Screams

Screams
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chaelin was in the middle of finishing up next week's work schedule along with other work-related things when she heard a loud scream over the sound of the song that she was currently playing as background music on her laptop. At first she dismissed it when she heard nothing afterwards and went back to what she was doing until another scream sounded again a moment later. Chaelin's ears became alerted while her head popped up away from the screen again and turned towards the direction where she assumed the sound may have come from.

She listened for anything else while turning down the volume believing she may have just heard wrong as she usually had selective hearing. Chaelin jerked forward when a louder and more shrilling scream came from outside the window of the room she was in. Chaelin immediately jumped up from her swivel  chair while swiftly maneuvering with light steps towards the window and peeked outside as the scream from earlier echoes within the distance compare to the previous ones. She wondered if anyone else in the neighborhood was curious about the noise as it never really got like this of all the times she lived here.

Because Chaelin lived on the last house and the corner of the street, she only looked to her left and before her at the other houses. One by one the other houses all go dark and her eyes widened with shocked at the scene. Freaked out and confused by the sudden incident, Chaelin backed away from the window and rushed out of the room and towards the kitchen to retrieve a flashlight or some candles in preparation if needed. While running to the kitchen,  Chaelin had switched on all the lights upstairs, but before she could even reach the bottom of the stairs to do the same downstairs everything suddenly went dark.

She quickly backtracked as best as her eye-sight could possibly allow her to and into the previous room where she was doing work stuff. Thanks to the laptop's screen still being left on she was able to navigate for her mobile device upon the overcrowded desk and used the flash on it as her light source. Chaelin closed the laptop shortly afterwards as she wasn't planning on using it while leaving the room and towards her own bedroom for another source of light so she could preserve her battery life on her hand phone. 

Chaelin found the light sticks of her favorite groups from her closet and after pulling them out of their casing she remembered that they needed batteries. She went in search for the triple A batteries, found them in a drawer, and assembled three of her seven light sticks for her new source of light. Of course she would each rotate them for better battery life and light usage. Also, if anything popped out at her she could blind them with the other light setting and maybe use it as a weapon of sort if it needed to come down to that. Chaelin was just glad that the items each had a strap and she could just wear them around her wrists.

Despite feeling a bit shaken up and weirded out by the whole thing, Chaelin continued to remain level-headed in her current situation. Maybe it was all thanks to her position at work where it required her to remain calm as best as possible and use critical thinking in a lot of things while making the best decision that benefited the outcome. Still, the job led to a lot of stress and having to always be the responsible and logical one made Chaelin more dependable than she liked to be.

Anyways, she quickly pulled on some shoes just in case she had to run or step on something she didn't want to step in while listening for more screams within and off into the distance, but it was all quiet. Too quiet causing her to be surprised that no cars were running or driving off after those loud screams from earlier. She couldn't, but think where was everybody else and if she was the only one awake at the moment. She glanced at the time on her phone and saw that the time read seven minutes past two in the morning. So yeah, everybody on this street was definitely asleep at this time as she knew all of her neighbors quite well.

Chaelin's parents were away visiting her father's side of the family for the rest of the week and her little brother was spending the night at a friend's house with his other friends. It was only her here and she was beginning to regret in not getting a dog for this sort of reason. Lost in thought, Chaelin quickly snapped out of it when a loud clattering came from downstairs. It was as if someone or something had dropped something while running into something.

Chaelin wasn't one for searching out whatever this may possibly be, but she was alone and had tried reaching her brother earlier and even messaging him yet she got no response. She sent her mother a vague message about what had happened just in case someone else decided to notify her about what had happened tonight. Plus, Chaelin didn't want to alarm her mom or her dad from whatever was going on with her father's side of the family. For now, Chaelin just wanted to deal with this thing alone and without other people being involved. It was less messy and complicated that way.

Anyways, by now, Chaelin had made her way slowly down the stairs while using one of the light stick as her guide in the first setting. Just as she had reached the last of the steps she heard loud noises coming from the kitchen. Chaelin's head sn

Please log in to read the full chapter