Sunset

The Uncool Kid

 

 

Sehun sits in the living room the next morning, watching something random on the tv as he snacks on his chocolate. The others had gone to the store after he said he didn’t really want to go. There will be plenty of time to explore later; which Kai promised they’d do together. They figure they’d be nice and give the other couple some alone time. He yawns and looks out the window. It had begun to rain an hour ago. He groans when there’s a loud knock at the door, causing him to set his food down. He mutes the tv before standing and answering the damn door. “Yes, can I…” Sehun stares at Luhan; wet from the rain, his makeup running. He can already tell the boy has been crying. “Help you? Um, Luhan? What...what are you doing here?”

 

“I’m sorry,” Luhan sobs, wiping his eyes. “I didn’t know who else to go to!”

 

Sehun slowly nods, stepping to the side and letting his step-brother inside. “Did you drive here yourself, Luhan?” He asks, opening a nearby closet and pulling out a towel. 

 

“Yes,” the boy mutters and dries himself off. “I...I’m sorry for just...showing  up.”

 

The boy shakes his head, motioning for him to sit on a chair. “It’s fine. I’m just...confused.” He feels awkward when the lavender-haired boy begins to cry again, accepting when handed a tissue. 

 

“I know…” He sniffs. “I know you hate me and in the bathroom-”

 

“I thought you were cheating on Kris.”

 

Luhan scoffs and shrugs. “It’s funny, isn’t it? You were accusing me of it a-and yet…”

 

Sehun stares at him for a moment before widening his eyes. “A-are you saying...Kris cheated on you?”

 

“It’s been going on for WEEKS!” he wails. “I didn’t know what to do!”

 

“You went to Xiumin…”

 

“Yeah,” He scoffs. “I...I snuck out every night to get his advice. We’ve um...we’ve been talking about it for a while. H-h-he got this photo for me.” Sehun frowns when Luhan hands him his phone after bringing up a photo. It seems to be a picture taken stealthily of Kris in a car with some girl. Sehun thinks he’s seen her around with some of her friends. “We were supposed to go to Namsan tower b-but…”

 

“You couldn’t bring yourself to?”

 

“No,” Luhan shakes his head. 

 

Sehun looks at him oddly before handing the phone back to him. “Can I ask you something?” when his step-brother nods. “Be...honest. Why are you so...weird about me dating Kai?”

 

Luhan groans and leans back as if he knew it’d come up. He fiddles with his bracelet for a moment before shaking his head. “Kai is apart of my inner circle, right?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“I...may not have handled it well but I’ve...I’ve noticed things, Sehun. How some people try to get close to you just for me and,” He takes a deep breath. “I thought Kai might’ve been doing the same and that pissed me off.”

 

Sehun raises his brows. “So you were, what, worried for me?”

 

“I didn’t show it very well, did I?” He whispers.

 

“And in the bathroom-”

 

“I don’t know, Sehun,” Luhan interrupts. “I just got frustrated, okay? I-I didn't handle anything well, especially with all of the with Kris going on…” 

 

The boy just shrugs. “It’s fine, Luhan.”

 

“B-but I hit you-”

 

“I was bullied in elementary, dude. You slap like a nine-year-old girl.”

 

Luhan laughs weakly and rubs his eyes childishly. “You really like him, huh?”

 

Sehun smiles fondly as he thinks about it. “Kai? Yeah,” he admits. “I do.”

 

“And he likes you,” Luhan admits. “He talks about you a lot, you know.”

 

“He...does?”

 

“Yeah,” His step-brother slowly nods. “He talks about how...talented and nice you are. It’s uh...pretty obvious he’s super into you.” It’s a little obvious by the way Kai speaks to him but he didn't know he talked about him to his friends. So why is he still nervous? They both look up when the door opens and closes, conversation can now be heard. It stops, however, when they all see Luhan. “Um...hey, guys.” the boy greets quietly, glancing over to Sehun.”

 

“What’s he doing here?” Baekhyun asks, setting a bag down. 

 

“I came here after I um…” He lets out a shaky sigh.

 

“We had it wrong, Kai,” Sehun speaks up. 

 

Kai raises a brow, “We did?”

 

“Yeah...It uh...turns out,” He looks back to Luhan, unsure if he should say. When his step-brother nods and looks down, he goes on. “It turns out Kris has been cheating on Luhan and…he goes to Minseok for advice.”

 

“And you believe him?”

 

“Yeah, he does have photo evidence,” Sehun points out, motioning to Luhan’s phone. His step-brother once again pulls it up and shows it to the others.

 

 Kai sighs and rubs his face. “, man. What’re you gonna do?”

 

“I don’t know,” Luhan whispers. “If it’s okay, I’ll...I’ll drive back tomorrow.”

 

“I don’t mind if you guys don’t,” Sehun says. “We have an extra room, don’t we?” Both Chanyeol and Baekhyun shrug before heading to the kitchen; not seeming to care either way. Kai, on the other hand, looks a bit more peeved. Sehun reaches over and grabs his hand. “Come on. It won’t hurt, right?”

 

Kai takes a deep breath. “He hit you.”

 

“It was barely a slap,” Sehun assures. “I knew a girl in elementary school that hit harder than him. And...I did say some pretty ty things.”

 

The jock stares down at him for a moment before groaning. “Damn my soft spot for you. But you owe me.”

 

“Owe you what?” Sehun pulls the coupons from his pants pocket and sets them into Kai’s hoodie, patting it. “Like a fried chicken date on the beach?”  the boy raises a brow when Kai breaks into a lazy smile; his favorite kind. The kind that makes him weak in the knees. 

 

He purses his lips and looks out at the rain. “The weather report says it’ll be sunny tomorrow.”

 

“Pick me up at sunset?”

 

“No problem considering we share a room,” Kai winks and clicks his tongue before joining the others.

 

“Um, you guys are sharing a room?” Luhan asks in shock. “Have you two…?”

 

“Have we what?” Sehun stares at him for a moment. “Oh...OH! Oh my god, no!  No, no, no,” He laughs nervously and stands. “N-no, it’s just um...we just share the bed. You know, cuddle stuff but that’s it! Fully clothed, cuddle stuff!”

 

“...Are you a ?”

 

Sehun crosses his arms. “Yeah, so?” His step-brother shakes his head and shrugs. “Surprising to you?”

 

“Not really?” Luhan admits.

 

“...Yeah, that's fair,” Sehun mumbles. “I’m not really worried about that, to be honest. I’m more worried about...you know, the actual...I have no idea what we are.”

 

“That’s dumb.”

 

“What? How?”

 

His step-brother shrugs and looks at his phone. “It’s obvious Kai and you are hella crazy about each other. I think it’s stupid to not do something about it.”

 

Sehun scoffs and stands. “I have trust issues, remember?” He leaves and enters the kitchen, putting his index finger up as soon as he sees the others. “He’s only here ONE night,” He whispers harshly. “ONE. NIGHT.”

 

“Is he driving you insane?” Chanyeol asks. “I was once stuck in the bathroom, peeing next to him. It was the most awkward minute of my life. I think he was trying to peek at my kingdom!”

 

“That’s...a weird way to put it, Chanyeol,” Kai speaks up. “But we get it.”

 

Baekhyun sighs and leans on the counter. “Guys, come on. The guy found out his boyfriend is cheating on him,” He says, all of their voices still low. “I think we outta be nice to him, alright?” He looks at everyone as they look ashamed. 

 

“Hey, can you guys go back to the store and buy ice cream and alcohol if I give you my fake ID?!” Luhan calls out from the living room. “I wanna get drunk and cry all night while watching The Notebook over and over!”

 

Kai puts his hands on his hips and glares at Baekhyun. The petite slowly nods and looks up. “He’s leaving first thing in the morning.”

 

“Yuuuuup,” Chanyeol says from the fridge. “Yup, yup, yuup.”

 

“Yeah. One night.”



 

“Do you think Luhan will be alright?” Sehun asks as he follows Kai down the stairs. When they step outside, he almost wants to sigh at how gorgeous the sky looks; Oranges and pinks slowly overtaking blue. It reflects in the water like a watery mirror. Even if they need their jackets and shoes on the beach, it feels nice out here; his gloved hand in Kai’s as they walk toward the shore.

 

“I’m sure he’ll be fine, Sehun,” Kai replies.

 

“But this morning he said ‘Toodaloo es!’, got in his car, and then cried for an hour while listening to The Beatles,” he begins. “And then he blasted heavy metal and smacked his head on his steering wheel.”

 

Kai rolls his eyes. “And as hilarious but sad as that was to watch, I don’t care, okay? I gave him several chances to be a good, nice person and he’s ignored all of them.” He smiles as soon as they reach a dry spot close to the shore and pulls Sehun down with him. “Now if you don’t mind, I’d like to put Luhan completely out of heads and enjoy our date.”

 

“Okay,” Sehun sighs as he leans his back against Kai’s chest, resting between his legs. “So, we’ll get the chicken after?”

 

“Nope,” The jock rests his head on Sehun’s shoulder. “No chicken today.”

 

“What? But you love it. And you have those coupons…”

 

“Nope.”

 

“Well, fine,” He sighs and leans a cheek against Kai’s arm, which wraps around his shoulders. “We have two weeks.” The light breeze, salty smell of the sea, and the orange tint as the sun sets is enough to calm the two. He shuts his eyes to listen carefully as the ocean kisses the shore. He’s never heard anything more peaceful than this. And yet he can’t help but think back on his conversation with his step-brother from the night before. Kai was the main subject and how much Sehun cares for him. He never thought he would end up on a beach with a man he thought asked him out as a joke. But as their fingers intertwine, with a thumb gently caressing the back of Sehun’s hand. It stirs warmth from inside. It’s the same thing like makes him begin to tear up and blink rapidly to try to hold them back. Because he knows if he lets one single fall, everything will come out. 

 

“Hey,” Kai murmurs in his ear. “Thank you for coming out with me, Sehun.”

 

Sehun’s eyes feel a slight sting now and his lip begins to quiver. He tries to swallow the lump in his throat. “Damn it, Jongin,” he sniffs. 

 

“What?” Kai tries to look at him but Sehun keeps hiding his face. “Sehun, are you crying?”

 

Sighing, he looks back at the jock with blurry eyes and shakes his head. “No…”

 

“Not yet! What’s wrong? Did I do something?”

 

Sehun lets go of Kai’s hand and turns to face him with his legs crossed. “No,” He replies. “You didn’t do anything wrong and I’m just thinking through some stuff.”

 

“You wanna talk about it?”

 

Sehun stares at him and thinks about it. He watches carefully as the wind gently brushes through his dark hair, his tan skin tinted orange from the retreating sun. Dark eyes kind, sweet and affectionate. He slowly smiles and shakes his head. “No, I don’t.” When he touches Kai’s cheek, it’s warm and soft. His heart is pounding and his stomach seems to refuse to sit still, fluttering. He’s suddenly scared. His hand trembles.  But the look in Kai’s eyes urges him closer. Their lips meet before Sehun remembers to take a breath and before he can lose his damn nerve. He starts to get nervous when the jock doesn’t do anything, thinking about pulling back. The fingers softly rubbing his neck changes his mind and causes him to grab onto Kai’s shirt. His heart beats faster when his partner deepens their kiss. All of him flutters. 

 

When he ungracefully scoots closer, the jock laughs into the kiss. His palms get all sweaty and it causes him to lean back. But regardless, he can’t help and smile shyly. He nervously looks down, unable to meet Kai’s gaze. “I…”

 

“Told you.”

 

“T-told me what?”

 

“That our first kiss would be special,” he shrugs. “On a beach during a sunset.”

 

“Kai, I-I’m sorry. I should have asked you first! That was…”

 

Kai shakes his head. He lazily smiles before leaning in, pressing a kiss on Sehun’s lips; soft and careful. “Perfect?”

 

Sehun laughs now. “Yeah...perfect. D-did I ruin your perfect plan for our first kiss?”

 

“Nope, you fell right into my web,” Kai jokes, grabbing Sehun’s hand as he stands. “I planned for us to kiss here all along. I just…” He steps closer to Sehun and grabs his cheeks. “I didn’t expect you to...kiss me first.” He lets out a shaky sigh when he kisses his forehead. “Let's go back inside, okay?”

 

Sehun nods. “Okay."