Searching

Chasing Angels
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♫ Kim Taeyeon - I Found You


 

“There will always be a reason why you meet people. Either you need them to change your life or you’re the one that will change theirs.”

- Madeline Sheehan


 

“Unnie! Can you believe that we’re going to become full fledged angels today?!!!” Yujin exclaimed as she jumped up and down happily around the older girl.

 

“Calm down Yujin, you don’t want our teacher to scold you again for being too rambunctious.” Minju replied, trying to calm down the girl.

 

Minju and Yujin both attend Heavenly Gates School of Angels and are angels in training. To be considered as a full fledged angel, one must pass all courses and exams to earn their angel wings. Today is their last day of classes as they have passed all of their exams and is waiting to graduate and earn their certificates.

 

“I know she’s an angel and all, but an angel can only take so much. And she had to put up with you and your shenanigans for years so you could at least give her some peace before we graduate.” She added.

 

“It’s not me if I’m not loud and jumping around though, and she’ll miss me when I graduate so I’ll keep bugging her so she’ll remember me forever.” Yujin teased.

 

Minju shook her head, incredulous to the younger girl’s mischievous antics. She’s known the girl for quite some time, but her massive reservoir of energy still amazes her, however, it’s part of her charms so Minju didn’t mind it. Before the younger girl could create more chaos, the door to their classroom swung open. A young woman, tall with long dark hair came walking in with a binder in hand. 

 

“Good morning Ms. Lee.” The two girls greeted.

 

“I thought I told you girls already. Now that you’re about to graduate, you don’t have to call me that anymore.” Chaeyeon said.

 

“But we haven’t officially graduated yet, so you’re still considered as our teacher in our eyes.” Minju replied.

 

“I feel more comfortable with you guys calling me unnie anyway, so please just call me unnie from now on.” Chaeyeon said as she gestured the girls to sit, sightly giddy.

 

“Does that binder have our certificates in them?” Yujin curiously asked.

 

“No, this will be your last assignment before you can graduate.” Chaeyeon replied.

 

“What?!” The girls exclaimed simultaneously. 

 

“I thought we already passed all the exams already.” Minju said, confused and anxious with the new announcement. 

 

“You guys did pass all your exams, but this assignment will be the final factor on whether you will become an official angel or not.” Chaeyeon said.

 

“What is our last assignment then?” Yujin eagerly asked.

 

“You must change someone’s life.” Chaeyeon replied as she passed out their assignment.

 

“In order to earn your wings, you must go down to earth and help change someone’s life for the better. Once you have accomplished your task, you can return and become full fledged angels.” Chaeyeon added. 

 

“Wait, I thought we were taught to not meddle with human lives.” Yujin interjected.

 

“That is true, and for the most part, you should adhere by those rules, but sometimes people need a helping hand. And sometimes that hand is an angel’s.” Chaeyeon replied.

 

“So I can’t just help some kid get a ball back from over a fence, or a cat out of a tree?” 

 

“Who and what you choose is up to you, however, I will be the one to deem if your efforts are worthy of your wings. If I deem your actions not worthy, you will have to try again.” Chaeyeon said.

 

Yujin frowned a bit, thinking she could have done something easy and quick. Chaeyeon caught her expression and slightly sighed while she made her way towards the two girls. She knelt down between the two and grabbed their hands.

 

“Don’t just help people for the sake of completing your assignment. Help them sincerely and with compassion. Remember, these are human lives you are involving yourself with. Whatever you choose to do can greatly impact the rest of their lives, so you should not do any harm to them.” Chaeyeon said.

 

The two listened to Chaeyeon’s words carefully, understanding how much weight their actions can have from now on. Chaeyeon smiled softly as she saw how the usually playful and energetic Yujin became serious at her words.

 

“Also, one word of advice. You should not get too close to the person you are helping. It’ll make it easier to leave if you are not too attached to them.” Chaeyeon advised. 

 

“Anything else we should be weary of?” Minju questioned, worried.

 

“The most important thing you must remember is to not reveal your identity to humans. Even though you can use your powers, certain powers are limited in the human world, especially flying. Using them could cause you more harm than not, so please be cautious. Humans must not find out that you are angels, or else there will be dire consequences.” Chaeyeon warned.

 

“What are the consequences?” Minju asked as she swallowed the lump in .

 

“You will be placed on probation and won’t be able to become an angel until you are deemed fit to try again. As for the human or humans that discovered your identity, they will lose their memories of you.” Chaeyeon replied.

 

“Which could mean that their lives could revert back to before you helped them or take a turn for the worst.” She added.

 

The two girls looked at each other with worrisome eyes after hearing the details, scared of what may be in store for them.

 

“You two will do fine. I’m sure of it.” Chaeyeon reassured the girls with a bright smile.

 

“Now get on with your assignment. It’s not easy finding someone who is struggling, especially if they’re hiding it.” She added before dismissing her students.

 

•~•

 

The girls ascended down onto earth and began their search. They stuck together, walking around the neighborhood for anyone in trouble. They had run across many people who seemed to be struggling; kids falling when playing, a grandma pulling a heavy cart up a hill, a man drunk on the sidewalk, etc. However, they both thought those tasks weren’t going to be enough to earn their wings. They wanted to look in the sky as walking on ground was proving to be more of a struggle than they had thought, but feared people would see them flying as well as the limited use of their powers, so they opted to look on higher ground. After making their way up to the rooftop of the tallest building they could find, and surveying the area a while longer, Yujin came up with a different tactic.

 

“Let’s split up unnie. We won’t get anywhere if we stick together like this.” Yujin said, frustrated.

 

“We can meet up again after finding our human that we want to help, oka

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter