Chapter 11: Jong-in

Love & War

Six Months Later 

 

It has been a year and a half and still no sign. But I kept paying him and paying him, not giving up. But the call I was hoping for came, and it was the day before her birthday. I had months ago bought Anpanman books to prove to her that I remember. I answer the call. "What did you find?" "She's in the US working at the UCLA Medical Center as a nurse. It was hard being she had no social media, but I've found her." I was about to cry. "Thank you so much!" "You're welcome." He hangs up and I take my computer and book a flight. Luck keeps taking my side because there was a plane nine hours from now. My girl, I'm coming. But before I do, I head to the tattoo shop.

 

I'm nervous because the last tattoo I had it was the sewing needle and pen ink stick and poke that I had when Min-ji and I were in high school. I remember when my mother threw Jennie at me that Jennie made me get it removed, but now I'm going to get it done. For real. I head into the shop and I paid the money. "What would you like?" The artist was big, bulky he was covered in tattoos. "What would you like." "The letter 'm' on my back left shoulder." He nods and tells me to take my shirt off and lay on my stomach. I imagined the tattoo to be a lot more painful, but it was a lot less painful than the sewing needle. Twenty minutes he finishes and shows me. I have no choice because it's etched into my skin for life, but I do I like it because it symbolizes who it's for. "I like it." He grunts a thanks, covers it up, and gives me some moisturizer to help take care of it. 

 

I pay him and leave. I'm get ready and I pack. "I'm coming, Min-ji. You'll see me soon."