Chapter 2

Nocturne

 

“SON CHAEYOUNGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

Jeongyeon’s scream was enough to wake the living dead, or in their case a house full of vampires. A tired looking Jihyo rubs her eyes sleepily as she steps out of her bedroom to deal with Jeongyeon’s fury.

“What is this about Jeong?”

“What is this about?!” Jeongyeon stomps angrily towards her leader “It’s about you… “Poking the short leader right at her chest. “not being able to take control of that kid!!!”

“Pfffttt… You’re saying it as if you’re matured.”

“I may be childish in appearance but my heart is as pure as a freshly drop snow. But that Son Chaeyoung! Her size is short as her whole soul!!!!”

All Jihyo could do is roll her eyes on Jeongyeon’s ridiculous statements. “Why? What did Chaeyoung do now?” Jihyo says lifelessly, like a mother trying to stop her two kids from killing each other.

“She stole my food…” Jeongyeon whines “I was saving that for a special occasion but when I check up to look at it, it’s gone… and it was a type AB blood too…” Jeongyeon cries out.

Jihyo mutters a sigh “Fine… I’ll talk to her.”

*

Jihyo crawls back into bed…

“So, what was all that screaming about?”

Jihyo raises her head and sees Sana standing by her bed.

“What else? Chaeyoung and her antics.” Jihyo plops her head back.

“Maybe you need to finally talk to her.”

“Sana-yah… What for? We all know that Chaeyoung is just like that, she’s our little pistol. Carefree and just doesn’t give a about anyone.”

“Well… maybe that’s what she needs, something or someone to care about…” Jihyo felt the bed dipped as Sana sits by her “I was thinking that maybe we could give her some responsibility and maybe it would help her grow up a bit.”

“Responsibility?” Jihyo was unsure where Sana is going with this “Like make her clean the house or something?”

“Of course not. Something that will make her feel like we trust her.”

Jihyo was getting more confused by the minute. “Where are you going with this?”

“The Myouis…”

“What?!” Jihyo quickly shot up from her bed “Are you crazy?! Oh hell no!”

Jihyo’s voice was filled with authority but Sana wasn’t the type to back off either.

“And why not? All she just needs to do is keep watch, make sure Junho and his boys aren’t going to touch them.”

Jihyo scoffs until now she wasn’t buying into Sana’s idea. “That is if Chaeyoung would keep watch, that girl can’t keep still for a second! There is no way she’s going to stay in one place for a whole night and if she would, she would just probably go to sleep! I already have Nayeon and Dahyun to do it. Chaeyoung would-”

Sana cuts Jihyo off. “Then let Nayeon and Nayeon watch over Chaeng for a night, see how the girl does.”

“They wouldn’t like it.”

“Being a leader means making the hard decision for the group. right now we know how powerful and dangerous Chaeyoung is. What we need to do is guide her, mold her to be the future of the hunters. It would be such a waste if we won’t be able to do anything.”

“Fine.”

Jihyo might agree verbally but it doesn’t mean she was buying it.

*

Chaeyoung sips the remaining drop of Jeongyeon’s food like a juice from a tetra pack and carelessly throws the blood bag out. She tucks her hand underneath her head, enjoying the feel of the warm sun as she lays on the roof, ready to sleep after a satisfying snack.

“Chaeyoung-yah...”

Chaeyoung’s face scrunches up to the sound of her leader “I’m going to nap...”

Jihyo don’t even know why she’s doing this, dealing with this immature, lazy bum.

“I need you to do something tonight.”

Chaeyoung turns on her stomach and pretends to sleep.

“You have no choice, you’re still going to listen…”

SNORES...

Jihyo grits her teeth but she kept on. “I need you to keep watch over the Myoui’s.”

Chaeyoung opens an eye and frowns at Jihyo. “You want me to babysit humans now?”

“Look Chaeng, you know this is what we do. We protect humans because we could. The Myous are good people, but the Bhuwakul isn’t… They want to take control of the Myoui’s political territory but the Myous won’t let them. The Bhuwakul already hired Junho’s clan to protect them. Jeongner or later, they’ll just pay Junho to massacre the Myous and we need to stop that before it could happen.”

“And we care about the Myouis because?”

“Because they’re good people and there isn’t much of those left in the world.” Jihyo sits beside Chaeyoung. “But the good people aren’t necessarily the strongest and it won’t take long before people with ill intentions get rid of them or worse poison them to their sides.”

Jihyo looks over to the girl and sees that even if Chaeyoung still looks out of it. She was giving her full attention to every word that her leader is saying.

“And we… were given the strength and power to protect them when no one else would. We have to do our damn hardest to make this sick world right again…”

Chaeyoung closes her eyes “Fine. Since you asks so nicely.”

Jihyo smiles before stepping out of the roof… Chaeyoung opens her eyes when she felt that Jihyo wasn’t close anymore. The raven haired girl scowls, cause now she wasn’t sleepy at all.

“Damn.”

*

Nayeon and Dahyun pops out from the tree and growls at the sight in front of them.

“That idiot! She’s napping!”

“You!”


Chaeyoung almost rolls out of the roof when Nayeon’s foot landed on her leg. But Nayeon got on her before she could throw the short girl of the roof.

“You idiot! Did you see the Myouis just drove away!”

“Oh they did?” Chaeyoung said without a hint of concern “Well… I’m watching their house make sure nobody steals from it. You like to drive around Nayeon, why don’t you hop on the roof of their car and take a road trip?”

“You’re going on a road trip to hell when I’m done with you!!!”

Dahyun pulls the angry bunny of the lazy girl. “Hey! Hey! Cut that out!"

But their petty argument came to a stop when they felt some movement inside the Myoui’s home. The three girls skated slowly to the edge of the roof, trying to get a closer view of the Myoui’s mansion.

“Who lives in their house?”

“A couple of servants and a daughter.”

The three girls looks closely, prepared to lunge when they see a girl opening the balcony door. And the girl was simply stunning, with a book in hand, the girl sighs dreamily before sitting down on the balcony rocking chair.

Dahyun and Nayeon were surprised when it suddenly grew too quiet. They immediately sees the immediate change on their choding sister’s whole demeanor.

“C’mon Nayeon, let’s go trail the Myouis… I think Chaeyoung can watch the house by herself.”

Chaeyoung didn’t even realized the two left and she was left there just staring. Because in that very moment, as if the entire world kept on turning while Chaeyoung was stuck in time the moment she laid eyes on Myoui Mina.

*

Jeongyeon takes a biteful of breakfast and raised her brow when she sees the empty spot on the table more and more frequently.

“I haven’t seen Son for like a week. Did a werewolf finally ate her or something?”

“She’s guarding the Myouis…”

And everyone in the dinner table, even the lethargic Momo woke up to Nayeon’s sentence.

“She? Son Chaeyoung? Doing something?”

Dahyun scoffs… “More of guarding the Myouis daughter.”

“Yeah, I think she got a crush on that cute girl Mina.”

Jihyo groans, Chaeyoung should be guarding the whole Myoui family not her crush.

*

Chaeyoung sighs dreamily as she plops on her bed, she checks her watch impatiently.

2 hours and 37 minutes before she could see Mina again.

After watching the girl for a week, she knew what Mina does every second of her life. From the moment she wakes up, to the breakfast she eats, to her different class schedules, school meetings and of course a trip to the library before heading home.

The girl as cute as she is was a nerd- a cute one at that- a very cute one. The girl reads books, one whole novel in just three days that would probably take Chaeyoung all her vampire years to read.

Chaeyoung loves seeing the way Mina’s eyes glow as her fingers would skim on the library books in the shelves. The cute pout when the girl would battle which book she would take until finally deciding to take both, and of course what Chaeyoung loves the most is watching Mina read, at every word, You could clearly see it in her expressions, the books could make Mina cry, laugh and smile.

And unconsciously, Mina have made Chaeyoung wished of a different life, a life with Mina in it.

*

“Sana-yah?”

“Yes Chaeng?”

Sana was almost taken aback at the sight. The smug Chaeyoung looks like a cute puppy and in her hand, something Sana would never even dare dream of seeing. Chaeyoung was clutching a book.

“Is this a good book?”

Chaeyoung holds a murder mystery novel. But before Sana could answer her, she was interrupted by a scoff.

“Chaeyoung-yah, don’t pressure your brain that much” Jeongyeon chimes in “Why don’t you start learning your alphabet first before you started reading big people’s book?”

“I’m going to kill you!!!!”

*

Chaeyoung takes a deep breath. She knows the Myoui’s would probably be out again to some ball or something boring like that and Mina would probably stay home. The cute nerd that she is and just read her book.

This was it, with her book in her hand, Chaeyoung felt it was time to finally talk to the girl. Chaeyoung almost panic when she sees the look of fear in Mina’s eyes and mentally curse herself. Of course the girl would be scared, there was a complete stranger in her balcony, why didn’t she thought of meeting Mina in school like those vampires in twilight did?

“Don’t go… here.”

Chaeyoung held out the novel then sits on the rocking chair where Mina always sits.

“Come read this to me.”

Mina didn’t even utter a single word and just stares at the book. OMO! Does my choice of book seem boring for her? Mina clears and leans on the railing as far away from Chaeyoung.

“No… come here.”

Chaeyoung pats the spot next to her and smiles. Mina was still hesitant but Chaeyoung quickly pulls her to sit beside her.

“I’m Son Chaeyoung.”

 

“Myoui Mina.”

“So, tell me, Myoui Mina… why do you like books so much?

Great. If I’m a creep a few minutes ago, this would completely put me in a stalker watch.

“How would you know that?”

Chaeyoung pouts thoughtfully before grinning goofily. “I have magic powers.”

And Mina didn’t know what to make out of the girl but instantly smiles before adding. “Or you’re a stalker?”

“A stalker with magic powers.” Chaeyoung grins toothily and at the sound of Mina’s laugh, Chaeyoung felt heart falter. “So, tell me, Mina… why do you like books?”

“Ummm… it takes me to this world… I tend to imagine a lot and Books are my way to take me there.”

“This is a good book.” Says the NY times bestsellers…

Chaeyoung stares at those lovely, long fingers skimming through the pages before looking up and smiling at Mina. Mina smiles sweetly before she clears and starts reading.

Chaeyoung felt Mina staring at her. And as she stare at the doe eyed beauty, there was nothing Chaeyoung would have wanted to do, but to take those red lips on hers. She stops before she could do something so abrupt.

“Keep reading.” She commands.

Mina smiled and continues… Until she unconsciously let out a yawn.

“Can I come visit you tomorrow night?” Chaeyoung asks wishing her voice didn’t sound so eager.

Mina nods “I’m looking forward to it.”

*

“And in their last breath, they softly whisper their I love yous… The end.”

Mina sighs heavily after reading the last part, hoping her love story won’t turn as tragic as the books she reads. She turned into the last page and sees a small, white flower placed in there. She gingerly rubs it in her finger, then turns sneakily at the girl sitting beside her. And the choding that Chaeyoung is, yelp cutely in surprise before pretending to sleep.

“Did you fall asleep on me?” Mina tickles Chaeyoung, earning another yelp…

“What? Why are you bothering me?” Chaeyoung groans while nuzzling on Mina’s neck. Mina tries to still her nerves everytime Chaeyoung does that. Not only cause Chaeyoung seem so cold everytime but something but the raven haired girl just makes Mina’s heart to jump of her chest. And she's starting to wonder, if Chaeyoung feel that way about her too…

Mina didn’t know what have gotten into her but she knows that she doesn’t want to wait anymore. She needs to find out what it was. Mina Chaeyoung’s hand with her finger and Chaeyoung couldn’t help but look back at her. Seeing that Chaeyoung didn’t pull away or look disgusted, Mina slowly intertwines her fingers with Chaeyoung, until their hands were lock on each other.

Chaeyoung pulls Mina’s hand towards her lips and presses a soft kiss on it.

And with that gesture, one small gesture Mina knew that those stories on the books can happen after all.

“Don’t you know how to read?”

Chaeyoung raises both their hands, refusing to let go even if she just scratches her head. “I don’t like it if it doesn’t have pictures”

“Keke… you want me to draw it?”

“I saw your paintings, I thought a 5 year old did it.”

Mina rolls her eyes. “So cocky, as if you could do any better.”

“You dare mock the amazing artistic talents of Son Chaeyoung?”

“Oh no! please… don’t hurt me.”

After a few more banters and laughter filling the air, Chaeyoung felt like it was the right time to tell Mina everything. Chaeyoung doesn’t want to be just Mina’s friend anymore, she wants to be more than that… She wants to be the one that Mina would run to when something is bothering her, the one who would wrap around Mina in her arms whenever she cries, the one to make her laugh and above all she wants to be the one that Mina would love back.

“I just like to hear your voice…”

Chaeyoung closed her eyes unsure of how Mina’s expression was going to be. She slowly opens them and she sees the look on Mina’s eyes, the same kind of look she has whenever she thinks of Mina.

“You don’t know the world where I belong to. It’s messed up and damaged but when I hear your voice or even just think of you. You made me feel like I’ll be alright. You take me to your world and there is nothing else I want to do but stay there. But it’s not just your voice, Mina… it’s you, I know how close we are physically but I always feel like it’s never enough… and when were apart, I start missing you. I can never have enough of you, I need to have you…”

Chaeyoung has dealt with the greatest of all evil and some maniacal creatures. But none of those scared her, the way Mina did when she pulled away. Was she imagining the look? Doesn’t Mina feel the same way about her too?

“Then… I’m yours...”

And just when Chaeyoung felt her whole world was nothing more but a death sentence, here was Mina coming into her life and making her look forward to something again. And Chaeyoung stares at Mina’s lips, it was calling her, asking her to take them until she does. She softly presses her lips not wanting to scare Mina away, but what she received was a kiss that have melted away all her problems, all her worries. A kiss that made Chaeyoung believe that good things still exist…

*

Chaeyoung sits on Mina's bed watching Mina in front of her. The poor girl was nervous, her hands trembling as she s her blouse in front of Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung hold unto Mina's hand and smiles at the girl. She let her hand run into the thin fabric of Mina's shirt before ing Mina's blouse, pushing it out of the way. She pulled Mina to lay with her and what was a nervous kiss turned into passion as Mina wrap her arms around Chaeyoung, deepening their kiss.

And Chaeyoung love Mina more when she felt the girl tremble with her touch.

And she loves Mina more as she heard Mina moan her name in between kisses

And as they made love, Chaeyoung could never love more as much as she loves Mina.

*

Jihyo and Sana looks worriedly at each other.

“But Mr. Myoui… Are you sure about this?”

“Yes, Ms. Park. I discuss this with my wife and I think this decision is going to be best not only for my people but also for my daughter.”

“But a merger with the Bhuwakul? I don’t think it would be idealistic.”

Mrs. Myoui quickly cut off Jihyo before the girl could convince her husband to not make the deal. “We have met Bambam, he’s a very, very charming man, well educated and owns his business. He will make the ideal husband for Mina.”

Jihyo worried more for Chaeyoung, she never thought Chaeyoung was capable of caring for someone but Mina quickly change that. Chaeyoung not only cared about Mina, she’s madly in love with her too. Seeing that Jihyo was at the lost of words, Sana decided to speak up.

“What did your daughter say about this?”

“She agreed.”

And both girls look surprise “She did?”

“Yes. Why?”

*

The girl was crying… crying to the point where her blood comes out but every tear does nothing but satisfy Junho’s sadism.

He could let the poor girl cry a little bit more but he was getting hungry. Just when he’s about to sink his teeth on her, the unexpected strong force that lunges at him ended with him almost colliding on the wall.

He snickers when he sees her, gorgeous and powerful, Son Chaeyoung could overtake the vampire world if Jihyo and her stupid ideals didn’t get to her first.

“Bravo Chaeyoung… Didn’t thought you still have time to fight the bad guys now that you’re busy ing that Myoui girl…”

Junho quickly felt her nails digging into his neck.

“I don’t like the sound of my girlfriend’s name coming out of your mouth. So, you better not say her name anymore or I’ll rip your head off.” Chaeyoung snarls.

Junho was more amused… “Oh- hoh… but Chaeng, that girl, she’s human and you’re… this… Do you think you two will end up together?”

“I’ll do anything that I can…”

“Well, buddy, let me tell you this…” Junho leans closer to whisper “I don’t think she would be needing you to watch over her anymore.”

“W-what do you mean?”

“What I mean is… Now that’s she’s going to marry a Bhuwakul, We are taking over protecting both the Myouis and Bhuwakul”

And Junho smiles at the sight of Chaeyoung crumbling in front of him. This would have been a perfect time to slit but decided that seeing Chaeyoung tortured and heartbroken was much more pleasurable than death.

*

Everyone who witness the wedding would agree that there is no one more breathtaking than the bride walking in the aisle towards the equally breathtaking groom.

But no one knows, no one will ever know that there was never a heart more tortured than Mina’s.

Chaeyoung left without even giving her a chance to explain. She wants Chaeyoung to know how her family was left with no choice and marrying Bambam was the only way to spare her family.

And as she take her steps, each one heavier than the other, it felt more like her funeral than her wedding. And with the life that she’s about to have, she might as well be dead…

And softly, so softly she whispers, hoping somewhere out there Chaeyoung would hear.

“I love you, Chaeyoung...”

*

“Chaeyoung-yah… guess who volunteered for red cross today?”

Jeongyeon says happily as she was carrying bags of blood. The long legged vampire scratches her head seeing that the girl’s room was empty again.

“Gosh… She’s hit worse than I thought.”

*

Chaeyoung sits up when she sees Mina stepping out of the balcony with a book in tow. Mina have been married for 5 months and Chaeyoung haven’t talk to her longer than that. But here was Chaeyoung, every night watching over Mina.

Mina was usually alone at night while Bambam is out and about philandering. But when Bambam would go home at night, that’s when Chaeyoung was tortured the most. Because that’s when Mina, the woman she loves would become one with Bambam.

“Hey...”

Chaeyoung looks and sees Jeongyeon sipping from a blood bag…

“You want some?”

“I’m not hungry…”

Chaeyoung turns back to Mina, she could see Mina’s lips moving as she reads. And a few pages later, her tears starts falling endlessly. That second, Chaeyoung wished nothing but wipe her tears away.

“Why don’t you talk to her?”

“Why should I?”

“Chaeyoung… The book is not the reason why she’s crying.”

*

Mina closes her eyes, not again, she’s imagining too much again… But the felt of an icy cold hand on her shoulders made Mina turns from her bed and before she could say something, Chaeyoung have wrap her in an embrace.

Chaeyoung hushes Mina, wiping the girl’s tears away with her thumb. She slowly meld their lips together, a kiss that made their grieving heart, beating again.

Chaeyoung pulls away hesitantly and starts pressing kisses on Mina’s neck.

“I-I I’m pregnant.”

There was so much fear in Mina’s voice, so much worry and Chaeyoung pulls away so she could stare back into those doe eyes. Chaeyoung smiles reassuringly, a smile promising Mina that she will never leave her again before pulling Mina’s shirt and kissing the small bump in her stomach.

“I know it’s that bastard's but don’t worry, I’ll raise her with you. She’s going to be our baby.” Chaeyoung says softly while laying her head on my stomach.

“Our baby… I like the sound of that.”

And in each other’s arms, they felt like it was right to dream again.

*

“OW!” Chaeyoung jokingly jerks her head away from Mina’s stomach “Our baby can kick.”

Mina starts laughing “You’re bothering her too much.”

Chaeyoung kisses Mina’s tummy before pushing herself up to kiss Mina on the lips.

“Chaeyoung? What’s wrong?” Mina asks worriedly when Chaeyoung suddenly grew quiet.

“Ummm… he’s here…”

Mina wraps Chaeyoung in her arms, wishing Chaeyoung could take her away from there.

“I know Mina…” Chaeyoung kisses her reassuringly… “I’ll come back…”

“Ok” Mina kisses her back “I love you.”

Chaeyoung kisses her more “I love you too.”

They kiss for the last time as Chaeyoung reluctantly pulls away.


*

From inside the luxury vehicle, Bambam clenches his fist, there stepping out of his bedroom balcony, a woman…

“She dump me for a .”

“Oh… if it makes you feel any better Bam, Chaeyoung is just not any girl…” Junho pouts maniacally “She’s the most dangerous blood er out there.”

“Pffft. I thought you are?”

“Yes. But she’s a woman and that’s what makes her more volatile.”

“So, what do you want me to do?”

“Ruin Mina.”

*

“Bambam?” Mina sits up and sees Bambam sitting beside her in bed.

“How are you doing sweetheart?” Bambam starts to Mina’s stomach and Mina closes her eyes. She felt like her skin was burning when someone else other than Chaeyoung touches her.

Mina shrieks and winces at the feel of Bambam’s fist landing on her stomach. No, not their baby…

“You fuking b!tch, you think I’m stupid?!” Bambam pins her in bed. Mina tries to fight back but Bambam was twice her size and his hits were twice as painful.

And Mina screws her eyes, silenting asking forgiveness from Chaeyoung as Bambam tortured her.

*

“MINA!!!!”

But before Chaeyoung could land back into Mina’s balcony, she was yank away and almost tossed to the other side of the roof. Chaeyoung screams at the impact of her back smashing into the roof. But the pain can wait, the bleeding can wait… All she need to do now is save Mina.

Chaeyoung was push down in the ground on her knees, Junho’s boys she can’t tell who- already have a hold on both her arms. He was standing behind her, he pulls her hair up so she could look straight up into Mina’s bedroom. And Chaeyoung never felt so helpless, as the woman she loves was right there crying being tortured by that monster.

“I’m so sorry Mina…”

*

“I wonder if your woman would still want a filthy b!tch like you…” Bambam snorted as he pulls up the zipper to his pants.

Mina buries her face on her pillow, crying until she heard Bambam stepped out of their room.

Mina shut her eyes when she felt those slender arms wrap around her.

“No Chaeng… please… I don’t deserve you…”

Chaeyoung hushed Mina’s worries with a long kiss.

“No… don’t ever say that! don’t you ever say that!”

And in Mina’s arms, Chaeyoung cried. And Chaeyoung felt like she died again as she stood powerless as a monster have ravage the only good thing in her world. What did Mina do to deserve this?

*

It was suppose to be a joyous moment, their daughter was beautiful and miraculously surviving. But how could Chaeyoung celebrate when the woman she loves was suffering to stay alive?

Chaeyoung was trembling uncontrollably, her tears pouring profusely as again she was left helpless. She was watching the girl that she loves through the hospital windows, Mina crying and just go unconscious because of the pain.

She couldn’t even go near her, as doctors and nurses were put on constant watch as Mina battle to stay alive. Yet, she refuse to leave just for a second, because she knows that any second now Mina might be taken away from her.

Chaeyoung was afraid to touch Mina, she looks so delicate now and Chaeyoung was scared that one touch could make Mina crumble away. Very softly she lays a kiss on Mina’s forehead.

“Chaeng?”

“Baby?”

And Mina with what little life she has left, could still make Chaeyoung’s world stop with just her smile.

“Make love to me please…”

And as much as Chaeyoung wanted Mina, she couldn’t, not when she could hurt Mina… “B-but I don’t want to hurt you.”

“I need you” Mina pleaded…

And Chaeyoung kissed Mina, and with their tongues they tasted their promise. Chaeyoung’s touch express nothing more but her love, her undying love for Mina.

It was cynical of Chaeyoung to do so but she never believed in prayers, but right now she was desperate and tried to pray, asking, begging and crying to whoever was listening to spare the one she loves.

*

But even the Gods were cruel to even allow a person as good as Mina to be in so much pain. Mina was knocked out now after being almost overdosed with morphine. And it’s the most peaceful that Chaeyoung have seen her, that it scared Chaeyoung… it scared her that the only place where her lover seems so at ease was at her sleep, as if it was a prophecy knocking in Chaeyoung’s present.

“I got a book.”

 

Chaeyoung whispers before taking a breath of Mina before kissing her in the cheek. The chair screeches on the tile floor as Chaeyoung pulls it closer towards Mina’s bed. Chaeyoung leafs through the pages, before clearing . She opens ready to speak, but before she could even utter a single word, her lips started trembling. She realizes she had no strength to pretend that life was ok, when both of them were dying…

The book slowly slips from Chaeyoung’s almost lifeless fingers and Chaeyoung threw her arms around Mina. Holding on to the girl as if it was enough to keep Mina with her. She whispers endless I love you’s in Mina’s ear, hoping it was enough to wake Mina up.

And Chaeyoung was left with no choice, if the Gods didn’t listen to her then maybe she should take it on her own to save the girl she loves. Chaeyoung will do whatever it takes for Mina…

Chaeyoung brushes the hair out of Mina’s neck, kissing the soft flesh, asking for forgiveness before she whispers.

“I love you.”
 

 


TBC

 

VAMPIRE CHAENG FTW :D