If I'm Not There...

And Then There's You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yuri was standing right in front of Jaewook's apartment unit door. She had been standing there for about a minute...mustering her courage and trying to anticipate Jaewook's reaction.  Let's just do it!..She lifted her finger and was about to press the bell...when she paused...thinking...

YR: It can't be, right? 

On a hunch, she pressed the passcode she had known to his home...and suddenly...the door unlocked! Yuri was shocked...

YR: You kept the same passcode, oppa? I don't believe it! (becoming hopeful)

She entered the apartment that was once almost like her home.  It looked more or less the same...it was as though she had never left...this was more than she could ever imagined. You can't blame me for thinking this way now, can you, oppa...you kept the apartment as it was...why?

She walked to his bedroom and opened his closet...

YR: You have more white now...your shirts...that certainly has changed...

Yuri stared at the bed...next to it was a lounge chair...and her heart sank.  That was where he proposed to her.  

3 years ago.

YR: Oppa...are you okay? You seem jittery...something going on?

Yuri held Jaewook's hands as they sat facing each other on the sofa lounge. Jaewook quickly kissed her hands, trying to brush away his nervousness as well. They had been dating for almost a year, and he was certain that Yuri was the one for him. He had always promised himself to settle down when the right person came along...and as the right time is relative to different people...for him, that time was then...he had found the one...and he couldn't wait to begin a new life with her...

JW: Yuri yaah...I love you...

YR: (Smiling)...I love you too...aww...you are such a softie...(hugging him)

JW: I...I can't imagine being with anyone else...now...or ever...

YR: Oppa...

JW: So...I want to know...if you see a future for us together...

YR: Why are you suddenly mentioning our future?...You're always so sentimental...

Jaewook let out a sigh...he had been trying to mention committing to each other several times before...but had always been brushed off by her...he needed to be certain...that their relationship was heading somewhere...

YR: Is this what this is all about? Chammm...

Jaewook took out a ring box from his pocket that he had carried with him for two months...he wanted an answer...and being the private person that he was, he had always planned to do it intimately...He slowly went down on his knees. Yuri was shocked and she didn't have time to react...

JW: Yuri yaa...will you be my wife? (emotional...)

YR: Oppa...I (she tried to speak...but words couldn't come out of ...no oppa...not now...I can't)...

Jaewook's heart sank as he waited for her to answer him. He could already guess her response and it hurt him more as the seconds went by...and he finally got up...

YR: Oppa...mianhaeyo...I need time...

JW: You are unsure...you don't need time...

YR: It's not like that...my career...it's just starting to 

JW: I understand... you're the most important thing to me right now, but it's not the same for you...

YR: Is it such an unfair request oppa? 

JW: That's the thing...it's the most logical request...but why is my heart still hurting? Maybe love has got nothing to do with logic or fairness...I just want to grow with you, career-wise, personality-wise, family-wise...everything...

YR: Oppa...I don't know what to say...but...

JW: Yuri yaa...let's take the time you need...I can't push you down to second best when you are here...and you can't make me your priority even when I am here...

YR: What are you saying? This is ridiculous...oppa!

JW: Let's take our time...I need to regain my old self back...back to when my world didn't revolve around you...go and be what you want without restrictions...I won't hold you back...but...I cannot do in-betweens...that's unfair to me...let's be fair now...just as you wished...

YR: Are you breaking up with me? (Crying...)...because I am not ready to marry you?

JW: Because you didn't tell me...let's do it in December...let's do it next year...let's do it the year after...I can take that...but you just never fitted it in your life plans...I am not there...and if I am not there now, I'm not sure when I will ever be...and I am not one to pity myself...it's just not me...

YR: Oppa...I will marry you...don't do this...

JW: (feigning laughter)...Yuri yaa...this is not a game...and I am not going to make it one...let's not force it...I'll be staying with Dongwook this week...when I come back...

YR: No oppa...

JW: When I come back...I hope I can get my house to myself again...take care Yuri yaa...and...be happy...

Yuri fell on her knees crying...and Jaewook walked away with nothing but the clothes on his back. She took the ring box that he left on the sofa....She opened it...and she cried uncontrollably...

At present.

Yuri wiped the tears rolling down her cheeks.  Chamm! It still feels so raw.  Oppa...,  I regret my decision, my life is empty without you...even with all this success, I need you to make it meaningful...I really hope I am not too late.

As she walked to the bed, she heard the door being unlocked again...and footsteps approaching towards her direction...her heart started beating faster...then she heard...

SM: Oppa! Are you still home? Aren't you supposed to be out already....I've got your...

Sunmi stopped on her tracks as she saw a pair of high heels at the entrance...Minyoung unnie? But she doesn't wear heels outside work...and Jae oppa is...

SM: Min....(before she knew it...)

She saw Yuri coming out from his bedroom...she almost dropped all of Jaewook's hanged clothes that she was holding...

SM: Uu...unnie...Yuri unnie? (I'm dreaming, right?)

YR: Sunmi yaa....annyeong...you still work with oppa?

SM: Err...yes...but...unni...how did you? (Eyes looking around...trying to find Jaewook...if he's here I will kill him...)

YR: Shhhhh....(smiling)...he doesn't know I have returned...

SM: (Ahhhh....thank you God)...Re...returned? (Oppa...ottohke)

YR: I'm back!...Oh Sunmi ya...you're holding that...put them down...

Sunmi put the clothes down and Yuri hugged her...Sunmi was still panicking...what if he comes back home now? Oppa..you better not walk through that door... Andwae! No...it's too soon...think Sunmi...think!!

SM: But unnie...Jae oppa is not here...why don't you come back another time...and...call him first...yes!

YR: He's still angry at me...isn't he? Ahhhhh...he holds such long grudges...

SM: Well...yeahhh...considering...

YR: Sunmi ya...does he...(pauses)...does he have someone else?

SM: Huh? Hahahah...(nervous laughter...)...unnie...I think this is all a little too sudden...even I am shocked...why don't 

YR: Mian...I really couldn't wait to see him...

SM: (Good God! Who do you think you are? Coming and going as you like...tchh!)...I dunno...y'know...if he feels the same...it has been 3 years...

YR: He has someone doesn't he? (Fishing for information)...of course you'd know...you're always with him...

SM: He is a popular guy (you better know it...)...but I am not sure what goes on in his heart or mind...it's his private life unnie...

YR: Well...that's true...

SM: Unnie...let's go grab a drink...for old times sake (how do I get her out of here!)

YR:I was hoping to see him tonight at least...(disappointed)

SM: That's unlikely coz he's out drinking with some theater friends..y'know (motioning drinking...)...We should catch up first over a few drinks ourselves...

YR: Should we?...arasso...

SM: Uh...okay...I'll call Dongwook oppa too...that okay? (I can't do this alone...)

YR: Yaahhh...I heard you are together now...

SM: Hehe...a couple of years now unnie...

YR: I see...good for you...

SM:

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter