Chapter 1

Death begins in rebirth

Chaewon is not one to have nightmares. In fact, she is not one to dream, either, which is why, when she wakes up, she often does so calmly, at the usual 5 am to ready herself for training. It is then, strange, when she wakes up, gasping wildly, clutching onto the surface that she laid on. She is blind-sided for a moment, not quite grasping what was going on (but still feeling something strange on her belly and head), but when she finally gets out of her stupor, she looks at her surroundings.

 

It was a very sterile place, where mostly everything was metallic, including the surface she laid on. She jumped, now aware that she was . What the hell?

 

There were some instruments on one chair next to the table she was lying in a few seconds ago, and it made Chaewon think the worst. Was she being harvested? Was this seriously happening?

 

“Someone is going to receive an -whooping,” Chaewon gritted out as she walked towards the exit, giving no s about being .

 

She entered into another room, where a person in scrubs was working on some papers, looking at them intently. Chaewon took the opportunity to sneak without being seen to then slam him against the table the papers were.

 

“Who the are you and where the am I?” Chaewon snarled as the man below her wheezed, having had the air taken out of his lungs forcefully.

 

“I don’t know what you are talking about,” the person choked out, almost pissing their pants at their unknown attacker, who grabbed him and slammed him against a locker.

 

“I said, who in the are you?” Chaewon repeated viciously, grabbing onto the man’s shirt. The man took her in for a few seconds, and then his eyes widened in fear.

 

“How-”

 

“Stop stalling or I’ll make you wish you never met me.” Pressed against the locker, the man looked extremely surprised, and terrified, which made Chaewon smirk a little. Maybe she was more known than she thought she was.

 

“How are you even alive?” the man choked out, ignoring Chaewon’s threats, which made the latter growl in anger to then punch the man in the face.

 

“What? Were you expecting me to be dead? You son of a .” Chaewon, kicked the man in the stomach, making him fall onto the floor, groaning in pain. “WHERE. THE. . AM. I.” She emphasized each word with a kick.

 

“Hey, hey, hey! What are you doing!” A man screamed as he ran into the room. Chaewon left the other man on the floor, turning to look at the new intruder. Smirking at his also horrified, frozen state, she slowly walked to him, her expression now threatening.

 

“Since your friend was no help, could you tell where am I?” she asked with a sweet voice, knowing that the man could see his partner gasping on the floor, probably unable to even get up.

 

“You...” the man said before he ran away, screaming deafeningly, making Chaewon wince. What the hell was this guy’s problem? How could someone as weak as that be into organ harvesting? Deciding to not follow him, she concentrated again on the man on the floor.

 

“Your friend fled,” she said again sweetly, caressing his hair slightly. “And there is no one to help you now.”

 

“Please, no more,” the man pleaded, making Chaewon giggle.

 

“I was just asking a simple question, wasn’t I?” she laughed lightly again, then slammed the man’s face onto the floor. “Where am I?” she asked harshly after hearing a sickening crack.

 

“You... you are at the morgue,” the man cried out.

 

“Why am I at the morgue?” Chaewon asked, surprised at his answer. Morgue? This meant two things, either she was at a hospital or she was at a police station, both of which were not the answers she was expecting.

 

“You died,” the man answered, his voice still cracked with pain. “How are you even...?”

 

“I guess we will never know, huh?” Chaewon declared humorously, before pulling his hair.

 

“How the do I get out of here?”

 

“You can’t. We need to...” the man groaned when Chaewon slammed his face again onto the floor.

 

“Let’s try this again. How do I get out of here?”

 

“The emergency exit... in the next room.”

 

“See? That wasn’t so hard, wasn’t it?” she said, letting her grip on him go. He wouldn’t be a problem at all.

 

“It’s time to go look for that exit.” Walking towards the next door, she quickly realized there was a group of people, screaming man at the front, heading her way, probably to finish the job and take her out. Unafraid at the circumstance (all of them looked pretty weak), she faced them head on, stepping lightly on the linoleum floor.

 

The men on the crowd didn’t even stop to talk to her, as they immediately tried to restrain her. Chaewon was able to punch one of them in the face, another one in the stomach, avoiding a third one trying to grab onto her arms. She quickly noticed her reflexes were slower than usual, but she attributed it to the fact that they had tried to kill her, and continued evading everyone’s attacks, trying to keep up with the people wanting to grab her. She didn’t notice anything amiss until a buzzing sound resounded in the room, making her shake, to then fall unconscious again.

 

.

--

 

Kim Minju, despite her biggest desire to hide it, was an idealist at heart. Always liking the movies with the happy ending, the grand miracles that came with moving films, it was sometimes hard for her to let hope go. Hope, as they say, is the last thing to die.

 

Which is why, when she was crying at home, having received the news of her fiancee’s death, was quickly overjoyed when she received a phone call, telling her that Eunyoung, somehow, had miraculously returned to life. The details were fuzzy to her, as when as soon as she heard her love was alive, everything else was just noise to her. She quickly grabbed her keys and hollered to her father and Eunyoung’s parents that Eunyoung was alive. All three of them called out to Minju, wanting an explanation, but Minju couldn’t stay there a minute longer, wanting to be at Eunyoung’s side.

 

When she finally arrived at the hospital, the doctor quickly intercepted her.

 

“Kim Minju, right?”

 

“Yes, are you Eunyoung’s doctor?” Minju asked, knowing that the answer was yes. The man nodded.

 

“As much as I am overjoyed about your fiancee and you, I think I need to tell you something before you see her.” Minju frowned, not liking the doctor’s tone.

 

“What is it?” she asked, fearing the worst.

 

“Miss Bae isn’t all that well.”

 

“Why? Is she injured?” she asked, deathly worried.

 

“No, not at all. If anything, she woke up quite energetic... But...” the doctor scratched his nape. “She injured a mortician.”

 

“What? What do you mean? Did she wake up very surprisingly?”

 

“You could say that,” the doctor answered flustered, debating on how to tell Minju. “She broke his nose.”

 

“What? Why? What happened?” Minju stopped walking, shocked by the doctor’s words.

 

“I don’t know. All I know is that she hit him and slammed him onto the floor several times, breaking his nose.”

 

“Is he okay?” Minju asked, feeling sorry for the man, her heart twisting with foreboding at the doctor’s words. “Is Eunyoung okay?”

 

“Jaesook will be fine. He won’t press charges, I think. About Miss Bae...” he hesitated. “She had to be restrained by force, as she was behaving violently against hospital staff. Now, I am sure you are ecstatic to see her alive, as most of the staff. However, I recommend you tread carefully when talking to her. While she may look alright... there are some tests that we will have to do in the following days, so she won’t be able to leave.”

 

“I am so sorry for causing this much trouble. Eunyoung usually is not like that,” Minju apologized, hoping to speak with Eunyoung and have her explain her actions, of course, after giving her a bear hug.

 

“I believe you,” the man said, smiling tightly. “One more thing. She is unconscious now, but she will wake up soon. Please, don’t bombard her with questions. Treat her carefully, as she is most likely still disoriented.”

 

“I will. Thank you so much, and I am so sorry about her behavior.” Minju bowed deeply.

 

“Don’t worry about it now. Then, I will take my leave.” The doctor walked in the opposite direction, probably having other things to do. Minju resumed her walk to Eunyoung’s room (which had been provided in the phone call), worried about everything the doctor had told her. Had Eunyoung been scared? Had she been that disoriented? She hoped her girlfriend would be more at ease with her at her side when she woke up.

 

Remembering her father and her in-laws, she called her father, quickly informing him of the situation, asking him to tell Eunyoung’s parents about it. When she hung up, she was already at Eunyoung’s room. Taking a deep breath, she opened the door.

 

--

Chaewon groaned, blinking quickly, trying to get used to the intense lighting in the room. She could hear excited sounds far from her, making her frown at the noise.

 

“Shut up,” she slurred as she moved slowly, trying to sit up on the... bed?

 

“Oh, my god,” a soft voice exclaimed, the owner of it, grabbing onto Chaewon’s hand. She could hear other voices in the background, but this one was the most clear to her in the moment. Unconsciously, she squeezed the person’s hand, which unleashed a rain of kisses on her face, which woke her up almost immediately.

 

“Wait, wait, wait. Stop!” she said, grabbing onto that person’s cheeks. It was a young woman, probably the same age as her, with such gorgeous features, Chaewon would have mistaken her for a model.

 

“What are you doing?” she asked without bite, not that against a pretty girl showering her with kisses, though she would prefer it to be in another setting.

 

“What do you mean?” the woman exclaimed excitedly. “Eunyoung, you are alive. You are here, you are safe, you are alive.”

 

“That I am,” Chaewon said dryly. She was alive, alright. “As much as I am bursting with joy at the news, though, there is one thing: I think you got the wrong person, lady.”

 

“What... do you mean?” the woman’s face tightened with wariness.

 

“What else could I mean? I am not this Eunyoung girl, as you can see.” The woman looked at her, as if she was trying to assimilate her words. Was this girl from the psych ward, or what the hell?

 

“Stop joking, Eunyoung. I mean it,” the girl answered, her voice wavering.

 

Chaewon sighed exasperatedly. “As much as I’d like to be, though not really, I am not this Eunyoung you are talking about.” The woman looked at her disbelievingly, taking a few steps back.

 

“Eunyoung, stop.”

 

“Are you from the psych or some ?” Chaewon asked, trying to stand up. “What the ...?” There were some tubes connected to her body, so she tried ripping them off.

 

“Stop, Eunyoung!” the woman said, trying to stop Chaewon from taking them off. She was no match for Chaewon, who quickly took them off, giving no attention to the blood spilled onto the hospital sheets.

 

“Girl, stop calling me that. I am not that Eunyoung whatever,” Chaewon directed, pushing the girl to the side, already tired of the pointless conversation. Walking to the bathroom, she tried looking for anything familiar. “Where are my clothes? Where the are my...? Oh, no.” She remembered suddenly everything that had led to this moment, the moment she had died, the moment she had woken up at the morgue. Searching for the mirror, she finally looked at herself.

 

Only that the image in the mirror was not her.

 

“What the ?” she whispered, grabbing her face, touching roughly every inch of it. She repeated that phrase as a litany, slowly backing away from the bathroom.

 

“WHAT THE ?!”