Twenty Four

The Deck Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 24 -  Run Dashi Run!

“HURRY UP WOMEN! YOU’RE MAKING US ALL LATE!” 

I cringed at the loud voice of my earth warrior. Seriously, what does this boy eat to get such a loud voice? I sure as hell can’t raise my voice like that unless I’m super duper angry. 

Today is Monday. My second week at the celestial academy. After establishing the fact that we have a maniac killer on loose, no-one left the house yesterday. We all spent our Sunday inside the house, making game plans and doing power training. It was safe to admit that everyone was freaked out. Especially Chen and Sehun, who were atleast ten feet away from the front door. They didn’t even go out in the backyard. They were just too scared to face their oldest brother. Whatever that icy blue haired boy did, it has affected them in great lengths. 

Considering the bomb Chen had dropped on me yesterday, I can see why. Killing his own brother was a clear violation of all boundaries. It shows that he may not have any humanity left inside him. No wonder the boys are scared to death. Judging by their looks, I don’t think they even consider the man their brother anymore. And maybe Chen was right. They don’t. 

“Geez, I’m coming. Relax, Soo.” I yelled back as I gathered my belongings and tucked Tan in my coat’s pocket. The weather outside was like a winter land. The temperature was unbelievably too low. I could only hope that it’s the normal Seoul weather that’s acting up. If that icy warrior has anything to do with this, then we’re all doomed. 

I had to wear three layers of warm clothing to keep myself from freezing up. Considering, this is the second week, some of our leniency has vanished for us first years. First of all, we have more classes to add onto our schedules. Instead of one giant theory class like last week, it will be broken down into numerous small classes, focusing on different things. Same goes for the practical classes happening with Daniel. Second of all, the rules of the academy will be more stricter. Thirdly, the standard red and white uniforms are back on my body. No more casual wear. That was only allowed for the first week. Now, I have to roam around the campus in white tucked in shirts and red checkered short skirts with black Harry Potter like cloaks on my shoulders 24/7. 

Seriously, who ever thought of this skirt rule in a cold weather like this, is a moron. 

Tan was also wrapped in the most warmest scarf that I could find. The poor thing was shivering from all this cold. I actually felt bad for him. He has such a tiny body. This cold weather is gonna do a big number on him. 

“Don’t worry, he’s going to be fine.” A deep voice said behind me. I quickly twirled around in my spot to find a very sleepy chanyeol leaning against my door frame. His vibrant red hair were sticking up in all directions. And his eyes looked sleepy. Looks like he just woke up. 

“Did you just woke up?” I asked him as I walked forward and ran my hand through his red locks. His eyes closed shut in satisfaction. A small smile appearing on his lips. 

“Yeah, I did.” He nodded. 

I smiled. He was such a cutie! He had grown closer to me during these past few days. While Kyungsoo and baekhyun showed their care through their actions, he on the hand liked being the big guy and always acted like a peace keeper between them. He would steal away my affection with just one glance. 

It was a new experience, but I like it. 

Woof. Woof. 

I looked down at my puppy. He was staring at the hand that was caressing chanyeol’s red locks. 

“Omo, looks like someone’s jealous.” I grinned as the little creature glared at me. I pulled my hand away and snuggled it against the little puppy. He took my giant fingers in his mouth and refused to let go. “Yup, he’s definitely jealous.” I stated looking at chanyeol who was scoffing at my pup’s behaviour. 

“Ya! You stupid, little, attention seeking midget, I found her first, so get in line.” He grumbled out. 

I giggled. 

“I feel so lucky. Everyone wants me. Even my cute little tan.” I cooed, fanning myself like I’m a beautiful goddess. “My beauty is the greatest. Oof! Don’t worry my peasants, I will love you all the same.” 

A groan echoed from the red-haired warrior. 

“You sound just like Jin hyung.” 

I furrowed my eyebrows at him. 

“Who the hell is—” 

“I SWEAR TO GOD, COME DOWNSTAIRS NOW YOU FREAKING CRYBABY!” 

I gritted my teeth. It was the bloody owl head again. 

“I swear I’m going to kill this Rhinoceros one day.” I hissed out as I patted my hair down and stomped my way downstairs. Chanyeol had already disappeared into his room. 

“Finally!” I sighed at my earth Warrior’s voice. “Any longer and I would have personally dragged you out of your room.” 

I poked my tongue at the grumpy warrior. He smacked me on the head. I glared at him. 

“ing rhinoceros.” I mumbled. Instantly, his eyes narrowed at me. 

“What did you just say?” 

“Nothing, you’re just hearing things.” 

“It better be nothing.” He warned me. 

I threw him a fake smile and pulled his cheeks, hard. He yelled in pain but I didn’t let him go. Instead, I started cooing at him. 

“Awwww.... my cute little owl is angry. Want mumma to kiss you better?” I cooed loudly, puckering up my lips at him. He looked terrified but I still continued do it. “Come to mumma!” 

He shrieked. I giggled and placed a small peck on his cheek. He held his cheek like someone had slapped him. I smirked. 

“Good boy.” I said, patting him on the head. “Let’s go now.” 

And with that, I walked towards the front door. 

“Yoonmi wait!” I heard Chen’s voice as he came running up to me. He held his card out to me. I looked at it and frowned. I thought I left it in the safe box, upstairs in my room. “I want to come with you.” 

My eyes widened. 

“Absolutely not!” I said instantly, snatching the card away from his grasp. “You are going to stay here until Kyungsoo and I have seen what that boy could do.” I said, moving back towards the staircase so I could put the card back where it belongs. 

“No.” Chen stopped me. “Please, let me come with you. I can help. I can probably pick up things that Kyungsoo might not understand. We’ve been in the same family for years. There are stuff that no outsider would get.” 

I looked at him in thought. I was conflicted. Should I take him? If he gets out, that man will instantly know that I’m the thief. 

“Give me one good reason as to why I should take you with me?” I asked in seriousness. “Why should I risk exposing you when I know that he’s after you?” 

Chen looked at me with pursed lips. He bit onto them and sighed. 

“Because I need to know.” 

“Need to know what?” 

He had a frustrated look on his face. 

“I don’t like being kept in the dark, yoonmi. It irritates me.” He said. I opened my mouth to counter him but he shut me up. “He’s after me and sehun. And you too. I can’t stay here and send you in the lion’s den just like that. I have been in the Jung family for years. Krystal always took me to her family meetings. If there’s someone who knows more about Xiumin, then that someone is me. I’m familiar with how he works. I can’t sit on the sidelines. You need an extra warrior with you. Please.. please, take me with you Yoonmi.” 

By now, he looked desperate. I rubbed my forehead in pure frustration. His points are all valid. I have nothing to counter him with. I took a deep breadth and sighed. 

“I will take you, only if you promise me not leave your card until we get back home?” I said, coming up with a compromise. I saw Kyungsoo open his mouth to protest but I silenced him with my hand. “Promise me, Chen. No matter what, don’t come out of your card until I tell you too.” 

He nodded, pursing his lips in the process. 

“I promise.” 

“Okay.” I quickly added his card to my little pouch around my hip. “Come on then.” 

I motioned both him and Kyungsoo out the door. We quickly made our way to my first class. The weather outside was chilling to the bone. Everyone was shivering. I could see the whole student body wrapped around in many layers of clothing. They were all hugging their sweaters and beanies to preserve as much heat as they could.  

It was an odd occurrence. Seoul’s weather has never been this cold before without any ice. In fact, with the amount of temperature drop right now, it should have been snowing, like it always does in winter. But there’s no snow here. No sign of winter approaching. Just a stinging, chilly cold. 

“Is it just me or is there something weird and unnatural about this cold?” I said out loud to my warriors as I shifted Tan to my inner pocket instead. The little pup was freezing again. His tiny teeth were chattering against each other violently. 

“It’s hyung.” Kyungsoo answered wearily. I glanced at him in worry. “It’s his powers.” 

“His powers are making everyone feel cold?” I asked stupidly. 

“No, you idiot.” He said, flicking my forehead lightly. “His powers are Ice. He can manipulate Ice... and cold.”  

“Same thing.” I retorted with a glare. He just shook his head at me. Stupid owl. 

Swinging my arms around my two warriors, I pulled them towards the familiar main building where the class was happening. Kyungsoo looked content within my grip. He even joined in by wrapping his own arm around my waist. Chen on the other hand seemed to be busy in his thoughts. I could see his eyes were unfocused. 

“Noona!” We stopped at the loud voice. I looked back to see Jung-kook running towards me with Namjoon right behind him. They were dressed in their regular black clothing again. I swear these boys needs some colours in their lives. 

“Kookie..” They came to a stop in front of me. Namjoon was breathing hard, clutching his chest in pain. He was glaring at a excited Jung-kook who had his eyes trained on my face. 

“Noona!” He cheered like a little child. I looked at him weirdly. He has never been this cheerful before. Suddenly, I found myself in a bone-crushing hug. “Can I see hyung please?” He pleaded as soon as we separated. I glared at him. So, he’s here to see my puppy and not me? Bloody rabbit. 

“No.” His huge smile instantly flattened. 

“W-what? B-but why?” His eyes instantly teared. A pang of guilt hit me. 

“He’s freezing, kookie. He needs to stay inside my pocket.” I explained, patting my inner pocket near my chest. I felt the pup wiggle a bit. He’s so tiny. “Besides, I’m kinda angry that you’re here for him and not me.” I said, glaring at him. 

His whole demeanour changed to a fumbling puppy. 

 “T-that... that’s not t-true!” He stumbled with wide eyes. 

“Uh-huh.” I hummed with raised eyebrows. 

“I... I came here to see you too!” He quickly said, looking at Namjoon for help. The older warrior just glared at him. 

“You are right, Yoonmi. He’s here for the little rascal in your pocket.” Namjoon said, dismissing the baby warrior’s big, pleading eyes.  

“Hyung!” Jung-kook whined. I rolled my eyes at him. He looked at me in panic. “Hyung’s lying. Look, I even brought you flowers.” He said, pulling out a bunch of flowers from Namjoon’s inner pocket. 

“Hey!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter