Different

Heartbeat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moon Byulyi, a graduate of Seoul university, part of the select few cardiothoraric surgeons at the tender age of 28, is a womanizer. Turning any woman she wants into her toy, with no strings attached. She lives her life by indulging in her work and satisfying her own desires. A cold and heartless doctor, one that is a complete mystery to even her own collegues and friends. She is called a genius by many, becoming one of Seoul National Hospital's greatest and most respected surgeons. The Moon Byulyi that lives now, treasures only a few things, work, having fun, and her friends. 

"If no symptoms show up in the next few days, you'll be able to go home this weekend Jiwon-ssi" Byul smiled, patting the little girl on the head.

“Yay! Mommy did you hear that? Dr. Moon says I can go home soon!” The little girl smiled brightly at her mother.

"Thank you Dr. Moon, for taking care of Jiwon" The girl's mother gave Byul a small bow.

“It's no problem. If you need anything be sure to tell the nurses. I'll be back to check up on you later” Byul chuckled, hanging the patient clipboard back on the wall. She walked out of one of the patient rooms, smiling as she passed by the nurses station. Wheein shot her a small smile before turning back to her work.

“Yah, isn’t she so cool” one of the nurses sighed dreamily.

“Who? Byul?” Wheein scoffed.

“No matter how you look at her, Doctor Moon is just so cool. I’m jealous of everyone that gets to help her in the OR” 

“Yah, Jeon Somi, you better not get involved with Doctor Moon, she’s not your typical doctor” Sohee replied, she didn’t look up from her clipboard.

“Why is that?” Somi asked, the newest nurse was leaning on the counter, watching Byul interact with the patient’s loved ones.

“She’s dated quite a number of doctors and nurses here, it’s never serious. You don’t want to turn into one of her playthings” Sohee warned. 

“Sohee's right. You’re better off staying away from her or else you’ll just get hurt” Wheein said, a few of the nurses looked up, surprised that Wheein would say that about her own friend. “Now enough gossiping, this isn’t a cafe! Get back to your stations!” Wheein’s sharp orders made her staff go running off, no one wanted to piss off the head nurse. 

Byul was sitting in the cafeteria, she leaned back in her chair, taking a bite of the bread she had bought. Her silver hair was tied up loosely, her stethoscope hung around her neck. The clothes that were underneath her white coat was wrinkled, a sign she had been working a long shift. 

“You wouldn’t mind if I took a seat here, would you Doctor?” A tray slid in front of Byul, prompting her to look up, her lips curved up slightly.

“No, not at all. Who could turn down such a pretty woman?” Byul smirked, sitting up.

“A sweet talker as always, Doctor Moon” YooA took a seat in front of Byul, picking at her food. “Is that all your eating? Will you have enough energy for the day with that?” YooA motioned to the bread Byul was holding and the juice box.

“I’ve gotten used to it. I don’t like feeling stuffed while working” Byul replied, taking another bite of bread.

“Say..doctor?” YooA have Byul a seductive look, leaning in slightly. Byul could see her cleavage because of her loose scrubs. “What do you say..about taking a break with me after lunch?” YooA whispered. Byul her lips as she leaned in. 

“With pleasure” 

“I heard Doctor Son from pediatrics is getting promoted to senior doctor. They’re holding a party for her, would you like to join me as my plus one?” YooA asked as she and Byul got dressed. 

“Thanks for the invitation but I think I’ll pass, not a fan of crowds. Besides, I see enough of the pediatrics department” Byul replied, she adjusted her white coat, hanging her stethoscope around her neck again. 

“Don’t follow me out, wait here for a few minutes before leaving” Byul said as she opened the door of the storage room to leave. “I’ll see you around, YooA” 

Byul shut the door behind her, she began walking toward her office. The elevator door opened, as she left she passed by pink-haired girl who took her place in the elevator. 

 

.....

 

Byul awoke to her phone buzzing, she lazily rolled over, grabbing it off the unfamiliar desk. “Ugh, it’s too early for calls” She sat up when she saw the hospital’s number on her screen. “, an emergency call at this hour?You’ve got to be kidding me” 

Byul quickly got up, picking her clothes off the ground. Some shuffling in the bed made her look over at the sleeping girl. “Right..I stayed at her place. It’s a shame I don't even know her name” Byul sighed, writing down a note, she thought it was rather cruel for her to leave that way so she left a note saying she’d call. She had gone out last night hoping to have some fun, as always, it was an easy catch.

Byul got dressed and quickly left, she got into her car, driving toward Seoul National Hospital. 

“Doctor Moon you’re here! Sorry for calling you on your day off” Somi ran over, greeting Byul, the nurse was carrying various patient files. 

“It’s fine, what’s going on?” Byul replied, taking off her coat.

“There was an accident involving a bus and a truck. A majority of the patients are severely injured and need surgery immediately” Wheein said as she approached them, keeping up with Byul as she quickly made her way through the hospital.

“Here hold this for me. Prep the OR immediately!” Byul yelled as she handed Somi her jacket, the poor girl was struggling to hold her clipboard as well as Byul’s things. Byul tied her hair up quickly as she entered the surgery prep room. "Patient's condition?"

“Patient’s name is Lee Woobin, 56, male, fractured skull, he’s sustained several lacerations and other injuries in the crash” Wheein explained, handing Byul the patient chart. 

“Thanks Wheein” Byul smiled, she began putting on the scrubs. The head nurse gave a thumbs up before running off to help with other patients.

 

Byul had been in surgery for quite some time now. She was having trouble patching him up, there was a leak somewhere.

“Dr. Moon, his blood pressure is dropping!” 

“His condition is deteriorating! Hand me the hemostat. Yah! Keep supplying the blood!” Byul ordered. She worked hastily but with precision.

“Suction, there’s too much blood” Byul did her best to try and take control of the situation at hand.

“He's gone into cardiac arrest!” The beeping of the monitor made Byul look up at the man’s vitals. She began performing CPR. 

“Get me the defibrillator!.....Ready? Clear!” Byul took the device from the other surgeon, placing it on the man’s chest. 

Byul exited the OR, sighing. She cleaned herself up, going to her office to grab a f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter