Chapter 7

Strawberries&Cigarettes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Headlights on me

Racing to sixty

 

Joohyun respected Wendy for one thing. Keeping her promises.

When Seulgi sent her a text in the morning that she's going to be late, Joohyun knew she had to talk to the younger girl. It was now or never. She was going to drag that bear to the cafe and apologize to her sincerely.

It was a little frustrating that Seulgi was intentionally avoiding her. She always had the feeling that the bear wasn't the kind of person who speaks about her feelings openly, but if she kept avoiding her refusing to confront their problem, Joohyun wasn't sure if she will be able to catch up before she goes too far.

She really should talk to Seulgi about this.

She was still glad when Seulgi didn't make an excuse to not eat lunch with her.

Today, Joy decided to join them and Joohyun almost regretted allowing her to join.

Joy kept saying Seulgi looked so adorable which made Joohyun fume making Joy even more entertained.

And a dramatic Wendy with a loud Joy and cheerful Yerim on top were an exotic combination.

Seulgi just watched them in amusement and laughed as the three jokers goofed off and Joohyun being the opposite, scowled from time to time, being annoyed by the noise they were making.

She wanted to send Seulgi a private signal but her plan was ruined when Bogum sat on their table, right beside her to say hello.

"What's so funny that makes you guys this excited?"

"Hi, Bogum."

Joohyun almost groaned by the way Wendy wiggled her eyebrows and Joy putting her hands over in mocking shyness, letting out a fake gasp.

"So, when are we going to hang out?"

"Huh?"

"You know, you promised me you will show me around the park."

Seulgi's head instantly shot upward which was very hard for Joohyun to ignore.

Joohyun was now helpless as a caged bunny.

The bunny silently gritted her teeth. Every time when she's with Seulgi Bogum always had to pop in to make things worse.

"Yeah.. About that-"

"I couldn't sleep because I was too excited. It's sure nice to take a break from all this school stuff, right?"

"Right.. But I think the park will be too boring, don't you think?"

Please say yes so I could not hang out with you. Joohyun silently pleaded but Bogum was too kind-hearted to agree.

"Not at all. I heard the park is gorgeous. Surprisingly large with a vintage style. I heard there is even an old statue which I guess can be a little boring. But still."

He smiled sweetly at Joohyun making her speechless as a goldfish.

"I think it's going to be grand with you right next to me."

Before Joohyun could argue, a loud screech echoed making the five heads turn toward Seulgi, who stuffed her bread in and mumbled 'I'll be going now.' before she stormed toward the exit. Yerim picked up her tray in a hurry and waved goodbye as she ran to follow her upset friend.

"What's wrong with Seulgi?" Joy innocently said and Joohyun finally let out a loud groan. Still not understanding the situation, Joy nudged Wendy by the elbow.

"What's wrong with both of them?"

Wendy looked at the exit and then at her friend who was messing up her hair in frustration.

"I have no idea."

.

"I'm being possessive, aren't I?" Seulgi mumbled with guilt as she slumped on her seat. Her burning cheek seemed to cool down by the contact of the wood and she let out a sigh.

"Maybe." Yerim agreed. "But that doesn't mean you shouldn't be upset. Joohyun unnie never told you about Bogum sunbaenim, right?"

"But still." the bear shuffled in her seat, not feeling very comfortable. "I avoided her too much."

"Then maybe you should talk to her."

The bear grunted in response. Yerim was right but she didn't want to accept the fact she needed to talk to Joohyun. Just thinking about it made her nervous and awkward.

Who knows how much more awkward it would be when she actually has that kind of conversation with Joohyun?

"This is why I hate relationships of any kind," Seulgi muttered and her friend shook her head in pity. "It's just two people talking about their feelings to each other, not rocket science."

"I prefer rocket science."

"Geek."

"Shut up."

"I'll help you." Yerim ripped out a piece of paper from her notebook and took out her favorite pink pen. "You write a message to Joohyun unnie and I'll deliver it to her."

"What should I write?"

"That you want to talk to her after school, you idiot!"

"But Joohyun has lessons after school."

"Ah, about that," Yerim smirked. "Wendy unnie told me Joohyun unnie went to the cafe with her so she could skip her lessons and talk to you."

"What now?"

"Wendy unnie promised her she would help her skip her lessons if she goes to the cafe with her."

"Poor Seungwan unnie."

"I know but that's not the point! The point is, you need to show her that you want to talk too!"

"I don't know Yerim.."

Yerim threw up her hands, getting a little tired from this situation. "Do you want Joohyun unnie to think you don't want to talk to her?"

"No..."

"If you don't send this message, she's going to think you're very mad at her and she'll end up having a date with Bogum sunbaenim! Do you want that?"

"No.."

"Then just write you dimwit!"

"Don't call me dimwit!"

.

"I thought you said you'll send the message to Joohyun." Seulgi protested as the two girls stood behind the classroom door that was sealed shut.

"She'll probably think I forced you to do it."

"Well, that's true!"

"Shut up. I'm helping you so you should be grateful for that."

"Can I jump over the window? I think my heart is going to explode from panic."

"Your heart is not a nuclear bomb, Seulgi."

"I might be if you keep making me do this."

"Will you just stop whining and open the goddamn door?" Yerim hissed and Seulgi gulped. "I'm too nervous."

"Gosh, you're like a 14-year-old middle school girl who's about to send a love letter to her crush."

Seulgi frowned in awe. "Why is your description so concrete?"

"Because I was like that."

"You making a fool of yourself? You better tell me about it next time."

"Only if you pass that god damn letter after opening that goddamn door."

"Can we just wait until the door opens?"

Seulgi was hoping that maybe Wendy or Joy might open the door or even Bogum. Then she could just ask them to pass the letter to Joohyun and all would be solved. Not all, actually. Seulgi felt panic rise inside her and sweat started to form on her forehead. What if Joohyun changed her mind? What if Joohyun was mad at her too? She never thought of that. Her nervousness worsened and another emotion called 'fear of getting rejected' curled up inside her, making her in the most devastating state.

"Yerim, I think we should come after-"

What a lucky day. When Seulgi was about to say her speech that maybe they should come later because she was literally going to explode, the door slammed on her face making her fall down on the floor with a sore pain on her forehead.

"Oh my gosh! Are you okay?"

Seulgi swore she heard bells ringing inside her head as her faded sight slowly came clear.

She blinked a few times and when she looked up a very pretty girl with a worried expression was rubbing her forehead looking as if she hurt a puppy.

"I'm so sorry."

"Uh... It's okay. You're pretty. I mean. I'm okay. Pretty okay."

The junior laughed at the younger girl's cute behavior and held out her hand. "Even so, I shouldn't have done that as your sunbae."

Seulgi took her hand and with a little stumble, managed to stand up.

"You didn't do that on purpose so it's fine."

Being a quiet, awkward girl Seulgi didn't know what to say next and Yerim came to the rescue.

"Um... We're kind of looking for someone. Is Joohyun unnie here?"

"Yes, she's here. Do you want me to call her for you?"

Yerim smiled and politely nodded. "That would be great."

The juniorr turned to Seulgi and smiled. "Let me make it up to you for this.. accident. I promise I'll treat you a drink at least."

"Really, it's okay sunbaeni-"

"Ah, I don't take no for an answer." The junior waved at them both before walking away to find Joohyun. "By the way, my name is Kim Jisoo."

"Wow." Yerim gaped in awe as they watched her walk toward Joohyun who was currently not in a good mood. Joy was slinging her arm on her shoulder as if she was trying to comfort her and Wendy was looking at Joohyun as if she was a hard math problem. "Are all sunbaenims goddesses?"

Seulgi silently agreed, still a little dazed by the crash. But all her minds cleared when Joohyun turned her gaze directly at her. It was strange to feel like they were in their own world whenever their eyes met. Seulgi wondered if Joohyun ever felt that too.

Meeting those mesmerizing eyes, her heart almost stopped as she tightly held her note as if it was her lifeline.

Joohyun shook off Joy's arm and walked toward them and when Seulgi turned to ask for advice, Yerim was nowhere

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter