001: New Neighbors

Go Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Eight Years ago: age nine

 

"Are you sure about this place?" Byul's eyebrows quirked up as she walked into her new home. Her mother nodded her head, "I already told you, you're going to love this place!" The enthusiasm in her mother's voice was almost contagious. "Now, go pick your room before your brothers get here." She shooed her daughter away. 

Byul made a run for the staircase, she'd finally be able to get the good room. She was already rehearsing what she'd say to her brother if they complain. It would most likely be along the lines of, 'first come first serve'. A mischievous giggle left her lips as she walked into the first room when you got up the stairs. It had a nice window that was just level with the window in the house across from her own. But to her luck, there's at least a twenty-foot gap between the two homes. 

Some would call her paranoid, but she didn't want her neighbors to end up being criminals then they'd have an easy way into her room. She shuddered all over just at the thought of it. 

Byul scanned the room, it seemed perfect for her. After she did a quick peek into the other bedrooms, she was sure the one at the top of the stairs was her favorite. So she went to grab her mom so she could back her up when she told her brothers it was her room. 

 

Six years ago: age eleven

 

"The new neighbors are here!" Byul's older brother, Minsung, yelled from his room. He had the room that faced the front yard, which he tried to brag about when they first moved in just two years before, but when he did, Byul just shrugged and told him she could have had it if she wanted. The memory made Byul smile as she walked into Minsung's room. "Ooo, what do they look like? I hope there's a girl my age." She sat on her knees beside him. Minsung had a pair of binoculars, he was certainly one for being extra. 

Byul's breath caught as she saw the new neighbors car doors open. She counted as people hopped out of the back seats, "Three kids!" She excitedly cheered, they'd be way better than the elderly folks that lived there before. What just made the icing on the cake, was the fact that she saw one girl and two boys, just like in her home. "Wow, what are the odds?" Minsung mumbled to himself.  

Byul ran down the staircase as soon as she saw her new neighbors go inside their home. "Mom! Guess what, guess what! The neighbors have one girl and two boys too!" Her smile was so bright that it looked like her cheeks were stinging. "Calm down, tiger," her mom laughed. "Can we please go over and introduce ourselves?" She did her best to make a puppy dog face,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter