Second Encounter

A Lone Spirit
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It had been a week since little Chaewon came running into my haven. I watched day and night, waiting for the little human to come visit me again but she never did. Perched up on my tree, it was torture, constantly perking up at any sound of children, hoping that one of them would be Chaewon. 

I looked at the many branches around me, the buds were starting to open, and a small part of the petals started to show. It was going to be cherry blossom season again and more crowds of people would be coming in and out of the park to experience the romantic scene. But this year I would spend it searching for her. I desperately wanted to wander off and find her myself, but I was scared. 

Even as a spirit, I feared death. 

So, I continued to wait. 

It was nearing the afternoon, the glaring sun hurt my eyes. I lifted my arm, using the robes to shield any light. The park was nearly empty, most people had work or school to attend to, but I wasn’t complaining, it was nice to have peace and quiet once in a while. I loved humans, they were interesting and spiced up my usually boring day, but they were noisy and loved to pollute the air with all sorts of things. 

Modern age was a curse and a blessing. 

‘’Little Chaewon, where are you?’’ I whispered to myself, I hugged the big branch I was laying on, trying not to fall asleep in the off chance the girl would come running. 

Maybe it was all in my head. Spending God knows how long coped up within this park might’ve messed with my head, imagining a child who could actually see me. Was I going crazy? I hoped not. 

‘’Psstt!’’ A quiet noise snapped me from my thoughts as I glanced down and saw little Chaewon, craning her neck back to look up at me with a wide grin. ‘’Pretty lady I’m back!’’ 

A bubble of laughter came up my throat and I jumped down to pick her up in a hug, spinning her around in circles until she patted my shoulders to let her down. 

‘’Where have you been? Its been a week!’’ I sat on my knees again, not wanting to look down on someone so special to me. 

She shrugged and kicked at the ground. ‘’I was grounded, my daddy wasn’t happy I ran away and he made me stay at home… I wanted to sneak out, but he locked all the windows and doors.’’ 

I cooed at her determination and pulled her into my lap, hugging her once more. She happily complied and s her arms around my neck. I had a companion. A willing companion that would go to lengths to defy her father to come see me. I was flattered she would go that far for me. 

‘’Why do you have silver hair?’’ She asked. She ran her little fingers through my short shoulder length hair. ‘’Did you dye it?’’

‘’Dye? This is my natural hair; I’ve always had this hair.’’

‘’Really?! That’s so cool! I want coloured hair too, but daddy said only bad people dye their hair. But you didn’t dye your hair so you’re not bad.’’ She slid off my lap and sit down in front of me. Part of me wanted to cling onto her, a week without her was already painful enough but I held myself back. I didn’t want her to think I was creepy. 

‘’I’m glad you came back, Chaewon. I was starting to think you forgot about me.’’ I pouted. 

She grabbed my hand, ‘’How could I forget about a pretty lady like you? You even made my knees feel all better.’’ She lifted her shorts and the clear pale skin shone brightly under the sun. I was glad my healing abilities lasted. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter