ONE

Twenty Eight Degrees

Author’s Note:

Hello. Thank you for showing interest in 28°C! That makes me very happy. This story is medical-heavy so here are a couple of terms that are quite important to this story.

  • Hypothermia ; A core body temperature below 35°C. Normal core body temperature is around 36,5°C to 37,5°C.
  • ECMO ; Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation. A type of life support.
  • ICU ; Intensive Care Unit.
  • CRP ; C-Reactive Protein. An elevation of C-reactive protein highly suggests the presence of an infection.

 

-----

 

Man, 47 years old, found unconscious on Cheongpa-ro 85ga-gil by teenagers, cold to the touch, no breathing, CPR started by finder.

 

Chanyeol looks at his partner as he climbs into the passenger seat of the ambulance. It doesn’t take more than 30 seconds before they’re on the road, sirens screaming in the afternoon, weaving through the millions of cars driving in Seoul. Joonmyun sighs as he turns off the main road and navigates the smaller roads.

They find a waving teenage girl on the corner of Cheongpa-ro 85-gagil who desperately leads them towards her boyfriend and the man he’s currently trying to resuscitate. Chanyeol is first on the street, closely followed by Joonmyun and the stretcher. The man has a low heart rate and a low blood pressure and he’s cold to the touch. It doesn’t take the two of them long to get him on the stretcher and into the ambulance, covered in warm blankets.

Chanyeol draws 2 mg of adrenaline while Joonmyun calls the doctor at the hospital nearby to report the patient. The patient is given oxygen and the adrenaline and monitored all the way to the hospital, still unconscious and incredibly cold. Without any history it’s hard to say whether or not he’s a drunk who got caught in the winter cold overnight.

It takes 15 minutes to arrive to the hospital because of traffic jams but eventually they hand the patient over to competent hands in the ER.

Joonmyun pats his shoulder comfortingly as if Chanyeol needs the consolation, but Chanyeol has been a paramedic for years and he understands what happens. Drunk people on the street don’t affect him nearly as much as traffic accidents involving children.

It’s dusk when Chanyeol gets off of work, the sun setting behind the large high-rise building. He stretches his arms above his head, cracks his neck to get rid of the muscle tension before he gets in his car to drive home. He listens to Deux on the way home like always, nostalgia getting the best of him.

 

The apartment block is not very impressive even though it’s located in Gangnam, but the underground parking garage is secure and the neighborhood around the block is safe so Chanyeol has no complaints. Chanyeol leans against the wall as the small elevator brings him to the 3rd floor and his body is tired when he fumbles with the keypad and locks himself into the apartment. There’s a smell of fried chicken wafting from the kitchen and the sound of feet in slippers walking towards him.

A smile slips on his lips before he even sees the other man, but the sight has Chanyeol’s body waking up a bit. He feels less tired. His boyfriend, Minseok, is smaller than him, slimmer than him and looks a good deal cuter than him, at least according to Chanyeol.

“Welcome home, my everyday hero,” Minseok says and stretches onto his toes to peck Chanyeol’s smile. “I ordered chicken from Kyochon; I couldn’t be bothered to cook.”

“You’re the best,” Chanyeol answers and leans against the wall so he can take off his shoes and shed his jacket. Minseok disappears back into the kitchen to continue whatever he was doing before Chanyeol arrived home. Chanyeol foregoes his slippers and follows Minseok.

Together they bring the chicken and a bottle of coke from the kitchen to the living room and sink onto the couch. Chanyeol grabs the blanket and Minseok snuggles up against his chest. Eating snuggled up like this is a little messy but neither of them care much.

“We’re so close to a breakthrough,” Minseok says and excess fat off his fingers. “Junghwa accidentally found a reaction that didn’t seem as dangerous as the others we’ve been working with.”

Chanyeol chuckles.

“Junghwa seems to be good at the accidental discoveries,” he says and Minseok shrugs a little and takes another piece of chicken.

“As long as she doesn’t blow up the lab while experimenting, it’s okay.”

He has a smile on his face. Minseok has always been fond of his coworkers, especially the younger but brilliant Junghwa who, on more than one occasion, has stumbled upon something useful by accident. Chanyeol doesn’t know Junghwa outside of what Minseok has told him, but she seems like a sweet girl albeit a bit clumsy.

“That’s true,” he says and wraps a hand around Minseok’s stomach, stopping him from reaching out towards his glass. He burrows his face in Minseok’s neck and closes his eyes as he inhales deeply. Minseok smells of faint chemicals and his shampoo like always, the smell that is so familiar and so comforting to Chanyeol.

They stay like that for a few seconds before Chanyeol lets go and leans back again.

“Something happened at work you need to talk about?” Minseok asks worried, glass forgotten as he turns around and looks Chanyeol in the eye. Chanyeol sends him a smile and shakes his head.

“Can a man not miss his boyfriend?” he asks cheekily and Minseok sighs and turns around in his hold, his focus back on the food. They sit like that, eating slowly, enjoying each other’s company.

When they’re done eating, they grab their books from the coffee table. Chanyeol is reading sappy romance novels while Minseok is buried in his chemistry books and new research papers that can help his own research. It has always been like that; Chanyeol relaxing with getting as far away from his work as possible and Minseok delving deeper into his passion.

Chanyeol falls asleep first, head resting on the backrest of the couch in an awkward position. Minseok doesn’t notice his boyfriend has fallen asleep until he hears the light snores. He doesn’t know what time it is, but it’s not uncommon for him to get lost in his work and forget everything around him. It’s also not uncommon for Chanyeol to fall asleep around 9 PM if he has had an exhausting day. He finishes the research paper he’s reading before he grabs his phone to check the time and wake up his snoring boyfriend.

Chanyeol is groggy when he wakes up and it doesn’t take long before he’s in bed, snuggling under the blue satin sheets that Minseok’s mother gifted them when they moved in together. Minseok’s body heat envelopes him as the smaller man crawls under the covers with him and rests against his back.

 

---

 

The first thing Chanyeol hears when he wakes up is the sound of rain slamming against the bedroom window. Then he notices the chill from where Minseok is no longer pressed against his back. Chanyeol keeps his eyes closed, hoping he can go back to sleep, but it doesn’t work like that.

It’s 8.30 AM according to the alarm clock on Minseok’s nightstand. Minseok went to work around 8 and Chanyeol has the day to himself until his shift begins at 3 PM. With lazy hands he reaches towards his phone, only to realize that it’s not on the nightstand. With a sigh, he rolls onto his back and stares at the ceiling.

The rain is still slamming against the window and a low rumble sounds in the far-off distance. What a great way to start a new day. It takes a few minutes of not doing anything before Chanyeol gets up. His reflection in the bathroom mirror shows pillow lines on his left cheek, brown hair sticking in every direction and a pout on his lips. The ceiling lamp suddenly quits, casting his morning look in shadows and Chanyeol sighs.

It wasn’t a secret to either of the two men that the light bulb was old and about to give up. He runs a hand through his hair in the darkness before he leaves the bathroom, back into the bedroom and flops back on their covers.

Chanyeol’s morning routine consists of brewing the strongest cup of coffee, eating a piece of fruit for breakfast and reading the newspaper. If anyone had told his mother that he would be semi-healthy as an adult, she would’ve laughed until she cried.

The rain keeps pummeling down joined by thunder in the distance. The streets are full of colorful umbrellas and cars going in every direction and in the distance is the sound of a siren traveling through the wind. It’s a new day in Seoul, one of gloominess and busy people like every other day in winter.

 

It’s a silent shift, when Chanyeol gets to work at 3 PM. Joonmyun is sitting on the recliner, playing some game on his cell phone. Luhan is making a cup of coffee, neon-colored jacket slung over his shoulder and wet hair dripping onto his forehead. He must’ve been out mere minutes ago. Their first alarm comes 45 minutes later, an assumed heart attack, CPR has been started by the patient’s son, who found him unconscious. It’s unclear for how long the patient has been in cardiac arrest, but as soon as they arrive to the scene, it’s obvious the man on the floor is dead.

It takes quite some brute force to drag the son away from his father, but there’s no help to be given. He’s ice cold to the touch and in asystole. It’s Joonmyun’s job to handle the family and so, Chanyeol loads the patient onto the stretcher, covers his face and body with a sheet and loads him into the ambulance.

They drive back in silence. It’s always a weird loss when they return to the hospital with someone so clearly dead. They don’t get a lot of time to think, however, before the alarm sounds again and they’re on the way to a child seizing in her mother’s arms.

 

Exhaustion is a friend of Chanyeol’s and so is Byun Baekhyun. Said Baekhyun is standing in front of the hospital when Chanyeol gets off his shift. They always go out for dinner Thursdays, ever since their college days. It’s to catch up, is Baekhyun’s excuse. Sometimes Chanyeol doesn’t mind, other times he’s too tired, but he appreciates his best friend and usually leaves for home in a better mood. So, he’s not one to complain.

“It’s been raining all day!” says Baekhyun as they walk towards Chanyeol’s car. Baekhyun usually rides public transportation to and from the university where he teaches mathematics, so his wife, Sookyung, can have the car, which means Chanyeol is the one driving them to their dinner place.

“I know,” Chanyeol responds, voice a little hoarse with exhaustion. “People keep slipping and fracturing their hips.”

It’s a joke. Not a very good one, but a joke nonetheless. It comes with the profession. Baekhyun understands. He laughs dutifully like a best friend is supposed to and gets into the car. It’s still raining lightly so when Chanyeol’s inside the car, he runs his hands over his face to get the water off and turns on the ignition.

“You look tired. Do you want me to drive?” Baekhyun asks, worry clouding his voice. Chanyeol shakes his head.

“No, it’s all good. Just looking forward to weekend, is all.”

They agree on that.

The drive towards the restaurant is full of Baekhyun talking. He tells Chanyeol about starting new classes after January exams and Sookyungs promotion to brigadier general and their plans on starting a family and Chanyeol listens like a good best friend. It’s a small, quaint restaurant in the middle of Mapo-gu, hidden away from the main streets. The walls are wooden, the scent of food wafting from the kitchen and the woman who greets them in the door is elderly and homely. The soft music playing from the speakers makes it all even more homely. It helps that the food is beyond delicious. They have eaten here before on Sookyungs suggestion and both fell in love with the food.

Baekhyun is still talking like always, but Chanyeol is starting to liven up, his exhaustion from work slowly subsiding. He forgets dying people, fractured bones and seizing children as the evening goes by.

 

“I can’t believe you still haven’t proposed to Minseok,” Baekhyun accuses spontaneously and Chanyeol’s mouth drops open in surprise, a piece of tteokbokki falling onto his plate. If Baekhyun is disgusted with the half-chewed food, he doesn’t show.

“You know we can’t get married,” he mumbles. Chanyeol and Minseok have been together for 6 years, after they finished college at ages 23 and 24. Minseok went on to get his Ph.D. in chemistry and Chanyeol started working as a paramedic. They were lucky to have mostly supportive backgrounds and friends who were happy for them, but society in general still don't like gay couples and it’s still illegal to get married. A proposal would only be for show and Chanyeol doesn’t think he wants to propose when he knows the end-result is going to be no different from how they are now. Not even a slight change in titles.

“You can move to the States,” Baekhyun says matter-of-factly and Chanyeol, now done being surprised and sad, raises an eyebrow in confusion.

“Do you want to get rid of us?” he asks incredulously. Baekhyun laughs and shakes his head, piece of meat on his chopsticks wobbling dangerously.

“Of course not! But I want you to be happy and you’ve been together for 6 years already.”

Chanyeol sighs a little and takes another bite of his food.

“We don’t have to be married to be happy, Baek. It’s fine. Maybe I’ll convince him to host a large party for our 10th anniversary.”

This time it’s Baekhyun who raises his eyebrow in surprise.

“I’m betting on that not happening. It’s going to be a damn miracle if you convince him to host a big party.”

“Maybe I’m the miracle you didn’t know existed,” Chanyeol says with a slight smirk. “Maybe I can convince my boyfriend to host a big party unlike a certain someone who never got his dream wedding.”

It’s a slight jab at Baekhyun and Sookyungs wedding that wasn’t as grand as Baekhyun had hoped it would be. Baekhyun seems comically offended, before he shrugs the insult off.

“I got the girl, sometimes you gotta compromise. I’m still betting on you not being able to convince Minseok.”

The two men shake hands over the table to make the bet legitimate.

 

---

 

Friday is date night. It’s a tradition particularly Chanyeol is in favor of. To keep romance alive and the everyday a little away, he has sworn his Friday evenings to his boyfriend. Minseok thinks it’s a little silly to keep it up but he indulges and is usually happy at the end of the night. Chanyeol has had far too many colleagues end up in bitter marriages because they didn’t manage to keep romance alive and he’s very determined not to end up the same. Love is apparently not enough for most couples.

He’s in the bathroom, letting his brush run through his damp hair. The scent of his cologne hangs slightly in the air and the edges of the mirror is still fogged from his shower. Minseok is in the kitchen, probably looking through the cupboards to find the scissors to cut the label off of his shirt. He showered first, likes being in control and on time.

Chanyeol doesn’t mind showering last. He has always been a little more carefree, a little more spontaneous and he doesn’t put a start time on their date. Friends on both sides have always questioned why they’d dress up to go on a date when they lived together and spent every minute at home together. Chanyeol has tried to explain but has failed miserably every time so when he gets the question these days, he shrugs and says ‘because I love him’. And Chanyeol really does love Minseok.

He grabs the silk shirt that’s carefully placed over the sink and shrugs it on. He buttons it up when he leaves the bathroom to find his boyfriend staring at the hallway mirror.

Minseok is trying to fix a stubborn tuft of hair that refuses to lie down and he’s purses his lips in concentration. Chanyeol chuckles at the sight of him, which has Minseok sending glares his way. He only receives a kiss on his pursed lips in response. Minseok withdraws from their kiss, glare no longer in his eyes.

“Ready?” he asks. Chanyeol embraces him from behind, rests his cheek against Minseok’s neck and takes a deep breath. Minseok smells of his favorite cologne and the scent of himself, hidden underneath. It’s delicious and comforting. Minseok laughs as Chanyeol’s breath tickles him and he moves away from his boyfriend and sends him a smile.

“The jellyfishes are going to be jealous,” he chuckles and Chanyeol snorts with unattractive laughter.

“Right,” he says and reaches out towards his trench coat on the hanger behind him. Minseok takes his own as well and throws his scarf around his neck, covering half his face in the process. Chanyeol shakes his head fondly and reaches out to pull it down enough to uncover his mouth and press another kiss to his lips.

 

They take the subway three stops from Gangnam to Samseong. People are staring at their phones, not caring about the two well-dressed men. Chanyeol and Minseok have perfected the art of dating in public without being too affectionate, too obvious. They enter the COEX mall, looking for their end destination.

They have been here before but they like coming back. It reminds Chanyeol of a time when he was madly in love as it was one of their first date spots. Minseok likes going back to the serenity of it all, the memories and the pure insecure love shared between in the first couple of months. People are talking loudly around them. Chanyeol puts his hand on the small of Minseok’s back to gently guide him ahead, towards the aquarium. Minseok doesn’t react but keeps going forward.

It’s 6 PM and they only have three hours before the aquarium closes. It’s their preferred time to be there. Gone are the school classes and the families with screaming children. Left is the serenity and beauty of the ocean and occasionally free spots in the dark of the underwater tunnel where they can steal a kiss or two without being seen and scrutinized.

Chanyeol pays for their entrance tickets and the girl who checks them sends them a nervous glance as if she sees something behind the façade but doesn’t dare mention it. They ignore it.

When they’re finally around fish and sea plants Chanyeol relaxes visibly. Minseok sends him a smile and reaches out to gently touch his knuckles. They walk through the first part of the exhibit, stops and stares at the small fish and the beautiful rendering of the Korean rivers before they move on.

Chanyeol stares at the glass exhibits trying to locate the tarantulas amongst the LEGO-built housing when something slimy touches his cheek. He jumps back in surprise with a loud squeak and Minseok laughs out loud, beautiful and joyful, while wiping his wet hands in his pants. Chanyeol glares at him but soon softens into a smile. Minseok leans against him and points to the corner of the glass enclosure to point out the tarantula.

They stick their fingers in through the small holes in the fake bathtub to let the cleaner fish eat the dead skin off of their fingers, giggling in the process.

The exhibits darken a little after that and with no one around them, Chanyeol reaches out to lightly grab Minseok’s fingers. They’re barely interlinked but it feels right, feels so perfect.

Minseok lets go as they walk towards the rays and he leans over the aquarium only to get splashed when a ray waves at him near the edge. Chanyeol doubles over in laughter at his boyfriend that sputters. The small reef sharks are swimming in circles, and they lean down to look through the glass. They don’t get up before they hear another couple talk behind them.

Walking through the aquarium is peaceful as always. No matter how many times they come, they’re still just as fascinated as ever when they reach the large Ocean Kingdom exhibit.

The large sand tiger shark is drifting slowly through the water, looking regal. Sting rays are gliding through the water around the sharks. Minseok drags Chanyeol to the benches and sits down. They spend 20 minutes in front of the Ocean Kingdom exhibit, drifting away in the beauty of it all. Minseok rests his head on Chanyeol’s shoulder but continues to look at the water in front of them. It takes everything Chanyeol has to not lean down and kiss him.

When they finally do move on, they’re walking hand in hand, Minseok walking in front, gently pulling Chanyeol along with him. Minseok jabs at Chanyeol while they’re looking at the manatees and Chanyeol lets him, knows that he will get revenge when they enter the Garden of Jellyfish exhibition.

There is silent around them when they get on the conveyer belt through the Deep Blue Sea Tunnel. Looking up and around them with the water shining it’s blue light on them, Minseok rests his head against Chanyeol’s chest and sighs happily. Chanyeol can’t stop himself when he steps off of the conveyer belt and pulls Minseok with him to the darkest corner. Making sure they’re alone, he leans down and kisses Minseok’s lips. It’s soft and light but it fills his chest with love.

Minseok smiles when he pulls away and gently taps Chanyeol’s lower lip before he returns to the conveyor belt. They let it take them through the deep blue ocean and watches the rays and sharks above them. Chanyeol points out the small blue jellyfish and proudly announces Minseok must know exactly how it must feel to be this tiny and Minseok hits his chest and pulls him quickly through.

They watch the penguins have fun, laughing at stupid anecdotes and stories and assigns every penguin to one of their human friends depending on its behavior.

When they leave the aquarium, Chanyeol mostly just wants to head home and kiss his boyfriend forever, but Minseok isn’t having any of that. He pulls Chanyeol through COEX mall to find a restaurant. He finds what he’s looking for and they request a table in a corner. Sitting for themselves they order food and leans back in the chairs. Their conversations range from everyday topics to their experiences at the aquarium, deliberately ignoring any kind of topic that could allude to their relationship. The food is amazing, and they don’t leave the mall until it’s 11.30 PM.

Minseok suggests walking back home instead of the subway and Chanyeol pouts, unhappy about walking in the cold. It has Minseok laughing, slowly pulling off his scarf and gently rising on his toes to put it around Chanyeol.

Walking home in the late evening with Minseok is only making Chanyeol more excited to get back to the comforts of their apartment and kissing him. He wants to grab his hand, intertwine their fingers and forget the world around them exists but he can’t do that. Minseok has popped the collar on his jacket to keep the cold away without his scarf. They’re halfway home when Chanyeol takes pity on him and hands it back.

 

“Thanks for today,” Minseok says when they enter their apartment and Chanyeol raises an eyebrow as he turns around to look at him.

“The evening isn’t over,” he answers and wiggles an eyebrow. Minseok laughs and hits Chanyeol with his scarf. Chanyeol isn’t fazed, though. Instead he sheds his trench coat and corners Minseok against the door. Minseok is still chuckling and his eyes shrink into the most beautiful crescents when he’s laughing and Chanyeol falls in love all over again.

He leans down and catches Minseok’s smiling lips with his own, hands leaving the door to hold his boyfriend. Minseok leans into the touch, deepens the kiss and closes his eyes. It’s passionate and deep. Minseok runs his hands up Chanyeol’s back and reaches his hair. Chanyeol leans back slightly, only enough to let go of Minseok’s lips.

“I love you,” he whispers and Minseok shakes his head in disbelief at the interruption of their kiss. He doesn’t answer with words but the way he tugs on Chanyeol’s hair and kisses him in response is enough to know that he loves him as well.

 

They wake up Saturday morning, and pressed together. Minseok lets his fingers run over Chanyeol’s chest in a mindless pattern, up and down, before he rests his hand just above his heart. Chanyeol smiles and tries to cuddle closer. Love is all around them, in the memories of yesterday evening, in the touches and the smiles. Minseok looks at him with morning hair and Chanyeol smiles impossibly brighter. The smile only leaves when it’s replaced by Minseok’s lips in a sweet kiss that soon evolves into morning fun.

Chanyeol doesn’t have work Saturday. Instead they stay in, sending kisses through the air and drinking well-made coffee. Minseok skips on his research so he can tease Chanyeol and Chanyeol doesn’t mind one bit as long as he gets to kiss the other in the end. Minseok suggests they clean and Chanyeol vehemently denies that idea.

Instead they agree to take a small walk, soak up the last of winter before spring inevitably takes over. In the evening they cook shabu shabu and puts on a movie.

 

---

 

Chanyeol returns from his Sunday evening shift a little later than usual because an emergency right at the end of his shift. He expects Minseok to be reading on the couch. Instead he finds his boyfriend cuddled up under what looks to be 3 blankets and their duvet, still shivering slightly in his sleep. Next to the bed stands a bucket on a towel, in case nausea gets too much and he has to vomit.

Chanyeol silently sits down on the bed, slowly and carefully caressing Minseok’s side. It doesn’t wake him up but with clear signs his boyfriend is sick, Chanyeol doesn’t want to wake him up. A soft palm to Minseok’s forehead denies fever and Chanyeol leans over to press his lips to his cheek in a soft kiss.

Then he gets off the bed, brews a cup of coffee and sits down on the couch to finish his book before going to bed.

 

He wakes up, groggy and confused, to the sound of water running. Looking around he spots a figure of a person in the corner, back turned towards him. Chanyeol rubs his eyes and turns around in bed as the sound stops.

“What are you doing, babe?”

His voice is rough and clouded with sleep. Minseok turns around to look towards Chanyeol and he looks almost surprised to not be alone.

“I … don’t know?”

He’s obviously struggling with the strings on his pajama pants, fingers not working the way they’re supposed to. The stench of urine slowly starts overtaking the room. Something’s wrong. Chanyeol sits up in bed and reaches a hand out towards Minseok.

When Minseok doesn’t react, looking kind of lost in front of the closet, Chanyeol gets out of bed. His skin is cold to the touch and he reacts a few seconds too late for it to be normal.

“Go back to bed,” Chanyeol says, voice more alert.

“No, I …” Minseok starts but the rest of his sentence is slurred and unintelligible. This is so wrong. Chanyeol guides Minseok back to bed before he turns on the night light and reaches up into the closet to get his first aid kit. Minseok’s temperature is 30°C. It makes so little sense to Chanyeol that he stares at the number before it disappears on the thermometer. Maybe it’s broken. Why would Minseok be suffering hypothermia while inside, covered in clothes and blankets?

He discards the temperature and grabs his blood pressure machine and wraps the cuff around Minseok’s upper arm. Minseok seems to be even more confused than usually. Chanyeol notes the symptom in the back of his mind. His blood pressure is low. Listening to his breathing is difficult as his respiration rate is low and Chanyeol decides right away to call 119 for an ambulance.

It’s rare for Chanyeol to be on the other side and it freaks him out. He tries to stay calm, but calmness in the face of losing the love of his life is difficult. The blood pressure gets lower and lower and Minseok is barely conscious by now.

“Please, please, please, please,” he’s begging, unaware of what exactly he’s begging for. What is going on? Nothing makes sense as Chanyeol, in spite of everything, takes Minseok’s temperature again and sees the number stop at 29,6°C.

The hard knock on the door is a welcome distraction and Chanyeol almost sprints to the hall to open the door for the paramedics. Luhan greets him on the other side but there’s too much panic running through Chanyeol for pleasantries.

“Blood pressure 79/55, respiratory rate 10, heart rate 38. Temperature 29,6 last time I checked. I don’t understand what’s going on!”

Chanyeol is rambling. It’s a defense mechanism. Every number he’s saying out loud makes it all seem a little less real. It distances Minseok to refer to him as a patient, protecting Chanyeol’s sanity. Luhan’s findings are only more disturbing, the temperature dropping rapidly along with the heart rate.

“We need to get going – NOW!” he calls to his partner, a woman Chanyeol doesn’t recognize. It doesn’t matter. They have to go. It takes no time to load Minseok onto the stretcher and Chanyeol dissociates a little. He watches it all happening before him, his boyfriend being whisked away by trained professionals, trying to save his life.

It’s not until Luhan grabs his bicep hard that Chanyeol wakes up and realizes this is the reality.

“Want to ride with us?” he asks and Chanyeol nods dumbly. He doesn’t trust himself to drive in a state of panic and worry. Luhan guides him to the ambulance and jumps in the back while the female paramedic opens the passenger door for Chanyeol. Off they go, sirens blaring in the dark of night, racing against time as Minseok’s temperature keeps dropping without explanation.