Chaeyeol 40-12

Flotilla
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rosé was hauled out of the truck and dumped. When her head connected with the hard ground, she saw stars. Again. Where was she? With her eyes open she could see a large warehouse, plank floor and shadows. Plenty of shadows. She let her eyes drift closed as the voices continued around her. 

 

“We need to check in.” 

 

“I just texted them.” 

 

“Should call them instead.” 

 

“Then call them.” Short disinterested. She wondered at their relationship. More business than friends. Comrades maybe. United by a cause. Blow up the Banpo Bridge. Just the thought of what the people in Seoul could face in the next few days horrified her. There had to be hundreds of people on that bridge at any one time. Closer to thousands in rush hour. 

 

Why would terrorists choose that target? 

 

Why would they think it would make a difference? Except to make everyone hate terrorists that much more. Who won in a scenario like this? Acts of terrorisms only   hate, fear and increased violence. 

 

No one won. Worse, the losers counted in the thousands. Loss of innocence. Fear of what had once been normal. Of what had been comfortable. 

 

She felt sorry for the people in the city. No one understood the dangers lurking under the surface of their seemingly easy, fun lives. It wasn’t something anyone could dwell on. It was too horrible. Better to focus on the good things and let the rest go. There was too much to worry about so better to turn your back on the worry and do your best to live as well as possible. 

 

At least that was as far as she could figure out for herself. She needed to find a level of peace with the darkness lurking outside her world. 

 

Now in her world. 

 

If she survived, she knew the world wouldn’t be the same. How could it be? No one returned to the place they were before a horrific event. It wasn’t like they could wipe it all away. As much as they might want to, they couldn’t. They were forever changed by the new circumstances in their life. Just like she would be. 

 

She’d never looked at a big black pickup like this one and not wonder if that driver was the same one who’d kidnapped her. Would she ever drive over the Banpo Bridge without being terrified of it blowing up beneath her wheels? And caves…… She’d had a hard time going into those damn depths before, although she’d done her best to keep it to herself. What was she going to do now? She’d have to force herself back inside. 

 

She couldn’t let other people suffer because of her failures.

“Should have dumped her in the caves.” 

 

“Might still.” 

 

She closed her eyes, a shudder running down her spine. Buried alive in a cave system that went on forever. God… what a horrible death. Not easy and it sure as hell wouldn’t be quick. 

 

“Right.” 

 

“The prick is on the way.” 

 

She froze. Who was that? And why? 

 

“Good. He can get rid of her. She’s a liability.” 

 

“Maybe. It’s what it is.” 

 

“Stupid is what it is,” but the voice was fading, the footsteps carrying him further away. 

 

She wanted to roll over and ease the pain in her shoulders, but there wasn’t any direction to roll. She was beside a stack of packs. Army green and stuffed with God only knew what. Her gaze landed on the knife in the back of the packs. Could she reach it? Could she use it? Without being seen? 

 

She shifted into a sitting positions so she was leaning back against the bags. She couldn’t feel the knife edge against her waist. In her mind, she reoriented herself with the layout of the bag so she could shift as needed. She’d only get one chance. 

 

Wiggling her backwards until she came up against the packs, her fingers frantically searched for the knife behind her. 

 

Finally her fingers touched something cold. She slipped the pocketknife out of the pack. 

 

“What the hell do we have here?” 

 

The voice stood in front of her. She froze. She’d been so focused on getting the knife, she hadn’t heard him approach. 

 

Her arm was roughly grabbed and she was lifted to her feet. Feet that could barely hold her. In fact as soon as she put her weight on them, she sagged in place. 

 

 

But her fingers still held the pocketknife. In the confusion of trying to stand, she managed to get the knife into her back pocket. Success. The same man who’d attacked her and shoved her into the truck dragged her to the far side of the warehouse. She tried to look around, but all she could see were boxes and crates. Off to the left, there were several tables full of tools. In the center was a large pallet with huge jugs of liquid, but she had no idea what they were or what they could be used for. 

 

“Interested?” He laughed. “No worr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter