Chapter 19 - Chase's Confession

4D (Book 2): Book of Love

 

“The declaration of love marks the transition from chance to destiny, and that's why it is so perilous and so burdened with a kind of horrifying stage fright.” – Alain Badiou

 

3rd Person’s POV

[Sae Young Dormitories’ Cafeteria…October 7, 2030]

“Anika, I have something to confess to you.” Jeril had only felt this nervous once, when her father came to take her back home. She didn’t feel this nervous when facing any gangsters.

“Nothing you’ll say could ever change anything, Chase. You don’t need to be afraid.”

“Don’t say that, I know it’ll change everything. I tend to do ruin things.”

“Try me.” Anika challenged. “I’ll stay here until the end.”

Jeril’s courage returned at Anika’s assurance. She let out a smile when the vocalist reached out her hand to gently put it on top of the dancer’s shaking hands that’s clasped together.

“Until the end?”

“Until the end.”

“Okay.” Jeril nodded and took a deep breath. This is it. “I just want you to know that all I’ll say is that truth, this is not a prank nor a dare. This is my real feelings, genuine feelings.”

Anika chuckled, thinking that Jeril was too cute to say that even though she already knows that the older girl will believe whatever she says. That’s how much Anika puts trust on Jeril.

“I went to my brother.” she started. “I needed his advice because I feel like I was being a coward and only a Jeon could make me come to my senses, and he did. But not because he’s my brother, he helped because he was…connected to you.” Anika look confused…

“I was scared of confessing something to you, I was scared of my feelings for you, I…didn’t mean for it to be like this. It…just happened. Like how the moon revolves around the earth, and then suddenly you became my world--DAMN, that was cheesy. Leader influenced me.”

“Anyways, what I’m trying to say is…” Jeril took a deep breath as she tighten the hold in Anika’s hand. “…I’m inlove with you, I think I’ve always been. Somewhere deep inside me, there’s always been a space reserve just for you. A privilege only you have in me so…yeah.”

Jeril is indeed proven to be a lead rapper, with the way she say those words, it took Anika a while before her eyes widened at the implication of Jeril’s confession. It…look like a bad sign.

But Anika didn’t pull her hands away, and hope bloomed in Jeril’s heart. Maybe…just maybe, Anika might feel the same way. Maybe there’s a chance that she’s only been waiting for her.

“Jeril, I…” Jeril? Not…Chase? “Look, Chase…” Anika took a deep breath, she’s the one who look nervous this time. “I like you…a lot. I love you, more than words could explain. But…”

“But…what?” Jeril asked confusedly as she slowly pull away from Anika. “I’m not making you choose, Anika. You don’t have to say anything, I just want you to know about my feelings.”

“I want you to know what I feel too.” Anika retorted softly. “I accept your feelings, I’m actually really happy right now because I’ve also known you’re someone special to me.”

“But you can’t act upon your feelings?”

“Will you please let me finish?”

“I can’t. I’m…scared.”

“Chase…” Anika reached out her hand but Jeril move away, causing both their hearts to break because this isn’t how it’s supposed to be. This is not what Jeril had in mind… “Just…”

“I’ve already confessed to you, that’s all I want you to know.” she mumbled as she hastily stood up from her seat. “I won’t force you to do anything, just…keep your feelings inside.”

“Sit down and let me explain.”

“There’s no need for an explanation, it’s simple….you can’t.”

“There’s more than that, Jeril. If you just take a seat and let me explain what I needed to…”

“Like I said…I’m scared. I may be a Jeon, who’s tough and heartless, but you know that it’s a different story when it comes to you. I’m a coward, so I’m gonna run away. I have to go.”

“Wait, Chase!”

“Take care, Anika.”

Jeril ran out of the cafeteria before Anika could stood up from her seat, she let out a deep sigh and contacted Erika and Lei to make sure they would inform her about Jeril when the girl comes home. The two asked her questions but she’s not in the mood to answer those.

“In the end…she’s the one who left…”

=====================================================================