Mine

The Uncool Kid

 

Sehun keeps his eyes firmly set on his menu, trying to concentrate on all of the food choices. He can feel Kai’s arm behind him along the back of the booth. “So what’re you two doing out here? Mid-night shopping?” The jock asks.

 

“Something like that,” Luhan answers quietly. 

 

Sehun looks to him briefly and scowls a bit. He knows full well that’s not the case. Why would he sneak out in the middle of the night then? He sighs at himself. Maybe this is all a misunderstanding and he’s just sneaking out because of his father. But why just with Minseok? He knows Luhan has more friends. And how come he never sees him sneak out with Kris? He tries to hold in in irritation but it comes out regardless. “Weird, I don’t see any bags.”

 

“Well, maybe there wasn’t anything I liked.”

 

“What’s wrong with what you have now?” Sehun asks and gives his step-brother a challenging stare. “Not happy with one hat, you need two?”

 

Luhan narrows his eyes. “What’re you insinuating?”

 

Sehun just shrugs and sets down his menu. “I know what I’m ordering.”

 

“Let me guess; hamburger, fries, and a chocolate milkshake?” Kai smirks when the boy glares up at him. “What can I say? I learn fast.” 

 

“It’s a good combo, you can never go wrong with it!”

 

“It is, I think I'll get it too,” Xiumin hums happily. 

 

“Me three,” Kai chuckles. 

 

“I’ll just get fries,” Luhan speaks up. “I’m not very hungry.”

 

“What!” Xiumin gasps. “Lu, you always get a burger combo!”

 

“Well, I'm not hungry today.”

 

“Come on,” Sehun sighs. “Just because you hate me, doesn’t mean you can’t eat. Just order your food.”

 

Luhan stares at him for a moment before nodding. “Fine, I’ll take my regular.”

 

“That’s the spirit.”

 

“Come on, Sehuna, I don’t think Luhan hates you!” Xiumin frowns.

 

“Uh-huh,” Sehun leans back into Kai’s comforting chest. “Sure.”

 

“Are you okay?” Kai whispers in his ear. “We can leave if you’re  uncomfortable.”

 

Sehun shakes his head. “No, It’s okay.” He smiles when Kai gives his cheek a reassuring kiss. He sighs and leans his head on Kai, watching as Luhan and Xiumin talk now; about the school, friends, life. He should feel nervous, being around his step-brother. But the jock beside him gives him confidence. He doesn’t want to just run away like a coward. He does that enough when it comes to Luhan. Maybe the guy isn't used to being confronted. And that’s just what he’s going to do. Tomorrow.



 

“I’m sure you’re wondering why I had you follow Luhan,” Sehun finally speaks up after Kai parks in front of the house. 

 

“Well sure,” Kai replies, accepting when handed his extra helmet. “But I figured I’d find out whenever you wanted to tell me. I noticed a lot of tension back there.”

 

Sehun sighs and looks to his house. “Okay, but you can’t tell anyone.”

 

“Not even Taemin?”

 

“I don’t know, does Taemin reveal your secrets?”

 

“Of course not.”

 

“Then sure.”

 

Kai crosses his arms, waiting for Sehun to go on. After another sigh, he does. “I...I think Luhan might be cheating on Kris and I want to confront him tomorrow.”

 

The jock raises his brows and seems to think about it. He slowly nods and lets out a long, sigh. “That’s uh...wow.”

 

“He sneaks out around the same time with Xiumin, every night,” He explains. “I-I get that he has to sneak out because of our parents but he has more friends than him. And he went shopping but no bags?”

 

“Yeah,” Kai sighs. “That was pretty weird…”

 

“I’m sorry but I wouldn't put it past someone like Luhan to cheat.”

 

“Honestly? Me neither. But Kris is one of my good friends, I kinda just…”

 

“Tolerate him?”

 

“Yeah, basically.”

 

Sehun slowly nods, leading Kai up the driveway. “I’m gonna talk to him before he sneaks out with Xiumin tomorrow,” he says. “I just...it doesn’t feel right.”

 

“So uh…” Kai coughs when the boy stops at the door and turns to face him. “You don’t have to sneak in?”

 

“Why would I? It’s only one in the morning and I have nothing to hide,” He gets nervous when Kai takes a step closer. “My mother would be happy to know I’m out with…” He blushes when the man grows closer as he waits for Sehun to finish. He slowly leans back against the door, staring up at him.  “Kai, I...I’m not sure I’m..ready.”

 

Kai smiles, gently putting a hand on his cheek. “G”

 

“I’m sorry, Kai…I just...”

 

“Hey come on,” He leans in, whispering in his ear. “I don’t mind waiting. You’re worth it.” He gives Sehun a wink before heading back down the driveway toward his bike. “Have a good night, sweetcheeks.”

 

Sehun slowly touches his cheek, watching the jock hops on his bike and drives off. He puts a hand on his chest as his heart beats fast. He tries to not smile but he can’t help it as he enters the house. He clears his throat when he sees his mother. “Mom, hey.”

 

“Oh, hey, honey,” Sehun’s mother smiles. “Where have you been?”

 

“Just with Kai,” He admits. 

 

“Oh? Where’d you two go?”

 

“He took me out for some food,” Sehun fiddles with the bottom of his shirt. “Then we drove around for a bit.”

 

His mother hums. “That’s very sweet, Sehun. I’m glad you’re making some friends. 

 

“I…” He glances at the door. “I think I like him more than a friend.”

 

She gasps and sets her book down and motions for him to sit.  “Oh, baby, a-are you in love?”

 

“Love,” Sehun repeats, doing as she asks and sitting beside her. He remembers the way he felt as he leaned into Kai, an arm wrapped around his shoulder to help comfort him. He felt so safe. Happy. How he felt disappointed when they separated. How he thinks about the damn guy all of the time. “I…” he shakes his head. “I know I like him. But I don’t know, I’m scared.”

 

“I know, honey,” She sighs softly, grabbing his hand in hers. “After everything that happened, I understand. But you look so much happier around him and you’re even making other friends. Has he ever given you a reason to doubt he likes you?”

 

“No,” Sehun admits. “Not even once.”

 

“Then the answers seem very obvious to me,” His mother gently kisses him on his forehead. “Just go with your heart, okay?”

 

Sehun smiles and nods. “Yeah...okay, mom.”



 

Sehun doesn’t feel as uncomfortable as he knows he should be, or as nervous. And it feels natural to have Kai’s arm wrapped around his shoulder every time they hang out. Baekhyun hangs around them as well and he seems weirdly excited about it all. There’s one time Kai thinks he’s bothering Sehun and goes to remove his arm. But Sehun quickly grabs his hand and pulls him back in place. He gives Sehun cheek and forehead kisses even around his friends, giving him the impression Kai doesn’t care if anyone knows. 

 

“Wow, you two are...close,” Luhan says as soon as he enters the bathroom. Sehun looks at him in the mirror and frowns.

 

“Who? Baekhyun?”

 

“No...Kai.”

 

The boy sighs and turns to face his step-brother. “Yes, we are.”

 

Luhan awkwardly shifts onto his other leg. “You really think he likes you?”

 

“Why? Because he doesn’t like you, Prince Luhan? Are you shocked someone isn’t worshipping your every movement and kissing your pretty little ?”

 

The lavender-haired boy gasps and widens his eyes. “Whoa! What the hell has gotten into you?”

 

“You did, ‘brother’. Why is it so weird that someone likes me, huh?! Am I that ing horrible?!”

 

“Stop cursing!”

 

“Stop being an to me then!”

 

Luhan frowns. “How am I-”

 

“Why do you sneak out every night with Xiumin?”

 

Luhan stares at him in disbelief. “What?”

 

“I see you from my window,” He says. “I see you sneak out with Xiumin. You’re not shopping...so what’re you doing? Cheating on Kris?”

 

“That’s none of your business, Sehun!” He practically hisses and takes a step forward. 

 

“I don’t know, It might be my business if you’re sleeping with another dude.”

 

“Shut up! You have no idea what the hell I'm doing!!”

 

“You mean who? Sneaking out late hours with Xiumin, looking all suspicious and guilty. If you’re not ing behind Kris’ back,” Sehun raises a brow, “Tell me, what’re you hiding from, your majesty?” He sees it coming, but it still hurts when Luhan’s hand makes hard contact to his cheek; slapping him. He stares at the wall for a moment before taking a deep breath.

 

“No one even likes you, Sehun! You’re just clinging onto Kai because you don’t wanna be a ing loser!” He hisses. “Well guess what? You’re nothing BUT!” Luhan glares at him before he turns and storms out, slamming the door behind him. Sehun swallows hard and closes his eyes. His cheek stings and now his eyes to do as tears fill them. 

 

“Sehun?”

 

He sniffs at the sound of Kai’s voice, quickly rubbing his eyes. “I'm here,” He calls out. Before Kai can see him, he rinses his face off with cold water. Why was he so nasty to Luhan? He knows the boy has been nothing but mean to him but still. Sehun isn’t like that. He should apologize. He clears his throat and forced a smile. “Hey, Kai.”

 

Kai smiles at him but it quickly fades when he sees the boy. “What happened? I saw Luhan storm out of here…he looked pissed.”

 

“I uh...confronted him about cheating,” He admits. He shakes his head and rubs his cheek again. “He didn’t take it well.”

 

The jock glares and turns back toward the door. Sehun quickly goes over and grabs his arm. “Kai, no.”

 

“If he hit you-”

 

“I said some really hurtful stuff, okay? I...I don’t know, I just got nasty.”

 

“Nasty?”

 

“I…” He sighs and rubs his face. “Maybe I was wrong.”

 

“I don’t think so,” Kai says and takes Sehun’s hand, intertwining their fingers. “I just, I see the look Luhan gives Kris when he thinks no one is looking and it’s not good.”

 

Sehun frowns as he’s lead out of the bathroom and into the hall. “It’s not?”

 

“No. I mean, Kris looks unbothered. But Luhan…”

 

The boy stops to look out the window, at the whole group of boys. He sighs when Kris tries to put an arm around Luhan, but the boy gently pushes him away. “I don’t know what to do. Do we just...let this happen?”

 

“There’s nothing we can do,  Sehun. I mean...unless we find proof.”

 

“Proof?”

 

“You know...pictures of them together,” Kai shrugs. “We uh...we can confront him together. Come on, he’s hurting one of my good friends.”

 

“Oh, late-night stakeout?!” Sehun gasps. “With you?”

 

The jock shrugs and puts an arm around him. “Why? Afraid if we spend more time together, you’ll fall for me?”

 

“I think it’s a bit late for that,” Sehun whispers. He blushes at the warm look in Kai’s suddenly soft eyes. “That’s weird. My mom always warned me not to fall for jerks,” He huffs, continuing to walk down the hall.

 

“Hey, come on!” Kai laughs and chases him. Sehun grins as he begins to jog before it slowly turns into running. He giggles as the jock runs after him.

 

“What’s wrong, jock? Not fast enough?” Sehun laughs as well now as they run out into the field by the P.E field. 

 

Kai scoffs as they come to a halt at the top of a hill. “Not fair. You play soccer, which involves A LOT of running.”

 

Sehun snorts. “Excuses, Jongin.” He grins when his back hits a tree, watching as the jock comes in close. “Look, I...I appreciate how considerate you're being. Y-you know, taking it slow….”

 

“Well,” He hums as he rubs Sehun’s arm. “Don’t wanna scare you off.”

 

“You…” He swallows hard. “You really...like me, don’t you?”

 

“Yes,” Kai says firmly. He steps closer, close enough their noses touch. “I adore you.”

 

“A...adore me?”

 

Kai slowly smiles and hums. He steps back, stretching a bit. “You know, taking my time gives me a lot of time to think.”

 

“Think about what?”

 

“Oh, I don't know. Where we can have our first kiss,” He says nonchalantly. 

 

Sehun widens his eyes. “W-what?”

 

“First kisses gotta be memorable and I want you to know I’m serious about you.”

 

“Yeah right,” He huffs and follows Kai as they make their way back to the school.

 

“Ohh, maybe at a party. Dim lights, dancing,” He begins. “Or during a sunset walk on the beach.”

 

Sehun rubs his red cheeks. “S-shut up.”

 

“I don’t know,” He shrugs. “Winter break is coming up and I know a place I could make that happen. On the deck by the lake…”

 

“You’re being ridiculous now…” He mumbles, letting Kai grabs his hand and pulls him over to the parking lot; he had brought his car instead.

 

“On the balcony of your house under the night sky- I know you guys have one.”

 

“Jongin…”

 

“Or what about during a movie, at the theater”

 

“Jongin.”

 

The jock raises a brow and looks at Sehun as he leans against Kai's bike. “What?”

 

“Jongin, what...are you to me?”

 

“What...do you want me to be?”

 

“No, I mean,” Sehun sighs. “What do I call you? I can’t just call you..my friend. O-or boyfriend…”

 

“Why not?”

 

Sehun opens his mouth but slowly closes it. He looks down as he fiddles with Kai’s fingers. “I-I….”

 

“You’re not ready?” Kai asks and hums when Sehun shakes his head. “Then...what do you want me to be?”

 

“Mine,” Sehun says quickly in a whisper. He glances up when arms wrap around him and pull him into a tight embrace.

 

“Then I’m yours,” He chuckles. “No labels, nothing official. We go at your pace but if you want to call me yours…”

 

Sehun closes his eyes and buries his face in Kai’s shoulder. “Why are you so…”

 

“Perfect? Charming? Handsome?” Kai offers and Sehun laughs.

 

“Yeah...those.”

----------------------

What else is there to do at 4:33 am? :D