To The Moon & Back (JinJoo)

Little Thoughts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

—————————————————————





“Willingly, I’ll take you to the moon, and back.”





—————————————————————




Another usual Monday morning.

The sun blares onto her eyes forcing her to wake up.

“Ughhhh” she whines.

 

She got into the toilet brushing her teeth and washing her face.

Kicking off her jeans, she took a new one and put on her dark blue Tupac hoodie.

 

She took the toner bottle and poured a little on the cotton pad. Finished tapping her face with the liquid, she took a moisturiser and applied it to her face.

‘Red? Or pink? Or wine?’ she thought to herself.

‘Red it is. Monday kinda needs fierce spirit’ and so she applied the red lip tint, concealing it with another layer of darker red lipstick.

 

She fixes her hair and puts on her AirPods.

‘Good luck at the hole Minjoo’ she chanted some encouraging words.

‘You’ll stay alive through that boring Math class!’

 

She put on her favourite high cut black coloured Chuck Taylor. Her jeans fits her perfectly matching unanimously with her shoes.

‘This is good’

 

Going downstairs she took a piece of bread and chugged the coffee her mum had left in a cup.

Putting it into the dishwater and walked out the door after making sure she locked it twice.

 

She saw a few kids from her school. In which she just assumes they are because that’s the closest school in the neighbourhood.

One of them put up his hand. Greeting her in such early morning.

It’s her lab mate. So she fixed him a smile too.

‘He’s a nice guy, he deserve a smile’

 

Minjoo kicked a small rock on her path. 

“Oii not surfing today?” her neighbour yelled from his porch. 

James, one year older than her. Handsome. Rumor has it that he’s quite a smart guy. 

But truth lay it, he’s a boy. 

And he would surely want to get in Minjoo’s pants.

 

Minjoo smiled at him, fakely “Not feeling so. Am using God’s gift today” she jerked one leg into the air.

As she saw James getting down his porch, she quickened her steps. When the boy turned around, Minjoo was gone. ‘Demm! Again?’ he slammed his hand onto his car door. 

 

He can just chase the girl down but kids usually use a shortcut to the school. Down at the corner of the block, if you take a left turn walking past a few houses and turn slightly to the right, a small alley will be in sight in between Mr Duncan’s and Oggy’s house, there is a gap fit enough for two bikes to get through at same time.

It cut the walking distance. Going by car? You would take almost extra 5 minutes due to the one way road and traffic.

 

It was not in Minjoo’s planning to walk today. In fact she would much like it to skate. 

 

But with her mother constantly cursing the board, she sure doesn't want another scar on her chin.

 

“Do you know that skating is dangerous? Of course you know, but you won’t listen. Well maybe you will once you fall off that skating board”

 

Well, first thing mum, it’s called a skateboard.

Second thing mum, thank you for cursing me to fall off my skateboard.

 

Minjoo had her jeans ripped at the knees when she fell. Being too focused on her phone she misses a small bump on the pavement. Sending her kissing the ground.

‘Oh yes, I love this earth’



The school days are going as usual as it always has been.

Hanging out with her friends Nako, Yuri and Hitomi, doing lab reports at the library (maybe), copying Nako’s homework(she secretly believes Nako is a genius) and hanging out at the karaoke with Yuri every Friday night.

Not because she wants to, but because she has to. Yuri will drag her anyway.

 

Being home alone is boring anyway. Her mum will be on call and her dad? Another business trip overseas~ (probably having fun with his young girlfriendS)

They will meet once a month at least. If one of them didn’t suddenly have “something” to do.

They’re basically living on borrowed family titles.

Anything that can make them look like a happy family.

 

Her parents don't even know she almost failed her Chemistry paper twice. 

It’s okay, she just made it up with her teacher. Mrs Yeon likes her anyway.

 

Another weekend comes. And so, another party to be attended.

Planning out her life, she wasn’t supposed to be here but being home is boring. So she would rather be in these four walls trapped with some kids trying to get laid and break the booze record. 

 

Minjoo is just here to let off some steam and exactly an hour before her mum’s home, she crawled back to her bed.

Of course, she has keys. But climbing into her own room seems dope. Ain’t that the youth spirit? Doing dumb things. Doing things that will give you great stories to tell when you get older.



Everything was going as boring as it could be.

Minjoo hung her legs on the couch. Scrolling Tumblr and posting some cute snapchats.

 

Her homework is all done. Thanks to Nako angelic heart posting all her answers on their iMessage group.

‘You es better finish this before we rock the party tomorrow!’

Nako sent with a Boom! effect.

‘Thank you for your service’ Yuri replied.

 

It will be Nako's boyfriend's birthday party tomorrow. As midget as anyone thinks Nako is, she landed herself a hot popular boyfriend.

Albeit he’s a bit weird, they compliment each other’s well.

Nako a top scorer and Miku a top joker.

They’re the protagonists of your typical teenage romantic movies.



The party was lit. Literally lit.

There’s a bonfire in the backyard of Miku’s house.

Perks of being rich. You got a big excess land you can call a backyard. (It probably can fit Minjoo’s entire house!)

 

Nako and Miku were making out explicitly beside the fire after Miku’s friends were teasing him for not being brave and kissing his girl in front of the whole school.

 

Miku may seem like a douche, but he has manners higher than anyone. That PDA was allowed by Nako. So Miku maintained his mannerism still.

 

Minjoo totally approved of him with Nako. But if he ever breaks Nako’s heart, ‘You will be left with half a Miku!’ .

 

Minjoo hit it off with a couple of cute guys. Exchanging numbers and dancing with each other.

She almost kissed one of the cute guys in school when she realised, she just got driven by the booze.

 

Minjoo is not your regular girl.

If you want a one night stand with her, better pay the devil.

 

Her last boyfriend was a popular senior in her school. 

A jock, of course. Minjoo is famous, why would she land on someone lower on the school hierarchy?

 

Sasuke was a good guy. Hot, charming, funny, brilliant, rich, big doe eyes and ears. Only thing is, he was offered to study overseas.

 

And nope, Minjoo is not feeling the long distance love. She needed attention 18 hours per day. (Another 6 is for sleeping)

 

So they broke it off.

Heard he found someone new. Madison something her name is. Good for him.

 

After almost an hour of fake laughing and artificial smile, Minjoo went  home. Not feeling the party vibe. Still a bit hungry, she ordered pizza. It took only almost 20 minutes.

‘It’s quick today. Usually it took 30 minutes’

 

“It’s $15.25,” the delivery girl (she assumed by her face and hair) said.

Minjoo shoved her 20.

The delivery girl ran through her pocket and rubbed her head, or specifically her hat, “Ermm sorry but do you have a smaller amount? I don’t have enough change”

Minjoo shakes her head. After minutes of watching the girl running through her pockets AGAIN, Minjoo grew annoyed and just wanted to eat actually.

“Just keep the change. You look like you need new shoes anyway” Minjoo closed the door not waiting for the girl.

“Urmmm...” the pizza girl rubbed her head.

“Umm THANK YOU FOR THE TIP!” she shouted from the outside.

‘Yehawww extra cash today!’

 

‘Yabai this pizza is good’ Minjoo squirmed after the first bite. Shet, she said Yabaii. It’s Sasuke’s favourite word. 

“Urghhhh” she gulped down the Pepsi furiously. Almost spilling some on her shirt. She accidentally burped while looking for the tissue. 

“God” she yelped as she felt the soda up her nose. It felt like her nose about to burst.

 

She spent her night looking at the old pictures of her and Sasuke instead of watching Atypical.



**********



“Heyy You” Minjoo felt a tap on her shoulder.

She snickered and turned around “What???”

“Ouh it's me. Pizza girl. Last weekend  Urm I wanna say thank you for the tips. Yeah turns out I really do need new shoes. Your tip just suffices my savings. Urm thank you. Oh I’m Yujin by the way. In case you wanna know my name” she grinned. Her eye smile is quite cute, undoubtedly. But Minjoo is not in the mood.

 

“Yeah yeah whatever” she walked away, rolling her eyes.

“That’s kinda rude”, Minjoo heard the pizza girl say.

“What did you just say?” Minjoo turned her back to face Yusin whatever the name pizza girl is.

“I said, 'That's kinda rude’ ” the pizza girl said, staring straight into her eyes.

“Well I’m sorry if it appears rude. But it’s not my responsibility to please others. Especially someone who I didn’t know”, Minjoo snickered. Why can’t people just leave her alone?

“Yes it’s not your responsibility, but it’s civil to be polite”, the pizza girl shrugged.

“I don’t need you to tell me what to do”, and off, Minjoo walks away. 

 

Dejected, Yujin stares at her back “You know what, you are pretty but you’re a !”

“Yeah noted, whatever, ugly” Minjoo swatted her hands at the pizza girl. She didn’t mean to say that but she just..annoyed. Could it be a good excuse though? Whatever, she needs to get to her class quickly before Mrs Bae gets in.



Yujin was kind of disappointed Minjoo had not remembered her. They were at kindergarten together though. And she even gave Minjoo some cute notes. 

‘Yish! Must have a memory of a teaspoon!’, Yujin puckered her lips and entered her class.





Minjoo had forgotten the pizza girl throughout her whole day at the school. Not that she saw her during the break anyway. But walking back home, she noticed that pizza girl following her. She stopped and turned around, “Why are you always following me?”

 

Yujin looked up, “I’m not! My home is this way. I’m sure you will notice that I always walked here if you aren’t too stuck up being a ”, Yujin rolled her eyes.

 

“Okay now that’s rude and I’m sure I never seen you here before”

“Oh look who’s talking about manners now”

 

Slightly annoyed, Minjoo fixes her bag strap. “You know, not everything revolves around you. Mind your own business”

 

Yujin shrugs “You look like you need friends”

“Do I look like I need one? If I do, it’s certainly not you”

“Why not me? You look like you need a dose of me. You know, to teach you some manners”

 

“I already have my own pack. You can mind yours”, said Minjoo.

 

The pizza girl remained silent and walked behind Minjoo. Despite the discomforts, she kept on walking and was heavily thinking of a way to get off the hook with this pizza creep.



“Are you gay?”, the voice behind her suddenly asked.

“Do I look like I’m into some rainbow ?”, seriously this girl is boiling her blood. Minjoo needs to teach her some lessons.

“You have a unicorn patch,” Yujin pointed to Minjoo’s bag.

“Oh” Good eyes

 

Just as Yujin was about to start another conversation, someone from the basketball team called Yujin out, “Heyyy you’re the kid with no dad!”

“You have no dad?” Minjoo looked at her, brows furrowed.

Yujin didn’t have the chance to answer as the boy continued “Oh wait, you have two mums. Oh! Your parents are lesbians! Maybe your mum needs some good to be straight!” the other boys behind the loud mouth were laughing. Only, it was not funny at all.

 

Yujin scoffed “Well I should say that to your girlfriend” Yujin knew that the loud mouth had just recently broken up with his girlfriend. Who happened to be in Yujin’s volleyball team.

The boys were rendered speechless.

“Auch!” Minjoo snickered. ‘This girl have quite a strong comeback’

 

Minjoo cleared , she wanted to ask but think they’re not close enough. So she let it slide. After all, she just had bad moments with the girl.

 

“Dyke” mumbles one of the boys.

Yujin stopped her walk and shout, “What the did you just say?”

“I said… DYKE”

Yujin cracked her neck and pulled her sleeves back, “Hey motherer tiny wieny that could last no longer than a minute, we can settle this in soft way or hard way”

“What soft way? Your ? Oh wait you have none” the rest of the boys collectively laughed as he said so.

Minjoo was pulling Yujin’s bag, trying to stop her from causing trouble.

“Motherer, soft way I tell you to shut up. Hard way is, YOU telling YOUR FATHER TO STOP FLIRTING WITH MY MOTHER! And my mum, we all know she’s gay. And we need no gritty near our bodies! You off before I tell the story about brother of yours!”

The boy, from being so confidently dissing Yujin, has now shrunk. Speechless.

Yujin threw a smirk at him and walked away.

The other boys were engulfed in awkward silence as their friend pushed them away walking fast to his house.

 

Yujin knew she was going down deep the next day. 

‘Whatever, as long as I teach him a lesson’




**********



As the lesson was about to start, the sound system shrieks, causing tingles in few ears and a voice came “Miss Ahn Yujin please come to Headmaster’s office right away”

Yujin growled knowing well that Charles boy went running to his papa about the incident earlier.

“Right. Of course”

 

She walked in not bother to knock and caught her headmaster flinching trying to cover his desktop.

“Everyone knows what colour the hub logo is,” she said. Taking her own seat.

The man could just gulp.

“Who, who are you?, he stuttered.

“Really? You called me here. Miss Ahn Yujin”

 

“You know why you’re here?” he asked, clearing his throat.

“Because your son told you about me”, Yujin rolled her eyes. Can this old man get straight to the point? He is straight anyway.

“In school he is my student. And when my student complained about groundless rumour being spread by one of our students, we took action”, he put on his facade.

“Where is that action when everyone mocked Jamie for being gay?” Yujin sat up straight and stared right into his eyes.

 

“BEHAVE!” he slammed the table. Almost making Yujin jump.

“Do you know what consequences of your action?”

Oh hell nah, this man overreact and she needs to teach him some.

 

“Well guess what Headmaster, YOUR SON, I’m sorry, YOUR student is the only one I tell about the “rumour”, so if it ever spread,” she rolled her eyes “.. it is YOUR student doings. Not me. Need proof of it? Call our friends. Need more solid proof of the “rumour” ? Sure, Call my mother. Maybe then we can talk fairly”

 

‘What did the lesbians feed this child with? She’s imported straight from hell’

“Very well then..” he cleared his throat again “I’m sure it’s all just a misunderstanding. I will check further into this. You may go back to your class”

Yujin got up and walked to the door when the man said “Your mum ain’t that hot anyway. Clearly she never had man who can satisfy her need”

“Clearly her need ain’t a . Nor a man addicted to ” Yujin rolled her eyes and slammed the door shut.

“!!” 

She chuckles hearing the word coming from the room she left. 



**********

 

Minjoo was searching up and down for the tall girl during the lunch break. 

Finding her not in the cafe or neither the table outside. Then she saw Yujin coming into the building with her volleyball team laughing.

“Ahn Yujin! What happened?” she stormed towards her.

 

Yujin and her friends turned towards the girl. 

“I see you’re occupied now. Off we all go. Privacy granted”

“Shut up!!” Yujin threw the ball at the boy. Catching it firm as he expected it to come.

 

“Tell me what happened?”

“Well….” and the two spend their time outside catching up to Yujin’s story.



“How did you know his brother is gay?” 

Yujin hesitates, “Someone saw him at the gayclub”

“Someone?”

“Yeah. My insider” Yujin flashed her silly grin.

“Oooo…” Minjoo just nodded. Her world has more striking colours ever since she knew this girl.

 

The bell rang and the two walked back inside. 

 

“Anyway, see you at class,” Yujin said, with a smile. 

‘Does this girl know she has such an attractive face? And that cute dimple. And that eye smile. Oh my God! I love rainbows!’

 

“Wait… We’re not the same grade!!” she turned around and saw Yujin laughing. 

“Bye bye SeNiOr-iTa” Yujin waved. From afar her laughs echoed.Straight to Minjoo’s eardrums. 

 

‘, that laugh. I could bottle it and drink it everyday so I’ll stay hydrated through the day’

 

God! The world is so unique. And Yujin is the world. Minjoo shakes her thoughts clear and goes to her locker. Gathering books for History class.




**********



“Hey you!” Minjoo ran towards the familiar figure.

The tall girl turned around and smirks as she see her face “Oh look, the table has turned”

“Shut up..”, Minjoo rolled her eyes.

 

“So… I’ve been thinking..”, Minjoo starts.

“You’ve been thinking about me?” Yujin . Causing Minjoo to slightly blush.

“No! I’m not thinking about you. I was thinking about what I said to you”

“So you were thinking about me”, Yujin flashed her silly grin again.

‘Urgh, you’re so cute! And stupid, and cute!’ Minjoo groaned and continued “Urgh… So yeah I was rude. And  I am so sorry”

 

“Apology accepted”

Minjoo smiled and Yujin was grateful to her knees for holding her still.

 

“So.. friends?” Minjoo raised her brows.

“Thought you had enough friends. And I am not your preferences” Yujin tilted her head. 

Minjoo did not know if that was supposed to be a joke or sarcasm.

“I took it back. I was being a jerk. I am sorry again”

“Again, apology accepted”

 

“Don’t you always skate to school?” Yujin asked.

“Used to” Minjoo shrugged.

“Used to? Why not anymore?”

“I’d like to use this gift God has thawed upon me” there’s no way Minjoo is telling her about the curse her mother had casted upon her. It’s personal.

Yujin just nodded.

 

The two walked together and spent their time in silence when Yujin decided to break a conversation, “Do you know that we went to kindergarten together?”

Minjoo widened her eyes, pretending to be shocked “Oh really? I don’t remember”

“Of course you don’t. You are a teaspoon”

“What?” Minjoo was dumbfounded.

“Nothing”

 

“But yeah, I’ll be your friend” Yujin offered her hand.

“Urm why the hand?”

“A fresh start. Hello, I am Ahn Yujin. And you?”, again, the 1st wonder of Minjoo’s world, Ahn Yujin killer eye smile.

“I am Kim Minjoo. Nice to meet you”

“Okay now I only need to have your phone number and then we can be proper friends”, Yujin tried. ‘Okay keep going Yujin. You are at good pace’

Minjoo was about to with that “Are you asking for my number?” but she was too ecstatic about the whole situation. She took Yujin’s phone and typed it directly.

 

“Okay nice. See you tomorrow Kim Minjoo” Yujin smiles and waved her hands as she walked to her home.

Minjoo hurriedly unlocked the door and slammed it shut. Ensure to lock it and slide down the door when a message comes.

 

‘It’s Yujin bith’

 

“Kyaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!” Minjoo squealed on the floor and ran up to her room.

“Arghhhhhhhhhhhh my dreams! Aaaaaaaaaaa!!!” 





Fast forward to month after being best friends




 Some birdies ran to Yujin. Who was in the locker room getting ready for practice.

“Your girl is crying”

Yujin looked up “I don’t have a girl,” she said.

“Kim. Min. Joo”

Yujin threw her towel “Oh shut up! We’re just friends”

“We’Re jUsT fRiEnDs” she mocked Yujin.

“Go now. I think she crying hard”




Yujin ran to the stairs and stopped when she found someone slumped at the interval.

She let out a relieved sigh and walked slowly towards the girl.

 

“I don’t care whatever you say, I’m here to stay”

 

Yujin don’t need to wonder why.

She knows it’s not about boys or anything. Minjoo hardly spent time with anything else except her lately. Added it to her smug list.

She knew, she heard from her Mama that Minjoo’s parents are going for a divorce. She knew a bit of the stories Minjoo told her. It’s a small town. Word gets around.

But for now, Yujin is going for a smile. She knows how much Minjoo hates letting people see her cry.

 

“It right?” Yujin asked.

“What?”

“Watching your ex moves on” Yujin pretends to be oblivious. She knows Minjoo don’t want to about the real thing.

“Urm.. yeah.. I guess” and so Minjoo reciprocates. She knows Yujin knows. And she knows Yujin know she don’t wanna talk about her parents.

 

Minjoo honestly was expecting this to happen. Her parents fought a bit too much when they thought she was asleep. Her dad already moved on but her mum keeps holding on.

She doesn't care. Really, she doesn't. But who is she to lie? She wants them to work out in the end. But none of them want to give up their ego.

Dad has already long gone with his new family. 

Mum? Trying to keep the happy family image up. Probably so she can brag about how happy she is during the annual dinner.

 

Honestly, she doesn't care if they’re going for divorce. For all she wanted was a home. 

A home she knew she could go back to anytime she was in trouble. 

A home to come back to the people she loves and people who will lift her tiredness away just with a glimpse of their faces. But for now, her home is just a shelter. It lacks love and care. She just wants a place to belong to.

 

But hope crashes and hope burns.

 

She never felt so weak she broke down in front of everyone. How easy is it for her parents to say, “Hey, I’m sorry honey. I haven’t been home for so long. But I need to tell you before anyone does. I tried calling you but you didn’t pick up your phone. Your mum and I, We... we’re going for a divorce. Nothing’s going to change with your old life, I promise you that. We will both love you like we always do. But things don't work out and know it was our fault. Not yours. I’m sorry to say this through the phone. But I’ll make it up to you once I’m home”

 

It’s so easy to break someone’s heart with just a few words.

 

See how fragile a heart is. 

Just a word and it’s enough to break it apart.

 

See how weak a person is. 

Just a word and it’s enough to rip us apart.



Yujin just watched and patted her back as she watched the girl crumble in her arms.

“You’re ugly” she said. Have no intention of soothing the latter.

Minjoo turned to her. It’s her first time hearing so.

“You’re ugly when you cry. So don’t cry anymore” Yujin handed her a blue coral handkerchief. Not looking at the crying girl.

 

Minjoo took a moment to stare at the unpolished perfection in front of her. 

Yujin surely will look more beautiful should she paint her cheeks with a hint of pink. Her chapped lips were treated and her hair neatly in a bob short. But she is already a goddess even in this dishevelled way.

 

“Are you going to take the handkerchief or I have to stay like this until my arm broke?”, Yujin said. 

“Over” Minjoo scoffed. Almost laughing.

Yujin was still fixed in her cool stance. She had watched too many animes and dramas to perfectly copy the tsun pose.

She was actually hiding her tears as she saw her angel crying.

 

Guess Minjoo is a broken angel.

 

“Now I feel stupid” Minjoo said as Yujin took a sit next to her.

“Am I a genius then?” Yujin scoffed.

Minjoo nudged Yujin with her shoulder and groaned. “You’re terrible”

“At least I don’t make you cry” there, Yujin's silly grin again.

 

That hits medulla oblongata. “You’re right actually” Minjoo stares at her.

‘You are the cause of my smile’ Minjoo really wanted to say that. But she better keep it inside. 

 

Yujin was reminded by something. This is the time she uses her Mama story for good “Have I ever told you that you’re beautiful?” ‘WTF Ahn Yujin, you just said she’s ugly and now you say she’s pretty? Or you dumb?’

“Eh?” Minjoo turned to her.

“I know you probably heard it once or twice, maybe far too many times. But have I ever told you that you are pretty?”

“You are prettier if you cut your hair, treat your lips and change your glass”, Minjoo returned the praise.

“Hey I didn’t ask for criticism or a makeover opinion here. Come on get in my mood”

 

Minjoo laughed. Yujin successfully, effortlessly pry out her tears and broken heart “Yeah you never told me I’m beautiful”

“Well then write this in your pale pink coloured diary I said that”

“It’s cream coloured you blind ”

“My don’t have eyes though so you are right”, Yujin grins again.

“Urghh I hate you” Minjoo rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, uno shuffle”

“What the…”





Yujin magically handed her a water bottle.

“Drink. They say water makes up 70% of our body. Pretty sure you won’t like it if your tears make you lose 10% of it”

“Urm..that's not how it works. But thanks anyway”, Minjoo took the bottle and their hands brushed. The two kids could clearly feel the sparks. But they tried to play themselves cool. 

 

“I don’t care. In Yujin’s Theory it says so. After all, Yujin is always right. And oh,say thanks to the sustainable club. I took this from them”

“Yaaa!! You!” Minjoo can’t believe this, Yujin basically stole from her club. Tch, just as when she thought Yujin was being smooth. She smacked the girl’s arm.

 

Yujin laughs at being smacked by Minjoo.The two of them then somehow, leaned on each other. 

Silence blanket wrapping both of them. Until Yujin decided to open .

 

“I like it most like this”, her voice echoes slowly.

“Like this?”

“When you shut up” Yujin laughs. Honestly that’s not what she wanted to say. But better be safe than sorry.

“Oh you!” Minjoo smack her again.

“Of course. I mean who wouldn’t me? Look at me, I’m hotter than Uma Thurman”

 

Minjoo shoved her away, still in her laugh.

“You’re so full of yourself you know”

“Alas, wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter