeon noticed the time as she passed the long hallway that led to her room. It was three in the afternoon. The guards would pass by here any minute. Like the routine for the past three months, she ducked into the garderobe swiftly and closed the door. 

While waiting for the guards to pass, she wandered around in the room. Staying hidden reminded her of the first time she met Nayeon. Her mind trailed back to the memory of her first day here.

 

“What are we doing here?” 

“Shh,” the girl silenced.

Both of them listened intently behind the closed door until the footsteps and muttering faded away.

The girl stood up from the bent position earlier and faced Jeongyeon. “Out with it. Why are you, a Runaway, sneaking around in our palace?”

Jeongyeon narrowed her eyes. “Aren’t you one of the Palace Sisters? Why are you helping me?”

The palace sister sighed. “We all know how you would be punished if you were caught. I’m kind enough to not let you experience that.” She looked at Jeongyeon. “Now that I’ve answered your question, why exactly are you here?”

“I’m afraid that is confidential.”

“Wow, really?” she huffed, slightly annoyed but her emotions quickly morphed into a smirk. “I love secrets. I heard you people do good deeds even though the police don't like it. What’s the kind act this time?”

Jeongyeon raised an eyebrow, suspicious that this palace sister seemed to be against the palace police’s favor, but she couldn’t be too careful. She shook her head. “If it were that easy, I wouldn’t be here right now.”

“I’m not letting you leave unless I know your plans.”

Jeongyeon was about to protest, but thought of a better idea. “Well, I’ll just stay in the palace then,” she grinned. 

“What?” The palace sister wasn’t expecting such a response. 

“You heard that right,” Jeongyeon eyed her, amused. “You helped me once; you’re gonna help me again. Trust me, it’s for something good.”

“I'm in for this thrill, but you better not disappoint me,” the other girl warned. She observed Jeongyeon’s leather attire and her long hair tied up in a messy bun. “If you’re gonna stay here, we have to do something about your appearance so the guards won't realise it’s you.”

“This way,” she walked over to a bookshelf. “We’ll go to my room where you will borrow a few of my dresses.”

“But isn’t the door here-”

“You’re not the only one with secrets, you know,” she pulled the book and revealed a hidden hallway. “Only palace sisters know about these, and now that includes you. I’m looking forward to the day you tell me what exactly you’re up to.”

 

Jeongyeon looked down at the dress she was wearing and sighed, wondering how long she had to keep her secret, while disguised as one of the Palace Sisters. 

A movement from the other side of the room snapped Jeongyeon back to reality. She grabbed her blade which she always kept by her side to protect herself. Moving quietly closer to the sound, she came face to face with someone in black. By instincts, Jeongyeon raised her blade, ready to attack, just as the person pointed her gun in defence, causing both of them to freeze in their stance. 

Her glare softened as she realised who it was. “Sana?”

The said girl gasped, wondering how she knew her name. She lowered her gun after recognising the familiar features.

“Jeongyeon?” Sana blinked, amazed at the sight of her appearance and walked closer. “You…you look so different.”

It wasn’t long before she quickly collected herself as her eyebrows furrowed.

“I had no choice,” Jeongyeon sensed the betrayed look in Sana’s expression. “I have a plan.”

“When we split up in the hallway, Nayeon found me and was worried I would get seen by the guards, and hid me in the room,” she continued, recalling the moment. 

“So that was Nayeon...isn’t she a Palace Sister?” Sana asked. “I’m glad she didn’t report you, though.”

“Yeah, but she’s not letting me leave until I explain why I’m in the palace,” Jeongyeon added dejectedly. “She wants to know our mission. Although she saved me, I couldn’t fully trust her. Who knows she might give the secret away.”

The younger girl nodded slowly in acknowledgement, taking it all in. It was too much at once, when she returned to the palace for a different purpose. Suddenly she was reuniting with Jeongyeon, seeing an entirely different version of her, and learning about her side of the story. 

“I’ve missed you,” she said after a moment, looking at Jeongyeon forlornly. “I thought you’ve been captured.”

“I’ve missed you too, Sana,” Jeongyeon replied. 

She closed the distance between them for an embrace, which Sana reciprocated. The room was dim with minimal afternoon sunlight drifting in through the slits. The passing guards must have been long gone. It was peaceful and quiet, but this was their moment. It felt great to see her after a long time. Her hands tightened around Sana’s waist, fingers in contact with her leather jacket. Both of them stayed that way for awhile before they pulled away. 

“How did you get in? This room is one of the secret rooms,” Jeongyeon stated.

“You mentioned a plan earlier. I think I may have guessed what it is,” Sana smirked. “How’s it going?”

“Seems like your critical thinking skills have strengthened,” Jeongyeon grinned, then sighed. “I’m almost there; I just need a little more time.”

Sana nodded. “I’ll wait for your signal whenever you’re ready.”

“We’re going to succeed and leave this palace , I promise.”

The two held each other’s gazes before Sana left through the way she came. 

“I’ll miss this place though,” Jeongyeon thought to herself.