Chapter 12: Min-ji

Love & War

Today is my birthday, though I don't feel like celebrating. Well, there's nothing to celebrate. However if I could have one wish it would be to take back what I did; but I'll never see him again, it take a miracle. I have to work today which is a much needed distraction. 

 

When I get to work I get greetings of happy birthdays and I nod and smile in thanks and head to the first patient of the day. As I was walking to room 306 I hear someone call my name. The voice, it's too familiar. I'm dreaming. I turn around and running towards me was Jong-in. "Anpanman." He says breathlessly. "What?" I was confused, this was not how I pictured us ever seeing each other again. "That's how we met, our love of Anpanman." I smile and cry. "You remember." He cups my cheeks and wipe my tears with the pad of his thumbs. "I also remember that I never wanted Jennie. That night when we were supposed to hangout I was going to tell you how I really felt." "How do you really feel?" Instead of responding with words he responded with something better. The way he kissed me it was with urgency and need. That he missed me. That this is how he felt about me, and I kissed him with that equal amount. "How cute, now move the hell out of the way!" We broke free and I saw Bob. He must've had a fight with his wife again because he mutters curse words towards her underneath his breath. "How'd you find me?" He smiles sheepishly. "I used my trust fund and hired a private investigator." I laugh. "I'm so, so sorry." "Take the day off." Jong-in needs me, but I need him more. "I rented a car and I have some things for you at your apartment." "How'd you get into my apartment?" "I picked your lock, but trust me you'll love it." He said that like he does it every day. 

 

I find the head nurse and she let's me leave, but is jealous that she sees Jong-in wrap his arm around my waist and kiss my head. I smile at the jealousy and his love for me. At least I hope he loves me. I get into his rental car which is Chevy Camaro. He shuts the door and climbs into the driver's seat and we drive off. "So, what's up your sleeve?" He looks at me sideways. "Just wait and see." He places our fingers together and kisses the back of my hand. 

 

We get to my apartment and I see a sparkly silver 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' banner taped to the door. I turn to look at him. "Jong-in--" he places his finger on my lips. "Open the door." I unlock the door and I smile. I could smell food, Korean BBQ, my favorite. But the other thing that caught my eye was the flowers. My favorites, orchids, calla lilies, roses. I wanted to cry.

 

I walk over and pick it up. "Jong-in." "I have loved you since I met you in third grade. See that journal over there?" I see a little journal that had an alien on it. I pick it up. He gently takes it and opens it to the page. 

 

I KNOW I'M TO YOUNG TO FEEL THIS WAY BUT I LIKE MIN-JI, LIKE IF SHE GAVE ME THE COOTIES I WOULDN'T MIND. SHE'S PRETTY AND I'M LUCKY TO HAVE HER AS A BEST FRIEND. 

 

"I still feel that way, you know." I smile. I just take him in. He healed pretty well. As far as I could see. My mouth went dry as I thought about how well he had healed in other places on his body. "Come here." His voice was husky. I wrap my arms around his neck, but then gasp as he picks me up and kisses me. He carried me to my room and places me on the floor. I take in my surroundings. Roses. So many roses and rose petals. But I gasped at when I saw the bed. There was rose petals in the shape of a heart and sitting in the center was our bears connected together, around my bear's neck was a necklace with a ring. "Jong-in--" He takes the necklace off the bear, and take the ring off the necklace. "You're literally all I have." He was going to cry, that beautiful face, he's going to cry. "I know I'm the only person left in your life." I know the traditional way is one knee, but Jong-in got down on two. "Marry me, please?" I smile. I know I'm going to wake up and it'll be a dream, he won't be there. That this is all a dream. "I'll marry you." He puts the ring on my finger. It was a simple ring that had a plain gold band my favorite stone, an opal. He was going to kiss me, but I stopped him. He was confused. "Show me that this isn't a dream."