Fated to Love

The Leader's Choice

She chuckled and feigned a small yawn as she ended the call.

"There. And now, all we have to do is wait." Though I think we all know who Bang Yongguk will go to. A small chuckle sliced through the crisp and soundless air. It was as though they were playing a game that was rigged to be in her favor - a game she, the gamemaster, was guaranteed to win and in which others had no chance. "Aigoo, our poor Daehyunnie." Daehyun's face was ghostly pale and laden with terrified revelation evident in wide, tentative eyes and slightly parted, quivering lips. Jieun gazed into it sympathetically as an older sister would. He was nearly deceived - nearly brainwashed into falling for another one of her  tricks. The softened features that expressed concern would have been believed to be genuine if it weren't for the vacant dark pools of her eyes.

This mistake, however, was purposeful. Song Jieun would never allow flaws in her acting - the results of years of practice and mastery.

--

She was tired of everything.

At the time, she had been struggling. But that was normal for any idol in the industry.

To the fans and family, she would appear pale and weary. To her friends and members, who she saw more often, she would seem to be gradually slipping into madness, her health visibly deteriorating as a necessary sacrifice made to keep up with her hectic shedules. But there was never anyone who asked, and all took it for granted.

Because everyone around her was the same.

If those who were just starting out lacked in any area, they were cast aside, especially if they had no connection to any big-shot names. But if they persevered, they forced people to notice them whether for the good, the bad, or the controversial. In this world of money and fame, looks and talent, hard work and dedication - and, for the unfortunate, exasperation and desperation, being forgotten and moving on - the pressure built and increased exponentially until its pawns constantly lived beyond the tipping point. While the cameras rolled, they'd muster up whatever little stamina and strength they had left, with every part of their being working overtime and running on pure adrenaline and sporadic surges of energy from multiple sources. Sometimes, though, their systems would malfunction, and in these cases, nothing could possibly power them up again besides much-needed rest.

Jieun learned the hard way that she couldn't depend on hers.

Anyone looking in hardly ever gave her enough credit for what she did. She often felt victimized, crtiticized for doing the best she could, and rejected for being who she was and expected to change. No one understood that she, too, was a human who needed food, sleep, and breaks from work. That's what it was - work. She worked all day, all night, used every opportunity to doze off for five or ten minutes before she went up on stage, got into the recording studio, or posed at yet another photoshoot. It was mundane and physically and mentally draining on most days, but still she kept at it without rebelling as much as she wanted to or felt like she could; she loved her job.

She was here for a reason, after all. She had chosen ths path for herself - a path of longing, striving; acting, and uncaring. Even surrounded by many people who claimed to love her and those who gave her support and friendships akin to a sisterhood, there was a strange emptiness within her. She knew that every idol was subjected to the same privations, and yet not one gave what he or she did not have for fear that it would not be returned. Maybe it was that, underneath it all, everyone was treated the same - went through the same diets, the same training, the same routines - and felt the same unquenched thirst for something more. Something that was not offered in this world.

Was it compassion? Sympathy? She could almost put words to the listless eyes all around her: "We know how you feel, so just it up like the rest of us because there's nothing you can do about it."

That was what made Bang Yongguk different from the rest.

--

"Jieun-sshi, this is Bang Yongguk. He will be the featured rapper in your new song 'Going Crazy.'"

Yongguk bowed, his gums showing around his perfectly white teeth as he straightened. "I'm Bang Yongguk, please take care of me."

With some effort, she managed to smile. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Song Jieun of Secret."

Maybe he was new to this lifestyle. Maybe he wasn't yet used to the demands and expectations. Despite his tough image and his deep, gruff voice, he was capable of showering others with the attention they secretly craved. Yongguk wasn't stupid; he knew perfectly well what being in this industry meant and what it did to its subjects. But that didn't mean he, himself, had to be molded into orthodoxy, for "conventional" was nowhere to be found in his vocabulary.

He was sentimental. He was sensitive to other people's feelings, and he knew what they were feeling and how to cheer them up or get their mind off of it. He was affectionate and tender, someone anyone could rely on even if he was merely a rookie.

Anyone - except Song Jieun.

He could tell that she didn't like him. But he also could tell that she needed something more than the others did. In the days of the recording sessions, he witnessed all of her inner turmoil come loose, unraveling in her speech, her tone, and her manners. She had been fed up with him, had shouted at the top of her lungs that he had no right to be different and to pretend to care about her because people just didn't do that. She was an emotional wreck, with frustrated tears streaming down her face and her hands tangled in her hair and her legs kicking over everything in sight. Everyone else in the studio was appalled by her behavior, and they had to apologize to him profusely for her actions and plead with him to overlook the incident - at least until the recording was done. But Yongguk was not turned off or angry or hurt. When she screamed, he let her. When she left, he went after her. One day, watching her eat ramen beside him on the sidewalk, he knew what she needed.

For Jieun, it was love.

He had always been fond of her, more so than other females as well as the other Secret members. Her attempts at pushing him away with insults and violence only made him more determined to show her tenderness that she hadn't known before.

His hopes skyrocketed when she stopped abusing him.

She fell into a sort of silent acceptance, rolling her eyes at his monologues and unwavering smiles and his overall company. She came to look forward to spending time with him, and she was eternally grateful for having a guardian angel in her life.

She never showed her gratitude. But knowing that he was needed was enough for Yongguk.

Little did he know that she was milking all she could get out of him.

--

She was tired, but not so tired that she would collapse. And not tired enough to rest at home for a change, to just lie in bed and slip away into darkness without any worries, the bags under her eyes not dark enough that make-up couldn't fix. Still presentable. But Jieun had had enough for one day.

She was more irritable than usual and was starting to feel agitated due to the fact that Yongguk hadn't come to see her in over two weeks. She knew how he felt about her. Had he changed his mind? Was he turning the tables and playing hard-to-get? Well, whatever. She didn't need him, anyway.

Jieun sat on the couch in the room the Secret members frequented in the TS building, eyeing the door as if it would be flung open from the outside and in would waltz Yongguk with his gummy smile. Of course, that didn't happen, and when she decided she needed a change of scenery, she left the room. Storming out into the hallway with long, powerful strides in search of some fresh air, she was surprised when her shoulder bumped into something solid, sending her stumbling back two steps while clutching the wall for support. Whatever - or, rather, whoever - she had collided with was sprawled on the floor on all fours, thoroughly flushed and scrambling to stand up. She saw him reach for a blank notepad and a marker that had tumbled onto the floor beside him. She watched, mildly amused, as he remained on his knees in front of her and held out the notepad and marker toward her with his head bowed.

"Please sign this for me, noona! I'm a big fan of yours!"

Silence. Then, chuckling, she continued on her way to the balcony. "What a loser," she said aloud, purposely speaking loud enough for the boy to hear.

 

"HE'S WHAT?!"

Yongguk was startled. "What? All I said was that he's the new addition to our group." He indicated the boy who was hiding behind him, still visibly embarrassed from the scene he'd made earlier that day. "His name is Jung Daehyun."

Jieun didn't know whether to laugh or throw a temper tandrum.

 

Since then, she saw Yongguk less and less. And when she did see him, he was always with him. Always with Daehyun.

And it irked her to no end.

Jieun thought bitterly and unreasonably that if she had just given him an autograph, he wouldn't have had incentive to get revenge on her by going after his leader.

Because Bang Yongguk was hers.

--

"Well, I guess I'd better get going." Jieun walked closer to the two until she was standing in front of Jongup. But all the while, she was looking at Daehyun, who was looking down at the spot she had just left. "Don't wait up."

Daehyun couldn't hear her; his stubbornness wouldn't allow him to listen. He turned. "Jongup-ah." Said boy tore his glare away from Jieun to raise a curious, lamenting brow at Daehyun. "Go with her."

Jongup's eyes went wide. "But - "

His protests, which had been foreseen, were stopped before they could even begin with a small shake of Daehyun's head. "He's coming." He smiled, though his crestfallen eyes betrayed him. "I know he is."

He knew that Jongup wanted to stay and wait with him. He knew that Jongup disliked everything about Jieun - and he even knew that maybe "dislike" wasn't strong enough a word to describe his feelings toward her. But if he was going to do this, he wanted - needed - to do this on his own. For once, he had to be strong.

"It's getting late," Daehyun said. "Go with her. Take her to the recording studio." He could see that Jongup was going to comply, but the other stood his ground a bit longer as though Daehyun would change his mind. "Go. I'll be fine, I promise." He started pulling off the borrowed sweatshirt before a gentle hand on his wrist stopped him.

"Keep it on." The younger readjusted the sweatshirt. His shoulders dropped ever-so-slightly. He couldn't look the other in the eyes. Swallowing hard, with fists clenched tightly at his sides, Jongup asked, glancing sidelong at the girl's expectant face just over his shoulder. "You promise?" Daehyun smiled reassuringly and nodded. A defeated sigh escaped his lips. Reluctantly, he turned to face Jieun.

"Are you going to accompany me, Jonguppie ~ ?"

Without wasting another second staring at her and without uttering a word, Jongup walked briskly down the street, hands stuffed in his pants pockets. She giggled, practically skipping after him. "Such a gentleman ~ "

Daehyun watched them go, disappearing at the end of the street. He sat down on a bench, effectively hidden by a large tree as he stared down into the water. Just then, his phone beeped. When he checked the new text message he'd received, he couldn't help but feel grateful for having someone so caring in his life.

"Thank you," he typed.

--

Jongup was uneasy because he'd left Daehyun alone, vulnerable to the cold and to other potential dangers. Jongup was moody and furious because he was stuck with Jieun, a cold-hearted, selfish - he meant noona.

He walked too fast, and she was almost running to catch up with him. She was too far away to see him pull out his cell phone and send a quick text. "Call me right away if anything happens."

Jieun eventually caught up to him, but found that she couldn't possibly keep up at her regular walking pace. She decided to fall behind by a few steps, still close enough to him to make the hairs on his skin stand on edge.

"This is good."

Jongup halted mid-step. Curiosity got the better of him. He subtly glanced over his shoulder. "What is?"

She smiled, the innocent, bright, carefree expression not matching the hateful words that came out of next: "You'll be able to confirm that Yongguk loves me, and then you can be assurred that no one will come between you and your precious Daehyun." Jongup wasn't even surprised that she knew. It was, after all, the only logical explanation for his protectiveness over Daehyun and his hatred toward her. He looked forward again and resumed walking at his previous pace. He could feel Jieun's amused eyes on him.

"Love has changed you, Jongup-ah. I never would have thought someone as quiet as you could also have this side."

"I guess it changed you, too, huh? I never would have thought you were such a witch." And with that, he effectively silenced her for the rest of the walk. Jongup smirked. There's a lot you don't know about me, noona.

--

Yongguk chose to go the long way to meet Jieun.

In doing so, he would pass by the area where he'd agreed to meet Daehyun. Just in case. He's not there, Yongguk. He probably went back to the dorm hours ago. Daehyun wouldn't still be waiting for him, right? He must have given up, assumed that the other had forgotten or was busy and couldn't make it. He would explain everything and make it up to him later. Daehyun would understand.

Still, he held onto a small ray of hope that the younger would be there, waiting for him. He knew he had no right to feel this way, since he had made up his mind to go to Jieun, but he couldn't help it. Yet at the same time, he was afraid to find him there. What would he do then? Would he continue on his way, pretending he didn't see him, or would he take him on that promised date?

Yongguk had reached Cheonggye Stream. He looked around, unsure of what he'd find and what to do if he found it. His eyes quickly scanned over the wide area, too eager to run away that he couldn't bring himself to search thoroughly the parts that were blocked from his view by monstrous trees. With a sigh, he turned from the darkening scenery and left.

Yongguk was relieved that he didn't have to choose - not right now, at least. But he was also disappointed. He hung his head low as he dragged his feet down the street while he let the facts sink in: Daehyun wasn't there; he went home; he was tired of waiting for him.

He didn't know he had reached the recording studio until he was roughly pulled forward by the front of his shirt.

--

The sun was setting. Daehyun was alone.

He's not coming, Daehyun. Just give it up already.

The early evening air was crisp, but Jongup's sweatshirt kept him warm. He held it closer to his body, burying himself within it as though he could gain support and strength from it. In this moment when he needed it most, he was glad for it.

Because even if Jongup wasn't physically there, he was always comforting him.

The first tear slid down his ruddy, wind-beaten cheek. This time, Daehyun didn't fight it.

He had spent - wasted - so much time knowing that it was impossible and that he should give it up. But his heart wouldn't listen. His heart would ache with longing when he was with him, would leap every time he touched him, would be warmed when he smiled at him. He often forgot that before all else, Yongguk was his friend, his hyung, his leader, for crying out loud.

He was crazy to think that things would have worked out between them.

Who was he kidding? Yongguk was straight. He loved Jieun, and who was he to intervene? They had a history and connection that went farther back than their own.  No matter who or what Jieun truly was, Yongguk loved everything about her. And no matter which way he looked or thought about it, she was right - he didn't love him.

Then why had he asked him out in the first place?

The teardrops now merged into streams. What did Daehyun mean to Yongguk? Why would he want to start something with him when he hadn't even sorted out his feelings for Jieun?

Was he really that pitiful?

He had thought he'd be able to suffer in silence, but he overestimated his own strength. Daehyun was mistaken in every way possible. Was that it? Because he felt bad for him? Daehyun wanted to hate him, he really did, until he realized that he couldn't, and that he, himself, was the one at fault. His stupid feelings ruined everything - even their friendship, which he had originally opted to settle for in lieu of a romantic relationship.

None of this would have happened if he'd taken care of it sooner.

Daehyun leaned forward, bending over to hide his pained expression. He gripped his chest, desperately reaching for his heart. He'd known it all along. He'd known since it first started, but -

He finally accepted that his feelings would never be reciprocated.

This was the right thing to do. There was no use in continuing this pointless unrequited love, for he would always stay in the same place while Yongguk moved farther away from him.

They just weren't fated to be together.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Ermmm...hi? [/brick'd]

I know it's been such a long time and that this update is so long overdue and kjnkjsdkjdnjfn I'm sorry. ;____________;

Lack of inspiration + hectic schedule = not a good mix OTL

Honestly, I had no idea how to put this chapter together, which was the main reason why I kept putting it off.

I knew what elements I wanted to include - just not the way to go about tying them together and making them work.

Buuuuut I had a small miracle one day, and TA-DAH!

After reading the previous chapters over, I realized that I had forgotten where I was originally going. ^^;

But then I had some new ideas! Though I think they're pretty similar to - if not the same as - what I had planned all along. xDD

Aww, my poor Daehyunnie! I'm sorry for putting you through all this misery! T ^T

Things will get better for you soon, I promise! [/huggles]

It's been a while, but I hope my readers are still with me ~

Thank you for your incredible patience ~ ! [/bows]