As quiet as a train

Blue Tone

Sign language isn’t the easiest thing Haseul has learned, hell it was probably the hardest thing she’s had to learn. Jinsoul moved her hands and fingers around so fast and she could hardly keep up.  

They still had to use the white board. 

Haseul was trying really hard don’t get her wrong...it was just that she hasn’t really done any studying in a few years. She had dropped out of the music academy when she was 21, she was almost done but she couldn’t go on. 

Now she was stuck here. At least she had met Jinsoul this way. 

That’s what kept her going these days. Seeing Jinsoul almost everyday was making her forget about all her failures in life. Because now she had a new goal.

Jo Haseul’s agenda: don’t slap any children, ignore Jiwoo, make Jinsoul smile. 

She was really good at all three at this point. Although she still lacked in sign language she often made Jinsoul laugh with the things she wrote on her white board. 

Hearing that weirdly loud and off key laugh was her new life goal. Yes, it was simple. But Haseul couldn’t really think of anything else to be excited about. 

Jinsoul never talked but she did make a variety of noises. From their time together Haseul learned that Jinsoul laughs at all her jokes, no matter how bad or cheesy they are. The girl grunts when frustrated and makes small heh noises when she thinks of something clever. There’s so many it’s like Jinsoul has her own language and Haseul is trying to decipher it. 

They’re all endearing and Haseul secretly has them all recorded and stored in a secret file on her computer. At night she listens to them and replays the memory of Jinsoul until her eyes beg her to sleep. Even then she thinks of Jinsoul. Her dreams are starting to become filled with blue and blonde. 

Haseul’s never been particularly interested in someone like this. She’s been attracted to many…many girls, back in college she definitely didn’t contain her educational pursuit in exploring a woman’s body.  

But now, it was more than just an attraction. It was a familiarity, however, still entirely new.  

Sure Jinsoul was gorgeous, probably the most gorgeous girl Haseul had ever seen. There was just something about the blonde though that had her thinking of things deeper than just a happy date and a goodnight kiss. 

Haseul wanted to know how Jinsoul experienced the world. It was basic human curiosity that Haseul had lacked until now. Haseul found the world quite boring. Music was once what brought color to her life. She wonders how it is to a person who can’t even listen to it. 

Jinsoul seemed so happy all the time. And Haseul knew when someone was faking it. She was good at reading a mood, because unfortunately she’s made a lot of people upset. Jinsoul smiled a lot with her teeth, but it was her eyes that gave it away.  

The only time she’s seen the girl sad was when her fish died a mere month ago. Now there was a new fish that Jinsoul stared at sometimes but the blonde mostly came for the 5’1 specimen with the bob cut.  

Dark eyes would sparkle and Haseul would find herself stuck in the headlights. The blush sneaking up her neck to remind her that Jinsoul could still see everything, that she was probably more perceptive than anyone she’s ever met. 

Their conversations varied. To things more serious like their background stories, learning about the history that brought them to this exact location. Other times, like today, they were discussing nonsensical things such as seafood.  

Jinsoul flipped her hands around and Haseul tried to pay close attention. The rings on Jinsoul’s fingers clicking together that was a bit annoying not like she could notice anyways. When Haseul can’t understand it the blond giggles and goes to the white board. I really like calamari, I won’t eat any kind of meat unless it’s fried.   

Haseul smiles and shakes her head vigorously. Her expressions were always way more aggressive around Jinsoul. Bringing her own hands up she tries to counter, I like Seafood boil.  

Around them people chatted and Haseul tried her best to drown the noise out. She wanted to focus on Jinsoul’s sounds. Though when she finishes she sees an expression on Jinsoul’s face that she’s never seen. 

Embarrassment?  

Haseul doesn’t know what she’s just said with her hands but Jinsoul blushes and coughs. Asking Jinsoul what she said the blonde waves her off, it’s nothing. 

Haseul unfortunately doesn’t find out and they argue with hands and head movements until Jinsoul is laughing so hard she’s crying. Jinsoul just will not tell her and it frustrates Haseul. 

Jinsoul loved to tease and although it drove Haseul mad, it also made her insides fluffy.  

Shaking Jinsoul’s heavy shoe in her hand she freezes when she hears the girl’s belly growl and snap at her. Haseul looks down and Jinsoul is sheepishly rubbing her tummy. She didn’t hear it but Haseul knows she definitely felt it. 

She does know how to sign this, because she asked it almost everyday now. Someone hungry? The girl looks away shyly when Haseul asks with her hands. Eventually Haseul gets an answer in the form of a small nod. 

Haseul doesn’t understand why Jinsoul still gets shy around her. It’s not like she’s told the girl some horribly detailed things about herself, like the one time she… 

Yeah, anyways. Walking into the staff lounge Haseul feels her blood freeze when she sees Kim Jiwoo sitting there with her perfectly made lunch. 

In the horrible dull staff lounge sits possibly the brightest person to exist, also the reminder of all of Haseul’s failures.  

Jiwoo wasn’t supposed to be here, her lunch was later. But of course, the girl is sitting there humming a tune while popping a grape in . She’s just so cute isn’t she.  

Haseul didn’t favor Jiwoo for a number of reasons. The primary one was because Jiwoo was everything she wasn’t. The girl had a beautiful voice and was moving across the globe in a few months because she struck a deal with a record label. 

She sang to the fish and they swam happily. Haseul sang and they would float motionless. 

Jiwoo pops another grape in before noticing them. “Oh! Hello Seulie!” Haseul has told her five times to not use that name. Jiwoo squints at the other girl, “and mysterious blonde lady!” Haseul glares at the small girl rocking back and forth in the seat like some maniac. 

Haseul drags Jinsoul to the table, the blonde was pretty clumsy. The disease that had taken her hearing had also made her unbalanced. Jinsoul didn’t mind talking about it. She was actually pretty calm when she had carefully informed Haseul of her misfortune.  

That was another thing interesting about Jinsoul. Was how she didn’t seem to care that she was less adapted than others. Haseul would soon learn that the girl was actually more adapted than most of the world's population. 

Jiwoo instantly stands up as they sit down. The girl skips over and holds her hand out, “hi my name is Kim Jiwoo! You’re literally so gorgeous! When I first-“ 

“Jiwoo she’s-“ 

“Haseul don’t be rude! Anyways when I first saw you like wow! I th- 

“She’s-“ 

Haseul can literally hear the crack in Jiwoo’s neck when the girl snaps her head over to her. Jiwoo’s usual beaming smile replaced by an ominous stare. Haseul shuts up and Jiwoo smiles back at Jinsoul.  

“When I saw you I thought one of mermaids had escaped you’re just so beautiful!” Jiwoo flirts and Haseul digresses and lowkey dies inside. But she has a leg over Jiwoo this time around. The red-head may be the employee of the month every month but Haseul knew sign language. 

She smiles when Jinsoul is silent but shakes Jiwoo hand anyways. Jiwoo is confused at least as Jinsoul let’s her hand be assaulted. “Um What’s your name?” Jinsoul only nods what she usually done with people who didn’t quite get that she couldn’t hear them. 

A vein pops up on Jiwoo’s forehead, “aha yeah…” 

“She’s deaf Jiwoo.” Haseul says sadly.  

The red head forms an O with and retracts her hand. Then Haseul truly dies inside. Of course Jiwoo knew sign language. Understandable sign language. Jinsoul is surprised and quickly the two fall into a wordless conversation. One that Haseul is shunned from. 

She watches with heart-broken eyes as Jinsoul and Jiwoo speak. Both of them relating to something as Jinsoul pouts and Jiwoo puts her hand over her heart and sighs. Haseul becomes sick watching the two.  

Then Haseul’s lunch made for two is forgotten and she becomes the third wheel. Jiwoo took it upon herself to show Jinsoul the aquarium. Becoming her own guide, Haseul idly stood by wishing she had a tour group so she didn’t have to watch this.  

They were perfect together. Both bubbly and inspirational. Haseul was a dud, nothing really spectacular about her. Now Jinsoul was going to be swept away by the amazing Jiwoo.  

Haseul was drowning too much in her jealousy that she didn’t notice that Jinsoul hadn’t laughed the whole time. Jiwoo had jokes, Haseul thought they were terrible, so did Jinsoul. The red-head laughed too much to see that they weren’t landing. 

She was about to walk away once they got to the shark tunnel. Jiwoo was signing away, showing off her multiple skills and intelligence. Many girls found that y, unlike Haseul who didn’t have a lot to boast about. Her voice was once it, but Jinsoul couldn’t hear that. So she was out of luck. 

But Jinsoul thought she was the luckiest girl in the world to have met someone like Haseul. 

Jiwoo gets distracted for a split second by a family asking where the nearest restroom is. In typical Jiwoo fashion she had to explain with way too many details, eventually confusing the family.  

It allows for enough time for Jinsoul to grab Haseul’s hand and drag them out of the tunnel and into the turtle section. Haseul is in awe and the roles are reversed when she trips on her own feet.  

Jinsoul turns and laughs at her clumsiness and Haseul’s heart even starts to lose its balance. Jinsoul held her hand a lot, she guesses it was a comfort thing. But it was all but comfortable to Haseul. It was warm and soft and entirely too unhealthy to her heart.

Her nerves skyrocketed. 

Once they’re outside the cool air hits her and Jinsoul pulls out her phone. Keeping her close by pulling her hand towards her. The blonde is smiling widely looking at her phone and then the admiring gaze is focused on her. 

She’s kind of boring, don't you think? 

Kim Jiwoo boring? That was a new one, even to Haseul.

Then Jinsoul explains herself. 

She wasn’t human. I felt like I was watching t.v, people are not supposed to really be that perfect. 

Her interest in Jinsoul grows. She wonders what exactly made Jinsoul think that way. The blonde smiles at her tilting her head at her silence. 

Soon Haseul returns the smile and pulls her own phone out. 

Let’s go get calamari.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haseul is finally starting to get it. The white board or notes app isn’t used as often now. Now they could have meaningful conversations with their hands. Anywhere, anytime. 

Before they were confined to the aquarium as a meeting place. Now that they had each other’s phone numbers they met a whole bunch of places and Haseul was allowed to observe Jinsoul’s reaction to a certain environment.  

Jinsoul liked...loud places. Well to Haseul they were loud. Like the mall and the McDonald's at noon. Jinsoul loved crowds and watching people. 

Haseul had learned a lot about Jinsoul lately. It was like their relationship was a speeding train barreling down the tracks with no stiff wheels. It was becoming comfortable. Haseul found herself falling for every bit of Jinsoul.  

She can only hope the blonde feels the same as she does. 

But if Haseul were to base it off how much they hold hands and the way Jinsoul blushes and looks away shyly when she compliments her. Then she’d be confident to assume that something that was there for Jinsoul as well. 

uality was something they’ve never talked about. Most of the time with normal people it was the first thing Haseul would bring up. But Jinsoul wasn’t exactly...normal and someone who Haseul wanted to rush into. 

For reasons unknown, Haseul was leaving her old habits of getting to know the body first, then the mind and instead learning everything about Jinsoul she possibly could. 

Because she’s never quite felt like this before.  

Even when Jinsoul tells her the simplest things about herself she feels like she’s hit the jackpot. 

Jinsoul hated watching T.V, she only watched nature documentaries and america ninja warrior because they were fun to watch without commentary. Her wardrobe was monotoned because she thought colors represent voices but she didn’t know what hers sounded like. She also had six sisters and one brother. She was one of the oldest ones. 

Haseul learned these facts in a number of places, they texted, they facetimed (which was usually them staring at each other for ten minutes) or they went out. Jinsoul still went to the aquarium but not as often since she didn’t have a reason. 

She also wanted to avoid Jiwoo. 

The short-haired girl also learned other ways how Jinsoul communicated. Her way of thanks was bringing her face real close and scrunching her features up cutely. This had given Haseul many mini heart attacks. When Jinsoul didn’t agree with something she’d turn her head the other way and put a hand up in defense whenever Haseul tried turning it back. Whenever she wanted a hug the girl would put her hands behind her back and rock on her heels back and forth.  

Haseul was brushing her teeth thinking of the girl’s unusual behaviors. All she did was think of her, it was an enjoyable change of pace from the usual self-loathing and how miserable and mundane her life was. 

Jinsoul may have thought of herself as just a monotone color. But Haseul has never had so much color in her life. 

She hears her phone ring and immediately she reaches down to read the notification.  

I want to take you somewhere today.   

They were both free today thankfully, well kinda, Jinsoul worked night shifts. So tonight she was off and didn’t need the sleep to rejuvenate. They had already planned to spend the day together. Haseul only wonders what. 

What was this somewhere Jinsoul was talking about?  

As Haseul gets ready, she thinks it’s time for a new haircut. She clambers across her messy apartment and out into the cool winter air. 

She starts her journey to where Jinsoul had dropped a pin, Haseul has to tug her coat closer to combat the chill. Haseul hates the city, it was too loud and crowded. But she really couldn’t just up and leave. Especially now.  

Haseul’s feet keep going when she spots Jinsoul, but her lungs stop working. And the cold inside freezes her core.  

Sometimes she’s thankful she doesn’t have to actually speak to Jinsoul. 

Because the words don’t come to mind when she gets lost in how beautiful the girl is. 

Jinsoul is watching people walk by on the street. It’s noon so the rush hour is in effect and so is all the noise. Jinsoul has a small smile on her face, her eyes curiously dart over the unfamiliar faces until they land on one.

Haseul’s awestruck face.  

The blonde has a heavy coat on and baggy jeans. She fits right into the city’s aesthetic since she had a unique style and attractive swagger. But she never contributes to its liveliness. Haseul understood that this place was quite literally alive sometimes, especially at night when she couldn't sleep from everyone else waking up. 

Jinsoul struts right up to her and opens her arms. Haseul was so distracted she forgot and melts into the warmth of Jinsoul’s chest.  

They always hugged for a greeting. 

Haseul feels like a kid again. She compares her childhood to ignorant bliss, when you really didn’t know how cruel the world was. How unkind it could be to you. But Jinsoul made her forget about all that. Because Jinsoul was nothing but kind and warm. 

She hasn’t been this passionate about something in a long time. Jinsoul’s hugs that is. 

When the blonde pulls back the blissful ignorance doesn’t end because the warmth sticks to her. Just like Jinsoul’s smile. 

Haseul quickly catches the movement. 

Good morning pretty.   

Blushing she shoves the girl who quietly giggles.  

They’re on their way to their usual spot, a bodega that sells really...really good ham and cheese sandwiches. Haseul usually got that and a muffin while Jinsoul would get the bacon egg and cheese. 99% of the time, they would split the muffin.

Once they order they play with the cat on the counter. Haseul focuses on Jinsoul’s hand sneaking around her waist and the lips that plant themselves on her cheek. 

It’s been months since they met and Jinsoul’s affection was very common now. But Haseul still didn’t know how to react to how soft her lips are.  

Never going past a cheek kiss, Haseul doesn’t know what’s going to happen to her heart when the real thing does. 

Kissing was once easy to her, and although Jinsoul is one of the most down-to-earth people she’s ever met. She doesn’t quite know how to handle any of her. 

Jinsoul is calm, but she makes Haseul feel anything but calm.  

Haseul’s ears burn and her tummy knots up just like the pretzel on display. Jinsoul knowingly watches her reaction every time.  

After they get their food Haseul starts to head off towards their normal spot for stuffing their faces before Jinsoul tugs on her hand, leading her to the opposite direction. 

Haseul is confused until the girl lifts her hands. Let’s go to that place I was talking about.  

She eyes the taller girl curiously. 

The somewhere?  

Jinsoul smiles teeth and all giving her a nod for confirmation.  

She lets herself be lead away. After all, she’d follow Jinsoul anywhere. 

Haseul had lived here for years but Jinsoul must have been here her entire life. Because the girl is an expert at navigating the city. Knowing all the right shortcuts and knowing when and when not to jaywalk. She knows how to sway through the crowd without one shoulder bump. 

When Haseul sees where she’s being led to she’s not really sure what to think.  

It’s the metro station, the one that’s above ground and ruins about everyone’s life with how loud it is. 

Jinsoul’s hold gets tighter and Haseul’s hand is sweaty from all the nerves, so she interlaces their fingers to keep them locked in place.  

They make their way into a restricted area, the gate is broken down and the lock barely keeps it in place. Jinsoul wiggles her eyebrows as they slip in and Haseul has never found anything as attractive as that.  

She doesn’t know why, she’s been with trouble makers. Ones that’s actually been arrested. But Jinsoul biting her lip as she points out the graffiti on the station’s support beams really has her toes curling.  

Haseul doesn’t give it much thought. Or at least that’s what she tells herself. 

There’s a slab of concrete they settle on. It’s not the most comfortable spot in the world at first but then Jinsoul scoots closer to her and wraps an arm around her.

It’s so...juvenile really. Something that she would do back when she was fifteen. Cuddled up, eating greasy food with her crush while trespassing.  

Haseul didn’t know much about romance movies but she felt like she was living it one.  

Jinsoul’s a messy eater but Haseul finds it endearing. She’s able to touch Jinsoul more this way. Wiping off some of the cheese that gets on the side of the girl’s mouth, Jinsoul thanks her by bumping their heads together gently. 

She doesn’t realize it now, but they really don’t talk much. It’s all about to look and touch and that’s more than enough. Because really, even when she had the words, it was still not as deep as this connection.  

They didn’t really need the words anyways. 

Haseul realizes that at the same time she’s falling in love. There’s another feeling happening. 

It’s not as bold as the fluttering in her chest but it’s all the more noticeable. She comes to the realization that no matter what happens.  

She’ll never be able to forget about Jinsoul.  

Watching the girl closely as she finishes her food, Haseul smiles. This was really it wasn’t it. The moment of truth, her heart on trial. 

You really like this girl don’t you?

Haseul nods without knowing it and Jinsoul catches her. Asking what she was nodding at. Haseul shakes her head and signs, it’s nothing.  

Jinsoul glares at her, getting her own medicine.  

Haseul looks at the figurative jury that awaits her answer. 

I do...and I don’t want to let her go anytime soon. 

The jury gasps and Haseul smiles at her confirmed feelings. So she doesn’t let go, her and Jinsoul talk with expressions and flicking wrists. Until Jinsoul checks her watch and smiles.

Haseul is curious as to what the smile means. It’s Jinsoul’s excited one and the blonde pulls out something from her pockets. 

It’s noise canceling earphones. 

Jinsoul gives her the set and tells her that this place, the one where they’re sitting at right in this moment. Is one of Jinsoul’s favorite places. 

Because although she can’t hear the train. She can feel it.  

Haseul puts in the earphones and surprisingly she can’t hear a thing. The noisy city from before is completely silent and Haseul has never found it this calming.  

She looks at Jinsoul who is blushing, you look really cute in those.   

Smacking the girl she can still hear her heart pound inside her chest. Looking around she observes the city.  

It goes by slower this way, like she was watching outside of a glass dome. Just like a fish in the aquarium.  

Haseul loves it.  

Then it becomes a lot clearer when she feels vibrations under her. A train is rapidly approaching but she can’t hear the obnoxious horn or screeching rails. 

She can only feel it, the gust of wind it brings, how it makes the earth tremble from its force.

When she turns to Jinsoul, everything makes sense. The blonde is leaning back onto her hands, her head tilted upwards and the wind blowing her hair. Her eyes are closed and there’s a small smile of her face, complete satisfaction.

Haseul then understands. The world is so much more relaxing without the noise. The city is charming without its constant murmur. You can feel everything and it’s so nice. It’s a comfortable silence and everything becomes less intense without its scream.  

It tells her so much about Jinsoul.  

Now, she knows why Jinsoul likes to think of colors to noise. And why she thinks perfection is boring. Because she couldn’t hear the flaws of life. She could only see them, so it made a lot of difference when something showed character instead of telling it. Like Jiwoo, who had a perfect smile and a no-mistake attitude. 

Jinsoul couldn’t find the flaw, so she deemed her boring. 

That meant she saw flaws in Haseul. But Jinsoul wasn’t the type of person to see flaws as negative. They were the only things to make someone more interesting.  

Haseul must have been a character to her then, if she’s stuck around this long.  

After the train has passed many moments ago. Haseul waits for Jinsoul to look at her. When the blonde finally does she quickly signs, thank you for showing me your world.  

Her world was blissful ignorance. How everything was relaxed without the stress of noise pollution. How you couldn’t tell that everything and everyone was in a rush because it was silent. How you couldn’t remember if the world was still going or not or if it was taking a short break from it’s constant schedule. 

Jinsoul eyes sparkle as she comprehends the worlds and then they dart up to her own. Haseul holds her breath, creating a silence until her heart starts to beat so loud it’s the only sound that exists. 

She notices it too late, but Jinsoul has leaned forward to capture her lips. 

Soft  

It’s all Haseul can think of as she kisses back. It’s slow and comfortable. Just like the city around them. But the thumping in her chest is all but that. 

Jinsoul is a good kisser, most likely the best she’s ever had. She can’t get enough. The next thing on her list of things to be passionate about, her goals in life. 

Is kissing Jinsoul. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~