Noting that down

Noting that down
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Busy days at his job are probably the days that Hakyeon likes the least out of them all. The days filled with the constant arrival of people who approach him in search of information and  incessant calls that have him talking even more than he does on the regular are the days he becomes slightly more fed up with working in this company. Not because this place is insufferable, but after having been working for a few months as a receptionist for one of the biggest art-related companies in Korea, Hakyeon has learnt that it not only takes his charm to be good at his job. Charm which he certainly possesses or else he wouldn’t even be here to begin with, but it also takes to be patient enough with several things that show up on the daily--patience he has certainly lost in between the endless calls that he has to take to all the clients he has to deal with on a daily basis. He doesn’t despise it, but he isn’t all too fond of it either.

 

When he thinks about it, smiling every day is more than fine actually even if he has to fake it-yet it does make his cheeks hurt after a while. Talking on the phone he can deal with splendidly, he kind of did so before being at the reception area of this place and after all he just has to say, ‘Hello, you are getting in contact with the Lee Center of Fine Arts-what can I help you with today?’. Even dealing with overly eager clients to get an appointment from the CEO himself is acceptable, though that’s so not his job--but leave it to Han Sanghyuk, the actual current CEO’s secretary, to leave half the work to him when he is just the person who has to take calls, welcome clients with a smile and answer any inquiry that may raise.

 

But then again, he knows how to do that job by heart and maybe even better than Sanghyuk himself since Hakyeon didn’t work as secretary for Jung Taekwoon, the previous CEO, for nothing. Only that prior to resigning his position as CEO to become part of the investors board, Taekwoon got the really amazing idea of firing Hakyeon on a whim as one of his last activities in that position. And it took a lot of work to convince his past boss to allow him to stay in the company, which he did- but only to be sent by him to the reception counter and away from the spot he had worked so hard to gain about two years ago.

 

The resentment Hakyeon feels is still present, looming over him like a dark cloud that is about to pour down rain over his head and he can’t help but to feel bitterness taking hold of every fiber of his system every month when he sees Taekwoon pass by and he has to lead the way so that he can have a meeting with Lee Jaehwan, the current CEO and son of the owner of this company. And Hakyeon’s definition of actual trouble. Apparently, the reason behind being fired on impulse was because rumour somehow reached Taekwoon that Hakyeon was into the son of the owner, and for Mr.coffee-addict, his ex-boss, this was something completely unforgivable. The worst he could have ever done in his book.

 

‘Mr. Jung! You must believe in me-I don’t even know Mr. Lee personally that well’ Hakyeon had told him, but Taekwoon had called his bluff and had been crystal clear about him not being able to stay as secretary because ‘It’s not possible for you to be eyeing the future CEO, Cha Hakyeon’.

 

Well hell, if only he had known Taekwoon had a bit of a bitter past with Lee Jaehwan he would have stopped himself from feeling slightly attracted to him. Or maybe not. Lee Jaehwan was the boss he had always dreamed of after all- and well damn, he was fine as all hell in the eyes of anyone in the company; with that light shade of brown hair, bright and elegant like the most fine cup of champagne, a shade that went perfectly well with his pale skin tone, vibrant cheerful eyes, plump rosy lips and goddamn that smile, he hadn’t seen something so dazzling in his life. Who could just not be attracted to that smile? Certainly, Hakyeon did feel some sort of attraction-but lying to Jung Taekwoon to save his job had backfired catastrophically. And that had got him stuck here, in his current position-the fall from someone who used to arrange meetings for the CEO to now be stuck almost at the front door; all while faking smiles left and right and looking charming enough when all he wanted was his previous job back.

 

And to have any kind of expectations about Jaehwan magically promoting him seemed sort of futile, even though he knew that his own secretary relied on Hakyeon for some specific things far too much; especially when it came to talking to important clients that already knew him as the most efficient secretary to have ever set foot on that company. He low-key wished that Mr. Lee would acknowledge just how much his young secretary ended up on the first floor asking him for advice, that he would somehow admit he was a better option as secretary-that he should give him his previous job back. Yet it seemed pointless at this point.

 

However, he couldn’t help but feel weakened and give up on his mental whining when his boss would either call him or walk past him, a quick thank you for helping his secretary and a “You are amazing at your job, Cha Hakyeon-ssi, keep at it” which turned into one of the things that he enjoyed hearing a lot and could make his day even if the odds of his life going back to how it was seemed to not be in his favour.

 

During his time as receptionist Hakyeon has learnt that it is better if he doesn’t whine in public. But he does complain to Sanghyuk once he gets a bit of recognition and Jaehwan walks away leaving his heart fluttering. Only slightly, after all--who could resist him? The CEO just suited the name of this place perfectly, Lee Center of Fine Arts. And so far, Hakyeon had not seen art as beautiful as him.

 

“Yah-stop looking at our boss” he hears Sanghyuk tell him, snapping his fingers right next to Hakyeon’s flustered face like that of a teenager who just saw the popular guy everyone crushes on walk by, making him wince when the younger’s fingers brush slightly against his face as Sanghyuk snaps his fingers even more quickly.

 

The ex-secretary turned receptionist just gives him a judging look as he shakes his head in evident disapproval of these actions, making his black locks move slightly as he does. He tries to not to mind the comment but Hakyeon doesn’t enjoy being bothered at work, much less if he is being target of pestering and merciless teasing because of a little bit of attraction towards Lee Jaehwan, “He is fine with me as his secretary” Sanghyuk mentions as he runs his other hand through strands of chestnut dyed hair, his tune making it evident to Hakyeon that he is not alone on the ‘crushing on your boss’ business.

 

“While I’m the secretary in the shadows” Hakyeon replies, slapping away Sanghyuk’s hand in a swift motion that makes the young secretary Han pout in a childish manner as Hakyeon goes back to his position behind the golden counter that stands in the middle of the entrance, right before the grand staircase and elevator engraved with the company’s insignia. He straightens himself, shaking his head in disbelief at how things turned this way and sighs before putting on his best smile. He could win the drama awards at this rate because his smile does hide his bitterness quite well.

 

“Hyung” Sanghyuk approaches him and rests his elbows on the counter, glancing at him from above while Hakyeon looks at him questioningly, wishing for the youth to not be about to ask him for any more favours for the day.

 

“What now?” he asks.

 

“Aren’t you ever going to get over it?” Sanghyuk inquires, Hakyeon lets out an unamused laugh and does his best to keep his composure before he ends up hitting the younger man in any way, which he would love to do no matter how fond he is of the youth. He breathes in and out in an attempt to not lose his cool, to calm himself down before his hand reaches the neck of Sanghyuk in a swift motion like has become accustomed to do whenever he begins feeling exasperated.

 

“Han Sanghyuk” he says in a whisper, almost inaudible yet with hints of threats that Hakyeon manages to get across magnificently, and he can tell he has because Sanghyuk is taking some steps back in search of safety before he snaps, “I’m never going to get over the fact that you had to be so loud about me kind of liking our boss when it was a private conversation”

 

“But hyung--”

 

“No-never, okay? I would still be up there if it hadn’t been for you letting that info reach that coffee addict because of your loud voice” Hakyeon fumes as he remembers every single detail which led to his demotion, he knows that Sanghyuk didn’t do it to get his job and truly is sure there was no ill intention behind but god--couldn’t he just be quiet? It was a little bit of attraction not like he was going to do something about it. Not like he was going to steal his ex-boss’s ex-whatever to begin with, “You could have checked your volume”

 

“I didn’t know I would get promoted!” the now CEO’s secretary complains, throws a fit like he was in any place to and that makes Hakyeon want to give up on this conversation because the kid really had no idea and it came as a surprise to Sanghyuk being chosen by Jaehwan himself, “Mr. Lee needed a secretary and he chose me”

 

“And congrats about that! Yet I still play secretary and I only get paid for one job” Hakyeon replies bitterly while checking out his notepad resting near the telephone, his now best friend, “Don’t forget to call Mr. Kwon later on, you have to arrange a meeting for our boss so yeah, try not to forget”

 

“Yes-thank you, hyung!” but when he sees the smile of the young rising secretary, even through the bitterness and the frustration-Hakyeon still smiles at him and pats his head proudly. It’s his moment after all, he will have his own moment again if the stars align in his favour.

 

Sudden ringing cuts their conversation short, and Hakyeon can overhear through the speaker a voice he already knows so well--Jung Taekwoon is calling Sanghyuk, probably already asking regarding the next board meeting Hakyeon guesses. He tries not to feel bothered by it, but he bites his lip as his hand turns into a fist on top of his notepad, “Ugh-how I hate to have got in the middle of this kind of drama” he mutters and when he looks up, Sanghyuk is looking at him with a grin he doesn’t like at all.

 

“Not like I ever knew Mr. Jung had a thing with Mr. Lee” he says cheekily, phone conversation apparently over.

 

“Uh-huh, not like you aren’t a gossip” Hakyeon teases the younger, he remembers having seen Sanghyuk being a social butterfly before being promoted, always knowing what’s going on with the higher ups some way or another to the point it would even surprise Hakyeon himself back when he was part of that world, back when he felt slightly more powerful per se, “I do remember seeing you conversing a lot with the current CEO’s assistant”

 

“Ah Kim Wonshik? But I mean it is not like he has that much information about--” Sanghyuk fumbles, struggles to come up with excuses to cover up whatever he was going to say and Hakyeon can’t help but to cover his mouth to prevent himself from laughing out loud after teasing the kid, “Plus why would I want to know that much about Mr. Lee?” he asks the older, like it wasn’t already evident to him.

 

Hakyeon has got the hunch that Sanghyuk is a little more than interested in their boss, he hasn’t been oblivious to the way Sanghyuk’s face lights up when he is next to Jaehwan or how he does everything in his power to keep him happy, even if that means burdening Hakyeon with more work than he should have, “Who knows right?” Hakyeon teases, a grin that shows he can see through Sanghyuk’s obvious infatuation for Jaehwan. A teen in love? That’s what Hakyeon would call Secretary Han. As for him, he just knows he is an admirer of finesse and beauty, not a child hopelessly in love- not like ‘so-into-Lee-Jaehwan-I-may-die’ Han Sanghyuk. The day he feels himself falling in love is the day that his system probably malfunctions and the moment Hakyeon becomes anything but rational, so he’d rather just avoid that day altogether.

 

In love, huh? That’s something Hakyeon hasn’t really paid attention to in a long while.

 

/////

 

Hakyeon is standing behind his counter, his least favourite spot in the world because it reminds him of his unfair demotion but one that he has to be at nonetheless. The day hasn’t been as hectic as he would have expected, however, his throat does hurt from so much talking on the phone and his cheeks would be thankful if he would give them a well-deserved rest. He wishes he could go to the cafeteria to get some water for himself, but the ringing from the phone stops him in his tracks and calls out to him to pick it up. His default response to anyone and everyone who calls has been automatically enabled by his system the moment he answers, “Hello, you are getting in contact with the Lee Center of Fine Arts-” the voice he hears on the other end of the line makes him stop his greeting. He definitely just had to call again, he sighs-it was an everyday thing already, “Oh it’s you Sanghyuk-ah--what now?”

 

He takes out his notepad just in case he may need it, ready to note down anything he may need to remember because he never knows what unforeseen favour he may be asked for by Sanghyuk. The notepad habit had become something he had got used to when he was a secretary and it was one he couldn’t just drop easily. He awaits for an answer as he taps his pen against the counter in expectation, kind of overhearing how busy things are up there so he just waits until Sanghyuk answers him, “Hyung! You see, boss asked me if you could come with us to some event later on”

 

This takes Hakyeon by surprise, he hasn’t been at any sort of event ever since he worked for CEO Jung so it does come as a shocker to him to suddenly be invited to one- and by his very boss on top of it, “And why would that be? I’m but the receptionist” he tries to get a reasonable answer out of that, maybe hoping that some promotion is coming his way or that possibly Jaehwan is slightly trying to show some interest in him-though the latter seems impossible and it’s not like he would mind if that wasn’t the case. Promotion, that’s what Hakyeon would like, so he hopes that behind this call there is something good awaiting him, something right, something just.

 

Sanghyuk’s voice brings him back from his musings regarding being at the last floor of the building doing what he knows best and to focus on their conversation, “Because you know a lot of the clients there and I am going to need some help talking to them” he begins explaining. ‘Oh that’s understandable’, Hakyeon wants to sneer but of course can’t because he can’t be that much of a bitter person in front of the kid who looks up to him so much and that still gives him sweet reminders of how it was being in a higher position once upon a time, “Plus seeing you there would be reassuring to them for contract renewals”

 

“Why me though?” Hakyeon insists, probably searching for the answer he craves hearing, that so well-deserved promotion he deems just.

 

“Because you are the experienced one” secretary Han replies to him simply, acknowledging Hakyeon’s expertise when it comes to talking to investors, collectors and artists. But then, he hears the young man stammering, “H-hyung”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Because I don’t really want to be with Mr. Lee on my own” and there it is, Hakyeon knows there was something more to it other than him being in the know about investors and important people. He doesn’t know if it was his boss’s idea or the young love-struck secretary’s but whatever it was, he found it somehow adorable that he couldn’t even feel jealous about it.

 

“What do I get out of this?” he replies “It’s being away from my comfortable counter we are talking about” he says teasingly but the reply he gets from Sanghyuk makes him really consider the idea of going to that event he has mentioned.

 

“A rise” he is informed and the word sounds as sweet as honey in his ears, “Maybe a chance to come back here” like music to his ears, a melodious harmony that would translate into more digits in his bank account and leaving this counter probably sooner than he expected, even though he had already lost hope, sort of, kind of. Lee Jaehwan was in fact his dream boss if the whole thing about the rise was legit.

 

“Hmm” Hakyeon begins tapping his pen on the counter loud enough for Sanghyuk to probably hear as he takes his time giving a proper answer.

 

“Tempting, right?” Definitely tempting, Hakyeon says to himself. This was the chance he was unconsciously waiting for, the opportunity to go back and work side by side with the CEO-he could probably be his assistant maybe and work alongside Sanghyuk and tick Jung Taekwoon off, prove him his skills were better than any rumour that made him demote Hakyeon. A perfect opportunity indeed.

 

“For the sake of striking deals with new artists, investors, collectors and the like-I guess I will have to” Hakyeon answers as he opens his notepad, awaiting to take notes regarding his upcoming event, his possible jump to a better position than receptionist.

 

“Don’t make it sound like it is such a pain” he hears the youth whine slightly and Hakyeon can’t help but to smile a bit at the mental image of Sanghyuk pouting childishly, “Put on your best suit, hyung” Sanghyuk adds.

 

“Dress to impress, huh?”

 

“As long as you don’t impress Mr. Lee” Sanghyuk suddenly blabbers.

 

“Oh?” Hakyeon raises an eyebrow while resting his elbow on the counter, “I think someone has a crush?”

 

“I think you were the one who did?” the younger counterattacks, quickly raising up his defenses.

 

“Being attracted is so not the same as crushing on someone” Hakyeon explains, hoping he can tell the difference between a simple ‘I think he’s handsome’ and ‘I malfunction when around him’, which Hakyeon is sure the latter applies to the  infatuated youth on the other end of the line, “Besides, I can get over that-you though”

 

“Shut up, hyung” says Sanghyuk, evident traces of embarrassment present in every word that leaves his lips, “Get back to work”

 

“Get back to staring at our boss’s face all day” Hakyeon coos, quickly hanging up before the younger can counterattack with anything else. Well if he doesn’t make use of this chance and impresses his boss, then he can say bye to his dream of going back to his previous job or a similar one.

 

//////

 

The event he had been invited to by his boss was a cocktail like the ones he had was used to attending, packed with nothing but people whose passion was the fine arts and were on the lookout for the best pieces to add to their collections. A type of event which Hakyeon knew the dress code for by heart, he had prepared himself to do his job for the night as best as he could in order to impress the CEO. Exchanging the recently updated files with Sanghyuk on his iPad upon arrival as he was given a quick update on every single detail he would need to know, even though he was aware of most of the things he was being shown after having helped the young secretary when in trouble.

 

However, the most important thing to keep in mind was having the chance to showcase his convincing skills to Lee Jaehwan and it seemed he was doing a great job for the young CEO was now in front of him, a hand on Hakyeon’s shoulder and his lips curving into a satisfied smile that assured him he was succeeding in his task, “Hakyeon-ssi, thank you for coming tonight”

 

“It was an honour to be invited by you” Hakyeon smiles as he feels a reassuring sensation taking hold of him.  

 

“We really need you here, Taekwoon-ssi really made a mistake kicking you out of your spot” Jaehwan says and this makes Hakyeon confident about the work he is doing tonight and most importantly, regarding being a step closer to getting his job back,  “Not like Sanghyuk is bad though”

 

“Misunderstandings happen-I am loyal to your company though” he replies, trying to not make his usual bitterness obvious in front of his boss.

 

“He still part of the investors board so I’d have to talk to him to promote you-but thank you for supporting Sanghyuk whenever possible”

 

“The pleasure is mine, Mr. Lee”

 

Sanghyuk approaches him about an hour into the event, iPad held tight to his chest as he has a cup of wine in the other hand. Hakyeon is standing by a painting checking his notes and making sure all is in order and that he has all the information he needs, “How’s work going?” the younger asks.

 

“You mean the work you should be doing?”

 

“Hey you are better at talking than me” ‘and you are better at gossiping than me’, Hakyeon would like to say but he just laughs a bit instead as he scans the place in search of any other collector he may know from previous events. Hopes of either selling more artworks or getting new locations for events by the company he works never fading away.

 

“It’s going good” Hakyeon mentions with a smile, “I have managed to get some collectors interested in some paintings while showing them our portfolio”

 

“Great, I managed to get some locations for special exhibitions” he pats the youth’s shoulder in a congratulatory manner when he hears him, proud that he did learn a thing or two from him, “All will be defined through meetings though, hyung”

 

Hakyeon takes quick notice of their boss some meters away talking to some middle aged man that show nothing but pride and satisfaction regarding Jaehwan’s company and when he looks to his side, he can see Sanghyuk glaring that way, his eyes sending daggers towards the people Jaehwan is talking to, “Shouldn’t you be with Lee Jaehwan?” he says as he pushes him forward slightly, making the younger pout.

 

“Can’t you join me?” he asks, and Hakyeon can totally tell that he is flustered about his evident feelings of jealousy that threaten to take over him even during work hours. Still a long way, Hakyeon thinks, he knows it is the worst idea ever to have any kind of conflicting feelings in your job; he knows it well. He lost his position already over mere infatuation, but the day he is ready to give it all up is the moment when he knows he is in love. For now though, he will just witness the young secretary Han in his devastating crushing on his boss ordeal.

 

Sanghyuk frowns when he sees Hakyeon shake his head in disapproval but before he can say anything, a text takes hold of his attention, “I still have something I have to do, hyung” says he, “I have to wait for the son of the owners of one of Seoul’s biggest hotel chains”

 

“Planning to get a deal so we can hold exhibitions there?” is the inquiry.

 

“Something like that”

 

“Trying to make points with Mr. Lee, huh?” Hakyeon makes Sanghyuk smile sheepishly with his teasing, like it was payback time for all the time he had been teased by the younger.

 

“Aren’t you too?”

 

////

 

Hakyeon never got to know if Sanghyuk had that meeting that would potentially land them a deal to hold an art exhibition at one of Seoul’s most exclusive hotels, but what he did find out was that his spot at the side of the higher ups wasn’t going to come back to him so fast. A few days had passed and he was still behind his hectic yet boring reception counter, still having to take calls, still having to greet people with the best smile he could put on.

 

Ever since the event, everyone he had had to greet at the entrance had been investors or collectors, most of them already knew him from before and were taken aback by seeing him at the entrance. Questions began flying his way, asking him what had happened to him, where he went wrong, why wasn’t he by Lee Jaehwan’s side, among other inquiries. Hakyeon had been at a loss when the bombarding by some middle-aged lady took place, ‘Why would CEO Jung do this to you?’ the reason was obvious, a childish fit; maybe deeming him threat enough to get the attention of the current CEO when the only ‘threat’, for the lack of a better term, was already there. Hakyeon would only let out a weak smile, say he was alright, ‘These things happen, ma’am’.

 

Certainly, he couldn’t explain his situation to every client that dropped by and happened to know him. Yet every once in a while he couldn’t help but to wish for someone that didn’t know his name, his face or his past to just walk into the building calmly without interrogating him.

 

But it was futile to even wish for that, especially after his phone hadn’t stopped ringing at all that day, a sound which was beginning to irritate him. Notepad on hand as he was scribbling random notes being told by Sanghyuk every 5 minutes, names and times, helping the younger out with information he had on his own iPad.

 

“Yes, that sculpture from Mr. Yook is going to Mr. Seo’s gallery at Busan” Hakyeon says while making sure he has all the information correctly organized, “Sanghyuk, please tell me you are noting this down?”

 

“Hyung, I just can’t find that info in my own files and I’m about to lose it” he hears the younger telling him, a loud sound of something crashing on the floor can be heard through the phone and Hakyeon swears he is about to lose his cool at any moment.

 

“Let me access the database through my iPad because I don’t have a proper computer here” he says, after all the laptop on his counter has nothing but the essential information a receptionist like him would need, “Just sent it to you”

 

Instances like that one start becoming constant all over that day, notes being written everywhere in his notepad which makes him think he is going to run out of pages by the end of the day--it is a day in which investors and clients have decided to have the Lee Center of the Fine arts under attack it seems, and Hakyeon is the one who is suffering all the bombarding.

 

“Hyung, please tell me the details regarding the collector you talked to--Mr. Lee is asking me for that” Hakyeon hisses, he swears he has already sent that information but begins doubting himself the moment Sanghyuk tells him that data is nowhere to be found on his inbox. And Hakyeon remembers that maybe all is in his trustworthy notebook, his favourite tool, the one which he relies on for everything.

 

Swiftly turning around on his heels for some minutes as there are no customers arriving for a while, he presses his phone between his cheek and his shoulder, trying to not drop it as he moves towards the wall, putting his notebook against it while he searches for the required information, “Right, I had it written here”

 

There’s a rapid exchange of information that ends in Sanghyuk evidently not understanding a thing Hakyeon is saying as he is articulating words in a speed which proves difficult for him to keep up with, “I am telling you the meeting is at 5.00PM after this board meeting!” he snaps. However an unexpected sound interrupts his moment of exasperation, an unanticipated baritone tune reaching his ears and trying to get his attention.

 

“Excuse me”

 

Hakyeon turns around slowly, dread coursing through his system upon hearing that voice calling out to him, light tap on his counter startling him like he had been caught sneaking away from work when in fact he was working more than he was supposed to,”Y-Yes?” he stutters.

 

“Excuse me, hello?” the sight that Hakyeon is met with has him opening his eyes wide in utter surprise upon witnessing the owner of the voice whom he is sure thought of him to be one irresponsible receptionist. Before him stands a young man who appears to be younger than him, hair a dark shade of auburn which gives the illusion it has strands of medium caramel due to the light making its way through the grand windows on the entrance, deep hazelnut eyes that have him at a loss of words for some seconds as they look into Hakyeon’s awaiting for him to answer. Hakyeon is taken aback at the way this young man carries himself, dressed casually in contrast with all the people in suits he has got used to see on a daily basis in his work environment, dark blue denim jeans and jacket making contrast with a deep wine fitted shirt, a camera hanging on his neck and all this makes the extremely busy man think that this person has definitely arrived at the wrong place.

 

“Hello, good morning-is Jaehwan around?” the question catches him off guard and brings him back from his thoughts, the name of his boss being pronounced by this man startling him because he is sure that there’s no way someone this young and who looks like a college student can know Lee Jaehwan and on top of that, ask for him so casually.

 

“Come again?” asks Hakyeon, visibly confused.

 

“Jaehwan” the stranger repeats, both hands on the counter, leaning forward so much that Hakyeon can see his vibrant eyes staring at him from up close. Hakyeon is at a loss upon hearing this casual looking young man so informally mentioning the CEO’s name without any honorific attached to it, “Could you please put me in contact with him?”

 

Hakyeon stares at him for a while dumbfounded, in disbelief that this man in front of him actually knows Mr. Lee for real and out of fear of messing up even more-Hakyeon shakes his head, “I don’t think I can” says Hakyeon as he begins explaining, “If you are talking about Mr. Lee Jaehwan then he is at a meeting with some investors right now”

 

“Oh investors, I see” the young man breathes as he takes a quick look at his phone.

 

“Yeah and I don’t think he can talk to you without an scheduled meeting”

 

“Perfect timing then!” he beams, quickly placing his phone back on his jacket’s pocket-a full smile on his face that makes dimples show up on his cheeks and leaves Hakyeon out of words for some seconds, rendering him unable to react as fast and as properly as he should. The unexpected guest is making his way hastily past Hakyeon’s desk and in direction towards the lift, his steps leading the way as though they knew the building’s structure by heart.

 

“Sir you can’t go in without an appointment!” Hakyeon panics as he tries to make his way out of the reception counter, tossing his notepad aside and in a rush to catch up with the young man who is already inside the lift and about to press the buttons that will take him to the CEO’s office, “Sir!” he calls out.

 

“I know the way, thank you” the stranger says as the elevator door closes right in front of Hakyeon’s face. He is in utter disbelief at what’s currently happening to him, worry is running through his veins and panic overtaking him as he calls out to the man who is probably already midway towards his destination as endless knocking on the elevator’s door follow, albeit in vain. Hakyeon knows there is no way that this door is going to open and he can swear that he is screwed.

 

“Sir--!”Hakyeon shouts as he gazes at the red numbers blinking at him menacingly like a warning sign that has gone off in an instant. A warning that has Hakyeon in a distraught state-his job is in danger he believes and is almost certain that this may the last day at his spot.

 

He walks back to his counter, a hand on top of his notebook, beating himself up for such a careless mistake; in all these months an event like had never taken place and in his years working as secretary nobody would meet his boss without an scheduled meeting. To Hakyeon, everything must be detailed and carefully planned and anything that messes with the way his minds works is a total no in his dictionary, “Oh god what am I going to do” he whispers helplessly, bringing a hand to his face in utter distress, “Sanghyuk--I have to warn him”

 

He guesses it is faster to reach Sanghyuk on his mobile so he quickly grabs his own phone and presses his number, wishing for the best as he does, “Hyukkie” he says in panic, “Hyukkie, this is an emergency!”

 

Before Sanghyuk can say anything, Hakyeon begins explaining the situation as fast as he can, “Huh? Why would you let him pass, hyung?” Sanghyuk replies.

 

“He said he wanted to be put in contact with our boss” Hakyeon adds, the sound of concern being evident in his tone, “Am I screwed? I think I am- am I not?”

 

“How does this client look?” the young secretary asks. Hakyeon currently could care less about explaining how he looks, even if his looks made him blank out for some seconds and caused for this situation to happen to begin with.

 

“I don’t even know if he is a client!” Hakyeon shouts, he shouldn’t have allowed for himself to get distracted so easily and he knows it very well, however all the current stress made him commit that small mistake that could cost him his head. It is the first ever he screws up and in his alarmed state he believes that this can cost him his promotion and his rise.

 

“Then--I think you are screwed, hyung” Sanghyuk says under his breath, “I don’t think Mr. Lee would like to be interrupted, especially when he is awaiting for someone to seal a contract with”

 

“No promotion?” Hakyeon becomes even more alarmed, “Am I going to be stuck on this desk forever?!”

 

“Calm down--let me see if I can do something about it” says the younger as Hakyeon is already awaiting the arrival of the letter which announces his dismissal, “Wait” he hears a thud and overhears Sanghyuk conversing with someone on his end and for some reason this makes Hakyeon break out into cold sweat as his mind immediately goes to the worst thoughts in no time.

 

“Oh--Mr. Lee, it’s a pleasure to see you again” he hears Sanghyuk say, “Hyung, I’m sorry I have to hang up”

 

“Hyukkie--don’t leave me here, my job is endangered yet again and because of some guy who doesn’t know about scheduling meetings”

 

“Hyung I have to hang up for real!”

 

“Should I look for a new job already--” Hakyeon is saying but he is met with the sound of the line dying on him, the call has ended and he swears that he feels like he flatlined alongside it as well.

 

...

 

The sound of the clock ticking has Hakyeon’s nerves turning into an unstable mess every passing minute, an hour has passed ever since that man arrived and there has been no sight from him since. Hakyeon’s only praying to all heavens that there hasn’t been any trouble caused by him, that he somehow isn’t another fan of his boss and isn’t causing a scene while Jaehwan’s on the board meeting.

 

The chime of a bell makes his attention shift from his anxious thoughts to focus solely on the elevator, numbers in descending order indicating that someone is coming his way and when the red digits hit number one and the door is opening, the sight he sees makes him crouch to the floor almost instantly while nothing but fright overtakes his system. He has just seen Jaehwan talking to the man who arrived earlier and the worry of being fired on the spot wins him over and has him hiding without giving it a second thought, his body reacting on its own even if it is improper and childish of him to do something like that.

 

There’s no tapping on his desk though, no reprimanding like he had expected but instead he hears a voice calling out to him from very close, when he lifts his gaze from the floor and looks up he is met with the confused gaze from Sanghyuk, “Hyung?” asks the young secretary, “Hyung, why are you hiding?”

 

Hakyeon is feeling sort of foolish for having reacted in this way but it was something automatic due to his system feeling frayed and wanting for this day to end already, “I just saw our boss pass by and didn’t want him to see me and shout at me” he explains, “Especially not when the other day he was praising me”

 

“All is okay don’t worry” he is reassured by the younger.

 

“What about the disrespectful client?” he asks concerned, his eyes scanning the place in alarm as he remembers he saw him with Jaehwan just some minutes ago.

 

“There’s no disrespectful client, hyung; what are you talking about?”

 

“Hyuk-ah I swear I--”

 

“Don’t be stressed, all is okay, alright?” a light pat on his shoulder that tries to give him the calm he definitely is in need of but it certainly is proving to be difficult for Hakyeon to feel at ease, “I have to go with our boss to check the hotel where we are going to hold an exhibition”

 

Hakyeon is left with thousands of questions filling his mind and threatening to asphyxiate him at any moment, he just glances at his counter in nothing but confusion and grabs his notepad in his hands, rapidly taking some notes just in case he shouldn’t let that person pass again while writing in careful detail all the information he managed to gather in such a brief meeting.

 

‘Lack of scheduled meetings, some college student, probably into Lee Jaehwan’, are just some of the words he writes down to have as a reminder of this meeting. However, Hakyeon fails to notice he is being carefully observed as a “Hey”  makes him look up, his eyes widening, mouth slightly agape and trying to keep his cool as best as he can.

 

“Sir--” he exclaims, “Oh god, I hope you didn’t cause trouble up there--my job would be endangered if you by any chance had” jabbering instantly, raising his hopes up that there was nothing that could lead to his dismissal. He is taken aback though the moment his babbling is cut short by a sudden cough which is soon followed by light laughter, “Sir, why are you laughing?”

 

The stranger that has made his already hectic day an even more stressful one tilts his head to the side, gazes at his tag on his shirt, “Cha Hakyeon-ssi?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“You do your job well--I’m sorry for doing that, I was in a rush”

 

“Excuse me?” Hakyeon asks puzzled.

 

“If you’ll excuse me--I have to go now” says the man as he is about to turn around on his heels and head towards the exit. He stops though and takes his wallet out of the ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter