Chapter 10: Min-ji & Jong-in

Love & War

I'm now working at the UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles. I'm still me, but I'm untraceable, unless a private investigator finds me. I don't have any social media. I deleted it when I decided to move. It hurt too much to be back home. Granted he's probably in Chicago living life and preparing for the wedding. I think about more than I deserve. Honestly, I don't deserve to see his face again, but I want to. Just to tell him I'm sorry. 

 

I look at the bear that's sitting on my bed and wonder if he still has the other half. He probably threw it away, not wanting anything to do with me. I wonder if he started to remember. Remember who I am. Though if I was him and what I did, I'd forget me too. I get up and put my work scrubs on and shoes and prepare for work. It's a great distraction for the most part and it's what I need. I've been here a year, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't miss home. I do. But I'd be too painful to work there. Lalisa begged me to stay, but I couldn't; not to work there. I'd be in the psychiatric ward myself.

 

People at my new workplace don't like me. Not because of my ethnicity, but because I don't communicate. I just keep to myself, talk when needed, and go home. Many of the male doctors have tried to ask me out for dates, but I turn them down. I'm not interested. I dab the corner of my eyes where tears threaten to fall and I grab my phone and purse and I leave.

______________

Jong-in 

 

I check my bank account and am shocked that I still had the trust fund money my parents left me. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. I'm going to hire a private investigator. There's one that has a good reputation. He may take a while, but he makes sure he finds the person the other person is looking for. I find his name online and I call immediately. I was going to stay at a hotel until I found a better place to live and I called and told Mr. Chen where to find me. "I will be there precisely 11:00 a.m. sharp." He was very punctual and I told him that I will be ready to meet him in the hotel bar. I smile. It may take some time, but I'll find her. I'll find her and I'll never let her go.