Chapter 2: Jong-in & Min-ji

Love & War

I knew that voice. I can't remember the face or the girl's name that went with it, I just knew it. And something tells me I have to wake up, not for me, not for my family, but for her. But I can't move. The burns are unbearable. I don't know how many broken bones I have, I could be a shattered mess. I need to make myself known some way before the mortician gets to me. 

_________________

Min-ji 

 

I tell the doctor my personal history with the recently deceased young man and he agreed it was appropriate for me to tell his family personally. His parents didn't really want him in the war. Mr. and Mrs. Kim wanted to take that job offer in Chicago before he even enlisted. But Jong-in wouldn't listen. Trying to control my tears I begin to type up the letter on the military letterhead:

 

Mr. and Mrs. Kim,

I'm sorry to inform you that Jong-in has passed away. I and the doctors tried to revive him, but it was no use, the doctor called it at approximately 8:43 PM. I'm sorry. I don't know what else to say. I haven't seen him in years. I'm sorry that you have to find out this way, and I'm sorry that I lost touch with him. He meant the world to me and us separating was hard for me to bear. I'll list on the bottom of this letter the contact information if you want to collect him. I know you didn't want him in the military to begin with but don't let now to be the time you give up on him. Please.


Condolences,

Park Min-ji 

 

I put the contact information in and I put it in an envelope and address it. I put a stamp on it and put it into the mailbox. The mortician hasn't taken him yet so I go to the chair next to his bed and sit next to him after I take the sheet off his face. I haven't seen him since high school graduation and this is how I see him. I wonder if I should send a letter to Jennie. They were engaged the last I've seen on Instagram. It's the wrong time, but a pang of jealousy came through me. She was so perfect, like a little Barbie doll. Pretty features. "I've missed you, Jong-in. I've missed you so, so much. I'd never thought we'd meet again this way. But we did and I wish you a long and peaceful rest."

 

I let the tears fall and kiss his cheek. I didn't bother putting the sheet over his head.