Chaeyeol 35-7

Flotilla
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She couldn’t help the panic firing her feet forward. The men were on their heels, they had to have noticed she’d escaped and it wasn’t like their path was hidden. She knew they’d scuffed up the ground dragging her father out of there. 

 

She peered through the trees. How far was five hundred yards? Had she passed that part? Surely he’d have said something. For the tenth time in half that many seconds she turned to glance at Chanyeol’s progress. And marveled. He was running light on his feet, her father across his shoulders. He easily kept pace with her even as he studied the woods around them. He was looking for the best place to go down. 

 

Good, she was ready to get off this ridge. She didn’t like heights. She’d leave that part to him. 

 

She moved forward as fast as she could and as quietly as she could. She’d bolted initially then figured she should stop sounding like an elephant on the rampage as she moved through the trees. If they followed, then they followed, but let it not be because she couldn’t stay light enough on her feet. 

 

“Turn up ahead at the fallen tree.” 

 

She didn’t turn back. She stared at the largest deadfall tree she’d ever seen. 

 

Turning toward it, she felt her feet shoot out from under her. She managed to muffle her shriek but couldn’t stay upright. She fell on her and did a fast downward slide. 

 

At least she got to sit down. At the bottom she picked herself up and hid behind a tree. Then took a moment to clean off her clothes. 

 

“Ready?” Chanyeol was already at her side, showing no signs of having fallen or needing a rest. He’d made it down that cliff without any visible stress. She, on the other hand, looked like she’d been pulled through the mud. 

 

He waited until she straightened then said, with exaggerated calm, “If you’re ready.” 

 

She admired his calm attitude and cool control. Whereas she was ready to scream and rampage at this point. She moved ahead of him and led the way. They shouldn’t be far from the main road. If they could get onto that… they could get help. 

 

But he said he had a Jeep. If that was available, they could get the hell away from here and contact the authorities. And her dad could get to the hospital. Not that he’d like her decision. He hated the damn places. She couldn’t really blame him. God help the nurses when he woke up. 

 

She came to a stop. Where was the Jeep? She spun round to glare at Chanyeol. But he pointed in the same direction as they’d been travelling. She kept up the brutal pace. Her body was saying it needed rest. And water. She’d used up one bottle of water spelunking and had left the rest in her truck. Too bad. She could really use some. This was hot work. 

 

Looking back at him, still carrying her father, he walked on the forest floor, but he appeared to do so soundlessly. She understood the silence part but not the depth of his silence. It was fascinating. How could he walk on the dry underbrush and not make a sound? 

 

“Take a left.” His low deep voice startled her out of her reverie. Instinctively she followed his orders. She made her way around a bend, through a dip, then back up again. 

 

“Left again.” 

 

Cutting a hard left, she came around a thick stand of brush and stopped. His black Jeep was parked in front of her. She started to shake with relief. Stupid really, they were a long way away from being safe. 

 

She ran forward and tried to open the passenger door and realized of course it was locked. She raced back to Chanyeol, but he was already around the corner. He shifted her father’s weight and dug the keys out of his pocket. He pushed the unlock button and she heard the locks disengage. She opened the door and hovered as he lowered her father to the back seat. He struggled with the straps for a long moment then had him buckled in. She saw what he’d done and raced to the other side to repeat it. Coming back around, she hopped into the front seat. 

 

Chanyeol took his place behind the wheel and with a quick glance around, fired up the engine. Her panic rose as she heard the roar of the engine. They were going to be seen. Caught. 

 

They had to hurry, but Chanyeol was moving slowly, carefully as he backed out of the hiding spot. Then he was down the driveway and turning onto the main road. He stopped. 

 

“Go, go,” she cried. “We’re almost safe.” 

 

A big badass looking truck roared toward them. And came to a braking stop beside them. With windows rolled down, she realized it was a friend of Chanyeol. And good Lord what a friend. Huge, filling the cab and making the truck look just the perfect size for him. His face was hard. Lean. And damn cold. 

 

A second man, smaller, leaner, sat in the shadows on the far side. She couldn’t make out his features. 

 

The conversation was curt and short. Then Chanyeol raced forward. She spun to see if his friend was following. But he turned into the driveway and hopped out. 

 

“Didn’t you warn them?” Chanyeol looked at her in surprise. “About what?” 

 

“The gunmen? The weapons’ cache. That they hurt my father. Tried to kidnap me.” She couldn’t help herself. Her voice rose to a yell at the end. 

 

“Oh that. They know.” 

 

Silence. 

 

“So why are they getting out. We need to get help.” 

 

“Honey,” he drawled, a smile on his face confusing her all the more. “They are the best damn help you’ll ever get. They are part of my team.” 

 

She sat back. “They are SEALs?” 

 

He nodded. 

 

She swallowed. “But…” 

 

“They know what they are heading into. I’ll be going back as soon as I get your father to safety and you to the police.” 

 

snapped shut. “I’m staying at the hospital. The sheriff can go there.” 

 

She felt his glance but stared mutely outside. 

 

“You don’t like the sheriff?” 

 

“I don’t know him,” she said stiffly. “But it’s not like they have anything to do with us.” 

 

“Maybe they haven’t been around because there hasn’t been any reason to be around.” 

 

“True.” 

 

“What aren’t you telling me?” 

 

“Nothing specific. I just don’t like him.” 

 

He nodded and stayed quiet. Good. She really didn’t want to explain the entire town’s vantage point of the local law enforcement. He was right in that there was no need to have the law any closer and in fact, she was damn glad there wasn’t as then she’d have to see them more often. She had no idea w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter