Eighteen

The Deck Princess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 18 - Yoonmi to the rescue 

It’s been two weeks since I’ve been introduced to the hidden world of card wielders. In these two weeks, I have gained three warriors, met my cousins, started the academy, got involved in a hunt, witness a warrior’s death, got threatened by a fourteen year old bunny boy and got into a fight with my cousin and song Mina. It’s been pretty hectic two weeks. 

I looked at the rising sun as I stood near my window. I was watching the sunrise as words from yesterday echoed in my head.

“We’re all killers, Yoonmi. Each and everyone of us.” 

It scares me to know that the boys I’m harbouring in my care could be killers. When I had heard those words, I was scared... scared of the fact that maybe they don’t want the life I want them to lead into. But then I thought about how our world is. Filled with cruel people at every turn. People that do not hesitate to kill a living breathing person. If my own kind is not clean then who am I to judge my warriors. They must have done this out of circumstances. To save themselves or someone they love. Like Jungkook. He was fighting against me to save his Namjoon hyung. But he has no idea that I have no bad intentions towards him or Namjoon. 

After Kyungsoo lost control on his powers yesterday, the boy had been crying all day long. He felt so guilty for putting me in danger and letting his anger loose that he’s having trouble meeting eyes with me now. I did the only thing I could. I stuck with him. I comforted him. I told him that I would never leave him, no matter what. I told him, his past didn’t matter to me. What mattered to me was his present and future. Something that he could grasp on and live his life to the fullest. I don’t want him to regret anything. 

I sighed and looked at the time. 

 

5:30 

 

It was still too early for the boys to get up. Luckily, there was no practical classes on Fridays. That means no Song Mina. Especially after what happened yesterday, I don’t think it’s a good idea to see her.

I on my bottom lip as I pulled the window sill a bit higher. I could feel the morning silence filling the room. It didn’t bother me. Instead, I felt relaxed and well-rested. My emotions were calm while I stood watching the peeking sun in the horizon. 

Letting the fresh air come in, I moved back to my table where I could see various hand-written notes about my warriors. I had scribbled them down last night when I remembered the homework Daniel gave us. Its supposed to help me understand my warrior’s powers so I could come up with the best strategies for the monthly tournaments. The next one is only three weeks away from now. I was worried how I’m going to approach this. Maybe it’s time to set up some training sessions with my warriors. 

Shaking my head, I collected all the papers and put them away in the drawer below. Heading to my bed, I quickly ducked down on my knees and pulled out the silver box that contained the torn pieces of Namjoon’s brother. I’m going to try and fix the card. It has been on my mind for a week now, and I really want to get over it. Just seeing the pieces so dull and grey didn’t sit well with me.  Especially when I have a bratty teenager after my throat for supposedly killing his brother. 

Spreading out all the 32 pieces on my study table, I started to join them like a jigsaw puzzle. Since the pieces were quite small, it was hard to distinguish the different sides on it. The dull grey colour wasn’t also helping. It took me nearly two hours before I finally finished joining the card. Grabbing a sticky tape, I taped them all together so it forms into its card formation. The structure was weak but I managed to keep it intact. 

“Wow.” I whispered as I noticed the design. It wasn’t perfect but it was clear enough to see two tall bars with triangle ends and few characters in Hangul. There was no bright colour on it. Just a dull grey. I remembered that it was supposed to be in a light pink shade, just like Namjoon’s. 

“Are you still in there?” I asked, hoping that the warrior was somehow still alive. Nothing happened. It stayed silent and dead. I the card in pity. The other side of the card was blank. No border, no picture. Just blank. I concluded that it must be unclaimed on the time of his death. “Sorry, I couldn’t do anything to help you.” I whispered again before kissing it. Nothing. I didn’t feel anything. Looks like the warrior is truly dead. 

I bit my lip in sadness before putting it back in the box. As soon as I fixed it back to its original position underneath my bed, I left the room, failing to notice a faint glow coming from the said box. 

 

***** 

 

“Do you want me to come with you?” Baekhyun asked me as soon as I picked my bag up to leave for the theory classes today. I stopped in my tracks and thought about his question. Do I want him in my theory class? No. He’ll probably get bored. Do I want him with me in dealing with Krystal if a situation arise? Maybe yes but I’ll ignore that and be a big girl. I can’t keep asking my warriors for help with my own fights. I don’t want to feel like a burden to them. I want to keep them safe. 

“No. I’ll be fine.” I answered, kissing him on the cheek. He looked at me with longing. He and chanyeol heard about what happened yesterday. They feel guilty about not helping. Apparently, the boys had left their cards to do some sight seeing while I was in my class yesterday. So, which means while Kyungsoo was about to rip two girls into shreds, they were outside in the gardens, playing catch. 

I’m not angry with them. They have the right to be anywhere they want to. It was just bad timing. 

“It’s okay, baekhyun. It’s just a theory class.” I assured him before opening the front door. I looked at the tall giant behind him. “You too chanyeol. Don’t worry.” I said, throwing him a small flying kiss before turning around to leave the house. 

As soon as I was few feet away from my dorm house, I released a deep breadth. Why is the mood so gloomy around me? Shaking my head, I proceeded to head to my class. 

This time, the class was being held in a different building. It wasn’t far but it wasn’t any close either. I had to go through the teaching quarters to reach the building. In the midst of my journey, I ending up spotting a familiar duo, walking with their heads down behind a certain evil looking professor. 

I winked at the koala boy who had noticed my presence first. His face instantly brightened up. Next to him, I could see the bratty bunny boy, looking at me in shock and jealousy. I sent him a flying kiss which in turn made him gag. I laughed at his face and continued walking. 

I swear that boy will never change. 

As I reached the new classroom, my heart beat picked up. After yesterday’s incident I don’t know what to expect. Tearing apart the ground into two is not a small issue that can be covered. Apparently, the word has gotten around. With all the witnesses from the scene and the two victims, everyone at the school has heard about the incident. Some believed it to be a natural but unusual earthquake coincidence while others believed it to be an rebellious act from my warrior. For a warrior to act violently on his own towards another wielder is a major offence in the wielding society. I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m called for questioning today. 

Keeping my head held high, I pushed open the door and entered the room. As expected, silence was the only thing that greeted me. I ignored the tension in the room and made my way towards the back. Choosing a desk, I dropped my pink bag on the ground, and plopped down on the chair with a heavy sigh. Leaning my face onto my hands, I tried to filter out the whispers that I kept hearing within my range. They were all about me. 

“Was it her warrior?” 

“Did she really do it?” 

“She just messed with the wrong person.” 

“Mina’s going to kill her.” 

“I don’t think the song family would let her stay here after what she did?” 

“Who cares? I’m glad she kicked Mina’s .” 

I smiled at the girl next to me. She seemed fascinated with the numerous versions of the incident from yesterday. 

“That dumb needs to control her pesky warriors.” 

“I told you she was a human trash.” 

“Bloody late bloomer. She should be expelled.” 

I just shook my head at all the nasty comments. 

As the time ticked by, the few empty spots in the classroom started to fill up. It wasn’t long before Krystal also entered the room. For some reason, she made a bee-line to the desk infront of me. I in a breadth as she quickly pushed a girl aside and took the spot. 

I watched her suspiciously. Her face was covered with neutral expressions. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking. And to make it worse, she was staring right at me. I looked at her in question. 

“What?” I barked at her. She didn’t reply but after few seconds she shook her head and turned around to face the front. I was confused by her actions. What is she trying to do? 

Soon, our teacher, Bong Soongi entered the room and started the class. 

“Today, we are going to do something that will spill into your practical class. Which means I need all of you to pull out your cards. Pick the one you dislike the most and call them forth.” He said. 

I gulped as I looked at everyone pulling their cards out. I didn’t bring my warriors with me today. I thought this was supposed to be a theoretical class! 

“Ms. Lee. Why aren’t you doing what I’m telling you to do?” The teacher said loudly, noticing my stiff posture. 

“I don’t have my cards with me, sir. I thought this was a theoretical class.” I replied. Almost instantly, snickering was heard around me. I looked at Soongi’s face. He looked disappointed. 

“Rule number one, never I repeat never leave your cards behind. Without them you all are useless.  Whether it’s a practical class or a theoretical class, I expect all of you to have your cards with you at all times. You never know when a situation could arise.” He stated, going back to the front. “As for you Ms. Lee, you will have to sit on the sidelines for this activity. This will be the only time I’ll allow this to pass. Next time you show up in my class without any cards, it will be you who will act as my guinea pig.” 

I nodded at his warning. Everyone else just smirked. Looks like they enjoy it when I get in trouble. 

“Remember, pick the card you dislike the most. I don’t want any crybabies crying about their favourite cards being hurt.” 

Wait, being hurt? What is he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter