If It Matters...

And Then There's You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hyunsik, Minyoung's assisstant came to her house that evening to drop off her revised schedule.

HS: Abonim? You're home? Is nuna in? 

AB: Oh...Shik ahh...it's been a while. No she just left...personal errand...

OM: Shik ah...come in...have you had dinner?

HS: Omonim! It's too early for dinner...I'm here to drop this off...please give it to nuna...

AB: What's that? 

HS: Her schedule..I've added the two new projects she's taking...

OM: What? Two?

AB: Can I have a look?

Hyunsik gave it to Aboji and he flipped through her packed schedule for the next six months...

AB: She can't be serious...what is she trying to do? Shik ahh...are you sure she has confirmed? She's still filming her drama right now...

HS: She has confirmed one...the other she's considering but  has asked me to slot in the timing...

OM: But where will she have time for.....(paused...realising Hyunsik was there...)

HS: Omonim...I know...about them...don't worry.  Hyung will be busy the next three months too...but that's all. He's doing just one project this year...by choice! He's always been that way...plus now he's got...umm nuna (smiling sheepishly...)

AB: Well...that sounds about right to me...

HS: They're pretty serious about each other...in case you didn't know...

OM: Yes...it looks like it too...yeobo...we have to talk to Minyoung...this is just....(looking at all the full days of work for the coming months...)

HS: Maybe she'll listen...but she's pretty firm about this.  I will be off now omonim...abonim! 

Aboji looked through her schedule again...Is she serious about her relationship with Jaewook? Looking at her schedule, aboji became more and more unsure...

OM: It's happening again...isn't it yeobo? Are we just going to let her be?

AB: Just let her be...like always...she won't appreciate us meddling...

OM: No...I happen to like Jaewook...I told you about how he took care of her during the blackmailing issue...

AB: I know...but this is her choice, her life...

OM: He's good for her yeobo...

AB: If he is...she'll make it work...

OM: Yeobo...

 

        🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤

 

Later that night after Minyoung returned home from Jaewook's place...

Appa and omma were having coffee at the dining table. She greeted them and they asked her to join them.  After much convincing by his wife, aboji finally agreed to say something to Minyoung about her busy schedule and Jaewook.

AB: Did everything go well? 

MY: Yes appa...he said I can go...

OM: That's expected...(exchanging looks with her husband)

MY: As long as I keep it short...I'll just go for a while...

AB: So you're dead serious about Jaewook? Going through all these...just for his approval...you love him that much?

MY: Yes...I told you already appa...

AB: Okay, great...but then why did you accept that new drama? And a new reality tv show? They're too close... one after the other...

MY: (Surprised...) How did you know...

AB: Hyunsik came just now to give your new schedule...here..

Appa put the schedule on the table.

MY: Oh...he did? I've always done that if a good script comes along appa...nothing new...

AB: I know...and I've never intervened.  But Minyoung ahh...you have a partner now...one you're very serious about...don't you think you should take it easy a little? Relationships need work to progress...especially secret ones...I don't see any space left in these pages...where does he fit in all this?

OM: Yes...Minyoung ahh...why don't you reconsider...

MY: Wait a minute...appa...omma...I'm not getting married yet...

AB: And I'm not asking you to...but you need to reset your priorities...how can you say nothing is new...it's not the same now.

MY: Because I have a boyfriend?

OM: Yes...you shouldn't let history repeat itself...you should learn from it...especially if the one at stake is important to you...

MY: You're asking me to change...that's not who I am...

AB: No one is asking you to change...I'm sure Jaewook didn't ask that of you as well, that's why this happened (pointing to the schedule)...I am asking you to evolve...as part of a unit...a couple...make adjustments...so that this will work...you want it to work, right?

MY: But it is working...

AB: Really?? At what expense? You haven't had any misunderstandings? Have you broken up in these past months? Has he ever expressed concern about not being part of your life?

Minyoung was finally quiet...how did he know? Well of course we had our difficulties...every relationship has...but  Minyoung couldn't shake off whatever appa said just now and she hesitated for a while...but she honestly didn't see the need to slow down her career just because of her relationship. She knew she can manage both...

AB: Relationships need as much work and he's still just a man...Minyoung ahh...you're stretching him and yourself too thin...listen to us...

OM: And you're dating in secret...that's already difficult in itself...

MY: Appa...omma...I just came back from seeing him and we're fine...

AB: For now yes...but 

MY: If he's okay with what and who I am...why are my own parents...

OM: Minyoung ahh...calm down...we're not criticizing you...we just...happen to know where this is all heading...don't you?

MY: It was different before...those men were not Jaewook oppa...we're fine the way we are...

AB: You're fine because he makes it fine for you...can't you see? I thought you'd meet him half way...until I saw your coming projects...Minyoung ahh...step up or...

MY: Or what? 

AB: It's not going to work...just like the ones before...I can't see you go through that again...I hate to say it but it's not fair for him aswell...

MY: Then don't say it! This is why I didn't want to tell you about us...I'm sorry appa..omma...but I'm already doing all I can for this relationship...I'm going in now...

Minyoung left her parents and went into her room.  I know what I'm doing...why are they so negative? Minyoung was unhappy...what they said was beginning to make her feel uncertain.  'I just want to be part of your life...Sometimes I don't feel like I'm there unless we're physically together like this' Jaewook's honest words to her this afternoon suddenly rang in her head...Oppa...we're fine, right?

Outside.

AB: I knew it...she never sees this as a problem. She's the one who will get hurt the most. 

OM: We know that...but

AB: Look at her schedule! The next six months! I'm done! I get your concern over them not lasting...but she's a grown woman...she says she can handle it...so...

OM: Yeobo...

AB: Maybe she just has to learn the hard way...again...what being ready really means...

OM: Yeobo please...who else can help her? We're the only ones who can ask her to be better...we're her parents...

Aboji looked at his wife...her eyes pleading. Minyoung's work never bothered him before because he knew that's her source of happiness. And he had let it pass and had to witness her go through two painful breakups because of that...the worst was with Hwan. The secrecy and her busy schedule tire the men out...understandably. They drifted apart, and she wasn't even as much in love with any of them as she was with Jaewook now...yet the same cycle was happening again...

AB: I don't know...

OM: At least we can talk to the girls...see what they have to say....or maybe they can step in and advise Minyoung...please yeobo...just once...

AB: You really like him don't you...Jaewook...

OM: Yes...but most importantly, she really loves him...I don't want either of them to get hurt...

Aboji let out a long sigh...sometimes you just have to be cruel to be kind...

AB : Alright...just this once.


     🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤

 

The next day, a man approached the hotel area and was looking around for the proposed meeting location for the blind date.  Minyoung was already there, her mind still in full effect of her conversation with her parents last night.

SK: Ms Rachel Park?

Sean looked at the woman who was waiting for him at the VIP room of the hotel.

Minyoung raised her head and stared at him. This guy...wait a minute...isn't he...S..Sean? She remembered him from the brewery in Germany. Did he plan this? He was wearing a casual grey suit and was smiling down at her. So what if you're good looking? Minyoung couldn't help but felt displeased...

MY: Ah...yes. Please sit down...

He sat opposite her and they shook hands.

SK: This must be very uncomfortable for you...you're looking a little unsettled...oh...maybe you recognize me from Fran's brewery...I'm Sean Kim...Please just call me Sean.

Both of them were silent for a while...What irony? Rejecting Mr Kim...Minyoung cleared and said...

SK: Actually...

MY: Actually...

They were speaking at the same time...

SK: Oh...why don't you go first...

MY: I'm sorry to say this so soon...but the truth is

SK: You're already dating?

MY: Uh? (surprised)...yes, discreetly...but how

SK: That ring you're wearing...you kept touching it from the moment I saw you just now...

MY: Oh! This?(showing her pinkie ring)...was I that obvious...I had a lot on my mind...

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter