Chapter 4: Min-ji

Love & War

When we landed on the rooftop of the hospital Jong-in was still asleep. He needed it. The pain he's in seems unbearable. I walked with him all the way to the operating room where I was forced to stop. "Do you personally know the patient?" I turn and saw a young woman about my age. I nod. "He was my childhood friend. I'd never thought we'd reconnect this way." I don't know why, but I begin to cry. I don't know why, but I confess to her. "I'm a nurse in the war a-and Jong-in..." She hugs me. "It's okay." "The doctor called him dead. His pulse stopped and he wasn't breathing. His face, his body. It didn't take long for me to recognize him, though." "It's hard. My boyfriend was in the military and not seeing him, wondering if he's going to be okay, if I was going to get the letter saying that he was dead, was a thought that I had for a long time." "The worse part is he doesn't remember. He doesn't remember anything before the war. He doesn't remember our friendship, but I'm thankful that he doesn't remember his fianceé." The nurse smiled at me. "You have feelings for him." It was an accusation more than a question. I nod. "I had for many years, but you can't turn someone like Jennie down. You just don't." "She's the I-get-what-I-want types?" I nod. 

 

I didn't say anything else, I just cried. "Does his family know that he's okay?" "No, I wrote them a letter saying he's dead, because that's what I thought. His parents was trying to get him to move to the States because they didn't want him in the military. But he didn't listen. They would be mad as to the point where if he was dead, they wouldn't claim the body." "That's ed up." "The most ed up thing is that he remembers all the friends he made while in the military, but not from before. Though I wonder if he remembers a little. I asked him if he wanted me to tell his parents that he was alive. It's like he knew that they didn't get along and said no." "I see what's going on." I looked at her confused. "The more you tell me the more I get it." "Get what?" "Let's just say you're going to have to he careful. He's blocking it out. He's going to go through a deep dark depression. And it's going to get bad before it gets better." "Did that happen with your boyfriend?" She shook her head. "My cousin. My family was terrified to be around him."

 

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared hearing this. I was. But he needs someone to take care of him when he gets out of the hospital or he's going to be homeless. "Are you a war nurse?" I nod. "After seeing how personal it got I don't know if I can do it anymore." "It's amazing that you wanted to do it to begin with. I didn't have the heart to do that." "My parents weren't too keen on me doing it. I lost contact with them because of it." "You and your friend are a lot alike. What's your name?" "Min-ji." The girl smiles. "I'm Lalisa." "Nice to meet you." "I can tell me and you are going to be friends. Would you like me to sit with you while you wait?" I smile. "I don't want you to get in trouble." "I won't, I work on the pediatric ward, they have enough people up there." "Okay."

 

It was only nine hours, but it seemed like nine days before the doctor came out. I stood up and walked to him. "He's going to need to see a plastic surgeon for the burns and he'll need to be on pain medication." I close my eyes, he's going to become addicted to the pain pills. "It'll be awhile before he can get discharged. Do you know of his family or friends?" "I'm a friend. He doesn't have any family. I'll take him in and care for him when it's time." The doctor nods. "If you'd like you can see him, but he's resting. His room number is 114." I nod.

 

I look over at Lalisa and I smile. "I better go see him, thanks for waiting with me." She smiled. "No problem. Hopefully I'll see you around?" I nod. "Hopefully." I wave at her and I go to Jong-in's assigned room. 

 

When I got there he was peacefully sleeping with a breathing tube wrapped around his nose and he was covered in bloody bandages and had cast on his left arm and his right leg. I sit in the chair beside his bed. "I'm here just like I promised." I lean down and kiss his hand and I sit and wait not caring if it took all night. I want to be the first person he sees.