August 14, 2010

A Box of Chocolates

I smoothed my hands nervously over my satin blouse and re-adjusted my black slacks.

It was today.
The interview.
The one that could easily make the difference between surviving and thriving for my siblings and myself.
The one with the head of production at JYP Entertainment.

I brushed a stray lock of hair behind my ear. My hand drifted down to the small charm on my necklace. It had been my mother's, this necklace. My father got it for her after Hyunjae was born. It was a simple gold dove in flight holding a gold olive branch. There were no details, just the shape of the bird. No extra bling or anything overstated. My mother hated that. But the leaves of the branch were made of diamonds. That was my dad's flair to the piece. He had always been much more outgoing and, well, extravagant, than Mom.

I inhaled deeply as the weight of memory pressed down on my shoulders. I swallowed and reached down for my phone. 11:23. The interview was at noon. If I left now, I would have time to grab a coffee. I slipped quietly out of my room. Junwoo was already awake. I commissioned him to watch his siblings as I grabbed my keys and left the small apartment I shared with my family.

Photobucket

I took a deep breath to steady my nerves as I stood in front of the large, impressive building in front of me. There were tall shrubs to my right. A group of eagerly waiting fangirls to my left. It's now or never. I thought. And never is definitely not an option. I squared my shoulders and strode up to the door. There was a large, rather intimidating security guard. I tentatively approached him. His eyes never left me.

"Excuse me, sir?" I began quietly.

"What is the purpose of your visit here today?" He makes no small talk.

"Uh, I have an interview with the head of production and I -"

"What's your name?" He cuts me off.

"Lim Ara."

He consults his smartphone before nodding. "Welcome to JYP Entertainment, Miss Lim." He said as he swiped a card and the door opened.

I could feel the deathglares from the fangirls. But that wasn't going to stop me. No way. I was going to get this job if it was the last thing I ever did. I inhaled deeply again, my hand at my throat, caressing the necklace. I squared my shoulders again and entered the building.

Photobucket

"So, Miss...?" The head of production, Mr. Jang began.

"Lim. Lim Ara."

"So, Miss Lim, why exactly are you seeking the position of coordinator?"

I debated about whether or not I should tell the truth. If he knew I was responsible for three younger siblings he might not be as inclined to hire me. I wouldn't be able to go off around the world tending to their precious idols. But if I lied and they found out later, I would be in major trouble.

I decided to tell the truth.

"The job I have now just isn't paying enough to support myself and my siblings."

"What do you do now?"

"I'm a hairstylist and part-time fashion stylist at OneCut in Anyang."

"Anyang? You know you would probably have to move to Gangnam-gu to work here and it wouldn't be cheap."

"I know, but I'm out of options." I decide to play the desperate card.

"Alright, you seem aware of the implications of taking this job. Now, I want to discuss your portfolio." He pulls out the folder of my past work. "I was quite impressed by it. You definitely have an eye for fashion and style."

"Thank you."

"At this point the only reservation I have about hiring you is that you mentioned you are responsible for your siblings and this job will require extensive traveling and long hours."

I take a deep breath. "I know. But they're old enough to more or less fend for themselves while I'm away. They're remarkably self-sufficient." Ok. That was a blatant lie, but I've told the truth up until now. I think one lie won't hurt.

"Well, alright then. You're hired, Miss Lim." He smiled as he shook my hand. "You start tomorrow."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry for not updating this in forever. :(