CHAPTER 4: TRUTH

Literature Genius, Love Noob
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Ah, stress."

Probably an understatement.

Having to wake up with Nayeon eonnie’s sweet messages and getting to share breakfast with Momo alone since Satang got morning classes and she leaves the apartment before I could even jump out of my bed, sounds like a nice routine until it’s not. I can’t hide the fact that I did enjoy it. Getting flustered is such a nice feeling afterall and it would be such a waste not to appreciate their efforts. But everything is getting overly exaggerated as the both of them try to pull something new and better day by day.

Just as when I’m getting ready for finals, Nayeon eonnie’s texts and invitations for hang-outs(which I usually decline) turns into a daily basis. At first, she would catch me at the same coffee shop we’ve first spent time on the day she confessed and then being the energetic eonnie that she is, she would usually try to maximize the day with some other activities like going to arcade, singing her heart out at the karaoke, and other more exhausting stuff for an introvert like me.

I just can't seem to match up with her pace.

Momo on the other hand is a different story. Black haired lady would usually invite me to eat. That is when the problem comes in. If I couldn't catch up with Nayeon eonnie's energy, I can't seem to get it together with Momo's appetite. It's a lot for me to handle. Even though I am already full, she would ask me out to eat. I swear, this girl takes meals more than three times a day and I'm scared to look at a weighing scale now just to slap it to my face that I've gain weight.

"Ugh finally." I slouched my back when I got home and found out that I got the apartment all to myself. No Nayeon eonnie, no Momo, no Satang. Just me alone, and I missed this. I needed this. I collapsed by the couch and turned the television on looking for a show to entertain me somehow. Suddenly, there's some vibration coming from my pants. It must be my phone, someone's calling.

The caller ID shows a tiger emoji. My eyes widen, it's Chaeyoung. It has been a while.

"Hello?"

"Oh hey, Mina eonnie." I instantly smiled by the mention of my name.

"Hey, you still remember me!"

"Well, I haven't seen you here at the bar in a while and seems like finals is about to end."

There's a pause. It sounds like the young blonde is still thinking of what to say.

"Uhuh?" Take your time Chaeng.

"Uhh, I kinda miss you too so I thought why-not-treat-eonnie-some-drinks is not a bad idea, is it?" She says almost rapping and it made me chuckle. How cute.

The offer is not too bad. If there is someone I would entrust myself while going to some bar I just visited for a few times, then that would be Chaeyoung. I remember the first time we've stumbled upon each other. She saved me from the two guys trying to drug me. For the second time we met, she helped me bring home two drunk Japanese girls. After that, we barely see each other. I learned one time that she's a schoolmate: a fine arts freshman and luckily, we belong to the same department. That is when I needed my work to get signed by our organization's professor-in-charge immediately but she has a class at that very hour. I had no choice but to excuse that professor which happens to handle one of Chaeyoung’s class.

The cub sent a picture of me dauntlessly crashing on their room. After that, I was really busy to even send something back. The period between midterms and finals is the hardest and probably the most hectic. Projects are side by side, thesis, paperworks, name it. This is the truth about university life.

I heard a gentle cough on the other side of the phone. I must have spaced out way too long.

"Uhh, yes. Sounds good. I'll see you after the finals?" I calmly replied trying to hide my excitement.

"REALLY?" another cough. "I mean, really? That's good. I'll catch you at your place by 8?" Seems like I ain't the only one excited. With a chuckle, I confirmed, "Right. I'll see you then, Chaeng."

- - -

"Dear Calix,

It is I, Giuseppe. I travelled far enough accross the world but I haven't seen the whole of what it could offer yet. My recipe book doubled in number. My pastries has been very known by the places I visit but my heart feels incomplete. I have been uncertain. I still have doubts. I long for you; your assuring eyes, attractive nose, addictive lips⁠—All of you.

My dearest, I've been wondering, how you are doing? What could have been for the both of us? You told me that love comes in many shapes. You promised me to hold my hand while we both understand what is yet to learn with this dangerous land of greedy hearts and harmful minds. Right now, you are not holding my hand anymore but you are here deep within my heart. I miss you.

The world is cruel. Calix, you are my world. You are cruel; cruel enough to leave me behind, cruel enough to make me feel these feelings I haven't felt before. I don't long for feeling all these again if it isn't for you. You are the only one I have, and yet I lost you.

But not long enough.

As I end this letter, my breathe follows. Wherever you are, I hope the air will bring this letter to you as I travel on a different place, following all your footsteps. I will find you with my uncertain path.

Yours truly,

Giuseppe

 

The end."

My paper ended just like that. Lately, I have received a nice feedback from Professor Park and it seriously gave me a lift to come up with this ending. It isn't a tragedy nor a fluff. Not even angst. Writing has made me learn a lot of things as I take the adventure of each characters. Calix, the uncertain boy who has been doubtful of love, took the risks. Chaeyoung taught me that. She is a brave young woman and I admire her perceptions about this matter.

I am planning on giving her a published version of this on the very night she'll take me out.

 

A knock on my room.

"Mina?" It's Sana.

I opened the door for her and an eonni with an apron holding a tray with her glo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter