01.

through the years
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

EDITED: 07:10PM, GMT+7.

 

 

 

 

THROUGH
THEYEARS

 

 

 

 

[ 1992 ]

 

 

“Sweetheart, come here, there’s a new neighbor beside our house.” Your mom crouched down to beckon you to walk to her―although a little bit stumbling because you have just learned how to walk―to her, which you happily did. You were giggly and happy when she picked you up to meet the new neighbor who visited you. 

You vividly remembered a boy in his mother’s arms; cheeks chubby, eyes slanted downwards, and his smile was really cute. You remembered reaching out for the boy until your soft little hand landed on his cloudy cheeks. You saw the boy giggle and soon enough, you were placed in your playpen together with the boy. 

After that day, the both of you were inseparable.

 

 

[ 1996 ]

 

 

You were seated on your bike, with your arms looped around your best friend's waist. Today has been one of those days where your mom let you ride the three wheeled bike together with Baekhyun. The evenings are still young, both you and him were too happy to be able to play outside after finishing your homework. 

For a seven year old, playing in the park together with the kids your age have always been a pleasure. You were grateful that you have Baekhyun―and the other kids who live in your neighborhood because they give you a childhood filled with happiness. 

 

 

[ 2002 ] 

 

 

“Sweetheart! You’re going to be late!” You heard your mom shouted from downstairs as you are checking your appearance for the last time in the full body mirror in your room. 

“Wait a bit!” You shout back at her, taking your backpack that doesn't weigh much as you scrambled it downstairs. Tripping on your own two feet as you skipped over two stairs, you were lucky that a pair of arms caught you just in time. 

It was Baekhyun, you learned when you look up only to be greeted by his bright smile. “Careful.” He muttered as he helped you to straighten your body. You giggle at him. 

“Kids, let’s go!” Your dad sounded, beckoning both you and Baekhyun to the car. With a kiss on your mother’s cheeks from both you and Baekhyun, you scramble inside the car to start a new school year with him. 

 

 

[ 2006 ] 

 

 

“Happy birthday, little princess!” Baekhyun shouted right in your ear, attempting to wake you up from your deep slumber. You peeked a little, noticing that the sky was still dark and you groaned. He did it again, his tradition of congratulating you on your birthday at 12am sharp. Soon enough, you could hear the sound of your friends singing happy birthday to you. You couldn’t help but to whine even more, not liking how messy you looked. 

Baekhyun, being Baekhyun, decided to pull you off your bed and hold you near him, not wanting you to fall down and embarrass yourself more. You tried your best to sober up from your sleep, greeted by the sight of your other best friend, Minhee, who was holding a red velvet cake with a candle that said 17. You also noticed the whole gang was here, including your parents.

You made a wish before you blew out your candle, grinning. “Thank you, guys. This means a lot. “You cry baby,” you heard Minhee say, and you giggled at that, giving her the tightest hug (she already put the cake down on your study table). Your friends took turns hugging you, giving you birthday wishes and their present. 

Then it was Baekhyun’s turn, holding your hand and swinging it a little.

“Happiest birthday, my little princess.” He gave you a toothy grin before pulling you into a hug. 

Best sweet seventeenth ever, you thought.

 

 

[ 2010 ] 

 

 

University was rather stressful for you, and you know you are struggling with the many workloads you have been having. Being able to study in your dream school is great, but the fact that you have to be away from your family always managed to distract you and made you upset. 

Your dorm room always feels empty at night, and sometimes, the emptiness is suffocating. 

Reaching out to your phone, you dialed a number you remember by heart. 

“Hey, sweetheart.” Baekhyun’s voice comes from the other line, making your lips tremble. You were silent for a few minutes, then you heard shuffling noises from the other line. 

“I’m coming over, okay? Prepare more pillows for me.” You only nod even though you know that he couldn’t see it. Tears already falling down from your eyes when you heard his car engine.

That night, you fell asleep in Baekhyun’s arms, and you know you’re home. 

 

 

[ 2017 ] 

 

 

“You broke up with Wooseok?” Baekhyun asked, a pout formed on his lips. You and Baekhyun were currently laying down on your bed, watching random TV shows, conversing about everyday life after work. Baekhyun was your best friend, always has been ever since you were in diapers. Him cuddling you like that wasn’t something new, and you felt comfortable. 

People may think the both of you were too close as best friends - thinking that maybe you were secretly dating. But that wasn’t the case; you were comfortable with Baekhyun, you loved him and you relied most on him, but that was all. Baekhyun had seen you at your worst, helped you through so many things and vice versa. The thought of dating or being in a romantic relationship with him never crossed your mind.

At some point in your relationship with Wooseok, he wondered—doubting— your closeness with Baekhyun, even. But he soon realized that nothing can beat your closeness with Baekhyun, and accepted the fact that Baekhyun will always have a special spot in your life. 

“Yeah.” 

“Why aren’t you bothered by it? You were with him for what, six years?” He was wondering, a frown visible on his face. You shrugged at him. 

“It’s not like we are soulmates or anything. It doesn’t matter.” 

“But there are people who won’t get together with their soulmate, at the end of the day. If he wanted to make it work, he will. No?” 

“Baekhyun,” you whined, jabbing your finger to his chest, “stop talking, it’s not like you have yet found your soulmate.” Lifting your left hand up, looking at the faint red string wrapped around your pinky finger, the string looked as if it was connected to someone very close to you. He chuckled breathlessly, nodding. 

“It wasn’t on top of my priority, you know how busy I am with my projects.” 

Growing up, Baekhyun always told you that he wanted to be an architect. To design tall and beautiful buildings. And he worked so hard to be where he was right now, a very successful architect who was hired for big projects. You were proud of him, always. 

“Yeah, yeah, you need to find someone to take care of you. I’m getting sick of you,” you playfully said, grinning at him which earned a roll of his eyes. 

“Says the one who broke up with her boyfriend because she got too busy.”

As Baekhyun was living his dream as an architect, you also lived your dream out to start your own advertising firm. It was still not that big, but it was thriving, and it wasn't easy to be a CEO at such a young age, when the people around you were busy finding partners.

Silence engulfed the both of you after the conversation. You could hear Baekhyun soft happy hums as his eyes were focused on the tv screen. Suddenly, you thought of it - what if you were unable to find your soulmate? Someone whose soul was linked to yours, someone who was yours as long as you lived. Someone that you could share a bright future together with. 

You sighed, closing your eyes and burying your face to Baekhyun’s armpit, trying to forget about it because Baekhyun gave you the kind of comfort that nobody was able to give―not even Wooseok. He played with your hair, combing it slowly with his fingers. 

Baekhyun didn’t need your verbal explanation to understand your thoughts, it was as if he was always able to read your mind. “Don’t worry, sweetheart. You’ll find him, or her, someday.” 

“Someday,” you whispered, closing your eyes as you succumbed to sleep. 

Someday. 

 

 

Present day ― 2019.


#1.

 

 

You stare at the couple in front of you with envy. No matter how much you lie to yourself and to others about you not bothering about the fact that you have not found your soulmate, deep down you really want to—after all, it has been two years since your last relationship—want to know how does it feel to be with someone whose soul linked to yours. It was hard, of course. You keep yourself busy with paperwork, keep yourself busy with anything but the idea of romance. 

The breakup between you and Wooseok did affect you ― after all, the both of you have been together for a long time, expecting that maybe you will get married with him despite the non existent red string that linked the both of you. You thought wrong when Wooseok contacted you a few months after the breakup. He hasn’t been honest with you about the breakup; only saying that he doesn’t think he is able to be with you because you are busy. 

Turns out, he found his soulmate, an accident that he is too ashamed to admit when he decided to end his relationship with you. You had met his soulmate―Jinhyuk―because Wooseok begged for you to meet them together, to explain everything in depth or else he would feel too guilty to be in a relationship with his own soulmate and you don’t want that. 

Wooseok is anything but an , that is how you find yourself forgiving him and still hanging out with him and his new partner. You knew he loved you with all of his heart―but his soul will always love the person he was linked to, and it was a good decision for him to pursue a relationship with his soulmate. 

And now, you are hanging out with the two of them and Minhee. 

“You keep sighing. Is anything up?” ― in the two years you have known Jinhyuk, you grew comfortable with him too. Having to know that his boyfriend is the person you are able to call as best friend too. Sure enough, Jinhyuk is now a part of your close group of friends. 

“I miss Baekhyun.” You whined. Having to not see Baekhyun in two weeks because he is in Jeju, currently finishing a big project there. Wooseok chuckled at that, putting two pieces of pork belly on your plate. “I swear, you’re too attached to him.” He said, smiling as if he understood something you didn’t. 

“I am. He’s basically my other soul!” That does come out in a wrong way, because Minhee frowned at that, nudging your shoulder, skeptic with your words.  “He’s your soulmate, and you didn’t tell us?” 

“No, no. That is not what I meant… he’s just―he has been with me since I am in my diapers so of course he is my other soul.” 

Wooseok and Jinhyuk snorted at that, rolling their eyes at your words. It was known that those who had found their soulmates are able to see other people’s red string; to whom they are connected to. Little did you know, your three best friends (Minhee, that lucky , already found her soulmate in highschool) are hiding something from you. 

Suddenly, your phone vibrated, bringing your attention to it. It was Baekhyun who called. You smiled―it was pretty late, around 9PM and he must have been tired after finishing his project and meeting today. You right away answer the call, missing the mischievous smile on your bestfriends’ face. 

“Hi,” You softly greet him. You can hear shuffling on his part and you wonder where he is. 

“I just finished washing up. You seem busy?” Again, you are taken aback at his ability to answer your question before you asked. 

“Oh. I’m out with Wooseok, Jinhyuk, and Minhee. We’re drinking.” 

“Who will drive you home?” 

“Minhee. She’s pregnant.” 

Minhee suddenly hit your shoulder, whining to you before taking your phone to talk to Baekhyun. 

“Please don’t tell Chanyeol―it’s a surprise!” She was still whining on the phone, you could hear a faint chuckle of Baekhyun. Minhee gave your phone back right after making sure Baekhyun wouldn’t spill it to Chanyeol. 

“Should I talk to you later?” He asks you, you could hear a hint of sleepiness of his voice. Humming to answer him, bidding him bye after. 

“Bye, sweetheart. Let me know when you arrive.” 

Putting your phone down, you are greeted by Jinhyuk who looks at you knowingly, you just shrug. The rest of the night goes with your head being filled with how much you missed Baekhyun. 

 

 

#2

 

 

You are curled up under your blanket, battling with ty period cramps―it was your fault that you have been too tired with your work that your cramps decide for you that you need to rest by giving you a very hurtful experience. Usually, you have Baekhyun to cuddle you and rub your belly, but he’s still in Jeju, only due to go home in two days. You groaned, somehow wishing that you have a soulmate to be here with you to tend to your cramps. 

You were sleeping when you could hear someone opening the front door of your apartment―and shuffling. You don’t care, having to know that there are only three people aside from you to know your passcode. Maybe it is Minhee deciding to save you as you remembered whining to your group chat about your unbearable stomach cramps. 

Turns out it was not Minhee―her scent isn’t as masculine as this. You recognize the perfume to be Baekhyun’s, and your eyes shot out right away at the realization that Baekhyun is here. He chuckles at your bewildered state, stripping his work clothes off and only in his boxer—he knows you’ll still be fussy because you hate it when someone lays down on your bed with their dirty clothes—before he gets under the duvet to pull you close to him. It was the usual, him and you sleeping in the same bed with him clad in nothing but his boxers―growing up, you did take baths with him and you have seen his . It was never a big deal, you trust him and he trusts you. 

“Why are you here?” You tried to say, voice coming out very hoarse having to not speak for the entire day.

“My project finished early. I was about to surprise you but came to find out, the damsel in distress is having her period.” He chuckles at his own words, rubbing soothing circles on your spine. He always knew how to ease your pain. 

You mumbled an mmkay, making yourself comfortable in his hold. “My stomach hurts.” 

“Turn around, I’ll rub it.” 

And you find yourself in a spooning position with his palm rubbing on your aching stomach, humming to random tones. Soon enough, sleep greets the both of you. 

 

 

#3

 

 

“Can you believe Minhee is already pregnant?” 

Both you and Baekhyun are having dinner on your bed―usually you hate bringing food to your room but your disability to get up because of the cramps lets you. 

“Yeah, it has only been a month or so since he and Chanyeol got married. They must be going at it like rabbits.”

You grunted at his words, not liking the idea of knowing your two friends having . Even after years of Minhee and Chanyeol being together, you could never be comfortable with it, anyways. It’s just weird to know that your closest friends are having a very healthy life. 

“Maybe that is how it is when you have found your soulmate, you know.” You said, focusing on the TV that is currently playing your favorite Disney movie; Sleeping Beauty. 

Baekhyun only hums. 

Dinner goes on comfortably, with you snuggled up in Baekhyun’s arms and him serenading you playfully whenever a song comes up. By now, both you and him have already memorized the lyrics of each song. 

Once the movie ends, you find yourself being forced to shower, he claimed that you stink and you only pinch the fats on his tummy. Yet, instead of shower, Baekhyun prepares you for a bath. Helping you to seat yourself in the bathtub.

He usually accompanies you in the bathtub, but today you insist him to not. Though, he sits himself on the toilet bowl, rambling about his project in Jeju.

“You really always steal my shirt.” Baekhyun said when he pulled a worn out shirt of his in your pyjamas section of the closet after you finished with your bath. You only roll your eyes at that. 

#4

“Do you ever want to find your soulmate, Baekhyun?” 

You were on a car ride with Baekhyun to have dinner with your complete group of friends to celebrate Sehun who had just come home from his success walk in Paris Fashion Week. 

“I do. But it was never in my priority. You know that.”

“Why?” 

He just shrugs at you. “What is the purpose of having a soulmate when I have you, after all, you are like my other soul. We could get married if we end up not finding ours.” 

You gagged at the mention of getting married to him. Though the idea of it sounds cool, after all you have known him all of your life and your closeness with him could never be traded with anyone. Probably not even with your soulmate―if you ever find one. 

“You want to? Getting married to me, I mean.”

“Why not? It would be easier since we already rely on each other so much. Save us the bull of wooing our soulmate.” 

You keep your mouth shut, your brain running through the possibility of having Baekhyun as your romantic partner for the rest of your life, and honestly, it didn’t sound bad. Instead, it sounds amazing. Baekhyun knows you inside and out, never once he missed a day of not being in your life ever since the first time you met him in your diapers. You smile at the thought of having Baekhyun in your life, wholly.

“Yeah. I thought the same too.”

“Let’s get married, then.” His question sounds so nonchalant, you almost thought he was joking but he’s not, you would know if he is joking. 

“Huh.”

“We’re in our thirties, we also have a stable job, and as what I have said, you are half of my soul even though there are no red strings connecting us together. I don’t see why not.”

“Yeah. Let’s get married. Propose to me rightly first, though.” 

“Should I sing you Once Upon A Dream and get on my knees? Or should we roleplay with you as Aurora and me as Prince Phillip, giving you a true love’s kiss?”

“You’re silly, Baekhyun.”

“You love that about me, sweetheart.” 

That, you do. 

 

 

#5

 

 

“Where are we going?” You grumbled at him when he woke you up around 3am in the morning on a Saturday. He just chuckles at you as he leads you to his car, you notice there is a picnic basket on the backseat, making you wonder. 

It has been a month since Baekhyun and you had the talk of getting married together―both of you have been busy with work. 

“Just go to sleep, sweetheart, I’ll drive safe, you know I do.” You just hum, making yourself comfortable on the passenger seat, your face is facing him. It was cold, the AC of his Audi is directed right to your face and you groaned, tucking on his leather jacket he decided to wear and he got your message, taking it off to place it on top of you as a blanket. 

“Sleep.” He said, caressing your hair. 

You can feel Baekhyun fingers playing with the strand of your hair, making you wake up. The first thing you noticed is how the sky is colored with pastel hues of orange - indicating that the sun is going to rise soon. You only hummed , sitting down in your groggy state to smile at him. 

“We’re here, come quick before we miss the sunrise.” 

Growing up together with Baekhyun, you appreciate the sight of the sunrise as it is his favorite part of the day. You realized he brought you to a beach, where the sunrise will look even prettier. Holding his hand as sleepiness is still inside of you, walking side by side with no words exchanged. Just enjoying the quietness together. 

The two of you are standing with him behind you with his arms wrapped around your body, just looking at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter