Chapter 11

Our Gentle Sin

The aroma of freshly steamed rice cakes was so mouthwatering that Kyungsoo wanted to pat his own back for the efforts he put in making them. He cautiously pulled each rice cake out of the pot and put them inside the spicy gravy that he had prepared. The dish looked even more delicious than Kyungsoo had expected. He was so excited for Jongin to try it.

Kyungsoo had always been thoughtful about Jongin, but lately Jongin had taken over his whole existence. He was so head over heels for the boy, who now was his lover, that he would get reminded of Jongin everytime he even inhaled. Kyungsoo would miss Jongin especially during these two hours, when the younger would be at the clinic for his therapy sessions. Even though Jongin barely spoke even at the house, his presence was powerful enough for Kyungsoo to keep living his life optimistically. While stirring the dish he was pouring his heart into, Kyungsoo wondered how he once used to leave Jongin alone in the house for the entire day to go to work. The thought was amusing to Kyungsoo, for he even was considering to seek permission from Dr. Minseok to join in during Jongin's sessions; merely because he missed Jongin too much. He laughed to himself as he kept repeating the thought in his mind, wondering how far they had come along. Ever since his mother left their lives, Kyungsoo had gradually started to grow closer to Jongin, and the growth seemed to flourish even more as the time passed. Yes, Kyungsoo was almost cut off from his social life, he even had to sacrifice a lot of his sleep to finish his office work before deadlines, but these drawbacks were still negligible in front of the boundless happiness the new couple was experiencing. Kyungsoo smiled to himself as he pondered over those amazing thoughts, but thankfully he snapped out of them just in time. The doorbell rang, and Kyungsoo almost cussed as he noticed that his dinner was about to get burnt. He quickly turned the stove flame off and covered the pot before removing his kitchen apron and heading to see who had shown up on a regular monday evening.

Behind the door stood the person Kyungsoo would never have guessed. The person he had not seen in months, but had certainly not forgotten about...because how can one forget about his mother?

"Kyungsoo..."

That motherly way in which Dr. Doh said her son's name melted Kyungsoo's heart. No one can resist the love of a mother, no matter what kind of relationship they share. After all, her blood runs in her son's veins. Kyungsoo almost teared up when he saw his mother after so long. The memory of his mother's awful crime was still vivid in Kyungsoo's brain, but somehow he was no more angry at his mother. Probably it was because Kyungsoo and Jongin had finally found their solace in each other, and both of them were doing great in their lives. Also Kyungsoo was now confident that he would be able to protect Jongin from everyone no matter what. So Kyungsoo was actually considering to forgive his mother for her past mistakes. The woman had already suffered the loss of her husband, she was bound to get insecured about her son too. The ways she opted for to keep her son all to herself, and keep him away from Jongin were obviously absolutely contemptible and in no way acceptable; but Kyungsoo no longer had any issues in forgiving her and giving her a chance if she had realised all her wrong doings. If the elder was trying to mend her broken relationship with her son and take responsibility for her mistakes then Kyungsoo should definitely give her a chance.

Kyungsoo's gaze softened, he simply left the front door wide open and walked back inside the house, signaling his mother to come in. Kyungsoo's mom followed him. They walked into the lobby, but before his mother could even think of settling in or saying even a single word, Kyungsoo turned around and trying to sound as harsh as possible, he said in a sharp and crisp tone, "Mom, before you even think of apologising, I want to make it clear to you that you're not welcomed in this house when Jongin is around. After what you did to him, I don't want to see you anywhere near him."

"Apologise?", the frown on her wrinkly face showed clear signs of confusion, "...for what?"

Kyungsoo was taken aback by his mother's reaction. So was that not why his mother had shown up? She still hadn't realised what she had done. He scoffed out loud thinking how foolish he was to think that the woman who had stooped so low that she played with the life of her innocent patient, who was so dear to her own son, would actually have guilty conscience. He was about to ask his mother to leave because he would not talk to her until or unless she owned up to her mistakes, but before he could do so, her mother cut him off by continuing-

"If there's anyone who should apologise, then that's you."

Now that was straight up ridiculous. Kyungsoo shrieked out loud, "What?"

"Oh don't you act so oblivious. You obviously do know what you did that you should be apologising for."

Kyungsoo was confident that he did not do anything like that, but just to hear what rubbish his mother had cooked up this time he crossed his arms over his chest and asked her. "I don't remember. Remind me what I did."

With an equally agitated and angry expression, Kyungsoo's mother hissed through her teeth, emphasising each word she said, "Well, the whole city knows now that you hungrily made out with your retard stepbrother in smack-dab middle of a busy market."

Kyungsoo was dumbfounded. He had almost forgotten about that kiss. That moment was so impulsive and rushed, Kyungsoo had little to no memory of it. At that time everything else was blurred and Kyungsoo had that tunnel vision only for Jongin. He never realised that the people present there would notice them. Kyungsoo had somehow dared to fall in love with Jongin, but he still did not have enough courage to be open about his relationship with Jongin. First, because his uality was still hidden from almost everyone besides Baekhyun and Suho, second, because of his morally wrong decision of getting involved with his own stepbrother, and last because of the social stigma prevailing in the society about a normal person being in a ual relationship with someone with mental disabilities. All of these reasons shouldn't have mattered at all, but Kyungsoo was not so brave, he did care about people's perceptions of himself. And this news from his mother's mouth slid the ground away from beneath his feet. He took a moment to accept the reality that the whole world would be judging him and Jongin from now on, and shaming them for the rest of their lives. After he took his time to process the whole information, he focussed on the set of words his mother had just used to tell it. Of anyone else in the world, the woman in front of him was least permitted to say anything bad againt Jongin. Not only because she had tried to harm him in the worst way possible, but also because she was a highly reputed doctor specialised for treating people like Jongin himself. Kyungsoo could dwell into his sorrows later on, at that moment he just couldn't avoid to show his disgust towards the horrible human standing in front of him.

"That's none of your business Dr. Doh...", of course Kyungsoo was not going to call that lady his mother after seeing what levels she could stoop to, "...and don't you dare say anything about my Jongin."

The woman's loud scoff didn't help Kyungsoo's boiling blood at all.

"You're so dumb, aren't you? You still haven't realised your mistake. People out there are ting on you, your life is completely ruined. And its all because of that son of a . I knew it since the beginning that he would steal you from me one day and also would be the reason for your downfall, and I tried my best to keep that from happening. But instead of being grateful for my intentions and being sorry for pushing me away, you're still taking that scum's side."

Kyungsoo balled his hands into tight fists. He was trying his best to hold his anger in. If it had been anyone else in place of his mother at the moment, Kyungsoo wouldn't have hesitated once before throwing fists. But for the time being he had to keep his cool, so he went for an answer to silent his mother.

"I love him. Did you hear that? I LOVE JONGIN. And I won't spare anyone who comes in between me and him."

Dr. Doh shook her head vigorously, "No honey you're not understanding. He has blinded you with that innocent persona he plays."

The amount of ridiculous and senseless stuff the lady had been blabbering wasn't even making Kyungsoo angry anymore, rather he was amused by witnessing the clownery of the most reputed neurologist of Seoul. He narrowed his eyes and shrugging his shoulders said in a matter-of-fact manner-

"That shouldn't even bother you. I've already broken my relationship with you. I don't even call you Mom anymore."

What Kyungsoo had thought would hurt his mother too much, was instead taken with a grain of salt, which was clear by the words of his mother that followed-

"But the world doesn't know. They still believe that you're my son. And your little adventures with that crazy Jongin are tarnishing my reputation..."

Kyungsoo took a moment to feel disgusted at his mother once again. Till now he believed that at least the woman cared about her own son, but oh god was he wrong. She was so selfish that Kyungsoo couldn't even comprehend it properly. She didn't care if her own blood refused to accept her in his life, all she cared about was that god-like reputation she didn't even deserve. But just when Kyungsoo thought that the woman couldn't fall any lower, she successfully proved him wrong as she continued her sentence after a pause-

"...and also your father's."

"What?"

"Yes. Just because he doesn't live here anymore doesn't mean that people have forgotten about him. He spent so many years to earn his reputation as a successful and hard working businessman, only to get it ruined by an abandoned retard like Jongin? No, I won't let that happen."

Things had gone beyond Kyungsoo's limit to take in. Out of all the people in the world, all that lady cared for was the man who cheated on her, stole her child from her and kicked her out of his life when she didn't even have a home to live in. All of that was far beyond Kyungsoo's understanding. Along with all the hopes to carry the conversation further to some point, he had also lost the little respect he had in his heart for his mother. His head was hurting so bad that he thought that it was probably best for him to simply ignore that woman. So he just rolled his eyes and his heels to step away and arrange the dining table for the special dinner he and Jongin were going to have. On his way, he muttered in a low but still audible voice, "Just....just leave."

He tried his best to keep the focus on arranging those beautiful flowers in the vase, but he just could not avoid noticing that burning gaze of that pretentious woman standing still behind him. Only after a few moments did she actually spoke up, in an almost inaudible voice which Kyungsoo didn't fail to catch.

"Why was he not in the car with his mother that day.."

A loud smash on the floor set the woman jump up in fear. No more words were required, the pieces of shattered vase lying on the floor next to her feet, and a raging Kyungsoo with bloodshot eyes and heaving chest was enough of a threat for her. She immediately took to her heels and found her way out of the house.

*************************

"A-Are you okay?"

Kyungsoo, who was previously rubbing his aching head with his right hand looked down at Jongin who had just asked that unexpected question. It was late in the night, Jongin was wrapped around Kyungsoo's body while resting his head on top of the older's chest trying to fall asleep when he had suddenly said it after about an hour of dead silence. Kyungsoo was still pondering over the events from his encounter with his mother that evening, but was instantly brought out of his trance just when he saw Jongin looking right into his eyes with his own extremely worried ones. Kyungsoo very well knew that Jongin was either extremely shocked or emotionally moved whenever he decided to subside his constant anxiety level and make an eye contact with anyone, and now was one of those times. Jongin's concern touched Kyungsoo's heart and he gave Jongin a genuine smile in return as he said in the most soothing voice ever, "I am absolutely fine, sweetie."

Jongin seemed to be partially convinced by Kyungsoo's reply because he hesitantly rested his head back on top of Kyungsoo's chest, to help him get rid of any doubts left, Kyungsoo held Jongin's hand in his free hand and peppered it with gentle kisses. He waited for Jongin's tense body to relax in his arms before letting go of that hand, and once again dwelled in his thoughts. One of his old habits kicked back in, and Kyungsoo couldn't control his tongue when his thoughts decided to come out through his voice.

"Jongin?"

A gentle "Hmm" followed, it was as if Jongin was half asleep but still cared to answer Kyungsoo.

"Do you miss Mom?"

Kyungsoo's question was completely out of the blue, so much so that Jongin instantly sat up on the bed after hearing it. He had a faint smile on his face when he said, "Y-Yes."

"Really?", Kyungsoo was not so astonished to hear that. In fact, that was the very reason he asked that question to Jongin. He was continuously thinking about that time when Jongin had burnt his arm just because his 'mom' had been rude to him. He never quite understood why Jongin still cared about her when she never in all those years gave him anything except pure hate. Yes, Jongin was entirely oblivious to her malpractices, but the woman's harshness, rudeness, partiality and negligence towards him was enough of a reason for him to despise her in return as well; but still somehow he loved her. Kyungsoo was about to cry as the memories of his mother buying him expensive gifts and clothes on Christmas, and Jongin left uncared for watching them from a distance wearing his old sweater came kicking back in. He was also reminded of the time, when he had asked his mother that where she used to take Jongin all those times he sent him to her in order to get his behavioural therapies, and she had shamelessly confessed that she would lock Jongin in an isolation ward of the mental hospital she worked in. The woman had always been cruel to Jongin, yet why, why did he still miss her, where on the other hand that woman wished death for him. "Why Jongin?"

Jongin chuckled at that, as if that was such a stupid question. "Because she... she's my m-mother."

Holding back tears was getting hard for Kyungsoo. He had always protected Jongin from the truth that the woman was not his real mother, and that in reality...he was an orphan. He had no intentions for revealing that truth to Jongin anytime sooner, but he just couldn't bear the fact that Jongin thought so well about that horrible person. "But Jongin...she never even cared for you. She never loved you."

Kyungsoo's words were hurtful, but they still needed to be said. And the hurt did reach Jongin to some extent. He simply hung his head low as he replied.

"It...it doesn't matter to me. I...I only had you, B-Baekhyun hyung and her. How am I su-supposed to not miss her?"

Kyungsoo's heart melted at that. He got all his answers by just that, and even felt a little guilty for not understanding them sooner. He had never realised that Jongin's whole world was limited to just that house. He only had those limited people in his life. Of course, he would never want to give any of them up. He said it didn't matter to him if his 'mom' was empathetic towards him or not, that only showed that Jongin's perception towards the world was something far beyond the thinking of a normal human like Kyungsoo. He wanted to embrace Jongin and shower all of his love on him, but Jongin had something more to say-

"I understand why...why she doesn't l-love me. Because I know I... I'm different from the others. I'm not n-normal. I'm aware."

"Oh no Jongin...", Kyungsoo couldn't bear the sight of that weak and sad smile Jongin said those painful things with. He cupped Jongin's sad little face in his hands and said to him in a shivery (because of the cries building up), yet confident voice, "... you're not different. Don't ever say that again, okay?"

"But-"

"No", Kyungsoo lifted Jongin's face up, making him look into his eyes to witness the honesty in them as he gently whispered to him, "You're not different. You're unique. You're special. You're blessed. Blessed with a vision like no other. Blessed with the purest heart ever. Blessed with a smart brain and intelligence. And blessed with unparalleled beauty."

The red that was creeping up on Jongin's soft cheeks after hearing those beautiful words from Kyungsoo's mouth was pulling strings on Kyungsoo's heart. So to that beautiful moment he landed his lips on top of Jongin's. Shy Jongin hastily clutched on the soft fabric of Kyungsoo's shirt when that unexpected kiss happened, but when Kyungsoo started gently rubbing his nape with one of his hands (a technique that he knew worked whenever Jongin needed to be calmed down or forget about his social anxieties), Jongin was able to catch up on it and reciprocate that kiss equally. Kyungsoo was still holding Jongin's head in place as he went on to explore new areas in Jongin's mouth with his tongue. The kiss sure was passionate, but still more meaningful and emotional than ever before. Jongin wasn't even out of breath yet when he pulled away from the kiss. Kyungsoo opened his eyes to see what was wrong, but just then Jongin said-

"I am not as blessed with beauty as you are."

And that's how their mission of taking a break from their regular for that night alone, ended up as a successful failure.


___________________________________________________________


Hey everyone!!
I hope that you liked this chapter. Please don't forget to write down your thoughts in the comments, I really love reading them.
I really hope that all of you are doing great. Stay safe and healthy wherever you are. Sending lots of love and tons of good vibes... <3
Thank you!!