Nine

The Deck Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 9 - The Angry Flaming Card 

Narrator’s POV: 

On the campus of celestial academy, in the largest and biggest house on campus, a boy with pink flamingo hair stared at his master in worry. He paced around the room in tension. The master, who was a 17 year old girl, was lying on a bed with her eyes closed. 

“Is she going to be okay?” The boy asked his younger brother who was sitting beside the girl, tending to her bleeding hands. 

Kyungsoo, AKA D.O, looked at the girl’s pale face. She looked quiet and timid to him. Almost, delicate as a feather. Her skin was pale and her face looked tired and drained. He knew there was something wrong with that tree. The aura around it was the major give away. He had already sensed his hyung’s presence ages before they got lost. He knew something was there but didn’t know what. He felt guilty that he wasn’t fast enough to stop Yoonmi. 

The moment he had seen her disappear, he had tried to go after her. But the damn tree wouldn’t let him. He tried everything he could but nothing penetrated the spell around it. Kyungsoo still remembered how scared and frantic he was. The moment Yoonmi fell into his arms, pale and gasping for air, he couldn’t breathe properly. He had felt the bond between them pushing and pulling like an elastic band. His heart was pounding against his chest in fear. He had just gotten around to accept her. He didn’t want to loose her so quickly. 

“I think so.” The shorter boy replied in a small voice. “You could have warned her, hyung. At least she would have been a little prepared.” 

The pink-hair boy pulled his hair in frustration. 

“I didn’t know about the spell, D.O!” He exclaimed. “I might have suspected it, but it was too late. By the time I realized this, I had already been sealed into my card.” 

Kyungsoo looked at his older brother. He was weak from being trapped into that prison for such a  long time. Whatever his old master did, he made sure to the life out of the pink-haired boy. Seeing as his hyung was going to fall in seconds due to weakness, he instantly leaped and caught the staggering boy. 

“You need to rest.” Kyungsoo said as he made the older sit on a nearby chair. “I trust you, hyung. Yoonmi is going to be okay. I did whatever I could. We just have to wait for her to wake up.” 

The sick boy nodded. 

“I hope she forgives me.” 

Just then, the girl on the bed moaned and opened her eyes. 

Back to Yoonmi’s POV: 

Let me tell you something... being greeted by two fuzzy cute little faces, zoomed right into your personal space is not a fun experience. 

“What the !” I screamed wildly, pushing the two boys out of my face. I suddnely winced as a sharp pain ran through my body. 

“Yoonmi!” A familiar voice said. I looked at my side to see Kyungsoo rubbing his in pain. And behind him was Baekhyun, AKA the-flesh-eating-monster who tried to eat me. I let loose a small smile at the pink-haired boy’s pained expression. Omo, did I push them a bit too hard? Oops. 

“Nice to see you survived, pretty boy.” I smirked. 

Baekhyun snapped his attention to me. He was starring at my smirking face and grumbled in return. 

“I see you survived too.” He said, trying to down-play the nervousness in his voice. I sighed. Too much pride. 

“How are you feeling, Turtle?” Kyungsoo asked me, caressing my hair like a mother hen. I sighed at his nickname. Will he ever stop calling me that? 

“Tired. It was hurting before but it’s gone now.” I replied, accepting a glass of water from him.

His body relaxed at my answer. He clicked his tongue and checked my temperature with his hand.  “I’m fine, D.O. No need to worry.” 

“You were hit by a powerful spell, Turtle. I have every right to worry about your well-being. Who knows what side-effects it might leave on you.” 

I shook my head affectionately. He’s in his motherly mode. I don’t think he will let me pass this easily. 

Changing my focus of attention, I looked at the pink-haired boy. He was quietly standing beside my bed, starring anywhere but my face. 

“It’s not your fault, Baekhyun.” I started, reaching for his milky white hand. I gently pulled him closer, asking him to sit near my legs. “I don’t blame you for anything. It’s all in the past now.” 

He bowed his head. 

“I’m sorry. I should have warned you about the spell.” He said quietly. 

I looked at him in confusion. 

“Wait, what spell?” 

“The one that rendered you unconscious. The one that made your hands bleed. And also the one that made you burn and choke right after the cracking sound.” 

“You know what I was feeling?” I asked unsurely. How could he know? 

“I felt your pain because you were holding onto me.” He replied, grabbing one of my hands in his grip. “I swear I tried to stop it, Yoonmi. But I was already sealed in my card before I could.” 

I stayed silent at his words. I’m not angry at him. I’m angry at the wielder who did all this. I swear if I get my hands on him, I will strangle him to death. 

“It’s okay. At least you’re alright.” I comforted him. He chuckled. “Come on, what’s with the long face? You are free now. You should be happy.” I announced happily. “You are happy, right?” 

“Yeah, I’m very happy.” He agreed, with a large smile. I smiled with him too. 

“Where’s your card?” I asked after a while. 

“Inside here.” I heard kyungsoo just as a small silver box was ed into my face. 

I was startled at first but none-the-less grabbed the box and stared at its content. Two cards. Two very shiny cards. They were both in their finest shapes. No creases, no bents. Just polished and shinning like diamonds. 

“D.O... your card.” I held up the earth warrior’s card in awe. “It looks so new.” The card was actually shinning now. The diamond looked more real than ever. On the other side, a picture of Kyungsoo has appeared. He had green vines coming out of him like an octopus. His hands were curled into a commanding position. I could even detect few elements of earth flying around him. His name, along with his power was listed at the bottom. 

“This is what happens when we warriors get a master who cares about us.” I looked at Kyungsoo in confusion. He took my hands in his. “You took care of me. You tended to my wounds. You gave me freedom. You gave me the love. As long as you continue to be like this, my card will continue to be shinny like this.” 

I flushed at his words. Did I really do all this? 

“I didn’t do much...” I said, shyly. I felt hands on my face. They cupped my cheeks before squeezing them lightly. It was Kyungsoo. 

“You did. I’m glad I got you, Yoonmi.” I smiled, trying to keep the tears away from my eyes. I felt so happy at his words. 

Removing his hands, I went back to the box. Another card laid there. It was laced with the same brightness as Kyungsoo’s but still had few bents and creases. I fingere

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter