Three

The Deck Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 3 - The Visit

I stared sadly at the large card in my hands. Could it be one of those magical cards that Mum described earlier? Big size, buzzing of energy... seems pretty matching to this card’s features. 

“Aish..” I huffed out as I shook my head around in frustration. Why couldn’t my mind filter out this dump about card Wielders? 

“Am really a Card wielder? I don’t have any powers. Heck, I’m not even sure if you are real Mr. Card.” I whined at the large card. The diamond on it was still shinning. 

I was about to put it away is when I stopped. Dad mentioned that warriors live in the cards. Does that mean there is someone living inside this card? Is the card trapping them? I felt a small sharp pain in my chest again. This is sad. This is REAL sad. Why would someone trap a person inside a card? It’s cruel and evil. 

“Are you really a warrior card?” I asked loudly. Can it hear me? “Is that why those kids were after you?”  

They weren’t fighting for the card. They were fighting for the warrior inside the card.

“Does that mean Song Mina, Krystal Jung and all those kids are card Wielders?” 

I scratched my head in annoyance. Ughh... this just means I’m going to be bullied again. 

“How do I get you out? You can’t be trapped into that little card forever. It’s not good for health.” I really felt like crying. I don’t know why. It was as if I could somehow feel it’s pain. The longer I held the card, the more I feel things that I shouldn’t be feeling. 

“I know it’s not important but I might know how you must be feeling right now. I was once locked inside a freezer behind the canteen in our school. It was Mina and her gang who had locked me up. My only mistake was that I accidentally spilled milk on her. It was only for few hours but I still have nightmares about it. The school’s janitor found me, almost frozen to death. From then on, I have a phobia of closed spaces.” 

My eyes teared up at the memory. I was so scared back then. It was something that I could never forget. 

“Why am I crying?” I asked myself, noticing the fallen tears on my hand. One of the tear has also slid onto the card. I saw it glow and vanish into the card. A sudden warmth hit me. It started from my hands and then to the rest of my body. It felt like someone was hugging me. 

Don’t cry, master. 

I jumped at the soft voice. It was deep but soothing to my ears. I looked around wildly to see if anyone had managed to sneak into my room. It wouldn’t be the first time. 

“Is someone here?” I called out. No reply. Just silence. 

Then the card in my hand hummed. Like literally hummed. It was a faint rhythm but I could hear it. And then suddenly it stopped. I looked at the card in awe. 

“Was that you? Was that your voice?” I asked it. And I felt the card warming again. I smiled. “Don’t worry, I won’t cry. And stop calling me master. My name is Yoonmi. You can call me that once I release you. I just need to figure out how.” 

“Yoonmi, the professors are here.” I heard my mother yell. I stiffened. They are here? Already? “Come downstairs please.” 

I shuffled to the large window near my bed and looked down to find three people walking into our residence. Wiping my tears, I looked at the card. 

“Don’t worry, I will get you out of there. The professors are here. They will tell me how. I promise I will give you the freedom you deserve. And don’t worry. I’ll keep you a secret for now. Something tells me you don’t want me to reveal you yet.” 

Quickly fixing my makeup, I buried the magical card back into my pocket for safe keeping. I didn’t want to leave it alone in my room anymore. Knowing a person lives in there, I have to keep them safe until I can release them. The only safe place I trust is myself. 

 

Let’s see what’s this society is made up of. 

 

****** 

 

Sophisticated. That was the first thing I picked up from this older lady sitting right infront of me. She had shiny red hair, square glasses and absolutely thin & boney hands that made her look older than she already is. Her name, Professor Lizing. She is to be the head teacher for all the first years and is already a permanent resident as a important member of the board. 

“I hope you had no trouble in finding the house, Lizing.” My father spoke politely. He was serving the tea to the middle age lady and the two extra sub-teachers who she had brought with herself. I could already see one of them jotting down notes on his notepad, frequently looking up at me from time to time. I gave him a weak smile. Was he studying me or judging me? 

“No problem at all, dear. I just followed my instincts.” The women replied, sipping onto her tea as she fixed her glasses. 

“Of course, Lizing. How could we forget about your wielder magic? Tell me, do you feel the same towards my Daughter?” I looked confusingly at my mother. 

The new women pressed her lips together in a thin line before training her hawk eyes onto me. They were light grey in colour. I felt like I was being pushed through a x-ray machine. 

“Yes, I can sense her magic. It’s powerful than I expected.” 

My parents squealed in delight. They were throwing me big grins like they know something that I don’t. 

“That’s my daughter! I knew you had the Lee trait in you.” My father grinned as he tucked onto my cheeks. 

“Dad!...” I whined, scooting away from his hand and rubbing my sore cheek. “You are embarrassing me.” I whispered back

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter