Six

The Deck Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6 - The Cousins 

“Cousins?! I have cousins?!” I shouted over the stairs. I always suspected that I had some secret cousins hidden away but to actually hear it from my parents was just too much. 

“Why are you acting so surprised, sweety? Of course you have cousins. Everyone does. Even D.O has cousins.” My father said, helping Kyungsoo clean the living room. 

I looked at the shorter boy who nodded absentmindedly, picking up a flower vase from nearby and placing it in the middle of the table. The flowers in the vase were dead but with his one flick, they were blooming left and right in the colours of blue, red and yellow. 

Apparently, it’s the day before I’m headed to the academy, and my parents have decided to drop a bomb on me known as ‘the cousins’. 

“So what if D.O has cousins. I want to know why you haven’t told me about these ‘cousins’ before? Seventeen years of my life and you never mentioned a thing about them.” I said, drawing my fingers up at the word ‘cousins’ to emphasis my point. 

“You never met them, sweety. It never occurred to us. Simple as that.” My father shrugged, going back to his cleaning. 

I glared at his moving figure. Is he being serious with me? Is this the explanation I’m going to get? 

I huffed, kicking the nearest table in annoyance. 

“Hey! I just fixed that.” I looked up at my warrior who was throwing me a murderous look. 

“What?” I barked, not knowing why he was doing that. 

He pointed to the floor. I looked down to see a smashed flower vase spread all along the shiny floor of our house. I gulped. Those blue-red flowers seems familiar. That’s when I realized, it was the vase that Kyungsoo was fixing earlier with his powers. 

I looked at my annoyed warrior in fear. Over the many days I have spent living with him, I had  picked up one very important fact. Never and I mean never mess with Kyungsoo’s baby plants. It’s where his natural element lies and he hates it when someone disobeys that rule. 

I opened my mouth to say sorry but he cut me off. 

“Out.” I tailed out of the room like a rocket. Nope. No way in hell. I’m not messing with an angry earth warrior right now. 

Running all the way upstairs, I came to a stop near a guest room. Leaning on its walls, I tried to calm my slightly raised heartbeats. Damn, that boy is scary. Why do I feel like he’s my master and I’m his pet? Ughh... I will get back at you one day, Do Kyungsoo. 

Just then a tall figure appeared beside me. I’m jumped back in surprise as the intruder chuckled. I looked up to see a tall beady-eye man grinning at me. He was dressed in a white and black jumper,  a golden ring on his left thumb and a cheeky expression on his face. And oh, did I mention he was hovering few feet above the ground? 

“Heya, squirt. Wotcha doin?” He said, ruffling my hair. 

“Nothing.” I muttered, getting away from his grubby hands. 

The person floating infront of me was Minho Oppa. Full name ‘Choi Min-ho’, who is a very powerful air warrior who had just returned from his Paris trip to visit my mother. I didn’t know he was a warrior until he showed up last night un-announced. I found him floating in mid-air with his face stuck in a bowl of Ramen. Let’s just say I nearly had a heart attack. 

Minho Oppa was my partner in crime since my childhood days. We had always stuck together whenever he was around. I was happy at first when I heard he was back but then I was sent into a shocking state when he appeared in his young, ageless appearance. The last time I saw the man like this was when I was 12 and now after 5 years, he still looks exactly the same. Considering he was my mother’s warrior, she took the liberty of explaining me his true nature. 

“Then help us.” He said, throwing a bunch of blankets at me. “Help me carry them to the guest rooms.” 

I initially fumbled with the sudden weight on my arms but none-the-less followed him to a guest room where my mother was setting up the bed with one of our house staffs. 

“Oh good you’re here, Minho. How long does it take for you to get those blankets. It’s not rocket science.” My mother exclaimed sarcastically. “Hello, sweety. It’s so nice of you to help us.” She greeted me before taking the blankets from my arms. 

“Ya! Don’t sass me.” Minho Oppa countered, poking his tongue out at my mother. “I nearly died for these blankets. Who the hell keeps this stuff in the attic?! Do you even know how many cockroaches and spiders roam around in that place? Millions!” He said, waving his arm wildly. My mother did nothing but blink at his face stupidly before going back to her task. 

I chuckled at their antics. 

“So...” I started, playing with my fingers nervously. “Exactly how many cousins do I have?” 

“Four.” I heard her reply from across the room. “But only three are coming to meet you today. One is a first year like you. She’s also the one who’s not coming tonight. The other two are third years. Twins to be exact, but one is a boy and the other is a girl.”

“You should watch out for that chick. She’s the ultimate she-devil of the family.” Minho Oppa exclaimed, much to my mother’s dismay. 

“She’s not, Minho. She’s an absolute darling. You would know that if you had just talked to her.” 

“Oh trust me. I talked to her a lot.” He muttered quietly. I narrowed my eyes at him. Was he being truthful? Is the girl really that bad? 

“Who’s the fourth?” I asked after a while. 

“A boy. He’s a fourth year.” My mother replied but as usual, the air warrior had to interfere. 

“The only eligible heir and the next in line to be family’s head.” He smirked. “Personally, he’s a douchebag. On the outside, he will be nice to you and help you with anything you need but from the inside, he’s just as evil as the she-devil. Apparently, he has a ego problem. He will do anything to achieve what he desires the most.” 

“Wow.. what a charmer.” I said dryly. 

“Exactly.” The boy smirked just before he was smacked on the head by mother. 

“Minho!” My mother screamed. “Stop corrupting my Daughter.” She gave him another smack to the head, this time with a pillow. 

“Ow! Ow! Calm down, women!” I giggled as I jumped to the side to avoid an incoming pillow. I looked at the bored male staff who was probably used to the antics of my mother and her warriors. 

“Idiots I tell you. Idiots.” He said to me, shaking his head before leaving the room. I chuckled. 

I looked at the fighting duo. 

“Isn’t it funny, all these years they didn’t even blink at me and now suddnely when I’m declared as a Card Wielder, they are running here to see their ‘precious, beloved Cousin Mia’.” I retorted, stopping the occupants in the room from moving. They all looked at each other before shrugging and continuing on with their bickering. 

“Seriously?!” I tried again but all I got was ignorance. And a small wink from the cheeky Oppa. 

 

****** 

 

So, after two hours of silence, here I am sitting patiently in my room, contemplating on how to greet my so called cousins. I glanced at Kyungsoo who was resting on his make-shift bed with a tired expression. I could see he was nearly at the point of falling to sleep. 

This irritated me. So, I kicked his bed. He didn’t move but he did showed me the finger. 

I glared at his sleeping figure. 

“Why are you so relaxed?” I demanded, kicking his bed again. “Don’t you think it’s a bit weird that they suddnely decided to visit me?” 

“They are your cousins, Yoonmi. Not mine. Besides, same family, same crazy Lee. I’m used to it.” The boy said with a shrug before facing away. 

I groaned, slapping my forehead. The one time I want him to act mature, he turns away without a thought. 

“Hey, squirt! Your pesky cousins are here.”I heard Minho Oppa’s voice followed by another smack. 

I chuckled at his antics. I looked at my own warrior who was now sitting up at the announcement. 

“You ready?” He asked. I shook my head. “So, you are planning to ditch them?” I nodded happily. 

He sighed. 

“I blame you for this.” He said suddnely. I looked at him in confusion. What is h—

“AHHH!!” I screamed as green vines grew around me, heading straight for my ankles. I looked up at Kyungsoo in shock, only to find him walking away towards the door. I screamed again w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter