Chapter 8 - Paprika Special

4D (Book 2): Book of Love

3rd Person’s POV

[New York City…August 29, 2030]

The 4D girls are currently separated to film their duo-special episode. Right now is their month-anniversary, so they split up by their bestfriends to spend the day. Jeril with Anika, and Lei with Erika. The older girl is currently holding her hands as they walk past the crowd.

Erika had taken her to the Semptember 11 Memorial, which is a memorial constructed in honor to those who were killed in the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in New York.

“I’ve toured us to famous places with happiness, but I wanted to show you a different side of NYC.” Erika said. “The names of those who died are engraved in these bronze panels of the pools that mark the footprints of the Twin Towers that once stood in this very site…”

“That’s hauntingly beautiful, sad but honorable at the same time.” Lei commented as she lay a hand on the bronze panels of the Memorial’s pool. “Rest in peace.” she whispered.

“You know, I love you but I love that thing the most about you.”

“Uhm, which one do you mean?” Lei asked in confusion.

“You have a big warm heart, don’t change that.”

“O-Oh…” Lei blushed. Damn, Ked unnie!

After taking a few pictures for remembrance, they move on to the next place that Erika had in mind; Grand Central Terminal. They’ll ride a train to observe the city through from above.

“This terminal has been dubbed the ‘world’s loveliest station’ because of it’s impressive clock made of pearly opal glass and the astronomical ceiling decorations created in 1912.”

“You know a lot about tourist spots, how many have you taken in this places?” Lei teased.

“They teach this at NYU, so I assure you, you’re the only one I’ve taken in this places.”

Lei blushed and playfully pushed Erika to the counter to get their tickets. They rode the train and it was a bit crowded so they were both left standing, with Lei leaning in the doors and Erika facing her. Both of them couldn’t look at each other because it was lowkey awkward.

But fate had an idea to make it more awkward as it suddenly pulled a stop, making Erika lunged forward and accidentally trapped Lei in her position. Now this is highkey awkward.

“I’m so sorry.” Erika apologized, blushing hard, as she pulled away from Lei’s side.

“N-No, no. It’s okay. It wasn’t your fault, anyways.” Lei awkwardly chuckled.

They were surrounded by an awkward silence and both of them had a feeling that the old lady sitting next to them noticed it as she look at Erika and Lei back and forth before giggling.

“You two looks like my husband and I when we were younger.” the old lady stated.

“Uhm…thank you.” Erika answered, still blushing but had composed herself.

“You two will love each other until you grow old, just like us two.”

Both of them blushed hard again, with Lei blushing harder. This old lady isn’t making things less awkward, she’s just adding fuel to the fire. Luckily, her stop had came so she went out. But not after wishing Erika and Lei A healty relationship and a happy wedding soon.’

After their train ride, they walked on the famous High Line to get to their next destination. While walking, they talked about random topics until Erika remembered a High Line fact.

“You know, every month there are new fun and diverse activities for visitors here like star-gazing, tree hours and arts tours along with season specic events. Which is why it’s one of my favorite places in New York, it calms me down when I walk along this path.”

“Well, after that train ride, I think both of us deserve to calm down.” Lei offhandedly joked, with a deeper meaning that she realized late. Luckily, Erika just chuckled and didn’t replied.

After the High Line, they arrived at the Rockafeller Center. It was shining with lights as the sun had already set after their train ride. It looked wonderful, Lei couldn’t stop taking pics.

“Any fun facts about this place, Ms. New York?” yet she managed to tease the older girl.

“Rockafeller Center is a complex of 19 buildings built by the Rockafeller family which offers a behind-the-scenes look at some of New York City’s greatest treasure.” Erika stated easily.

“You really are Ms. New York, aren’t you?”

“Well, wanna be Mrs. New York?”

It was only a joke but Lei can’t help but blush. Once again, she was speechless so she just shook her head and continued taking pictures. Erika laugh out before taking pictures too.

“Wanna buy some souvenirs?”

“We’ve already bought enough, though.”

“You say that but you’re already dragging me away.”

They ended up buying more souvenirs in addition to the things they had bought for the past days they’ve been staying in New York. It’s only a few more days before they leave, because they were only staying there for a month, so Erika wanted to make more memories with Lei.

“Where are we going next?”

“To the place you love the most in New York.”

Erika offered her hand to Lei and the girl took it without hesitation. The two of them walked until they arrived at the Central Park, which is indeed Lei’s favorite place in New York. She’s been inlove in this place since day one because of how it complimented the sleepless city.

“So, did you enjoy the episode today?”

“I did. But then again, I always enjoy being with you.”

“Yeah, I feel the same. That’s why it was hard when you ignored me.”

Lei looked around in panic and realized that the cameras and staff were gone the moment they had reached the Central Park, Erika already told them about it in advance earlier before the episode started so she and Lei will have a moment to themselves before going back.

“I’m so sorry about that, I just…can’t help myself.”

“It’s fine, you don’t need to apologize more.”

“But I…do need to confess something.”

The noises around them were gone, and it wasn’t because Central Park complimented New York, but because all Lei could hear is the loud beat of her heart as she gathered courage.

==========================================================================