First Day of School

Parade of Clowns

Hye Joo walked out of the meeting room grudgingly while one of her hands clutched onto a file tightly so as not to allow the contents in it to spill all over the floor as she makes her way to the designated class that she was assigned to for this year. Classes starting at 8 am early in the morning is definitely not her cup of tea, so she went to the school cafeteria before heading to the classroom that was a floor above it. 

 

“A cup of Americano please.” The wolf-like lady spoke in a tired voice, but loud enough so that the staff crew can hear her order. 

 

“Still not getting over it huh?” A certain blond woman entertained her customer with a free cookie offered to the staff daily as she prepared the coffee for the other woman. 

 

“For sure.. I still don’t get why I even signed up to be a teacher. I was sure that my last goal was to be one.” She sighed between words. 

 

“It’d fine though. This is just your second year here. Perhaps next year you’ll have it better.” Jinsoul smiled as she finished the last touches to her high school friend’s cup of drink. 

 

“I hope that’s the case though. Thanks for the drink. See you later!” Hye Joo waved to the woman as she walked back to the office to gather her materials. 

 

---

 

With a cup in hand and a stack of papers in another, she hastily scrambled into the classroom 5 minutes late. What she saw definitely wasn’t what she expected. Usually, children would be sitting on their seats, either talking to each other or doing their own things. But the cacophony of wailing sounds reverberating through the walls of the classrooms told her otherwise. It was basically a zoo in front of her.

 

The unbothered woman then set her things down onto the table with a loud thud, instantly gathering attention from all her students who slowly returned to their own seats. 

 

“It’s the first day of school. And everyone’s new here. I wanna know your names so be good okay?” The teacher then whipped out a list of names printed onto the paper that she was just given over 30 minutes ago by the principal. 

 

It was easy at first, but her brain was starting to disintegrate when she spotted two names that were hardly distinguishable from the rest of the list. Even if they were English names, she would’ve spoken out with ease due to her studying abroad during her university days in America. But this is different. 

 

“Okay.. Who the fork is Choi Li and Ko Won?”

 

As the children in front stared at her awkwardly, only two things came to the teacher’s mind. 

 

“There might be two reasons for this. One, the parents of these children are clowns. Or the principal is just stupid.” The teacher then gave up on the list on hand and told the children to do a mini-activity that allows her to learn the names of all the existing human beings in the same classroom as her. 

 

After a good 1 hour, the teacher somehow managed to get half of the children’s names right, so she decided to call it a break and allowed them to proceed on to her next lesson. As she was about to pack up and leave, a tiny voice came out from the middle row and the teacher caught sight of a petite girl who was misspelled as ‘Ko Won’ in the list given out earlier. 

 

“Yes?” She asked softly, not wanting to scare her on her first day of school.

 

“Can I have your number?” She showed a princess-like grin to her teacher timidly when she saw how annoyed the teacher looked. 

 

“Oh, sure.” Hye Joo then quickly scribbled her number on the whiteboard in big fonts so the girl could see from a distance since another teacher was already waiting outside the classroom. 

 

“Thank you!” A squeaky voice can be heard as the teacher walked out of the door. 

 

“That was rather cute of her. Hmm.. Perhaps this school year won’t be so bad after all.” The wolf smiled to herself as she headed to her cubicle, ready for the next lessons ahead.

 

 

A/N: I'll let you decide who the principal here referred to is..