Manatee

My own story

 

 

“You’re already staring at those for a week.”
 
 
Yes, a week has already passed after Chaeyoung left. We even spent our new years here, just to find where she is.
At first, we compiled all the information printed, Yeri telling them which part of those Chaeyoung mostly focused when she’s out.


 
5 days ago
“It’s mostly about his life when he became an adult” Jihyo said while she observed different papers.
“Isn’t that when the killing starts?” Yeri asked.
All of us went silent.
“Anyway….. wait.” Jihyo noticed a thumbprint and crease at the side of a certain paper.
“There are even a lot of small holes at the top….” Dahyun pointed out
“She found his warehouse……” Jihyo widened her eyes
“The what?” Tzuyu asked.
“HIS WAREHOUSE! THAT KID!” Jihyo groaned.
“Wha- What? What’s wrong?” Mina asked, panicking at Jihyo’s reaction.
“I have a feeling that she went there by herself.” Jihyo almost crumpled the paper she was holding
“Oh God….”
“We need to find her. FAST!”

 
 
 
 
“No. There’s something in here. Just can’t figure it out.”
“We all know that she found the warehouse, Dahyun, what’s more there than a photocard and some words?”
“She said it’s a hint to where she is……… Just……”
 
Jihyo groaned and left her. “Suit yourself.”
 
Mina then walked inside the room. “Dahyun…… Maybe it’s really just some useless postcard she sent….”
“No. It’s not Mina. I feel like she already sent me something like this.
 
“DAHYUN!” Tzuyu barged into the room. “I figured it out!”
“You figured what out?”
“What those can do!” Tzuyu raised various photos.
“That’s when we did our treasure…” Dahyun widened her eyes. “YOU’RE A FREAKING GENIUS!” Dahyun stood up suddenly.
“What is it?” Mina asked, confused.
“NO WONDER THESE PLACES AREN’T POPULAR. QUICK! THE LAPTOP.”


Mina passed her the laptop.


Tzuyu ran beside her.


“Okay….. Bordj El Haouas, Algeria… 24.7, 7.4! Jot it down!” Dahyun then proceeded on searching for the next one as Tzuyu wrote the numbers.
“Mynriah, Meghalaya 793015, India…………... 25.4, 92!”
“Kontokoro, Nigeria…………. 10.9, 6!”
“Reggane, Algeria………… 25.3, 0.”
“Ooooookay.” Tzuyu wrote the numbers. “Now what?”


Dahyun was stunned for a while then groaned.


 
“You found something?” Yeri peeked in.
“Yeah we did. Just… Don’t know what to do with it.”
Yeri approached.
“You found coordinates?”
“Yeah…… numbers, don’t know what to do with it though..”
Yeri squinted her eyes.
“Wait…….. do you have any library around here? Big one?”
“Yeah… why?”
“When we were at oxford, she went home just to go there… After that she made those photocards….”


Yeri widened her eyes.


“I can add something to it! When I woke up one night, I saw her making words with the aisle, rows, column and the position of the book. I saw her counting and converting it to letters!!”
“Then these words….”
“Might be!”
“Mina! go to the library, decode that thing! That cub is so ing smart I can’t even-”
“Okay okay! I will go!”
 


 

Mina was showing the library through Video call.

 
“THAT ONE!”
“How did you know?” Mina asked through the screen.
“I was counting! Anyway! Take it! The Son of Neptune, Page 247! 74th!”
“The physics thingy! The mochi kaku!”
“you mean, michio kaku?”
“Whatever! Page 254! 92nd!”
“THAT! yes! Mitch Albom, Time keeper…….. Page 109! The 6th.”
“Then the next one is……… I think you have to look at that yourself.”
“what? Why?”
 


Dahyun flipped the postcard and showed it in the screen to have Mina read it.


“Only for Mina….. why?”


 
“Just….. Mina…. Your name…. 13th aisle, 9th row, 14th column, the 1st book.”
“Wait! Before that. What are the words?”
“Warehouse. Problem. Manhattan.”
“Manhattan?”
“Yeah…… in New York?”
“I don’t know…….. I will figure the last letter you recieve, I think there’s something there. Anyway. I think you want to have time by yourself. Bye Mina unnie” Dahyun shut the video call off.
 
“Weird.” Mina mumbled.
 


She took the book from that specific place.


 
“The fault in our stars….. she read it.” Mina smiled, reminiscing the time she recommended this book to her.
 
She opened it. And she gasps, Tears threatening to escape.



 
“What the hell Chaeyoung….” She sobs.
 
The librarian approached her.
 
“You finally came.”
“What?”
“She told me you will come here after she gets rid of some sort of guy.”
“what?”
“Well..” The librarian replaced it with a new book. “She told me that after she settled everything, she will propose to you… Mina? I believe?”
“Yes..” She laughed nervously “That’s me.”
“She even told me her plan. She said the photocards contained 2 important info. I don’t know what is with the warehouse, but she said the photocards have to build “Will you Marry me Mina.” Has she sent all five to you?”
 
Mina gulped. She didn’t interpret the korean words in english so she thought Chaeyoung was messing with her.
 
“Thank you.. I have to go now.”
“Okay… Get your girl Ma'am!”
 
 
Mina returned with a book in her hand. She ignored the concerns of her friends and quickly took the cards.
 
She sobbed even more.
 
She wondered what would happen if she did listen to her that day.
Both of them knew that they’re new to the relationship but they also knew that both of them are ready to spend the rest of  their lives with each other.
 
“Idiot! You should have proposed to me when you’re really here…” She cried
Her friends gathered around her and consoled her.
 
Then Lisa Barged in, panting.
“Guys!!...... She never……. She never…….” she gulped and breath deeply
“She never left korea.”
“SHE WHAT!?” Jihyo turned around
“Her travel history…… She never left.. She’s here.” Lisa panted.
“I thought she’s at manhattan?” Dahyun scratched her head.
“New York?” Tzuyu asked.
“Yeah. Is there any Manha-oh… OH!?” Dahyun sprang from crouching.
“Lisa….. Where is your old house again?
“Mana town… You know. the one with the Manatee. Why?” Lisa then realised what she said.
“That motherer!” Yeri also stood up.
“What are you waiting for! It’s been a week! I don’t even know if she’s still ali- ANYWAY! Lisa! Where is your old house?”