Baby Steps

Everything They Thought

 

 

After concluding a meeting, Tiffany called in Wendy to accompany her for lunch on the nearby restaurant since they will be also brainstorming on some stuff. She also needed to escape from her office since being left alone means being reminded of that faithful night.

 

 

 

“So here Ms Hwang, I think it would be a great idea to accept the renovation offer of Firewall Company in one of your malls in Japan. After all, they’re known for their effective and safe security procedures.” Wendy tells her while showing another letter of proposal.

 

 

 

Tiffany just absentmindedly nods at Wendy for a good thirty minutes until the latter asks if her boss was feeling fine.

 

 

 

“Oh, yes. Just feeling under the weather lately.” She says.

 

 

 

“Are you sure Ms Hwang? You’re kind of not your usual self ever since after the ball last Saturday.” Wendy asks in a soft tone.

 

 

 

Although Tiffany was always strict and imposed a lot of rules on her company, Wendy, her trusted assistant, never once complained. She’s been under Tiffany’s after graduating and was lucky enough to stay for this long since Tiffany loved her work. Never asked too many questions and always does the job correctly. This was also why she never thought of replacing this kid because she almost was a little sister to her. The girl had a degree in business from UCLA, Tiffany’s alma matter that’s why she immediately hired her after graduation. The rest was history.

 

 

 

“Honestly? No. I’ve been thinking about it on the last three days and I’m now regretting my decision of going.”

 

 

 

“But why Ms Hwang? You and you’re friends were all over the news being the prettiest! I wish I could’ve come too, there were many celebrities. Anna Wintour, the Kardashians, Elon Musk, hot CEO’s and Kim – oh!”, Wendy looks down and continues to eat, “Sorry, Ms Hwang.”

 

 

 

Tiffany nods. “It’s okay Wendy. I am glad that the media hasn’t got a hold of the secrets of our relationship although there were little rumors about it. Would be a frenzy if they knew the real story of our sudden cool off.”

 

 

 

“You guys are still not talking?”

 

 

 

“Nope. But I did bump into her that night and that’s what is bothering me. She acted as if we weren’t on a break, like, you know, her old usual flirty self? Yes, a year has passed but Taeyeon just really surprises me on the most unexpected situations.”

 

 

 

“Maybe it’s her way of winning you back Ms Hwang. Taey- I mean, Chairman Kim, has always been really cheerful and playful when she was working with us. I heard from some of my friends that her colleagues and close friends were also like that.”

 

 

 

“Wendy, it’s okay to call her by her first name since you guys worked together,” Tiffany laughs. “Yeah, I did see them too on that night. But winning me back? I wonder what’s up under her sleeves. If she thinks I’m going to go easy on her then she thought wrong.”

 

 

 

“So you’re willing to take her back?” Wendy squeals.

 

 

 

“Not yet. You think your boss is some easy chick?” Tiffany teases.

 

 

 

“Of course, of course. Chairman Kim has to show her efforts and if she tries to hurt you again, I’m not afraid to knock some sense into her head.”

 

 

 

“You think she’ll allow you to do that?”

 

 

 

“She still owes me a meal when I saved her from your wrath on that one late report when she was here.”

 

 

 

It was Tiffany’s turn to laugh. Talking with Wendy eased up her heart and her mind relaxed from thinking and understanding what was Taeyeon planning. 

 

 

 

“By the way, your friends know some of Taeyeon’s friends?” 

 

 

 

“Not personally know them, but one of my friends from college luckily got a scholarship for her master’s in Harvard and told me how popular Chairman Kim and her friends were.”

 

 

 

“Oh, really? Of course she’d be popular being an heir and a genius.”

 

 

 

“Yes but not just that. Chairman Kim’s friends also came from rich families. I also just found out that her best friend Kwon Yuri is Manager Hanje Kwon’s niece and the daughter of the most trusted economist in GK. Chairman Kim also held tutorials when she was in college to help those struggling students financially or academically even if they were known to frequent clubs and slept around. She was the definition of popular.”

 

 

 

Tiffany’s eyes widened from that last information. It wasn’t a surprise that Taeyeon had a lot of people following her but hearing it directly from Wendy surprised her a bit.

 

 

 

“Well, Taeyeon has that popular persona so I won’t be surprised anymore. She just never told me directly.”

 

 

 

“Sorry Ms Hwang.”

 

 

 

“No need to be sorry Wendy. Even before we started dating I’ve already seen enough gossip sites to see her name beside other women or men. Mostly women though.”

 

 

 

“It’s alright Ms Hwang. Besides it’s you that Chairman Kim is running after. You just have to relax and let her come to you.” Wendy cheekily comments.

 

 

 

“Now that is what I want to hear.”

 

--

 

Days gone by fast and Tiffany was on the urge of calling Taeyeon if not just her pride that is stopping her. A day after that talk with Wendy, a bouquet was delivered on her office. Then the next day, and the day after, and then another day. It was going on for a week now. 

 

 

 

Today is the eighth day.

 

 

 

Sometimes the flowers came with her favorite coffee. A box of non – fat chocolates, breakfast or cute letters. On some days, it’s all three. The letters would contain:
 

 

‘I miss you’
 

 

‘Rise and shine beautiful’
 

 

‘Just like the stars in the sky, you shine beautifully’
 

 

‘You’re my reason to smile; I hope these makes you smile too.’

 

Wendy knocks on my door and plastered on her face is another smirk while holding a gorgeous arrangement of Ecuadorian Roses. 

 

 

 

“So far, this is the most beautiful she has given Ms Hwang.” 

 

 

 

She looks at the folded paper on the middle and read it: 
 

 

‘Pretty? Not as pretty as you though. I miss you. KTY’

 

She smiles and Wendy notices it.

 

 

 

“Oh my God, you’re blushing! Must be another one of those letters!”

 

 

 

“Not so loud Wendy! I get enough looks from this floor every time I walk out this office because of that Kim Taeyeon sending flowers or small gifts every day.” Tiffany says while massaging her temples.

 

 

 

“They’re just curious who is the reason behind those smiles Ms Hwang and I heard from the Budget Department that you have not yelled at them two days straight and it’s already a record.”

 

 

 

“Wendy, I don’t get angry at the Budget Department every day.”

 

 

 

“They say otherwise Ms Hwang but they’re all glad that you’re a lot happier these days. If they knew who it was coming from then everyone on this building would be having a field day.”

 

 

 

“What do you mean?”

 

 

 

“Everyone is kind of attached to Chairman Kim, citing how strong her personality is even after what happened to her family and they’re kind of proud to have been able work with her during her internship here at Hwang Group.”

 

 

 

Tiffany just sighs. All these gifts and Taeyeon hasn’t called even once. No texts or even a personal visit. The girl just always made sure that Tiffany would receive something from her every day. Tiffany knows the girl meant well but she would greatly appreciate if the girl would come personally. But she guesses Taeyeon has her own ways. 

 

 

 

She wouldn’t deny that these gestures were warming up her heart and her fondness to the other girl had just gotten bigger. She misses her so much but at the same time also scared. Scared that she may not be well enough for Taeyeon. The girl had just gotten back up from her feet and Tiffany is scared to make the girl worry with her own problems if they indeed get back together.

 

 

 

She doesn’t want to be a burden.

 

--

 

It was a slow day at work so Tiffany decided to head out for coffee instead of having Wendy order one. 

 

 

 

“Hi Ms Hwang, usual table?”

 

 

 

“Sure.”

 

 

 

She proceeded on her usual corner table. It  was a great spot, offered a little privacy and a view from the everyday New York traffic. Tiffany was busy scrolling through her iPad when she caught sight of a familiar blonde talking animatedly with someone.

 

 

 

A woman.

 

 

 

And yes, she was very pretty. Tiffany thinks that she might be a model.

 

 

 

‘What are you doing here Taeyeon? And who are you with?’ she thought.

 

 

 

She watches them talk. How the girl would say something and Taeyeon would laugh and respond to it. If Taeyeon was here, that means the girl had stayed here in the US after the event. She’d given her flowers and whatnot’s for the whole damn week, Tiffany was yearning to see Taeyeon and seeing her laughing with some girl, in her favorite café and in front of her salad; Tiffany wasn’t taking any more bull from the young CEO.

 

 

 

She saw Taeyeon excuse herself while the girl proceeds on the glass display of pastries. Tiffany takes this opportunity to talk to the girl.

 

 

 

“You should try their blueberry cheesecake, it’s the bestseller.” 

 

 

 

The girl quickly turns her head and looked surprised when she saw who was talking to her.

 

 

 

“And their chocolate cake for your company.” Tiffany quickly adds. She still knows how Taeyeon loves chocolate.

 

 

 

“Oh, yeah. Thanks.”

 

 

 

“Do you know who I am?” Tiffany crosses her arms.

 

 

 

The girl straightens her back, stopping herself from browsing the cakes and smiles back at Tiffany.

 

 

 

“Yes, I do.”

 

 

 

Tiffany was little bit shocked with how the girl responded to her. ‘Why you little bi-‘ she screams in her head.

 

 

 

“Tiffany Hwang, right? Taeyeon talks about you a lot.”

 

 

 

“So? Why would she talk about me when you guys are having fun already?”

 

 

 

The girl smirks. She knows that Tiffany was a little y in real life but to experience it upfront is just overwhelming. She decides to play with the other CEO.

 

 

 

“Right. But you know Taeyeon loves to share stories and hearing her talk is just real music to anyone’s ears.”

 

 

 

“Her talking voice? You’ve got a lot more to hear babe. Taeyeon’s talking voice is just level one.” She responds making the girl blush.

 

 

 

“Well ..”

 

 

 

“I’ll see you around. Word of advice? She likes it rough.”

 

 

 

Tiffany then walks out of the café leaving the girl stunned for a minute. The girl quickly recovers and moves back to their table.

 

 

 

“What’s wrong with you? You’re so red and it looks like you’ve seen your strict grandma.” Taeyeon laughs.

 

 

 

“What the Unnie I’ve seen Tiffany and she ing talked to me.”

 

 

 

“, where?!” Taeyeon stands and looks around.

 

 

 

“She’s gone after dropping a sassy remark. Oh my God unnie! I didn’t have to know about your life and she thought we were dating or I’m some sort of girl you were sleeping with!” the girl buries her face on her hand.

 

 

 

She then narrates to Taeyeon how she and Tiffany talked and how Tiffany looked really pissed when she saw them. She doesn’t forget to tell how Tiffany walked out like a boss when she was leaving and her rooted in her place.

 

 

 

“Jesus, I’m so sorry about that. How about I treat you onto something nice next time?” Taeyeon laughs out loud.

 

 

 

“You better Unnie and I’m not just talking about food.”

 

 

 

“I got to prepare my savings then. Looks like I need to treat you big time.”

 

 

 

“You know me. But are you not going to follow her?”

 

 

 

“Nope, I’ll be visiting her tomorrow. She might just throw me her Louboutin heels if I show my face to her right now.”

 

 

 

“Goodluck with that unnie and I’m seriously going to tell everyone what Tiffany unnie said about you being rough.”

 

 

 

“Yah, don’t give me those dirty looks! Wha- don’t send it. What the , Yuri’s going to bully me agai- Yoona stop that!”

 

 

 

AN: this was supposed to be  uploaded last night but my phone died :( hope everyone's doing good!