Break

Stronger Together

"Thank you Sora", Eunhyuk ended the call with smile and showed a thumb up to Yunho, telling everything's settled. "Geez.. you need to control yout expenditure Eunhyuk". "Ya ya I know and I told you, I'm sorry right?", Eunhyuk hugged his best friend for the last time before boarding the plane. 

Yunho watched Eunhyuk walked to gate and waved him. He wasn't sure where Eunhyuk will go, but he wished everything will be smooth for Eunhyuk and goodluck for his new upcoming journey, where he won't be pampered anymore. 

~~

Eunhyuk read his ticket for the last time before boarding the plane. He was relieved Sora booked him a business class seat, so he won't be sitting in a cramped place. Not to mention, if there are kids boarding the plane too! Running, crying and talking non-stop. Oh he couldn't imagine. He chose to board the plane last, so the 'economy passenger' won't stare at him when they're passing by. 

"Hello, this is your pilot talking, please turn off your phone as we're getting prepare for the take-off and please listen to the stewardess for the emergency safety tips. Thank you". 

The plane took-off several minutes after the announcement, bringing Eunhyuk to his new adventure away from home. 

~~ 

"Sir... it's the time for you to go out", the stewardess woke him up. Eunhyuk opened his eyes slowly and looked at the plane's window, blankly ."Sir..?". "Ah.. sorry I'm fully awake now and thank you", Eunhyuk jolted up and quickly took his small bag pack, heading to the plane's door. 

He went to the luggage pick-up point and waited for his luggages to appear. Settled picking his luggages, he went for some declarations. Since he's korean, and it was a domestic flight, the procedure didn't take long. 

Stepping out from the airport, he breathed the fresh air of Mokpo. He missed this scent. He was raised here for several years before moving to seoul and overseas to continue his studies. The greenery and tranquility were still the same as the last time he remembered. He hailed a taxi to drive him to his old house, wanting to stop by there to grab something for survival. 

°°°

"Thank you", he closed the taxi's door and jumped out from the car. Avoiding every CCTV installed in the area, he walked up to his old room. "It should be here somewhere", he rummaged thru his old toys box, searching for a piggy bank he left before. He was sure he left it somewhere inside the room. 

"Ah.. there are still some money here", he counted the money and managed to get at least 400 dollars extra. He left his old house and head to the airbnb where Sora had booked for him. He could just stay in his old house, but he doesn't want his dad to find out his whereabouts thru the CCTV and stuffs. 

Arriving at his airbnb, he unpacked his clothes and arranged it nicely in the cupboard provided by the owner of the airbnb. Feeling hungry again, he opened the fridge and realised he needs to do some grocery for his new place. 

"Excuse me.", Eunhyuk called the guy living beside his room. "Yes?". "Could you tell me where can I do some grocery shopping here?". The guy kindly showed Eunhyuk the way and even exchanged their phone number just in case Eunhyuk needs any help adapting here. 

Using his new neighbour's help, he managed to find a small market nearby. Grabbing the basket at the entrance of the market, he went through each aisle to find some food that can easily be prepared since he can't really cook except for ramen and microwaveable food. 

"Hmm what should I pick?", he observed and read the ingredients of the two different brand of ramen on his hand. Choosing ramen requires a skills and intelligent to make a perfect finger- ramen. Spending about 40 minutes at the ramen section, he made up his mind and picked his desired ramen and some other canned food to stock up the food in his new place. 

He went to the cashier to pay and realised he need to do something about his money. The grocery alone costs him around 50 dollars and dad won't be there to provide him money anymore if he's broke. He quickly need to find and earn money by himself to support himself for the next 4 months. 

~~~

"What should I do?", he googled the answer and can't find any accurate answer to what he had expected. "I didn't know life can be this hard", he sighed and slurped his freshly made ramen. "...and am I supposed to live with this only?", he grumbled about the ramen and looking at the canned food he just bought made it worse. 

To clear his messy thoughts, he went for a walk along the  beach in Mokpo. He sat at the rocky cliffs and took some selfies and photo of the scenery. The breeze from the sea calmed his thoughts and he started to scribble with a stick on the sand. Humming some song he had on his head, enjoying the scenery until he felt like someone was pocking his back. He turned around and saw a girl was staring at him. He showed no interest engaging with the girl. Mostly because, she's a kid and kid can be a pain in . 

Realising she won't be getting any attention from Eunhyuk, she ran to a grown-up man nearby. Probably her father, Eunhyuk thought. The man lifted the girl and put her on his back and had fun together playing with the sand and splashing water around. Annoyed by the noises, Eunhyuk was ready to get up when the man with the girl in his grip approached him. 

"Hyukjae?". Eunhyuk turned around at the voice and saw his best friend standing with the previous girl on his back. 

"DONGHAE? Is that really you? I'm not mistaken right?". "No you silly! I'm donghae. Wow it's been really long since we met". Donghae put the kid on the ground. "Yea..". There was an awkward silence between them, and they fully depended on the kid to lighten up the mood. Eunhyuk tagged along with Donghae and the girl to have a walk around the area. 

"So Donghae you're married?". Eunhyuk started the conversation as they were walking. "No". "Then whose child is that?", he pointed towards the girl who was walking infront of them. "Donghwa's first daughter,Daeun.". "Donghwa is married?". "Yea", followed by an awkward silence between them again. 

Donghae didn't use the route where Eunhyuk used to use when he went to Donghae's house. Being curious, he asked Donghae about it. 

"We're sending Daeun home. It's late evening and I can't bring a girl out till late". 

Donghae watched Daeun entered her house to make sure she really entered the house safely. After he was sure Daeun safely returned, he asked Eunhyuk whether he wanted to go somewhere since it's been a long time since he came here. "Can we go to your house then? I miss going there", Eunhyuk smiled sheepishly and looked down his feet. Donghae ruffled his hair and invited him to come over.

They walked for 20 minutes and reached Donghae's house. It was the same house as Eunhyuk remembered. The furnitures were still the same as years ago. The feelings of being here were what Eunhyuk had missed. "Where's your parents?", Eunhyuk asked when he couldn't see any sight of livings besides them. "Mom moved with Donghwa and dad passed away". 

Donghae immediately got up to avoid the topic and went to the kitchen to prepare some food and drink for Eunhyuk as he knew how big can Eunhyuk appetite go. Eunhyuk was speechless after receiving the shocking news  from his friend. He couldn't believe that Mr. Lee (Donghae's father) passed away. He noticed a picture on a shelf. He took the picture and held it, it was the three of them, Eunhyuk, Donghae and his father. They were playing at the beach, catching crabs together and at night they will listen to Donghae's dad's bedtime story with snacks prepared by Donghae's mother. Eunhyuk started to tear up, at these lovely and warm memories. 

He approached Donghae who was cutting some vegetables on the chopping board and backhugged him "I'm sorry Hae.... I couldn't be there when your world falls apart.. I'm supposed to be there but..". "Hyukkie.. it doesn't matter anymore kay? I'm not holding any grudge and do you know why I didn't move from this cramped place?", Donghae held Eunhyuk's palm on his belly and turned around to face Eunhyuk, "Because I'll believe you would come back here looking for me". Eunhyuk bursted to tears and covered his face with his hand. Donghae hugged him to calm him, "So...hyukkie.. do you prefer Eunhyuk or Hyukjae?". 

"Hyukjae if it's you".Donghae giggled and tightened his hug. 

~~ 

"Is it delicious?", donghae rested his chin on both of his hand waiting for Eunhyuk's feedback on his cooking. All it takes was some times alone, and they managed to break the awkward wall when they met this evening. 

 "I don't know.. but I'm sure my food at home is better than this". DongHae pouted and pulled away the plate from Eunhyuk, " Then you don't deserve this". 

"Yah! That's mine!" Eunhyuk pulled back the plate and covered the plate using his left arm to protect the food from Donghae and ate it using his right hand. "I thought yours is better?". "Do I have a choice now, Hae?", he sighed with a puffed cheek fulled of food. 

Donghae watched his friend eating his homecooked meal. "Hey hyuk". "This is mine for your information", Eunhyuk being more protective over his meal. "No . I wanted to ask why did you ran away from home?". Eunhyuk stopped eating, "Because I missed you", and continued chewing his food. 

Donghae frowned and looked down and played with the table cloth. You're a bad liar hyukkie, he mumbled.

~~~ 

"Where do you stay?". 

"Around here i think. Sora booked an airbnb for me to stay". 

It's late and Eunhyuk wanted to go back to his airbnb and have some rest after the flight, besides, they have plenty of time tomorrow to hang out. "Want me to walk you there?". Eunhyuk looked at donghae and furrowed, "such a disrespect to my memory. I can remember the path yea?". "But you don't have any money", donghae bluntly pointed at the harsh reality Eunhyuk had been worrying ever since he landed here. Eunhyuk clenched his fists to keep his mouth shut from cursing. 

"I guess it's true then. Come on. I give you a ride there you must be tired". 

Donghae took his motorcycle's keys and started the engine. Eunhyuk hopped at the back of the motorcycle and hugged Donghae's waist to make sure he won't fall later.

The ride didn't take long since Donghae's house was a stone's throw from Eunhyuk's airbnb. Donghae stopped at the front gate of his airbnb and to let  Eunhyuk hop-off from the motorcycle. 

Eunhyuk thanked Donghae for the ride and walked towards the gate of his airbnb. He stopped when he realised Donghae stil didn't move from the spot where he was dropped off, "Why? Want to stop by?", he asked the man on the motorbike. "Umm no.". "Ok then.". 

Silence. 

"Hyukkie... do you wanna go somewhere tomorrow? It will be a new experience for you. I promise". 

"I'm free for these 4 months and I'm willing to go anywhere to kill this boredom". 

"At 8 morning ok?". Eunhyuk nodded and passed his phone number to donghae. "Just in case I didn't wake up. Call me kay?". "Okie dokie", he then started his motorbike and drived away from Eunhyuk's place to his, excitedly waiting for tomorrow to come. 

°°°

Donghae: You up yet?

Eunhyuk : yes. Are you coming here or I'll go there?

Donghae: No.. I'll send you a location and you come there later ok? :) or you need a ride there? 

Eunhyuk : such a disrespect to my feet. 

Donghae: shut up

 

DongHae off his phone to get ready. After brushing his teeth and bathing, he chose a white under-shirt and a pleated red outer-shirt with a black jeans for his outfit today. He brushed and ruffled his hair infront of the mirror to check his appearance before heading out. 

Using his motorcycle, he went to the location where he had sent to Eunhyuk. Checking his watch, he still have some times to set up the place before Eunhyuk arrive. 

He arranged the table and chair and opened every window on the building, checking the fridge display temperature, he made sure the temperature was suitable enough to display some of his handmade pastry and cake. While waiting for the fridge to cool-off, he went to the kitchen to bring out some cakes and pastry for display purposes. 

As he was busy setting up the place, a bell sound came from the front door, telling him, a customer or someone came. He peeped out from the counter and saw Eunhyuk dressed in a white shirt and blue ripped jeans waiting for him at the front door. 

"Holy Lee Hyukjae, why must you trigger my gay mode".

"What's this place donghae?", Eunhyuk scanned at every corner of the place. Donghae chuckled seeing his friend's eyes moved rapidly from left to right to observe his cafe. 

"It's my cafe. Nice isn't it?", Donghae spaned his arms to show Eunhyuk his workplace. 

"You have a cafe?". Eunhyuk screeched and ran to the display fridge, attracted by the strawberry cake there, "can I have this super super pleaseeee?". Eunhyuk jumped excitedly and begged Donghae for the cake, with his best cute face ever. 

Donghae giggled and went behind the counter to cut a slice of the cake for Eunhyuk to taste, adding some icing to suit Eunhyuk's liking, he passed the plate to Eunhyuk and asked him to sit anywhere he wanted. 

"So Donghae do you work here alone?". 

Donghae who was decorating a cake stopped to answer his question since he doesn't want to lose focus and end up ruining the cake. "Yes. Sometimes Donghwa came to help.". 

"Oh...", he continued devouring the cake infront of him. Finished eating, he saw the plate was carved with the cafe name, 'Haru & One Day'. At the same time, Donghae finished decorating too and sat at Eunhyuk's table. 

"So.. Hyukkie, do you want to gain a new experience?". Eunhyuk nodded. "So you know.. rather than wasting time for 4 months, why not you help me here?". Eunhyuk looked at Donghae with a sparkle eyes, "are you sure I can help you hereee???", he squealed in excitement. "Yes and about your wage don't worry I'll pay you every month. So are you agreeing?". 

"YES!. When can I start then?". 

"Umm today maybe?". Donghae got up and grabbed an apron from the counter and gave it to Eunhyuk, "so I'm officially your boss right?". 

I can demand him to strip right now if I'm his boss right?, he smirked. 

°°°

Finished my sec chapter >< I have exam next week until the end of September so I wont be updating much. Sorry if the chapter is kinda slow and I hope yall enjoy it ^^ thank you yeah 👀