Chapter 51

Before Her Very Eyes

Arin gasped when she saw him. She had pushed all thoughts of Jeonghan out of her head the past week; it had given her anxiety to think about all of the unfinished business between them, the apology that she owed him for the last time she snapped and professed that she hated him.

She was relieved to see that he looked well though. He was clean and neat again, donning one of his expensive suits, wearing perfume that could be whiffed from meters away. He covered the bandage around his head with a headband.

His eyes met hers. He glared at her with a look of malice, the same one he used to give her when she failed to clean the stairs.

“Looks like we meet again, Missy,” Jeonghan mumbled, arms crossed like he was scolding her.

Arin couldn’t believe it. Of all the people that could have been her love interest, Jeonghan was the one that felt the most complicated. She didn’t know what to make of the fact she would be in love with him soon, but she dreaded the upcoming emotional turmoil.

Arin simply didn’t understand Jeonghan. On one hand he was a victim who cared about her, maybe even loved her, and saved her life multiple times, and on the other hand, he was this hateful person who tortured her physically and emotionally. She glanced down at her bandaged wrists that still hurt from the time he tied her up with skin-grating rope. His curse made him do that, she told herself.

She wondered if he was lying when he told her he loved her, or if there was some sincerity to that. She wished she could know. Right now, he just confused her.

Hoshi witnessed the encounter and looked between the two of them. “Hmmm,” he said out loud. He was now staring at the color on Arin’s bracelet, which was flashing white and purple of various shades. That never happened before.

“I thought you hated him,” Hoshi said, looking at her, confused yet intrigued.

Arin thought so too.

Hoshi handed her a toothpick with a hint of the potion on its tip, then left the extraction room. Yoonsa and Larali entered soon after. The door was closed, and the extraction began.

Things always felt different when Larali was around. Arin’s pain simply disappeared, but this time Arin was not the only one who relaxed in Larali’s presence. The malice in Jeonghan’s eyes disappeared as well, replaced with confusion as to why he wasn’t feeling the way he usually felt.

“I take your pain; that’s my curse,” Larali explained to him, sensing his bewilderment. “You have a lot of it.” She tried to smile, but even the smile was freighted with agony. The girl just put her hand on her heart, sat in a corner, closed her eyes, and dealt with it.

“Wow,” Jeonghan said with a strangely carefree tone. “I feel nothing.”

Arin put the toothpick in and faced Jeonghan. As the potion took effect, it coursed through her body, made her dizzy and lightheaded. When it was done, she looked at Jeonghan again, and he was suddenly a whole other person to her. No longer the hateful, condescending landlord. Now, he was just Jeonghan, someone she would die for.

Jeonghan had always been attractive to her, but this was the first time he had ever seemed beautiful. The first time her heart swelled at the sight of him, expanding in her chest like a balloon waiting to explode out of .

Any discomfort she felt was instantly drained by Larali’s presence. What was left was the happy part of love, the pure joy of seeing him before her very eyes.

Jeonghan stared at her as she stood before him.

“Do you... love me now?” Jeonghan asked her. Even his tone was different, soft and gentle.

She nodded.

Jeonghan flashed a smile, a genuine one. “Good. Because the thought of you hating me had been tormenting me,” he confessed.

No. Arin wished she could speak. There were so many words she wanted to say to ease that so-called torment, and so she quickly took out her phone and typed them to him.

I didn’t mean what I said the last time we met. I could never hate you for what your curse made you do. I’m sorry.

“This is so strange. I feel no pain,” Jeonghan said, glancing at Larali, “so I can say whatever I want. Usually, when I act kind or loving, my heart hurts, and it hurts more and more the kinder I am. But now, there’s no pain, so...”

Arin also glanced at Larali. The poor girl was holding her heart and wincing.

“It’s liberating,” Jeonghan said. He reached out and grabbed her hand, and gently ran his fingers over her bandaged wrist. He kissed the bandages and apologized.

Arin’s heart was beating fast at his touch. She wished the moment could last forever.

“I’m sorry if this is too much, but it’s three years of pent-up love I will pour on you while I can,” Jeonghan continued as he put her hand down. “I meant what I said in the elevator the other day. I love you, and I think about you everyday. You got me through the last four years, because I had something to look forward to in my miserable life. I looked forward to just seeing you...”

Jeonghan was cut off with the sound of Larali crying in pain, writhing on the floor, her hand on her heart.

                        If he shows compassion, let it bring him pain.

Jeonghan ignored the sounds and continued to speak. “I apologize for all the horrible things I said and did to you. I apologize for the time I nearly sold you off to the tenant on the eighth floor, and for the time I nearly assaulted you, and for the time I laughed at you and shamed you. I’m sorry for...”

Suddenly, the door opened, and Jun came barging in with fury in his eyes.

“Stop it!” he yelled. “Stop talking!”

He strode over to where Larali was crying and picked her up, holding her close.

“Just wait a bit longer, Jun,” Yoonsa stepped in. “It’s working. The magic is so strong… there is so much of it…”

Jun ignored her and just left, carrying Larali far, far away.

It was then that Arin understood Jun’s rage and frustration: it was Larali; he loved her, and Arin had been causing the young girl so much pain.

As the distance between Larali and the two of them increased, so did the pain in Arin and Jeonghan’s bodies and hearts. The malice returned to Jeonghan’s eyes, and the strain returned to Arin’s throat.

Jeonghan was no longer free to speak kindness and love. Actually, he was no longer free at all. As he let out a deafening bellow of pain, the look in his eyes was replaced with something else, something evil.

                       If that doesn’t work, let the devil take reign.