Chapter 1: First Meeting

Double Trouble

For once, everything in Kyungsoo’s life seemed to be in order in the moment at least as much as it could get for a college student, and perhaps that was the problem. 

This feeling was unusual as he for once didn’t leave his apartment with some type of powder or cooking stain on his clothing. He’d left his dorm in decent order, actually able to put together a viable outfit and look halfway decent for the first time since he had started college. 

But at the moment there was only one thing on his mind. 

Coffee.

That, and the building headache at his temples since his sleep schedule had been further screwed. 

Kyungsoo let out a frustrated breath as he waited in line at Starbucks to try to get some coffee and feel like a living being once again. It was entirely his fault, of course, he stayed up fixing the things in his dorm for so long, that he couldn’t handle the change in his sleep schedule. He previously lived in a tiny studio, but it wasn’t really working out, space was not that great, his neighbors were stressful and his landlord… a headache. 

When he received an email informing him that there was a spot available on campus, he felt like he could finally breathe. Kyungsoo had his eye in culinary school, he had been working hard to nail it so far, and awful neighbors were not going to be the reason he failed.

He could barely focus as he moved ahead one spot, waiting for the lady behind the counter to speed up the pace, he needed coffee like he needed air to breathe and the fact that he was not getting it was starting to make the slight headache behind his temples worse. He rubbed the spot trying to get some relief, feeling better when the line moved ahead one spot again. The person in front of him was an old lady, she pushed her glasses up her nose, her eyes narrowing as she looked up at the menu board, maybe deciding what she wanted.

She had ten whole minutes to decide what she wanted and she is just now looking at the menu.

Kyungsoo sighed, he was usually nice to elderly people, but the lack of coffee was ruining the little patience he still had. He waited as the lady requested for her coffee and paid for it. Once she moved to the side it was finally his turn, he had his order figured out since he walked into the establishment. He had different orders depending on his mood, what he needed right now was some iced coffee. He opened his mouth to tell the girl what he wanted.

“I want a double chocolate chip Frappuccino, thanks.” 

Kyungsoo blinked, knowing two things.

One: That was most definitely not his order and two: He was sure his mouth didn’t even open to let out a sound. He turned his head to find a guy standing next to him, smiling at the girl behind the counter with his head leaned to the side. 

Kyungsoo couldn’t help but to scan the guy, he was wearing a purple sweater, black leather pants, shoes that looked more expensive than a whole year in college and a Gucci bag hanging off his arm. His hair was a tone between caramel and gray, carefully brushed back and his face. 

His face was a masterpiece.

Despite all this, Kyungsoo was never the type to fall for looks. The guy was bobbing his head to whatever music he was listening to from his earphones. Kyungsoo pulled the right one out of the guy’s ear gaining his attention.

“Hello,” The guy smiled at him just like he had smiled at the Starbucks employee. Kyungsoo raised a single brow.

What do you think you’re doing?” His voice was raspier than usual. The slight headache now spreading.

“Excuse me?” The guy’s smile seemed to fade a little.

“I was in line; it was my turn and you think you can just come over and order like nothing happened.” Kyungsoo crossed his arms over his chest. “That’s not how things work pal.”

“So, there was a line?” A slow smirk formed on the guy’s lips, looking over Kyungsoo’s head to the rest of the people waiting behind him “Sorry, I don’t like waiting.” 

Kyungsoo felt something inside him break.

“Then open your own damn coffee shop, here you have to wait.” He was trying so hard not to yell at this guy. It would just make his headache worse. 

The guy leaned his head to the side, studying Kyungsoo’s features, one side of his lips twitching up in amusement. He usually got coffee at home, however that day he was running late for class and he felt like getting something from the nearby coffee shop. 

He didn’t know it would be this fun.

“Are you a regular here?”

His brain filters out the annoyance for just a moment to allow him to process the question in full capacity. “What?”

“Do you get coffee here every day?” The guy spoke softly, his eyes never leaving Kyungsoo’s.

“Why do you want to know?” Kyungsoo, on the other hand, was running out of patience and he was losing his manners very quickly.

“If you’re going to look this adorable, I might come by more often.” 

This was something Kyungsoo did not expect. He felt the heat rushing to his cheeks along with his anger, his brain processing a hundred things to say but his mouth not being able to say any of them. He ended up mumbling and stuttering in front of this jerk. 

The guy rested his chin on his hand as he watched Kyungsoo try to get a decent sentence out. “Are you being this cute on purpose?”

“Shut up” Kyungsoo’s entire face felt hot, he didn’t know if it was due to the anger or embarrassment. He turned back to the counter, ready to order when he saw the girl approach with the stranger’s drink in her hands. She handed it over to the guy and he paid for it.

“Let’s see each other again.” The guy winked at him before heading for the door.

Kyungsoo was left speechless. 

He takes a moment to collect himself before putting in his order with the flustered cashier, and then getting out in time to make it to his morning class. His blood is still boiling even after he enters his classroom, taking his usual unassigned seat. 

He takes a strong draw of his coffee, feeling the pounding of his head subside a little once the drink enters his system. His eyes dance around the room, and that’s when he spotted a familiar face sitting in the crowd. He could feel his body tensing and his pulse speeding as he watched the guy just innocently talk to the person next to him, smiling even, like nothing had happened. Before he even realizes himself, he’d left his seat and was now standing in front of the man. 

The man who had cut him in the Starbucks line. 

“You,” Kyungsoo doesn’t even realize when he had started to spout off at the mouth about human decency, and how you’re supposed to behave in a public setting. Words just flowing out of his system as the other guy just stares back with eyes wide open. By the time his tirade is over, he does feel a little better, and soon that anger is filled in with embarrassment as soon as he realizes that he went off in front of the entirety of his class. 

Across from him, the chocolate chip Frappuccino drinking fiend blinked owlishly, he clears his throat. “I’m sorry, but do I know you?”

Kyungsoo looked at the other a gape, a scoff escaping his lips. “Do you—” he steps back from the table, giving the guy a harsh look. It wasn’t worth it. “You know what, I’m done here.”  

The tips of his ears burned as he walked back to his seat. 

Maybe he shouldn’t have done that in front of his entire class, but despite that he felt a lot better. 

Soon the commotion is forgotten, and everyone returns to their own little bubbles that they had been in previously now that the excitement had soon passed. 

"Morning, Soo." A familiar voice filtered into his ears. 

This causes a small smile to light up the panes of his face despite how his morning, and the way he felt, had affected him. "Hey, Dae." 

"What's wrong? I know that look." The brown-haired aspiring architect takes his usual seat beside him. 

Usually the pair wouldn't share classes, but the magic of General classes were always there to bring the two together during class hours as well. 

"Nothing much, I've just had a rough morning is all." He responded, taking another sip of the coffee that had caused him most of the grief that he had gone through this morning. 

The other nods in understanding, knowing how the mornings could go sometimes. From your own mishaps to people being absolutely the rudest people on earth, just because they could or they themselves were having a rough morning. 

Their professor enters the classroom and class continues the course as normal, and he feels himself entering into his normal routine, and just as this is happening the teacher announces that they have a partner project coming up. 

And there goes the slight sense of happiness he had built for the morning; all he could pray is that he got someone that would want to be as diligent in their work as he was. 

"That time already?" Jongdae stretches. 

The pair listen to the professor call out the pairs, Jongdae doesn't seem all that displeased to hear who he's paired up with. Apparently, they had worked together in another class, so he didn't worry too much about how they were going to function together overall.  

"Do Kyungsoo and Kim Jongin." The professor announces. 

Kyungsoo perks up at the mention of his name, and immediately his eyes search the class for the owner of the name. He immediately blanches when his eyes make contact with the guy he had literally chewed out at the beginning of the class period. 

He let out a small groan, sliding back down into his seat, now he really did have to face the consequences of chewing the guy, now he knew was named Jongin, out in front of all of their peers and there was no way to work around that fact. 

Beside him he hears Jongdae chuckling. 

“What’s so funny?” 

“I’m just not envious of you.” 

“Why? Is he an ?” 

He was kind of hoping for his friend to confirm his suspicions, so he didn’t feel as bad going off at the other man. 

“No, not that I’m aware of. But he’s quite popular and has a fan club of sorts.” 

His mind sort of flashes back to the face he’d seen in the shop, he remembers it being good looking without remembering specific features. 

Of course he does. 

Fantastic.