Hope

Heartbeat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Here’s your meal” the cafeteria worker handed Byul her tray, a packed bowl of kimchi fried rice, bread, and a juice box sat on it neatly.

“Thank you” Byul smiled, she began walking toward the patient ward when she was stopped a hand on her shoulder.

“That’s more than you usually get, Doctor Moon” YooA giggled, her eyes turning seductive. “Mind if I sit with you again? If you want..I could even treat you to dessert later” YooA ran her hand around Byul’s neck, pulling her closer. A few heads turned, watching what was going on.

“I’m afraid I’ll have to decline your offer as much as I want to join you” Byul replied, an apologetic smile on her face. “I have an appointment today. I’m sorry, I really do feel bad” she waved as she continued on to where she was walking. Leaving a frustrated YooA standing in the middle of the cafeteria alone.

“Aish! She has the nerve to reject me even after she’s sleeping with everyone!” YooA grumbled, watching Byul walk off.

 

“Hey, how much longer do we have to keep walking” Yongsun huffed, they had climbed a few flights of stairs. " I want to eat" she complained.

“We’re here” Byul replied, pushing open the door to reveal the hospital rooftop. A slight breeze ran through the air, making it quite pleasant. “This much exercise isn’t going to harm you” Byul smirked, seeing Yongsun’s frustrated face. “Here, as promised” 

“Yah, are you joking with me? This is a boxed lunch from the cafeteria” Yongsun inspected the box, finding the logo of Seoul National Hospital on the side. 

“Yeah? What about it? It’s still a meal” Byul replied as she sat down on the bench.

“You brought me all the way up here to eat cafeteria food?” She scoffed, still opening up the lunch box.

“You didn’t specify what it had to be and I looked into your diet restrictions, this falls in line with it” Byul chuckled, taking a bite of her bread. She could hear Yongsun muttering something about how it wasn’t nice at all.

“Do you like coming up here?” She asked, taking a bite of the rice.

“It’s quiet, I come here when I need to think” 

“Heol, does this make me special then?” Yongsun replied, she smiled brightly, watching Byul's expression.

“Jeez...how can someone smile so brightly when they're getting closer and closer to death each and every moment?"  

“I suppose so. By the way, what was it you wanted to ask me?” Byul asked, looking over at Yongsun who was now walking along the ledge above the bench. “Uwah… heart disease can’t make you act like a kid right?” Byul watched as Yongsun walked.

“Oh! Right, I wanted to ask you how you keep such an ice cold poker face when delivering bad news. Most docotrs are more compassionate about it but you just reply as if it were nothing” Yongsun turned around, curious as to what Byul’s answer could be.

“Hmm… well I honestly don’t feel anything. It’s just a part of my job. I try my best for each and every patient but sometimes it just doesn’t work out. I can’t spend my time dwelling on each and every patient” Byul looked down at her watch. “Crap lunch is almost over” 

“It’s time to go, lunch is almost over” Byul held out her hand to help Yongsun down. “It’s dangerous, come down slowly” 

“Ahh...right when it was getting fun” Yongsun sighed, she reached out to grab Dr. Moon’s hand making her way down carefully.

"I'm not that clumsy Dr. Moon, I can take care of myself just fi-ahh!" Yongsun tripped ove

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter