Chapter 3: Jong-in

Love & War

She misses me. I wish I could place a face with that voice, but I can't. I want to miss her, too. Her voice sounds so familiar. I just can't place the face. I need to wake up. I need to see that girl. I need to know how I've come across that voice. But my eyes won't open. However, I could hear the heart rate monitor go off. I could hear her voice again, she sounded happy. "Jong-in! You're alive!" I can smile. It hurts, but I can smile. I can smile but for whatever reason I can't open my eyes. She runs over and kisses what I think is my cheek. "I'll go get a doctor." I didn't want her to go. "It's okay, I promise." She promises. "Promise me by the time I come back you'll open your eyes?" I smile. It hurts. I try to nod my head, but I wince in pain. I can't talk, I can't do anything. But there's something about her where ok just want to make her happy. So, I'm going to try. She kisses my cheek and then from the sound of her footsteps she's gone.

 

I hear doctors and other nurses coming in and I panic. Where's the beautiful angel earlier? I need to see her, I promise I'd open my eyes for her. But my brain ignores my request to wait and they flutter open. "His eyes opened!" "He's awake!" Nurses and doctors were all talking at once. I did hear one say that I'll need to be flown to a hospital for surgery. Apparently I have to get surgery. I don't know on what; from the way it feels possibly every bone in my body. 

 

I wanted to see her. I needed to see her. I needed to tell her I was okay. As if my prayers were answered I heard her. And the best thing of all? I could see her. And she's an angel. The most beautiful girl that was put on this planet. But the odd thing is I've seen her before, I just don't know where. "You kept your promise, you're awake!" I look at her tall petite frame. She looked like a porcelain doll. She was a bit tan, but that I could tell was from being in the sun. Her hair was in a sloppy bun on the top of her head. She looked beautiful, and she didn't even need makeup to make her so. I had to say something. I had to talk so I said, "Only... for... you." She smiles. "I've missed you." I tilt my head in confusion. Her smile fades. "You don't remember me?" It was painful for me, but I shook my head no. "I... want... to... though." She smiles sadly. I want her to tell me stories, I want to remember whatever kind of memories we had together. "You're so lucky to be alive," she tells me. "If you want I can tell Jennie." I wince in pain, but she could read the confusion. "She's your fianceé." "I'm... getting... married?" I could tell she was sad about the news. "Yes." Even I was sad. I've never seen this Jennie before. Well, maybe I have I just don't remember. "I can tell them you're alive." "Who...?" "Your parents. I wrote them a letter stating you were dead." For some reason I don't want them to know. The sad thing is I don't even remember my parents. I have them, but I don't remember what they're like. "No... that's... okay." She nods as if she understood. "How... is... Se-hun... and... Kyung-soo?" She gasps. "You remember them?" I nod, it was so painful. "How... could... I... forget? They're... my... best... friends." She looked hurt. Were we friends once? 

 

Before she could answer there was a sound of the helicopter. "It's time for you to go to the hospital." "Ride... with... me?" I was begging. She was about to reply when a doctor came in. "He seems you're the only person he trusts. Ride with him, Nurse Park." She nods and gives me a smile. "Your wish is granted."

 

There was a gurney being rolled in and put beside my bed. "Ah!" I yelled as they lift me up. They strap me in and the straps really irritated my burns and broken bones. "What's... your... name?" I ask the nurse. She straps herself in in the helicopter. "Min-ji." I smile at her. Min-ji. Beautiful. 

 

The straps were unbearable they irritated my burns. I needed comfort. "Hold... my... hand." I was begging. She smiles and gently took it. "Tell... me... a... story." She smiles. "Okay, I'll tell you about the time we gave each other tattoos." I was shocked. "You... have... a... tattoo?" She smiles and nods. She has a beautiful smile. Whoever this Jennie was, I don't want to know her. "Okay here's the story."

________________

 

"I have an idea." Jong-in says. He was laying on Min-ji's bed holding one of her many unicorns. "What's your idea?" He sits up and crosses his legs. "How about we get tattoos?" Min-ji was shocked. "Surely you're joking." "I'm not. I'm serious." "Our parents would kill us and not to mention we're too young to go to a shop." He wiggles his eyebrows up and down. "We're going to give them to each other." Min-ji's jaw couldn't have dropped any further. "Kim Jong-in!" "Come on, Min-ji you trust me don't you." She trusts him with her life. "Fine." Jong-in smiles and leaps from the bed. He goes over to his backpack and pulls out alcohol, needles, and a small jar of ink. "You know we have to put in a place where our parents can't see it, right?" Jong-in rolls his eyes. "Obviously. Pull the strap to your tank top down. I'll do it on the back of your shoulder. You'll put it on mine, too." "What are we getting?" "The first letter of our names." Min-ji smiles. "I like it." "Forever?" He asks. Her smile spreads even wider. "Forever."

_________________________

 

"Do... I... still... have... mine?" I ask. I hope I did. I hope I had a part of our past, something that helps me remember. But she looked sad. "No," she responds shaking her head. "Jennie saw and made you get it removed." I blink back my tears. If we had a friendship like she said we had then I really, really hate this Jennie girl. I need more stories, I need to remember. 

 

I could tell that Min-ji was going to tell me another story, but I was tired. She lightly kisses the back of my hand. "Go to sleep I'll tell you when you wake up."